Stupid Hardware Question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Fermat
Explorer

Stupid Hardware Question

Unread post by Fermat »

I was rereading the Hardware Character write-ups for something I will be posting later, but I noticed a rule that can be read two ways. I've always played it one way, but I worry I may have cheated some of my players.

Let's assume you have character with 2 years of college (2 skill programs). You play an Electronics Genius, you know have 1 program left. You decide to double up with a Weapons genius. You lose your 3 Attacks and halve your skill bonuses. Obvious and Done. Now, do you also have to spend 1 more program for the Weapon Genius, or did the loss of Attacks and bonuses cover it? I've always run it that, each HW specialty costs a skill program, but it turns out the rules are unclear. Does anyone allow them to keep the skill program?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Stupid Hardware Question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Fermat wrote:I was rereading the Hardware Character write-ups for something I will be posting later, but I noticed a rule that can be read two ways. I've always played it one way, but I worry I may have cheated some of my players.

Let's assume you have character with 2 years of college (2 skill programs). You play an Electronics Genius, you know have 1 program left. You decide to double up with a Weapons genius. You lose your 3 Attacks and halve your skill bonuses. Obvious and Done. Now, do you also have to spend 1 more program for the Weapon Genius, or did the loss of Attacks and bonuses cover it? I've always run it that, each HW specialty costs a skill program, but it turns out the rules are unclear. Does anyone allow them to keep the skill program?

Yes, they do NOT have to pay a second skill program to get a second hardware area of expertise. In this case, instead of sacrafising a skill program to learn the specalized skills of a second hardware type, they sacrafised hand to hand training.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Stupid Hardware Question

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Yep, the loss of one skill program (or all scholastic skills, in the case of the Analytical Genius) is the price you pay for being a hardware character at all, rather than the cost of a single hardware specialty, so it's a price you only have to pay once.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”