Negate Super Abilities/Powers

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Redoric
Newb

Negate Super Abilities/Powers

Unread post by Redoric »

im not too sure about the ability, but, if i am negating another persons abilities can i attack at the same time? also does it work on invulnerability?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Negate Super Abilities/Powers

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Redoric wrote:if i am negating another persons abilities can i attack at the same time?

Yes, but you are limited to just two attacks per melee due to the intense focus required for negation.

it work on invulnerability?

Yes, assuming that the power of Invulnerability was not granted by magic or by alien physiology.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Negate super powers.
Multiple selves.
Invulnerablility.

The ultimate super power badguy stopper.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

say652 wrote:Negate super powers.
Multiple selves.
Invulnerablility.

The ultimate super power badguy stopper.

Until he meets up against an Alien whose powers are natural to his race and cannot be negated or against someone whose powers are not affected by NSP. :-)
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Redoric wrote:im not too sure about the ability, but, if i am negating another persons abilities can i attack at the same time? also does it work on invulnerability?

However, N.S.A. does not work on the natural powers that an alien race may have.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:

Yes, assuming that the power of Invulnerability was not granted by magic or by alien physiology.

The alien "could" be a mutant of their race and have Invulnerability. The entire species would have to have the power naturally.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

NMI wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

The alien "could" be a mutant of their race and have Invulnerability. The entire species would have to have the power naturally.

Yes, they could be Experiments, Mutants, etc., in which case Negate Super Abilities would work; I was alluding specifically to those Aliens that have super abilities innately, e.g. Titons, Thisseras, Miceans, etc., and anyone who rolls 11-40% on the Alien Random Power Category table.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Also magic power category, I house ruled even punches and kicks from a mage bypasses Invulnerablility.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Tinker Dragoon wrote:
NMI wrote:
Tinker Dragoon wrote:

Yes, they could be Experiments, Mutants, etc., in which case Negate Super Abilities would work; I was alluding specifically to those Aliens that have super abilities innately, e.g. Titons, Thisseras, Miceans, etc., and anyone who rolls 11-40% on the Alien Random Power Category table.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:However, N.S.A. does not work on the natural powers that an alien race may have.
Of which I specifically stated.

Yes, NSA would work in aliens who's powers are of the experimental or mutant varieties. If the Alien has both Mu./Exp. and natural super powers (even thought they can't under the char creation rules) then only the Mu./Exp. powers can be negated by NSA.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

say652 wrote:Also magic power category, I house ruled even punches and kicks from a mage bypasses Invulnerablility.

And why would a mage-type character need to throw a punch at an invulnerable character to begin with? Their spells can harm the guy... and usually deal much more damage. Okay... maybe if the Invulnerable character can survive long enough for the Mage to use up all their PPE... but a well played mage with a decent assortment of spells should be able to incapacitate such an opponent... or at least make good an escape long before he needs to resort to mere physical violence.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

say652 wrote:Also magic power category, I house ruled even punches and kicks from a mage bypasses Invulnerablility.

Why? Mages aren't magical creatures they're simply people educated in the casting of magic, and it hardly makes sense for a mage to be able to actually punch and harm someone who's got Invulnerability. It's not like being a mage makes you like Captain Marvel and no one would expect Dr. Strange or even Dr. Fate to be able to punch and harm an invulnerable character because that's just not something they can do, they have to use magic to get anywhere in those cases.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nightmask wrote:
say652 wrote:Also magic power category, I house ruled even punches and kicks from a mage bypasses Invulnerability.

Why? Mages aren't magical creatures ....

Say said that because in places in canon text so some settings that they are considered Creatures of Magic. And Say is just importing that rule into HU as a house rule.

However, Say's comment is a bit off topic.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

True back to negate super powers.

This one is provolone n Swiss, all day.

1 major.
Negate super powers.

1 super psionic.
Bio Manipulation.

Mutant Sea Inquisitor.
Razorwing
Hero

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
say652 wrote:Also magic power category, I house ruled even punches and kicks from a mage bypasses Invulnerability.

Why? Mages aren't magical creatures ....

Say said that because in places in canon text so some settings that they are considered Creatures of Magic. And Say is just importing that rule into HU as a house rule.

However, Say's comment is a bit off topic.

Okay... I can agree that it may be a little off topic, but now my curiosity's been piqued... exactly where in canon text does it say that mages (those who have learned to cast magic) are considered to be creatures of magic? I know there are some OCCs in Rifts where some become CoM (Lord Magus OCC for example, if I remember correctly), but these are exceptions... not the rule.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Aside from HU2p95's "11-40 Possesses Super Abilities" (PSA) and its "not affected by the Negate Super Powers ability" text, does anyone know of any other explicit examples of things being mentioned as being immune to NSA?

I don't recall it saying that for the Bhlaze or other races in Skraypers though I figure you would treat them like that. Or basically in any case where all members of a species have the super power.

This should apply to the Altara Blind Warrior Women from Rifts Atlantis, for example.

I wonder if it applies to learned super abilities though, like an Ancient Master starting with Ext PE, a Physical Training starting with SHPS, a Genin starting with ExtSpd, or a Choirboy starting with Karmic Power?

Nightmask wrote:Mages aren't magical creatures they're simply people educated in the casting of magic

This differs from the Rifts Conversion Book which happens to mention that Men of Magic are part of the Creatures of Magic category. This seems forgot by WB16 Federation of Magic where the Lord Magus specially becomes a Creature of Magic even though this should be the case with all the magi.

Razorwing wrote:exactly where in canon text does it say that mages (those who have learned to cast magic) are considered to be creatures of magic?

Rifts Conversion Book page 43 right column, part of the 'Rifts Superhumans' section preceding 'Select Super-powers'. A bolded note mentions "creatures of magic (including men of magic) .. cannot have super abilities".

Of course this is the same section which mentions "Characters with super abilities can not have psionic powers too" and HU2 is rife with combinations of psionic and super powers, so we could take anything said here as being specific to Rifts and not HU.
Spoiler:
I'm not even sure how specific it is to Rifts, since WB12 would later introduce the Psi-Ghost who combined the major power of Intangibility with some psionic powers.

So perhaps 'men of magic' are creatures of magic only on Rifts Earth, but not on HU Earth.

Looking at the wording, considering that the actual category in Rifts is "Practitioners of Magic", you could opt to interpret that only adult males who are PoM become CoM, while female or non-adult male magic practitioners do not become creatures of magic.

That, or only the "Men of Magic" OCCs listed on page 15 of the Palladium RPG: Wizard/Witch/Warlock/Diabolist/Summoner/MindMage/Alchemist
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Razorwing
Hero

Let's take a look at the term "Creature of Magic" as defined by RUE.

Amy mortal creature that is born with magical abilities; a Magic RCC if you will. Beings within whom magic is a part of their very essence.

Does this describe a human Practitioner of Magic? Well, humans are mortal... they are born, age and eventually die... but humans are not born with any magical abilities. Yes, humans can learn to use magic... but they are not born with any innate magical powers. While every human is born with some level of PPE, this does not make magic a part of their very essence.

So... when reading that line from the Conversion book that includes Practitioners of Magic when referencing Creatures of Magic... one should not see them as the same thing, but rather that anyone who has magical abilities (innate or learned) shouldn't also develop HU-type super powers.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I see it as establishing the Rifts Conversion Book being for the Rifts RPG and RUE being something else which defines Creature of Magic differently in a way which excludes Men of Magic.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Razorwing wrote:
Any mortal creature that is born with magical abilities;...

That is defining a Race, with no Char Class about it. SOoooo it would be just a R.
RCC's are something Races have/possess. (not going to argue the distracting minutia..because that is what they are.)
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

This is a first edition vs second edition type thing.

Originally men of magic were magic creatures, then suddenly they weren't.

Particle beams do have a strong physical aspect in their damage.
That's why they deal half to those impervious to energy. Balrogs whip if fire damages things impervious to Fire. Same thing basically.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

say652 wrote:This is a first edition vs second edition type thing.

Originally men of magic were magic creatures, then suddenly they weren't.

Particle beams do have a strong physical aspect in their damage.
That's why they deal half to those impervious to energy. Balrogs whip if fire damages things impervious to Fire. Same thing basically.

I don't think they ever listed magic users as magic creatures, since they aren't.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Or maybe it was a bad way of saying no Creatures of Magic and no Mages, with the parenthetical meant to set of a separate, related but not sub-class ban.
Or maybe its just a bad editing job (since the line in CB1 conflicts with RMB, RUE, WB 16, and multiple other locations....)
It wouldn't be the first time that there are two different rules saying opposite things in the books.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

say652 wrote:Particle beams do have a strong physical aspect in their damage. That's why they deal half to those impervious to energy.

When/where did that get added again?

Nightmask wrote:I don't think they ever listed magic users as magic creatures, since they aren't.

Apparently you missed my quote from the Conversion Book, which I think was still present in the Revised version. Here it is again:

Rifts Conversion Book page 43 right column wrote:'Rifts Superhumans'
Note
"creatures of magic (including men of magic) .. cannot have super abilities".

Technically 'men' not 'users'. Sorry ladies, gotta become a Lord Magus if you want to be creatures of magic too.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”