Heroic Hellion's Budget is HUGE

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do you think the Heroic Hellion starts with too much money?

Yes
22%
No
56%
Maybe
22%
Don't know/care
No votes

Total votes: 9

Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Heroic Hellion's Budget is HUGE

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I just bought Armageddon Unlimited and was going over the new power categories they have in there. Basically Heroic Hellion allows you to build a demon from scratch. Which is all well and good, but how do they justify giving the thing such a huge amount of starting cash? As a GM, I would drop the amounts to more reasonable levels. The character is already badass, it's not like they have to buy a bunch of stuff to be even more so.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Heroic Hellion's Budget is HUGE

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) yes
2) no
3) maybe
4) all of the above
5) Don't know/care

since the char is a Immortal the top amounts are not out of range of those that have been around for a while. However, the top of the range does not match the top of the range savings from the table in the Immortals Power cat.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:since the char is a Immortal the top amounts are not out of range of those that have been around for a while. However, the top of the range does not match the top of the range savings from the table in the Immortals Power cat.
I suppose it is in line with the Immortal category, but I guess I just don't think a character with all that the Heroic Hellion has going for it really needs a lot of money.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

I figure that is one book I will have to break down and buy as it has powers but no one will divulge what those powers are.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SittingBull wrote:I figure that is one book I will have to break down and buy as it has powers but no one will divulge what those powers are.

Minor Powers
Energy Expulsion:
-Explosive Fireballs
-Demonic Fury
-Divine Energy
Limb Possesion
Sense the Supernatural
Summon Lesser Demon/Devil
Summon and Command Small Animals

Major Powers
Alter Dimensional Fabric
Alter Physical Structure: Silver
Command the Lieutenants of Hell
Complete Possession
Demon Fists
Drought
Energy Drain & Expulsion: Life Source
Energy Expulsion:
-Dimensional Energy
-Petrification Blast
-Soul Blast
Mater Expulsion Silver
Portal
Possession: Super Abilities
Summon & Command:
-Large Animals
-Demonic Netherbeasts
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SittingBull
Hero

eliakon wrote:
SittingBull wrote:I figure that is one book I will have to break down and buy as it has powers but no one will divulge what those powers are.

Minor Powers
Energy Expulsion:
-Explosive Fireballs
-Demonic Fury
-Divine Energy
Limb Possesion
Sense the Supernatural
Summon Lesser Demon/Devil
Summon and Command Small Animals

Major Powers
Alter Dimensional Fabric
Alter Physical Structure: Silver
Command the Lieutenants of Hell
Complete Possession
Demon Fists
Drought
Energy Drain & Expulsion: Life Source
Energy Expulsion:
-Dimensional Energy
-Petrification Blast
-Soul Blast
Mater Expulsion Silver
Portal
Possession: Super Abilities
Summon & Command:
-Large Animals
-Demonic Netherbeasts

Wonder if APS silver is a solid form, I figure it is.

Possession: super abilities?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

APS Silver is functionally the same as APS Metal... with the advantage that you can serious harm most supernatural beings (and extra damage to those who have a vulnerability to Silver).

As for their starting funds... remember that Heroic Hellions may have been around for a long time before becoming enlightened... long enough to potentially have a substantial fortune... provided they were interested in such things. The amount they start with is likely a fraction of what they had... and is likely all they were able to take with them before escaping whatever hell dimension they originated from... likely in the form or precious metals and gemstones (easily carried and liquidated into local currency in most places).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

SittingBull wrote:Possession: super abilities?
It basically allows the character to activate a target's powers. There is no aiming of said powers unless Limb Possession is also taken.
SittingBull
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
SittingBull wrote:Possession: super abilities?
It basically allows the character to activate a target's powers. There is no aiming of said powers unless Limb Possession is also taken.

Neat.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Not sure what the difference between complete possession and Transferal/possession from the main book are?

But to answer the OP, of course he's go money. Money's the root of all Evil, remember? So of course big E Evil has loads of money. It won't save your soul, but you can be rich all you want in life....

...and, of course, trying to use the money to directly do good will misfire at best(if used carefully), or backfire entirely(if not). And while you can use it selfishly reliably, trying to use it to actually make yourself happy never works....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

I would say that given the Heroic Hellion is functionally a Mega-Hero (it uses the Mega-Hero experience chart, and has to choose an Achilles heel from the Mega-Hero list) that the budget is within reason.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

If I was an immortal demon I'd be amassing wealth.
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Immortal Demons collect VAST amounts of money (unless they use another currency, like say souls, but they'd probably still have a lot of wealth to buy them off people, etc), because money = power, even if you were only in a dimension that was moniless you'd have access to a lot of jewels or trinkets to sell for quite a bit upon changing your ways (and again can't change the world without money it seems to most practical people).

Heck you can make $1000 a day panhandling in a major city, just think about if you were immortal and changing your ways even begging you'd accrue a lot of money over time. Seems both easily justified and reasonable. Depending on your campaign though it could most be in an unexchangable currency or goods or one that is very valuable to some but difficult to trade for (say the game takes place in a country/zone with brand new currency that isn't exchanging non-precious metals or goods, etc). But just as is presented in rules and most of the basic settings having as much money as they have would be appropriate. What the heck would they spend it on though, probably helping ohers or building a corporation to change the world though? They don't have much use for it themselves so it would just accrue wildly methinks.

Really depends on backstory here. So a GREAT place to flesh out a character with nitty gritty details and history for the player!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”