Save vs. Possession/ Save vs. Mind Control

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Gimpman
D-Bee

Save vs. Possession/ Save vs. Mind Control

Unread post by Gimpman »

I've been seeing different save modifiers between Possession and Mind Control. Is their a difference?
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Save vs. Possession/ Save vs. Mind Control

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Possession is the take over of your body either through an entity inhabiting you, or by using psi powers and treating your body as a puppet. Mind Control is just that, taking control of your thoughts and memories.

The typical mind control everyone can think of is Dracula controlling his victims, "Look into my eyes"... Possession is harder to explain, to most people it is when a Ghost or Demon takes over a persons body.

Professor X from the X Men can do both, he can take over your body, and you mind.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
dragonfett
Knight

Unread post by dragonfett »

To me, Mind Control is the ability to force some intelligent (or at least semi-intelligent) creature to do something whether or not they would want to do that, such as attacking someone they consider a friend while the person who initiated the Mind Control is free to take other actions.

Possession is where someone leaves their physical body (if they have one) to enter the physical body of a living creature (doesn't need to be an intelligent creature) and use that body like they might use their own (if the body style is similar).
Under the Pain of Death
I would Stand Alone
Against an Army of Darkness
And Horrors Unknown
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

The most comprehensive explanation I've seen anywhere in Palladium on this topic is Powers Unlimited page 87 number 1 (left column).

Very useful to know that bonuses to save vs mind control will stack on top of bonuses to save vs psionics when targeted by these:
    Hypnotic Suggestion
    Mentally Possess Others
    Psionic Invisibility
    Mind Wipe
    Psychosomatic Disease

We are told "possession is a different entirely" which is pretty confusing since one of the aforementioned "mind control" powers has "possess" in the very name.

MPO is the greyest issue basically because we're told it's mind control but inclined to think it's possession.

Far as I can figure, MPO is not a traditional possession in the sense of super powers or supernatural alien intelligences, so it doesn't benefit from the bonus or even count as possession in spite of it's name suggesting otherwise.

I think that's because normal possession is a 'physical possession' whereas MPO is a 'mental possession'. It's basically pseudo-possession. You don't actually possess the body, you just psionically contrl the mind so thoroughly it's LIKE you're possessing it.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Save vs. Mind control (all): vs all forms of mind control not just Psi or Magic, even chemical and brainwashing. thus it would stack on top of the vs Psi & vs Magic and the vs drugs save bonuses depending on what form the mind control takes.

Possession is an some-one/-being/-entity highjacking the body. Shoving the mind (soul) of the person out of control of it. At least that how I tend to think of it.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

So basically MPO doesn't so much submerge the soul as hijack it?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”