Atorian Empire & Hardware Unlimited....

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Atorian Empire & Hardware Unlimited....

Unread post by NMI »

Having read through the manuscripts for both of these books, I am at a crossroads.

Both are equally awesome! I don't know which I want to see print more.

Greg Diaczyk had the full, just turned in, completed manuscript for Hardware Unlimited at the Open House. I have had the partial [for use in demo's] for some time now, but the complete version - DANG!!!@
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Razorwing
Hero

Re: Atorian Empire & Hardware Unlimited....

Unread post by Razorwing »

While I am sure that the Atorian Empire book is full of awesome, I would have to say that the Hardware Unlimited book is probably going to get a lot more mileage since most HU games are likely to be set on Earth (where the Atorian book is less likely to be as relevant).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I say Go with Atorian Empire,the Earth side on things have been covert in more books.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Personally I think the Hardware Unlimited book would be a lot more useful for my games than the Atorian Empire book would be.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I agree, i would put the hardware unlimited to greater use......can't too many toys
The Dragon Has Spoken
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

I would vote for Hardware Unlimited. Its something that I can use in any game. (Not even just any HU game). I have a feeling that it will become one of my "core go-to books". But Atorian Empire, while cool.....would be only of tangential relevance to non-space HU games. I would buy it yes....but I would prefer the Hardware Book.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Having also looked over both manuscripts (the Atorian finally :D ), the Atorian one while neat had a lot full stuff while the Hardware expands HU in a way
that allows tech and equipment to be valid even 10 years from now. Lots of cool stuff in that books. Even if Kevin does a heavy edit (I doubt it) still lots of
good stuff in that book that will improve HU overall.
Razorwing
Hero

Actually, I would say that both books would improve the HU and expand it in new directions... it is just that the Hardware book will improve and expand most games while the Atorian one will only expand and improve a smaller number of games.

Don't get me wrong, I have been waiting for both books since I've heard about them... and been waiting a little longer for the Atorian book (since it was mentioned in the AU Galaxy Guide), but the Hardware book will undoubtedly see more use by more people, making it a better choice to be published first.

Of course it would be nice to get some sort of teaser preview of the sorts of goodies we will get with both (no hard stats, just general information would be nice). ;)
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Yeah as much as I like Galactic style games I'm going to vote fore Hardware Unlimited first as I think I'd get the most use out of that.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Hardware Unlimited gets my vote and likely my dollars when it comes out. Atorian Empire will go on my "eventually" list.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by VR Dragon »

Don't take this the wrong way. But I have waited a very long time for the Atorian Empire book and would really like to finally get it. Hardware unlimited may offer stuff but what hasn't been published in many other setting books for equipment that does convert over so easily?

One thing has bothered me about HU is the little gets. We have Aliens unlimited for a bunch of aliens. Galaxy Guide for some getting around tech. But the Atorian Empire book has been in limbo and it vould have gone far in making some kind of Atorian Wars setting or series.

But just because we have the new Avengers movie where they fight a big robot does not mean we should throw out tech unlimited to ride the puplic craze wave.

I would really like to see more setting book for HU. Century Station uses mega strength for everything which makes it not very rules legal and hardly anyone wants to be a decent hero these days. Space gives munch more in the ways of options in the long run.

Heck After the Bomb shoulf be woven into HU so it can get SOME support. I needs a updated big book of animals.
Last edited by VR Dragon on Fri May 22, 2015 7:22 am, edited 2 times in total.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Why not produce both?
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

VR Dragon wrote:Why not produce both?

I like this!`
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

The inherent problem with palladium books is the bottleneck known as Kevin S. I love pally books and settings but with just one person who just has to work on and tweak everything it slows everything down to a crawl.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Razorwing
Hero

In the end, both are likely to be published... but which one goes first is the big question.

How many HU games are set with the AU backdrop compared to the default assumption that the game takes place on Earth? Chances are significantly fewer. So, which, in the long run is going to see more use... a book about an alien empire in a different quadrant of the galaxy that isn't likely to affect Earth... or a book of cool toys and other stuff that can be used by both the games that take place on Earth and those in other parts of the galaxy? One book offers insight into a small niche area of the game, while the other offers stuff everyone can use regardless of where there game takes place. It really comes down to that... which will see more use in more games.
VR Dragon
Dungeon Crawler

Considering how little I have seen HU being played.... Atorian book.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

It looks like More people like Hardware unlimited over Atorian Empire.
I hope to see both maded,One this year and the other the next.
Razorwing
Hero

I am sure that both will be published... it is just that the Hardware book is likely to see more use in more games than the Atorian Empire book.

It is comparable to the Powers Unlimited series when compared to a book like Mutant Underground. Yes, both are useful, but one has a greater applicability to more games than the other. A book that offers a greater number of powers is going to be more useful than a book that gives greater depth to a single class of characters. While those powers can also be used by that class, they can be used by other classes as well, while the information provided on that single class is usually only useful to those who play that class.

Additionally, while I suspect that the Hardware book is going to have a lot of goodies for the Hardware Power Category, I also suspect it will have some useful items for Robots, Bionic and Special Training characters as well. It is probably going to be more of a tech book than focusing on a single power category like Mutant Underground did (though I will admit that some of the information within MU would also apply to Experiments as well).
McFacemelt
Wanderer
Comment: Now go away, or I will be forced to taunt you a second time.

Unread post by McFacemelt »

Having very little to no info on either book, I have to say Hardware Unlimited.

I say this because as I look over all my Palladium books, the one thing I very rarely use is the canon story lines. This is not a slight at Kevin or any of the other writers, most of their work as far as story I love. But, the one thing my players can always do is look up these stories in their own books. The ability to meta game ruins games, and as a GM, usually ruins my fun. I would much rather construct my own alien empire bent on whatever evil plans the Atorians have in mind, just doing it there own way. Thankfully, Palladium has already given me the tools do just that, which is the main reason I will stand with the company until Keven has gone to see the Great Prosek in the Sky, and Hasbro finally destroys that last thing from my childhood that is still sacred.

The other reason I say Hardware is the fact that while the Atorian book may affect a small number of space games, Hardware has the ability to affect every game including space games. Will be that much easier to construct my own alien empire, and have the super powered hardware that isn't really needed, but makes for great flair.
I am and shall always be the GM who gives you what you want, only to make you wish you had wanted something else.
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Hardware Unlimited this year...Atorian Empire next year.
dragon_blaze_99
Hero

Unread post by dragon_blaze_99 »

both in hardcover this year :-)
The mind is the gateway to the future
Ethics are so annoying. I avoid them on principle
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

More HU is better....just push back those pescky rifts books to next year and finish this year with these two HU books and a PF book (MoM2).
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

dragon_blaze_99 wrote:both in hardcover this year :-)
No, not hardcover. They only do that for anniversay editions of books they already have. These are new books. Besides, hardcovers would not mesh well with all my other books which are softcover.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
dragon_blaze_99 wrote:both in hardcover this year :-)
No, not hardcover. They only do that for anniversay editions of books they already have. These are new books. Besides, hardcovers would not mesh well with all my other books which are softcover.

AND!!! not manga sized ether.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:AND!!! not manga sized ether.
Have they ever done books manga sized? But, no, a size consistent with what I already have would be good.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Have they ever done books manga sized? But, no, a size consistent with what I already have would be good.
3 of the current editions of Robotech are at Manga size.
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

That's Robotech, which fits/fitted with the anime/manga theme. HU books should be big American-comic big. even they don't appear paperback book-thick like manga. :)
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

taalismn wrote:
NMI wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:

That's Robotech, which fits/fitted with the anime/manga theme. HU books should be big American-comic big. even they don't appear paperback book-thick like manga. :)

I wasn't suggesting that HU, a comicbook RPG should should be in manga format. I was merely answering the question in the post before mine.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well Nov 5 update say two books for Heroes unlimited are pland,I Hope it is Hardware Unlimited and Atorian Empire.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

I'd like to see them both but Atorian personally has my vote. We'll see if they get published soon.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Yes I hope so to. Awesome manuscript. Of course if it does come out I have to completely
redo the different HU manuscript I was ready to submit before the 2015 Open House, but
having read Greg's I'm fine with that and have no trouble shelving it for quite a while. Kind
of busy with Fantasy anyway.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

I've always been curious about the Atorians. Having more toys is nice, but I've noticed that most groups have little trouble coming up with their own.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Alrik Vas wrote:I've always been curious about the Atorians. Having more toys is nice, but I've noticed that most groups have little trouble coming up with their own.

Very true.

I've taken a keen interest in HU myself of late. I'm a big BTS and NB guy but the appeal of HU makes me want to do some material for this game.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Do you think they will take some things from Rifter for Hardware Unlimited?

I think it would be better if Far and Atorian Empire get ther own book.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”