Gather 'round for 'pinion time boys and girls.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Gather 'round for 'pinion time boys and girls.

Unread post by SittingBull »

APS Liquid (water) and APS Mercury are both powers that turn you completely into a liquid of one form of another. APS Mercury states specifically that the character must still breathe and is vulnerable to gas attacks, while under APS Liquid (again presumed water) it says nothing in either form regarding this. Most GMs, I have seen, ruling over this power just automatically go with APS Liquid doesn't need to breathe.

Do you think this was an oversight on APS Liquid or some added disadvantage to APS Mercury?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Gather 'round for 'pinion time boys and girls.

Unread post by Glistam »

An added disadvantage to APS Mercury.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Glistam wrote:An added disadvantage to APS Mercury.

Same.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

What reductions to APS Mercury would you think would allow for no breathing?
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

SittingBull wrote:What reductions to APS Mercury would you think would allow for no breathing?

I wouldn't. Not at lower levels at least.
Maybe at somewhere above level 7 would I let the char "learn" how to make gills out the "tentacle' sub-power. But with the gills only working in water. And such a "Learning" would be a GM fiat sort of mod.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I ignore both. If your body is made of water, "liquid", mercury, ice, metal, whatever as long as it's a single homogeneous material, you no longer have a metabolism that chemically reacts something with oxygen to survive. As such, breathing is no longer required.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

SittingBull wrote:What reductions to APS Mercury would you think would allow for no breathing?

You typically get more than one power selection, I would say if that's something the player wants then they need to also acquire a power which provides that benefit rather than trying to shoehorn it into an existing power.

Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

flatline wrote:I ignore both. If your body is made of water, "liquid", mercury, ice, metal, whatever as long as it's a single homogeneous material, you no longer have a metabolism that chemically reacts something with oxygen to survive. As such, breathing is no longer required.

For the sake of simplicity i do this too
The Dragon Has Spoken
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

SittingBull wrote:APS Liquid (water) and APS Mercury are both powers that turn you completely into a liquid of one form of another. APS Mercury states specifically that the character must still breathe and is vulnerable to gas attacks, while under APS Liquid (again presumed water) it says nothing in either form regarding this. Most GMs, I have seen, ruling over this power just automatically go with APS Liquid doesn't need to breathe.

Do you think this was an oversight on APS Liquid or some added disadvantage to APS Mercury?

Neither. APS Liquid characters do breathe, except when merged with water.

HU2, p. 246 (emphasis added):

3. Water Merge: The character can completely merge into water and cannot be seen. In the water form, the character does not breathe in the conventional sense (the water is oxygenated);

This means that the character does require oxygen, and therefore would be vulnerable to suffocation and gas attacks (including pollution or deoxygenation of a body of water that the character is merged with).
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
SittingBull wrote:APS Liquid (water) and APS Mercury are both powers that turn you completely into a liquid of one form of another. APS Mercury states specifically that the character must still breathe and is vulnerable to gas attacks, while under APS Liquid (again presumed water) it says nothing in either form regarding this. Most GMs, I have seen, ruling over this power just automatically go with APS Liquid doesn't need to breathe.

3. Water Merge: The character can completely merge into water and cannot be seen. In the water form, the character does not breathe in the conventional sense (the water is oxygenated);

This means that the character does require oxygen, and therefore would be vulnerable to suffocation and gas attacks (including pollution or deoxygenation of a body of water that the character is merged with).

Bingo.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

The Artist Formerly wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

Bingo.

So tell me, if the character is made of 100% mercury, what does he need the oxygen *for*?
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

flatline wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

Bingo.

So tell me, if the character is made of 100% mercury, what does he need the oxygen *for*?

I don't know, I'm not an expert in mercurial biology.

Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

flatline wrote:So tell me, if the character is made of 100% mercury, what does he need the oxygen *for*?

To live, apparently. :fool:
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

flatline wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

Bingo.

My Opinion on the matter would be that when the character transforms (be it APS power or other in general) they are essentially making one body "tangible" and the other one (or multiples if they have multiple transformation powers) "intangible" like the Major Power. In this way the character still has to breathe since intangible characters still have to breathe. Now some situations might allow the character to "breathe" via the tangible body (like APS: Liquid's Water Merge). This might not work for all situations (like size manipulation) that transform characters, but it would seem to explain why APS characters still need to breathe.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

flatline wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

Bingo.

Can't be made out of 100% mercury (like substance, according to the power, not actually mercury). Otherwise the character couldn't think or act or shape itself. 100% mercury like substances wouldn't have any brain cells. There must be something more going own.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Regarding APS: Liquid

Actually, it does mention breathing. Page 284, "Water Merge", In water form, the character does NOT need to breathe in the conventional sense (the water is oxygenated); thus he can stay in or under water for an indefinite period of time.

Regarding gases: Page 285, under #5 "Limited Invulnerability" - Just before it mentions electricity, it says Also, gases do no damage

Mercury does NOT have oxygen as part of its make-up, so you have nothing to breathe "from yourself".
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

NMI wrote:Regarding APS: Liquid

Actually, it does mention breathing. Page 284, "Water Merge", In water form, the character does NOT need to breathe in the conventional sense (the water is oxygenated); thus he can stay in or under water for an indefinite period of time.

Regarding gases: Page 285, under #5 "Limited Invulnerability" - Just before it mentions electricity, it says Also, gases do no damage

Mercury does NOT have oxygen as part of its make-up, so you have nothing to breathe "from yourself".

This.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”