Now that's a serious power.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Now that's a serious power.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

So a while back I had a character who used Gravity as his main trick. Problem was things got out of hand real quick. The gravity power is too open ended and poorly worded once you get into the nuts and bolts of the mechanics of it. So I rebuilt the character with Vibration in place of Gravity. And holy crap is Vibration awesome.

First I should note we stripped out the intangibility element, because otherwise you're getting two majors for the price of one. That's great for buying pizzas, but not so much for when you're actively avoiding power gaming. Instead I swapped it for a damage up-grade to the Shock blast, +1d6 every odd level, 3,5,7 etc. And recently I developed flight, as flight wingless with 1/2 the speed and it burns my paired attack ability away while flying nor can I parry bullets while flying. But oh well, flying is awesome!

What really caught my eye and something I hadn't really noticed before was the Shock wave attack. 2d6 damage per level. So as we're climbing up to level 5 I will soon have a 10d6 line attack that is six feet wide along the path of travel! That is how you mess stuff up. Consider blowing out a building's wall along one side. Holy crap for crap! Add to that the base 4d6 blast attack that came with the power prior to my power swap up-grade. Plus you got all of the advantages of Intangibility for free (again, we ditched it but you might not).

As a single power, this thing does not mess around!
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
flatline
Knight

Re: Now that's a serious power.

Unread post by flatline »

It takes all your attacks to be intangible, so it's a hugely handicapped version of the power.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

indeed its a worthy power, and one of the few ones that follows the legendary logical+physics+cinematic trinity! Its definitely strong and a stand alone ability, the downside is that it really doesn't mix well with other powers aside from enhanced senses(and even then not really well, hearing or sense of touch/equlibrium/reflexes based ones make a certain amount of sense). It is all inclusive on its own but is so unique that "combining" it with another power doesn't work out well. I've always felt it should have a strong weakness to electromagnetic disruption(or photonfield disruption if using the newest understanding of current physics) or electrical attacks since photon excitation disruption would be a good way to interfere with vibration harmony. Cinematically speaking I mean.

Vibration and that one Resonation power could provide some very interesting combos if the player (and/or the character) had a solid understanding of resonation/vibration.

Of course random rolls trump all but, when speaking from a thematic character type perspective Vibration kinda excludes any other powers as it stands so solid on its own. Definitely a good fit for those 1 Major power only or 1 Major 1 minor options.

Spin at High Velocity, and Kinetic Energy Absorption(or was it Control Time?) are other powers on par with Vibration, what with slowing time/time stop bubbles, reversing stuff and rotational force power. They are really frightening/destructive and overwhelming powers in the wrong(i.e. very smart) hands. Same goes for Intangibility though it requires sub powers to be as freightening those 3 stand alone as very scary.

They aren't super useful in some situations however, On the sea/similar material, Space settings, flying around in the air, etc.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Don't forget though......
That sweet line attack? Unless you have a house rule in place that limits collateral damage, and some sort of stun damage rules you are going to have some serious carnage with this as your power. Why?
Vibration blast...is always six feet wide, and always does full damage (unlike any of the energy expulsion powers it does not say it can be regulated) so if you use that anywhere you will do 10d6 to everything in a 6' line around you....that's going to kill most humans it hits....
The other blast has the same problem, it always does 4d6, no 'pull'

So yeah, its a great heavy hitting power.....but as written it has the serious drawback of having almost no finesse or subtlety.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Niji wrote:the downside is that it really doesn't mix well with other powers aside from enhanced senses(and even then not really well, hearing or sense of touch/equlibrium/reflexes based ones make a certain amount of sense). It is all inclusive on its own but is so unique that "combining" it with another power doesn't work out well.

when speaking from a thematic character type perspective Vibration kinda excludes any other powers as it stands so solid on its own.

I'd be tempted to combine it with Invulnerability: you add ranged attack options, plus the ability to hit a little harder up close, to a purely defensive power; and you get to walk through walls like a ghost when you need to ignore not just damage but obstacles; and when you go all-out on defense, the combo makes you safe against electrical blasts and disruptive touches and fireballs and supernatural strength -- and the rest of the time, you get to couple a little superspeed with a little superstrength of your own.

Thematically, I'd figure it's something like density control: you go all the way insubstantial (instead of still being hittable), or you go super-duper-substantial (complete with the enhanced muscles for enhanced strength and speed), and rapidly oscillating between the two lets you throw the vibration blasts, and -- yeah, I could see it fitting together.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

eliakon wrote:Don't forget though......
That sweet line attack? Unless you have a house rule in place that limits collateral damage, and some sort of stun damage rules you are going to have some serious carnage with this as your power. Why?
Vibration blast...is always six feet wide, and always does full damage (unlike any of the energy expulsion powers it does not say it can be regulated) so if you use that anywhere you will do 10d6 to everything in a 6' line around you....that's going to kill most humans it hits....

So yeah, its a great heavy hitting power.....but as written it has the serious drawback of having almost no finesse or subtlety.

Yep. It's nice having that big gun hit. I've brought down two buildings. One kind of on accident, sort of, and one on purpose. Don't get a lot of use out of it, but when I need it, I've got it. I've also used it to destabilize the ground, collapse a drug tunnel in San Diego, and screw up a road. Plus as we're California based, a number of buildings take reduced damage from the Shockwave effect as they are earthquake resistant. Damage reduction varies, but can be significant.

My build is, PU2 Super Soldier, mutant sub-type.

1 Major; Vibration.
2 Minor; Heightened Sense of Awareness and Manipulate Kinetic Energy.
3 Super Soldier upgrades, Mind and Body more attuned, Brain boost ( I rolled an 8) and Uncanny targeting and throwing. Yep, I can parry bullets. :)
No super weapon, no super vehicle, outside of a sweet Z2 Camaro I bought from a parts dealer cheap for in exchange for not arresting him for smuggling drugs, weapons and money in resorted cars/wrecked cars. It was a piece of **** parts car, but it's coming back into good shape, plus a few upgrades, and at 25 pts per skill check. :)
Last edited by The Artist Formerly on Wed Apr 15, 2015 8:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
The Artist Formerly
Champion

flatline wrote:It takes all your attacks to be intangible, so it's a hugely handicapped version of the power.

--flatline

Well, yes you are correct.

But, without another power one's actions as an intangible character are somewhat limited anyway. And when you figure in all of the other benefits that Vibration has going for it, and it's a little unbalanced. Not matter expulsion kind of a deal, but...

Regardless the GM gave me a great option to swap it out for more useful to my style of play and it kept my build right where I fit well with the other PCs in terms of scope and ability.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Regularguy wrote:
Niji wrote:the downside is that it really doesn't mix well with other powers aside from enhanced senses(and even then not really well, hearing or sense of touch/equlibrium/reflexes based ones make a certain amount of sense). It is all inclusive on its own but is so unique that "combining" it with another power doesn't work out well.

when speaking from a thematic character type perspective Vibration kinda excludes any other powers as it stands so solid on its own.

I'd be tempted to combine it with Invulnerability: you add ranged attack options, plus the ability to hit a little harder up close, to a purely defensive power; and you get to walk through walls like a ghost when you need to ignore not just damage but obstacles; and when you go all-out on defense, the combo makes you safe against electrical blasts and disruptive touches and fireballs and supernatural strength -- and the rest of the time, you get to couple a little superspeed with a little superstrength of your own.

Thematically, I'd figure it's something like density control: you go all the way insubstantial (instead of still being hittable), or you go super-duper-substantial (complete with the enhanced muscles for enhanced strength and speed), and rapidly oscillating between the two lets you throw the vibration blasts, and -- yeah, I could see it fitting together.

@ Regularguy & Niji

My theme has been about Kinetic manipulation. Vibration is a mechanical wave, so adding and subtracting motion is the core of the build. My SDC is good but not great, however getting to cut all physical attacks has been awesome. The speed bump is great too, I ran down a sub-way train just after it left the station, before I could fly. As the game is set in LA in the 90s, jogging on the beach is kind of a thing too. Plus I can parry bullets and energy blasts.

Invulnerability is one of the powers on the 'special list'. We try not to use and requires GM approval.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

My favorite hero character had Create Force Fields, Vibration, and Sonic Flight. That was before Powers Unlimited though - today I'd replace Sonic Flight with Flying Force Disk and Healing Factor. It was a pretty fun character.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Glistam wrote:My favorite hero character had Create Force Fields, Vibration, and Sonic Flight. That was before Powers Unlimited though - today I'd replace Sonic Flight with Flying Force Disk and Healing Factor. It was a pretty fun character.

Heh! I just built a power armor suit (super invention) using Flying Force Disk.

Super Invention/battle armor. Add a Multi-optics helmet, air filter/air supply (1 hour), retractable sword (right arm), 9mm Sub-machine gun (same as Delta Seven Nine's gun from the GM's guide "the mad machine") left arm, water proofing and the like. Three minor powers, Power weapon, Flying Force Disk, Radar.
NAR 13, 440 SDC.
Regularguy
Adventurer

The Artist Formerly wrote:Invulnerability is one of the powers on the 'special list'. We try not to use and requires GM approval.

Maybe combine Vibration with Copy Physical Structure: you can become anything, and so can become one with anything to pass through it -- concrete, steel, whatever; and, lo, you are 'earth', and you are the shockwave you send rippling through the earth; and, as befits a living earthquake, your doubled speed offsets your halved speed, for to goldilocks your way into 'just right' while nimbly performing impressive feats of strength -- unless you want the extra speed while inorganic, in which case that's on tap at need too. Because, hey, you can take on the attributes of whatever's on hand, right? Why, you could even describe this or that trick as becoming like unto the air itself!
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Heh, lot of ways that could go wrong, but... HEHEHEHEHE lot more ways that could go right. :D
Regularguy
Adventurer

Heh. You know what would be fun, for a villain? Figuring that Vibration not only lets you loudly generate shockwave blasts, but likewise powers the booming hypnotic voice of Divine Aura.

I mean, sure, you can't do anything else while vibrating to virtual intangibility -- but your awestruck followers, they keep unhesitatingly doing whatever you've asked while you enter the bank vault, or make your getaway -- or, okay, pitch in by aweing the opposition; the point is, you take no actions while disposable fodder acts on your behalf.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Oh, with that note there's a minor power to control and alter sound in one of the Power Unlimited's which would thematically go well with Vibration.

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I have allowed players to take "Targeting" [minor super ability in PU1] to increase their accuracy with various Energy Expulsion powers. I think I would allow it with the various attacks of Vibration
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Artist Formerly
Champion

NMI wrote:I have allowed players to take "Targeting" [minor super ability in PU1] to increase their accuracy with various Energy Expulsion powers. I think I would allow it with the various attacks of Vibration

I plan on spending my next secondary skill on WP: Shock-blast the way Shock (really should change that to Lady Lightning, a much cooler name) did in the GMs guide.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The Artist Formerly wrote:
NMI wrote:I have allowed players to take "Targeting" [minor super ability in PU1] to increase their accuracy with various Energy Expulsion powers. I think I would allow it with the various attacks of Vibration

I plan on spending my next secondary skill on WP: Shock-blast the way Shock (really should change that to Lady Lightning, a much cooler name) did in the GMs guide.

Thumbs Up!
Should go back to school and take up Geology or something similar and become an earthquake specialist as a cover... those fancy tall skyscrapers, casinos all check with geological societies... Think of, I think it was Oceans 13 when Brad Pitt "infiltrated" the Casino.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
flatline
Knight

I've got a character who took Sharp Shooting to cover his use of Bend Light with EE:Light.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

flatline wrote:I've got a character who took Sharp Shooting to cover his use of Bend Light with EE:Light.

--flatline

Nice! That kind of thinking shows a level of both power and skill dominance that reflects in both Role play and kicking the crap out of the baddies.
Niji

Unread post by Niji »

Yep. It's nice having that big gun hit. I've brought down two buildings. One kind of on accident, sort of, and one on purpose. Don't get a lot of use out of it, but when I need it, I've got it. I've also used it to destabilize the ground, collapse a drug tunnel in San Diego, and screw up a road. Plus as we're California based, a number of buildings take reduced damage from the Shockwave effect as they are earthquake resistant. Damage reduction varies, but can be significant.

1 Major; Vibration.
3 Super Soldier upgrades, Mind and Body more attuned, Brain boost ( I rolled an 8) and Uncanny targeting and throwing. Yep, I can parry bullets. :)
No super weapon, no super vehicle, outside of a sweet Z2 Camaro I bought from a parts dealer cheap for in exchange for not arresting him for smuggling drugs, weapons and money in resorted cars/wrecked cars. It was a piece of **** parts car, but it's coming back into good shape, plus a few upgrades, and at 25 pts per skill check. :)

Ahh that makes perfect sense as a combination of abilities, thats a great theme/archtype for vibration/material wave/kinetic energy type action. very well mixed and complimentary. I see the brainboost as enabling the precise calculations for vibrational accuracy, mind and body more attuned("sensitive to the vibrations"), increased awareness(a bit of overlap with sense vibrations so enhances each other well and makes sense as a "required secondary power" type trope), manipulate kinetic energy mesh well of course since that's what we are dealing with here! Really well done and looks well thought out, haha would love to be in a game with such well themed players :D! I sense your groups game is really fun and cinematic/dramatic!
Regularguy
Adventurer

At that . . . what's the big one-two punch drawback of vibrating to the point of intangibility? You're vulnerable when solid, but can't take any other actions when insubstantial.

So when you're solid, you'd maybe want to expand 'feel vibrations' into Sixth Sense: to know when it's time to (a) become insubstantial against most attacks, or (b) ghost through walls to get away. Though until you actually get that warning, you could solidly get the job done with brute-force vibration blasts or telekinetic finesse as needed -- which you could describe as two sides of the same psychic coin.

And, coming back around, you could likewise even describe insubstantiality in psi terms: your crowning achievement is concentrating so hard as to turn your body into thought!
flatline
Knight

Vibration has always been one of my favorite powers primarily because I love the ability to vibrate through objects.

--flatline

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The Artist Formerly
Champion

Niji wrote:

1 Major; Vibration.

Ahh that makes perfect sense as a combination of abilities, thats a great theme/archtype for vibration/material wave/kinetic energy type action. very well mixed and complimentary. I see the brainboost as enabling the precise calculations for vibrational accuracy, mind and body more attuned("sensitive to the vibrations"), increased awareness(a bit of overlap with sense vibrations so enhances each other well and makes sense as a "required secondary power" type trope), manipulate kinetic energy mesh well of course since that's what we are dealing with here! Really well done and looks well thought out, haha would love to be in a game with such well themed players :D! I sense your groups game is really fun and cinematic/dramatic!

Thanks.

I just rolled the 8 for IQ, and I hate playing dim types. As I tend to be the schemer in the group, I have a hell of a time staying in character. So my first thought was to burn a minor on EX:IQ, but then rethought it. As we are playing SECTOR agents, the super soldier was a better choice. I got really lucky on the powers rolls, and originally built Gravity control+ Gravity waves But as I said in the first post, I was game breaking without really trying to. I took the parts of my original build and rebuilt him as such. I got a really good build out of this character, he's a lot of fun to play and the game is challenging without over ramping on power, or leaving me feeling like I'm a few steps behind the curve either. It took a couple of rebuilds and for more then just my character, to get here but all of the parts are really coming together. :D
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

IQ 8 is not "a dim type".
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

SittingBull wrote:IQ 8 is not "a dim type".

IQ 80 is classed as "Dull Normal IQ" or "Below Average IQ"
So I guess calling them 'dim' would be reasonable. They are not a moron, but they are not very bright either
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
SittingBull
Hero

Just on 3d6, the average middle three numbers are 8-10.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
flatline
Knight

SittingBull wrote:Just on 3d6, the average middle three numbers are 8-10.

No.

The expected value is 10.5. 10 and 11 are the most commonly rolled values.

The expected value for 1d6 is 3.5. As such, the expected value for 3d6 would be three times that: 3 * 3.5 = 10.5.

--flatline

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

flatline wrote:
SittingBull wrote:Just on 3d6, the average middle three numbers are 8-10.

No.

The expected value is 10.5. 10 and 11 are the most commonly rolled values.

The expected value for 1d6 is 3.5. As such, the expected value for 3d6 would be three times that: 3 * 3.5 = 10.5.

--flatline

Which nicely gets a 'normal people have an IQ of 100-110 with 105 being rather common'

SittingBull
Hero

Sorry I rounded down, better safe than sorry.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Invulnerability alone probably wouldn't be that bad, the problems start cropping up when it gets stacked with other really good powers.

If you were just 'Unbreakable' or whatev then stronger guys could still toss you around, immobilize you in crushing holds, bury you in earth, tie you up, etc.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Tor wrote:Invulnerability alone probably wouldn't be that bad, the problems start cropping up when it gets stacked with other really good powers.

If you were just 'Unbreakable' or whatev then stronger guys could still toss you around, immobilize you in crushing holds, bury you in earth, tie you up, etc.

Invulnerability is troublesome when the GM has to stack up things that can reasonably injure the character in combat. Not impossible, but over 50 or so game sessions before we move on to other games and or characters, plausibility for the bad guys often having those resources starts to stretch things. It's not impossible, and there are more then a few solutions, but...

To that end, we had a list of powers that we put on the banned list. Just stuff we found too hard to work around or damaged the flow of the game play.
SittingBull
Hero

Or powers that made it difficult for the rest of the players. Like in some play by post games I am in, multiple selves is banned just to avoid slowing the game down since most players have enough just keeping their one character going.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I have banned the power "Zombie Flesh".
SittingBull
Hero

NMI wrote:I have banned the power "Zombie Flesh".

Just seems like a zombie version of invulnerable, yes?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

It's better than invulnerability.

SittingBull
Hero

Interesting. Because of the being able to reattach body parts?
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

In the write up of the power, it mentions that holes can be blown into the character without penalty. Ok.
Limbs can be blown off without effect or penalty to the PC. So I can blow the leg off of someone and not have it have any effect on the user? They will still run at full speed?
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Rmb.
Wp: Natural Energy Blasts.
Cb1 Sharpshooter.
Yes each sharpshooter ability costs a skill but, for crazy bonuses with super powers this is the way to go.

3 skill slots get you an extra attack, called shot and iniative bonuses.
SittingBull
Hero

NMI wrote:In the write up of the power, it mentions that holes can be blown into the character without penalty. Ok.
Limbs can be blown off without effect or penalty to the PC. So I can blow the leg off of someone and not have it have any effect on the user? They will still run at full speed?

I would think movement speed would be outside of the "not have any effect on the user" statement.

The problem, it seems to me, is that games in this day an age need to be written by lawyers.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

say652 wrote:Rmb.
Cb1 Sharpshooter.
Yes each sharpshooter ability costs a skill but, for crazy bonuses with super powers this is the way to go.

This ain't Rifts pardner!

Keeping it real...

Super Invention / Hardware PC

Gun * Scope/Sight
Item #1: Scope
1 minor: Targeting
2 minor: Advanced Sight

Item #2: Gun
1 minor: Energy Expulsion: Force
2 minor: Energy Expulsion: Energy

Stick it in the hands of a Hardware Weapons Expert
Somewhat book legal if you ignore the restriction that the Inventor can only be Hardware: Electrical and/or Mechanical.
SittingBull
Hero

flatline wrote:It takes all your attacks to be intangible, so it's a hugely handicapped version of the power.

--flatline

If it takes all your actions to become intangible, doesn't that mean you can't move? Not trying to sound smart but at face value that what I get out of it.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

say652 wrote:Rmb.
Cb1 Sharpshooter.

There is no WP: Natural Energy Blasts
And Sharpshooter is not available as a skill in HU (its a special class skill of the Weapons Hardware class)

The Artist Formerly
Champion

eliakon wrote:There is no WP: Natural Energy Blasts

Shock/Lady Lightning has such a critter in the GMs guide (page 123). But you are correct about the sharp-shooter thing.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Shock/Lady Lightning has such a critter in the GMs guide (page 123). But you are correct about the sharp-shooter thing.

Even there she doesn't have WP: Natural Energy Blast. She had to give up a skill for each super power she wished to specialize in.
Thus WP: Energy Expulsion Electricity would be different than WP: Energy Expulsion Fire, which would be different from the next power....

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

SittingBull wrote:

--flatline

If it takes all your actions to become intangible, doesn't that mean you can't move? Not trying to sound smart but at face value that what I get out of it.

Mine as well. You can stand in place and be intangible, but to move and walk through things you need to use the other ability to vibrate through non-living material.

The Artist Formerly
Champion

eliakon wrote:

Even there she doesn't have WP: Natural Energy Blast. She had to give up a skill for each super power she wished to specialize in.
Thus WP: Energy Expulsion Electricity would be different than WP: Energy Expulsion Fire, which would be different from the next power....

Splitting hairs.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

SittingBull wrote:
The problem, it seems to me, is that games in this day an age need to be written by lawyers.

More play testing is the key. 3.5 suffered from that. Stuff that had been strongly play tested held up fine. Stuff that wasn't dragged the rest of the system down.
SittingBull
Hero

I was referring, for example, to zombieflesh where it says "Limbs can be blown off without effect or penalty to the PC". Now there are 2 types of players. The first type who go "ok, but I wont be able to move very well" and the second type who go "I can still run because it doesn't say I can't". This is what drove me away from Rifts was a huge amount of the second type of players who would try ANYTHING that the rules didn't specifically state otherwise.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

eliakon wrote:

Splitting hairs.

Its not splitting hairs.
This is the difference between saying you can have WP: Sword or W.P. Shotgun .... W.P.: Weapons
Its a HUGE difference.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”