Most Overpowered Superpower/Combo in the Game!?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

GBAnnihilator
Wanderer

Most Overpowered Superpower/Combo in the Game!?

Unread post by GBAnnihilator »

I hate to be a jerk but, no combining things like Ancient Master with Karmic Power. Just the Super Powers/combos and lets see what we get!
“He's not a killer. He just wins... Thoroughly”--Graff
"You tried to kill me! You couldn't even kill my boredom!"--Zoro
"Don't Believe in the Me who Believes in You! Don't Believe in the You who Believes Me! BELIEVE IN THE YOU WHO BELIVES IN YOURSELF!!!" -Kamina
"Time to Toss the Dice!" -Matrim (Mat) Cauthon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Most Overpowered Superpower/Combo in the Game!?

Unread post by Tor »

Mirror Powers + APS Fire = make mirror-copies who go nuclear at no cost to yourself. Could combine with other stuff like Teleport or Gateway to get them into desired bombing locations.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Slow Motion Control+Teleport. Add in SharpShooter:Energy Rifle, and a Jet Pack.

A five mile Blinky Dodge anything Shoot You in the Face guy.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Vagabond.
3 majors.
Aps:Liquid.
Control Radiation.
Super Energy Expulsion:Sonic.

3 minors.
Ex: Speed.
Heightened sense of hearing.
Radar.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Single minor super ability. Super hibernation and stasis field. It has no save. No roll to strike. While you can make a good argument that its only meant to be used on the willing or already helpless (such as unconscious, sleeping, or dying......). And n most cases Id be fine with that. But it ain't actually written that way, so for this thread.....
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

say652 wrote:Vagabond.
3 majors.
Control Radiation.

3 minors.
Radar.

I believe I've already pointed out that you can combine this with being a Rifts godling.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Dakchronos
Wanderer

Unread post by Dakchronos »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
say652 wrote:Vagabond.
3 majors.
Control Radiation.

3 minors.
Radar.

I believe I've already pointed out that you can combine this with being a Rifts godling.

Wouldn't it be Demigod? I thought Godling is a stand alone R.C.C. :P
GBAnnihilator
Wanderer

3 Majors: Control Kinetic Force, Create Force Field and Energy Absorption. The only weakness should be radiation.
"Don't Believe in the Me who Believes in You! Don't Believe in the You who Believes Me! BELIEVE IN THE YOU WHO BELIVES IN YOURSELF!!!" -Kamina
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Major: Alter Physical Structure: Bone (Skeleton Form)
Minor: Indestructible Bones
Mutation: Breathe Without Air

Not very powerful, but EXTREMELY difficult to beat up.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Gestalt.
Physical Powerhouse, 100 members.
Starts with 104 attacks plus hand to Hand and boxing!!
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

say652 wrote:Slow Motion Control+Teleport. Add in SharpShooter:Energy Rifle, and a Jet Pack.

A five mile Blinky Dodge anything Shoot You in the Face guy.

Isn't it hard to find replacement ammo for energy rifles in HU? Maybe replace with that 'Weapons Master' or whatev in PU that lets you exchange HP for bullets.

There's a sniper rifle in nightbane with better range than any energy rifle I've seen so that'd possibly be better sniping tool.

The chance of death on Teleports has never been attractive, I wouldn't want this power unless I also had Intangibility and the GM ruled that being intangible while teleporting means that y ou don't die if you accidentally teleport into an object.

Sir_Spirit wrote:Single minor super ability. Super hibernation and stasis field. It has no save. No roll to strike. While you can make a good argument that its only meant to be used on the willing or already helpless (such as unconscious, sleeping, or dying......). And n most cases Id be fine with that. But it ain't actually written that way, so for this thread.....

PUp44 also doesn't mention a range for the power. Though I'd personally rule that in any case of this happening we should say it's "touch", this does leave room for people to say "line of sight" or even "unlimited" (just think of a person, no matter where they are, they're put to sleep)

Of course, while this is great for neutralizing threats for you to collect yourself and arrange an ambush, they are released and woken up if you destroy the protective field, so I don't know if there's any way to actually harm them so long as they're asleep.

The Sleeplessness minor power would also protect against this :) Can't remember anything else that would.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Tor wrote:
The Sleeplessness minor power would also protect against this :) Can't remember anything else that would.

It's not sleep, so nope. That minor is misnamed and just lets you do with less sleep, so it's too weak to make you immune to sleep IMO.
But range in a thing, outside of this thread I'd say touch would be appropriate(I already entioned the other limitation I use outside of this thread).
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Multiple lives.
Extraordinary Mental Endurance.
Healing Factor.
Night Stalking.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

say652 wrote:Gestalt.

I suggest you reread the Physical Gestal section... specifically the first paragraph on pg. 44 of PU2. It quite clearly states that while a Gestalt requires a minimum of 2 people, it can only have a maximum of 5 people.

Sorry... no forming a Physical Gestalt with 100 members. :P
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Darn.

What about a five person superteam that forms a Gestalt with all their powers.

Five minor heroes
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Clock Manipulation.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Razorwing
Hero

say652 wrote:Darn.

What about a five person superteam that forms a Gestalt with all their powers.

Five minor heroes

Sort of like a version of Captain Planet then? Well... by the rules for Physical Gestalts, there is no option to give such a Gestalt the powers of 5 minor heroes... such Gestalts can't even get 5 minor powers. That said, I see nothing wrong with bending the rules a little in giving the Gestalt 5 minor powers and then having each member that forms the Gestalt having one of those minor powers. Maybe whatever it was that allowed them to form the Gestalt also altered their own bodies... allowing each to retain a fraction of the Gestalt's abilities.

Actually, I had come up with a similar idea for the Psychic Gestalt where the members were minor Psychics themselves (2 powers from one of the lesser Psychic categories each)... powers that the Psychic Gestalt they created would also have (in addition to 2 Major and 1 Minor Power... these latter powers were only available to the Gestalt).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

filo_clarke wrote:Major: Alter Physical Structure: Bone (Skeleton Form)
Minor: Indestructible Bones
Mutation: Breathe Without Air

Not very powerful, but EXTREMELY difficult to beat up.

Couldn't resist asking my most recent GM about this, for kicks, and it got shot down without thought LOL. ^^
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

Now, for an excellent re-occurring enemy in a game, a wendigo with unbreakable bones. The wendigo, if killed, returns on the next full moon unless its skull was shattered. It is possible for human to become Wendigo.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Razorwing wrote:Well... by the rules for Physical Gestalts, there is no option to give such a Gestalt the powers of 5 minor heroes... such Gestalts can't even get 5 minor powers. That said, I see nothing wrong with bending the rules a little in giving the Gestalt 5 minor powers and then having each member that forms the Gestalt having one of those minor powers.

How about a guy who only ever uses Power #1, and a guy who only ever uses Power #2, and a guy who only ever uses Power #3, and a guy who only ever uses Power #4, and a guy who only ever uses Power #5, and they all merge together because they're all Multiple Selves, and when so merged all five powers are fair game? Could we do that by the rules?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Regularguy wrote:
Razorwing wrote:Well... by the rules for Physical Gestalts, there is no option to give such a Gestalt the powers of 5 minor heroes... such Gestalts can't even get 5 minor powers. That said, I see nothing wrong with bending the rules a little in giving the Gestalt 5 minor powers and then having each member that forms the Gestalt having one of those minor powers.

How about a guy who only ever uses Power #1, and a guy who only ever uses Power #2, and a guy who only ever uses Power #3, and a guy who only ever uses Power #4, and a guy who only ever uses Power #5, and they all merge together because they're all Multiple Selves, and when so merged all five powers are fair game? Could we do that by the rules?

Would depend on the type of powers [major or minors]
An Arismal Alien could do it as they "can" have up to 2 Majors AND 1D4+1 minors]
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Razorwing wrote:

I suggest you reread the Physical Gestal section... specifically the first paragraph on pg. 44 of PU2. It quite clearly states that while a Gestalt requires a minimum of 2 people, it can only have a maximum of 5 people.

I don't have PU2, so speculating here. But what about a stacking Gestalts? Where one group of Gestalt merge as suggested, and from that point the resulting character can merge to form a new Gestalt with another Gestalt product(s) or individual(s)?

So you could have 5 teams, each with five members. Each team can form its own Gestalt, the resulting Gestalts though can make their own Gestalt. That would give a 25member team. Now have three more sets like this that have a Gestalt of Gestalts that creates another Gestalt (for 100).

Basically you have the Regular Gestalt => Super Gestalt => Mega Gestalt => what ever comes next and so on down the line, each step though still functions within the limit, but the Gestalt products are regarded as a reset on the counter.
Razorwing
Hero

NMI wrote:
Regularguy wrote:

Would depend on the type of powers [major or minors]
An Arismal Alien could do it as they "can" have up to 2 Majors AND 1D4+1 minors]

Arismal Aliens are their own Power Category (Alien)... and combining power categories is generally not possible (Aliens can have powers that seem to combine categories... super abilities with psionics and/or magic or technology/robotics/bionics; but these tend to be lesser versions rather than the full capabilities of those who are actually of those categories).

The only way I really see this happening is if the Gestalt had 5 minor powers and the minor heroes that formed the Gestalt each gets to use one of those powers. Even in this case, these minor heroes would be even weaker than the usual rules for Minor Heroes (who can have 2 or 3 minor powers or a major power and possibly a minor power). The whole... Multiple Selves idea is just not applicable because it doesn't make the original being a Gestalt... just a person who can effectively make clones of himself (even if each clone only has one of the powers the original had).

ShadowLogan wrote:
Razorwing wrote:

I don't have PU2, so speculating here. But what about a stacking Gestalts? Where one group of Gestalt merge as suggested, and from that point the resulting character can merge to form a new Gestalt with another Gestalt product(s) or individual(s)?

So you could have 5 teams, each with five members. Each team can form its own Gestalt, the resulting Gestalts though can make their own Gestalt. That would give a 25member team. Now have three more sets like this that have a Gestalt of Gestalts that creates another Gestalt (for 100).

Basically you have the Regular Gestalt => Super Gestalt => Mega Gestalt => what ever comes next and so on down the line, each step though still functions within the limit, but the Gestalt products are regarded as a reset on the counter.

I would have to say that this isn't possible... for while these higher levels of Gestalts are being formed by no more than 5 beings... those beings themselves were composed of 2 to 5 beings to begin with... meaning that the combined Gestalt is still composed of 10 to 25 individuals. In all honesty, I believe that it was because of the high potential for abuse by having so many individuals forming a Gestalt, that the number of members in the Gestalt was limited in this manner. Gestalt characters are rare in comics to begin with... having a Gestalt with dozens of members is going to be a statistical nightmare.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

My ldea,
Five minor heroes... that form an Ultra mimic as their Gestalt.

Even better with the wider range of skills, maybe only one or two have super powers.
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

Transmutation by itself, hands down.

"I turn as much matter I can into antimatter" PLANET EXPLODES
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Since the mass of the planet is greater than the mass of anti matter, it would be displaced at high velocity.
SittingBull
Hero

But would that "high velocity" be enough to rupture the atmosphere?

Needless to say I wouldn't allow a play to even try that.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

GBAnnihilator wrote:I hate to be a jerk but, no combining things like Ancient Master with Karmic Power. Just the Super Powers/combos and lets see what we get!

I didnt think an ancient master could select karmic power.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

SittingBull wrote:
GBAnnihilator wrote:I hate to be a jerk but, no combining things like Ancient Master with Karmic Power. Just the Super Powers/combos and lets see what we get!

They can't
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Karmic power.
Lycanthropy.
Super Energy Expulsion.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

I haven't seen anything suggested yet that sounds fun to play.
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
GBAnnihilator
Wanderer

NMI wrote:
SittingBull wrote:

They can't

Yes actually. Switch O.C.C's using the conversion book and you should be able to.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

GBAnnihilator wrote:
NMI wrote:
SittingBull wrote:

They can't

Yes actually. Switch O.C.C's using the conversion book and you should be able to.
Heroes Unlimited DOES NOT have O.C.C.'s - it has Power Categories. It also does not have a "conversion" book - That's Rifts.

Also, if you somehow switch "O.C.C.'s" from Ancient Master to something else, then you are no longer an Ancient Master. I will, however, rephrase my answer - "By the book, the Ancient Master CANNOT select the mutant power "Karmic Power" without house-ruling or using rules from other non-Heroes Unlimited sourcebooks."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

NMI wrote:
GBAnnihilator wrote:
NMI wrote:
SittingBull wrote:

They can't

Heroes Unlimited DOES NOT have O.C.C.'s - it has Power Categories. It also does not have a "conversion" book - That's Rifts.

Also, if you somehow switch "O.C.C.'s" from Ancient Master to something else, then you are no longer an Ancient Master. I will, however, rephrase my answer - "By the book, the Ancient Master CANNOT select the mutant power "Karmic Power" without house-ruling or using rules from other non-Heroes Unlimited sourcebooks."

I am not saying you are wrong. OCCs aren't part of HU. However circumstances can allow for this later...

What is to prevent the Ancient Master (or any Power Category) in general from:
-picking up a magic weapon/item that grants them super-powers?
-being exposed to a mutation event (experiment)?
-suffering injury(s) that require Bionic/Cybernetic augmentation? Or becoming Mystically Endowed?
-using a Super Power granting and/or other class defining tech Device (Hardware, 'Bot, etc)? Other than skill to use that is.

I do agree though at character creation Level 1 (or in this case 8 IIRC) they would not and should not be allowed to have "cross category" abilities, but as the character develops and has experiences it is possible that events can lead to cross category IF the GM allows it to happen, they don't need to allow it or the character can decline to take advantage of said option. An example in Super Hero lore, might be Spiderman and Venom relationship when they "worked together" (does spidy stop being the obvious category he is, or does he go into another category?) What about Wolverine/Weapon-X (he technically qualifies for two categories from the Main book)? Or Zatana when she put on the mask of Dr. Fate in the recent Young Justice series (IIRC)?
Razorwing
Hero

For the Magic Weapon... the weapon itself. Remember, it is the weapon that chooses who gains its powers.

The Mutation Event (Experiment)... the fact that most Experiments have very low success rates (sorry... it just didn't work on you).

Cybernetic/Bionic or Robotic augmentation... the actual means of getting such items. The same for other items that provide powers... these things are not common.

How many Heroes in comics transform themselves so radically? Not many.

In the end, the ease at which such characters can do these things is at the discretion of the GM.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

@Razorwing
While I agree the GM can have the weapon/item/event/etc NOT WORK FOR a PC from another category, they are also free to ALLOW the weapon/item/event/etc TO WORK FOR a PC from another category is what I am saying. With that said it is possible then for an Ancient Master to pick up random super powers, even without house rules, maybe not at creation but later. NMI makes it seem like that is impossible w/o houserules since events can happen that blur the line.

I agree it is rare to have a hero transformed so radically, but it does happen (I named 3 earlier, I am sure there are more like the numerous incarnations of Apocolpyse's horseman, or Galactus Harolds, you also have Roy/Red-Arrow becoming a cyborg or/Miracuru-enhanced). Sometimes that change is more temporary, but other times it can be more permanent.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Tor wrote:The Sleeplessness minor power would also protect against this

It's not sleep, so nope. That minor is misnamed and just lets you do with less sleep, so it's too weak to make you immune to sleep IMO.

"The power makes a person immune to being put to sleep by any outside means"

"While in hibernation, the individual sleeps"

Regularguy wrote:How about a guy who only ever uses Power #1, and a guy who only ever uses Power #2, and a guy who only ever uses Power #3, and a guy who only ever uses Power #4, and a guy who only ever uses Power #5, and they all merge together because they're all Multiple Selves, and when so merged all five powers are fair game? Could we do that by the rules?

Sounds like the Planeteers.

NMI wrote:
SittingBull wrote:

They can't

Unless the guy from Century Station, the villain "The Creator", gets ahold of them :)

Also notable for adding a category of Ancient Masters who can select Extraordinary Speed, not originally available in HU2.

Mere "genin" are a heck of a lot scarier here than they are in Naruto.

flatline wrote:I haven't seen anything suggested yet that sounds fun to play.

Turning hobos into APS Fire nukers would be loads of fun. You sound like you wouldn't enjoy hijacking Terran forces via an Infested Command Center.

NMI wrote:
GBAnnihilator wrote:Switch O.C.C's using the conversion book and you should be able to.
Heroes Unlimited DOES NOT have O.C.C.'s - it has Power Categories.

I could've sworn I saw an OCC or 2 in Century Station. Not to mention Skraypers, which is an HU sourcebook in addition to being a Rifts Dimension Book. The Psychic category also mentions the possibility of using Psychic OCCs from Rifts like the Psi-Slinger (New West) or Psi-Ghost (Psyscape).

NMI wrote:It also does not have a "conversion" book - That's Rifts.

RCB does specify that the HU power categories are OCCS though :)

NMI wrote:if you somehow switch "O.C.C.'s" from Ancient Master to something else, then you are no longer an Ancient Master.

No longer 'just' an ancient master, anyway.

NMI wrote:"By the book, the Ancient Master CANNOT select the mutant power "Karmic Power" without house-ruling or using rules from other non-Heroes Unlimited sourcebooks."

Except for the way to gain major powers via century station, as mentioned above.

Or if someone with Imbue Powers from HU3 who also has Karmic Power decides to give it to your temporarily.

Or if you get it from a magic weapon or item (but I guess that's a category change?)

Since HU reminds us we can use other non-HU books like TMNT/Rifts, not seeing the big deal in doing so. Although in terms of this thread since it says 'in the game' I can see your reasoning. Course being super-constrictive, we could even take that to mean in the HU2 core book and not in any HU sourcebooks either since those are in the game line, not the game.

ShadowLogan wrote:OCCs aren't part of HU.

HU2p190 "players can substitute or add any of the Psionic Occupational Character Classes (O.C.C.s) from other Palladium RPGs for the natural or latent psionic. Rifts probably offers the largest number of suitable characters, including the Psi-Slinger, Psi-Ghost, Psi-Nullifier, and many others."

Century Station page 164: "Power Category: Jian Shih O.C.C. from Mystic China"

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”