Heroes Unlimited Physical Training Power Category

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

blackeychan1970
Newb

Heroes Unlimited Physical Training Power Category

Unread post by blackeychan1970 »

Is there any way to get both styles of combat? Is there a certain number of skills or skill programs that can be sacrificed?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Heroes Unlimited Physical Training Power Category

Unread post by eliakon »

As far as I know there is no official way to do it. Especially since HU does not have any official way to have more than one H2H style at one time.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

eliakon wrote:As far as I know there is no official way to do it. Especially since HU does not have any official way to have more than one H2H style at one time.

I think the Ancient Master has the optional use of the Ninjas and Super-Spies book to have an Ancient Master with multiple forms but that's about it.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nightmask wrote:
eliakon wrote:As far as I know there is no official way to do it. Especially since HU does not have any official way to have more than one H2H style at one time.

I think the Ancient Master has the optional use of the Ninjas and Super-Spies book to have an Ancient Master with multiple forms but that's about it.

That's exclusionary, though. it says right in the same paragraph that if the ancient master takes the N&SS martial arts, they don't get the ancient master fighting style or any of the ancient master bonuses.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I think duel Power Category Megahero would allow it but that is subject to gm approval.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:I think duel Power Category Megahero would allow it but that is subject to gm approval.

Dual Category though explicitly has you take one category that is skill based and one that is 'inherent' You couldn't take two training programs....
It is designed to allow for things like a cyborg who is a martial artist, or a mutant animal who is also a wizard, or a psychic who found a magic weapon, or some other combination of 'well I trained for X, but I am either naturally Y or found Z)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Everything has a price, instead of the two attacks for being alive, the character gains attacks from The physical training category only.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:Everything has a price, instead of the two attacks for being alive, the character gains attacks from The physical training category only.

That would be an interesting house rule to allow something sure.
But since it would still require the GM to change the rules to allow the combination in the first place I think the statement that "no you can not legally do this" still stands. As you can't legally do it. You can do it if the GM changes what is legal of course....but that allows anything at all. Thus I am going to operate on the premise that the OP was not asking "Can my GM make a House Rule to allow X" because the answer to that question is always "yes of course, its their game they can do what they want"

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

That's exclusionary, though. it says right in the same paragraph that if the ancient master takes the N&SS martial arts, they don't get the ancient master fighting style or any of the ancient master bonuses.

Which doesn't have anything to do with my response to eliakon, since he notes not knowing of any official way for someone to have multiple Hand to Hand styles at one time to which I pointed out the one optional instance I knew of where one could officially have multiple Hand to Hand styles. I was only responding to the part regarding possession of multiple Hand to Hand styles.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Each of the styles in Physical Training is focused on a certain way of training your muscles. You can't have both because you would have to train your muscles to be both dense and inflexible and thin and flexible. It does not work. And as others have said, dual classing does not allow you to take physical training twice so as to select both because it is not written that way.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Which doesn't have anything to do with my response to eliakon, since he notes not knowing of any official way for someone to have multiple Hand to Hand styles at one time to which I pointed out the one optional instance I knew of where one could officially have multiple Hand to Hand styles. I was only responding to the part regarding possession of multiple Hand to Hand styles.

And even then its not exactly having multiple Hand to Hand styles. It has two martial art forms which are different.
Hand to Hand styles are a physical skill (they have different costs, but are, when all is said and done, a skill)
MAFs are more of a skill program (or more a bundle of skill programs) that include many sub-skills.

This is why I was thinking of when I said no way to have multiple H2H skills. I will retract my statement then and revise it.

There is no way in the official HU system to have multiple Hand to Hand skills (as skills) it is possible to use the optional rule in the Ancient Master to bring in the N&SS system. If this is done, then it is possible to have two Martial Arts Forms at the same time. However even if this is done, since Ancient Masters can not take Physical Training Hand to Hand skills (or technically any hand to hand skill, just MAFs) it still does not allow for taking two H2H skills at once.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

blackeychan1970 wrote:Is there any way to get both styles of combat? Is there a certain number of skills or skill programs that can be sacrificed?

Not exactly.

The PT Power Category in HU2E has 2 Focus Endurance & Strength OR Agility & Speed) and 2 orientation (Aggressive & Deadly OR Defensive & Fast), for a total of 4 possible combinations. Each Focus and Orientation has one ideal match (typically paired with), and one that saps the Focus into a less than ideal match (when it reduces effectiveness). So the less than ideal pairing is what results in the "mixing" IMHO. However, I don't think that is what you meant.

Given that the character can not select any physical skills via selectable programs or 2ndary skills, and what physical skills are available rule out Boxing & any other Hand to Hand, I would have to say that they can not select the new skills by normal means. You would need an extra-ordinary situation, and even then I think the combinations would NOT stack, you would have to declare what Focus/Orientation you are are using, just like when you have multiple hand to hand styles per N&SS since by default you can only have 1 Active Hand to Hand Form (pg48 HU2E top page left column).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:HU does not have any official way to have more than one H2H style at one time.

Anyone recall a statement saying you can't purchase more than one?

Like what if, instead of spending 3 skills on martial arts, I spent 1 on basic and 2 on expert and switched between them on alternate melees?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
eliakon wrote:HU does not have any official way to have more than one H2H style at one time.

Like what if, instead of spending 3 skills on martial arts, I spent 1 on basic and 2 on expert and switched between them on alternate melees?

Are you asking using the
"HU uses its own rules and is not subject to any of the rules from any of the other games" stance
or the "HU is a megaversal game that uses the same rules as all the other books, and thus a rule in one book applies to all books unless otherwise noted"

I ask because you have a habit of arguing from both stances so I want to be perfectly clear what we are discussing.

ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Tor wrote:

pg48 HU2E top page left column
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:Are you asking using the
"HU uses its own rules and is not subject to any of the rules from any of the other games" stance
or the "HU is a megaversal game that uses the same rules as all the other books, and thus a rule in one book applies to all books unless otherwise noted"

Taking a stance isn't necessary for making this inquiry, but you're right, I should have specified the context. I'm wondering if HU itself mentions being unable to select 2 hand to hand skills (thus not having to rely on some other corebook's statement) or if we'd need to rely on this taboo being mentioned in a different palladium book.

I do know I saw it somewhere but can't remember which core books contain that kind of restriction and which do not.

ShadowLogan wrote:pg48 HU2E top page left column

Ah thanks, had only remembered to look at 55 and 71.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”