Hardware: Electronics (revised)

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fermat
Explorer

Hardware: Electronics (revised)

Unread post by Fermat »

So far my players like this change on the standard version, how does everyone else take it?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hardware: Electronics

Skills
• Chemistry: Basic (+15%)
• Cryptography (+20%)
• General Repair and Maintenance (+15%)
• Math: Advanced (+25%)
• Mechanics: Basic (+15%)
• Photography (+15%)
• Research (+25%)
• Three Mechanical and Science of Choice (+15%)

Special Skill: Electronics Mastery (60/5%)
The Hardware: Electronics genius has an incredible understanding of all elements of electronics. This mastery covers the entire breadth of the Electronics skill category. The HW character uses this skill to build a device or evaluate one, to hotwire a control panel or hack an international bank; and to defend a secure satellite uplink or jam an opponent's radio signal. Simply put, the character no longer requires other Electronic skills (or most in the Communication category), because this skill supersedes them. Just as before, their skill may go over 98% to handle penalties.
Despite the fact that all HW: Electronics characters start on the same foundation, the individuals end up in drastically different places. Instead, each character focuses on certain fields. This allows a broad range of possible geniuses, including the ultimate hacker, the communication guru, or the surveillance expert. At first level, choose two specialties. Whenever attempting to perform something in that specialty, treat their Electronics Mastery score as +20%. At every third level, the player can elect to add another specialty instead of a secondary skill.

Specializations
• Communication Systems: Radio systems, Fiber Optics, Satellite Systems, Scramblers, etc.
• Computer Hacking
• Computer Hardware: Microchips, Circuit boards, Drives, Monitors, etc.
• Computer Software: Artificial Intelligence, Analysis programs, Games, Malware, etc.
• Cybertechnology: Implants and Interfaces (Does not cover surgery)
• Electronic Countermeasures: Jamming, Interrupts, Cloaks, etc.
• Hot Wiring: Physically breaking into and taking over devices
• Robotics
• Power Systems: Batteries, Capacitors, Generators, Resistors, etc.
• Sensor Systems: Scanners, Optics, Microphones, Surveillance systems

Skills: +10% Mechanical and Science

New Penalties
• Modelling/Emulation Software: -10% tp -40%
• Virtual Reality: -15%
• Evolving System: -20%
• Hardening: -2% per -1% penalty (to opposed skills: Hacking, Decryption, Tapping, etc.)
• Upgrading existing device/system/program: -15%
• Redundant Systems: -10% per backup
• Independent Power system: -10%
• Self-Destructing: -15%

Options
If the character has specialized in Cybernetics and the GM allows it, then the character may have 1d4 cybernetic implants. Optics, organs, ears, and cyberdisguises are all options, but cyberlimbs and cyberarmor are not. If they use this option, this represents their total budget.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re: Hardware: Electronics (revised)

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Fermat wrote:snip....
Special Skill: Electronics Mastery (60/5%)
The Hardware: Electronics genius has an incredible understanding of all elements of electronics. This mastery covers the entire breadth of the Electronics skill category. The HW character uses this skill to build a device or evaluate one, to hot-wire a control panel or hack an international bank; and to defend a secure satellite uplink or jam an opponent's radio signal. Simply put, the character no longer requires other Electronic skills (or most in the Communication category), because this skill supersedes them. Just as before, their skill may go over 98% to handle penalties.
Despite the fact that all HW: Electronics characters start on the same foundation, the individuals end up in drastically different places. Instead, each character focuses on certain fields. This allows a broad range of possible geniuses, including the ultimate hacker, the communication guru, or the surveillance expert. At first level, choose two specialties. Whenever attempting to perform something in that specialty, treat their Electronics Mastery score as +20%. At every third level, the player can elect to add another specialty instead of a secondary skill.

...snip...
New Penalties
• Modeling/Emulation Software: -10% to -40%
• Virtual Reality: -15%
• Evolving System: -20%
• Hardening: -2% per -1% penalty (to opposed skills: Hacking, Decryption, Tapping, etc.)
• Upgrading existing device/system/program: -15%
• Redundant Systems: -10% per backup
• Independent Power system: -10%
• Self-Destructing: -15%

...snip

Special Skill: Electronics Mastery....The electronics skills are related to building the electronics not using them. They do not include the skills that use the electronics. Skills using the electronics are the realm of the char's specialization. In Fact, this skill should be more like the Gizmoteer Basic Construction Skill from the N&S setting then the "IS ALL" "I have all the tech using skills" you have written it up as.
Yes, skill would "play well" with the char's Specialization in that it could be used in place of the normal skill of the char specialization.

• Hardening....there are a few types: physical hardening that makes the electronics resistant to physical attacks like EMPs (i.e.: why the space program uses electronics a decade out of date because it takes that long to figure out to harden the electronics), and shielding the electronics from remote EM detection/tapping (reading the EM signals the electronics inherently makes to read what the tech is doing).
Then there are the Hardening vs Hacking. Which covers getting remote access to the electronics via the inter web (wired or wi-fi).
Encryption is encryption.

After saying that, it would not cover is protecting vs signal intercept.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sun Nov 22, 2015 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Special Skill: Electronics Mastery....The electronics skills are related to building the electronics not using them. They do not include the skills that use the electronics. Skills using the electronics are the realm of the char's specialization. In Fact, this skill should be more like the Gizmoteer Basic Construction Skill from the N&S setting then the "IS ALL" "I have all the tech using skills" you have written it up as.
Yes, skill would "play well" with the char's Specialization in that it could be used in place of the normal skill of the char specialization.

• Hardening....there are a few types: physical hardening that makes the electronics resistant to physical attacks like EMPs (i.e.: why the space program uses electronics a decade out of date because it takes that long to figure out to harden the electronics), and shielding the electronics from remote EM detection/tapping (reading the EM signals the electronics inherently makes to read what the tech is doing).
Then there are the Hardening vs Hacking. Which covers getting remote access to the electronics via the inter web (wired or wi-fi).
Encryption is encryption.

What the would not cover is protecting vs signal intercept.

To be honest, that was some of the point of the skill. I understand the Electronics skills are primarily about the construction, but I found it a bit off-putting that a genius whose entire claim to being a superhero is his brilliant understanding of electronics can't use a radio. I took the fact that HW: Weapons got the ability to use their devices, and extrapolated it. Especially since the construction and use are more closely wedded than in Mechanics or Weapons. This cleans up the sheet from having to maintain numerous skills that will never be used and tries to reflect that they are the best of the best at what they do. My players think this makes the class more attractive without being overpowering, and makes it easier to use as a side bonus.

As for Hardening, I know that its more precise than what I use it for, but I wanted a general penalty to reflect building devices that are difficult to interfere with, 'hardening' seemed the best concise option.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

So this person should be able to easily figure out how to make a railgun or coilgun right? Though can they construct it or make the parts? Or would that take a class Hardware: Manufacturing who then have to go to Hardware: Production guys to get it mass produced. Of course that is after they go to the Hardware: Prototyping guy and the Hardware: Fabrication guy and the Hardware: Materials guy who has to go to Hardware:Metallurgy and Hardware: Petrochemical guys.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

I can understand, mostly, the division of skills, and the system does allow for using tangential skills to accomplish similar goals. If you have a character with Electrical Engineer, would you let them try to figure out a Radio without the Radio skill? How about a camera? If the answer is no because there is an existing skill, then between Surveillance Systems, the Communication category, Computer skills, and the other Electronics skills themselves what does Electrical Engineering do? This revision was an attempt to replace skills that a HW: Electronics character won't use, keep them as experts in their field, and let them distinguish between themselves.

As to letting them build an energy weapon, I'd probably let them try. They understand most of the components, power sources, energy control, precision timing, transmission, and so forth. I would inflict penalties on them for not really dealing with projectiles, aiming, aerodynamics, and other elements. Ironically, while a HW: Weapons can probably build a better final product, an Electronics genius can probably build one from more base components.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

If the Hardware char duals up electric-weapons, Yes, the char should be able to make a gauss- or rail-gun....in the artillery range 1st and maybe after that in the smallarms range.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Fermat
Explorer

Unread post by Fermat »

Does anyone see any problems or improvements?

If not, I was going to send it on its way to the Black Vault.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

Fermat wrote:I can understand, mostly, the division of skills, and the system does allow for using tangential skills to accomplish similar goals. If you have a character with Electrical Engineer, would you let them try to figure out a Radio without the Radio skill? How about a camera? If the answer is no because there is an existing skill, then between Surveillance Systems, the Communication category, Computer skills, and the other Electronics skills themselves what does Electrical Engineering do? This revision was an attempt to replace skills that a HW: Electronics character won't use, keep them as experts in their field, and let them distinguish between themselves.

As to letting them build an energy weapon, I'd probably let them try. They understand most of the components, power sources, energy control, precision timing, transmission, and so forth. I would inflict penalties on them for not really dealing with projectiles, aiming, aerodynamics, and other elements. Ironically, while a HW: Weapons can probably build a better final product, an Electronics genius can probably build one from more base components.

An HW: Electronics should be able to build a more efficient/powerful EW too. Maybe just not as sturdy or a long ranged with projectiles.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”