Map Help?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Map Help?

Unread post by Glistam »

For an upcoming game the heroes will be facing off against a villain and his goons in a steel mill factory. I've been looking online but I haven't found any good maps or layouts of such places that seemed to work for a visual aid we can use with figures. Anyone have any ideas of suggestions that could work for this? I'm kind of at a loss here.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Re: Map Help?

Unread post by Bill »

The authenticity that a real floorplan could lend you would be great. I think you may have an easier time drawing up your own maps based on photos of mills, which there are lots of on the Internet, though. That would allow you to focus on what you want to accomplish with the scene, and intentionally include crucibles, ore grinders, or triphammers as hazardous obstacles.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

There are some images here that should work for you.

http://tinyurl.com/panm36g
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Pretty cool NMI :ok:
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Pretty cool search results, but ultimately don't serve my needs. I feel like I put myself into a corner here by making the villain's lair a steelworks when I didn't have a map/diagram of that sort of location prepared. There will be a lot of fighting in this place, and I had hoped to have a map which could be used to help coordinate and illustrate the chaos.

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

First of all, a steel mill or steelworks is probably going to be a complex of several buildings (especially if they process their own ore). What I suspect you're thinking of is a foundry. The one with big buckets of molten metal pouring everywhere, right? I think a foundry is usually like a warehouse with some big machinery against the walls and stacks and rows of molds/forms, finished pieces, and raw materials (scrap, ore, ingots...or whatever those called when it's steel)

Anyway, this site is from a UK company that sells stuff to pour the"sand" and has some foundry layout suggestions for their equipment. Scroll down to "foundry layouts" list of PDFs. #10 might be especially useful, 11 is good, 12 has a top down view, as does 14. Actually 14 might make the best one.

http://www.google.com/patents/US20050072552 this patent might be useful, but it is specifically designed to reduce the space for humans, and might not be appropriate for a climactic superhero battle.

You're probably thinking something more like this

But aside from the foundry part, there might be an office area inside (sometimes it looks like a little plywood house built right in the middle of the warehouse), and probably machine shops to work cast pieces. I'd probably put those off to a side in, like, bays. Also there's bound to be a tool shop and other support/maintenance-type stuff (could be in another building of course) and things like forklift parking stalls, unless it is all done by cranes, it's going to depend on what they make, I guess.

Here's a couple videos to get you in the headspace:
https://youtu.be/RRPI3kslrXM this is whirlwindy, but you might get the idea of the parts you need.
https://youtu.be/G3ghapMNvME this tour shows a lot more detail on specific parts of the design and gives a sense of how much space is going to be taken up just with molds and storage of product, just ignore what they're making and try to get a sense of scale and, you know, interesting features.
Last edited by acreRake on Mon Feb 01, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I think that may be just what I need. I called the place the "Keiromin Ironworks" and from there derived it was a steel mill, but I did a little more searching and I see the term "Ironworks" is used in many company names for a variety of reasons.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”