Help me flesh out a campaign?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Aaryq
Adventurer

Help me flesh out a campaign?

Unread post by Aaryq »

Howdy, folks.
I'm playing the Palladium system less and less. I'll post about that later, but I wanted to end my regular Palladium play with the game that got me into Palladium in the first place so: HEROES!

My setting will be slightly in the future in Seattle. I'm going to start out with generic crime-fighting until 2nd level. At 2nd level, the PC's will gain enough notoriety to be contacted by a group of fellow heroes. Because two of the players are under 18 and my awesome nephew and niece, I'm going to try to keep it contemporary (and will likely end up being an old fogey trying to be hip). Essentially the heroes of the world are just like the modern day "Super Heroes." Regular Joes who fight crime in their spare time with a few people affluent enough to fight crime full time and sponsor an organization of heroes. But the organization isn't like the Super Nouns, but more like facebook. Essentially if you're a hero, you'll be given information to get to a website by another hero. They'll spend some time vetting you (we don't want super villains in our midst) and eventually give you credentials to get onto the website. On that website, heroes can log in and share information, meet up with other heroes to form super groups (like Damn Yankees...wait...wrong super group) and so on. For you super internet savvy types, if there's a way that I can make more sense of it
When they get accepted into the heroes website (Let's call it Heroes Unlimited) they'll receive information about a criminal lead in Malibu (plot twist, it's Malibu, British Columbia...I'll take time and let you google that). Because it's the future and I'm the GM, the summer camp that is there has been replaced by a large complex built by disgraced doctor who used to be the chief medical official for the Canadian Ministry of Foreign Affairs (TLDR, he ended up killing two RCMP officers who were preparing to go to Afghanistan to train the Afghan National Police while conducting consensual but illegal experiments on them). How the story goes is that he's turned his middle-of-nowhere camp into his own experimental haven. He's hired on a few engineers and their goal is to make super soldiers. At first, when the RCMP officers were killed, he was working on the super soldier to help his country. After losing his medical license and status, he decided to continue to pursue the super soldier option for anyone: Russians, Chinese, Norks, AQ, etc. His engineers are all recent masters graduates, as well as a brand new doctor (someone has to have a medical license to buy some of these drugs, amirite?). Long story short, his candidates went from willing volunteers to the dregs of society. His chief of security has an extensive letter-writing campaign with the prisons in the Pacific Northwest. As his "friends" from the outside are released, they'll basically kidnap the newly freed violent offenders and bring them back for experiments.
Experiments are normally under the Super Soldier table or occasionally, when his engineers get over-zealous, will be bionics. Data is collected and then depending on how the experimentee behaves s/he will either be welcomed into the security force or liquidated.

That's all I have right now. I'm running into what I run into a lot which is a good setting but not sure where to take it from there. Any input?
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: Help me flesh out a campaign?

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Well, is your villain making super soldiers just for the money? Does he believe in forwarding human evolution with a little "help", maybe he wants the money he can make from the project to fund something more insidious?

Like, turning everyone into a "super soldier", which through manipulation of their bodies, he inserts the protocols to control them, hence enslaving all mankind, mwahahahahahaha...basically your villain should have a goal, and his actions come from his motivation.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Yeah, I'd agree, if your doctor can provide any sort of consistent results, he should be able to make some serious scratch by selling super soldiers to bad guys. Drug cartels, war lords, rouge nations and secret societies. All of the usual suspects.

This gives you the ability to send a lot of different groups at the PCs while only needing one source to explain it all and giving the players a single thread that ties it all together.

Local drug lord uses grants super powers to his most trusted men. But he shouldn't have, after the PCs have beaten up a few of his super humans, a couple of others go rouge and the drug lord decides to drag them back, chaos in the city as violence erupts between the two factions. As a kicker after the crisis dies down. It turns out two the guys who are doing time out on Whidbey Island aren't the guys the PCs beat up and sent to jail. They're stand ins doing time in the super villains' place. I wonder where those two went.

high tech company that uses the power injected into the a character who acts as the living battery for a suit of power armor (or one suit to battle each PC, depending on how tough they are). But the process has driven the pilot(s) crazy. They go on a rampage with the armor.

A ship leaves from a King county dock with X+1 doses of the super drug. It's supposed to be headed for Soul South Korea. But the PCs discover a day or so after it leaves harbor that the drug is actually going to North Korea. Now what?

And out of work computer tech, who helped develop software for one of the area's big computer companies was screwed out of his fair share of the profits. He stole some money (via the computer of course) and bought himself super powers. A power set that let's him actually move into the machine realm (Cyberjacking across the megaverse style). His attacks on the company's systems is placing the entire nation's computer network at risk, both from him and from bad actors in other nations. The government needs the PCs help.

The child of the (insert important figure here) is dying, but doctors think that some of the super drug, if it's the right one, in a very small amount, could save the child. The PCs need to get a hold of the sample. I wonder if either Murphy's law or the law of unintended consequences could be in effect here?
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Aaryq
Adventurer

Unread post by Aaryq »

Awesome! Thanks for the input. For my villain (he doesn't have a super name, just Dr. Helmsfield), his motivation will flow from wanting to prove his theory works to greed and finally to be driven mad with power.
There should be a specific sub-forum of the Rifts forum dedicated to the only hope for salvation of the human race, the Coalition States.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Aaryq wrote:Awesome! Thanks for the input. For my villain (he doesn't have a super name, just Dr. Helmsfield), his motivation will flow from wanting to prove his theory works to greed and finally to be driven mad with power.

Absolutely. Glad to help.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”