Now that's a serious power.

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Re: Now that's a serious power.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

eliakon wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:
eliakon wrote:
eliakon wrote:There is no WP: Natural Energy Blasts

Shock/Lady Lightning has such a critter in the GMs guide (page 123). But you are correct about the sharp-shooter thing.

Even there she doesn't have WP: Natural Energy Blast. She had to give up a skill for each super power she wished to specialize in.
Thus WP: Energy Expulsion Electricity would be different than WP: Energy Expulsion Fire, which would be different from the next power....

Splitting hairs.

Its not splitting hairs.
This is the difference between saying you can have WP: Sword or W.P. Shotgun .... W.P.: Weapons
Its a HUGE difference.

W.P. Swords covers all swords. From Katanas to long swords to short swords and everything in between.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

In our game, we used WP Pistol to cover all handguns (energy pistol, revolver, etc) and WP Rifle to cover all long guns (e. rifle, rifle, shotgun, etc).

But we do track which particular weapons your character is familiar with.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

flatline wrote:In our game, we used WP Pistol to cover all handguns (energy pistol, revolver, etc) and WP Rifle to cover all long guns (e. rifle, rifle, shotgun, etc).

But we do track which particular weapons your character is familiar with.

--flatline

Yeah, I always kind of wondered at why revolvers were considered different from pistols. There aren't any mechanical properties I can think of that would alter shooting styles.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

eliakon wrote:
eliakon wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:Shock/Lady Lightning has such a critter in the GMs guide (page 123). But you are correct about the sharp-shooter thing.

Even there she doesn't have WP: Natural Energy Blast. She had to give up a skill for each super power she wished to specialize in.
Thus WP: Energy Expulsion Electricity would be different than WP: Energy Expulsion Fire, which would be different from the next power....

Splitting hairs.

Its not splitting hairs.
This is the difference between saying you can have WP: Sword or W.P. Shotgun .... W.P.: Weapons
Its a HUGE difference.

W.P. Swords covers all swords. From Katanas to long swords to short swords and everything in between.

But it doesn't cover maces, or energy rifles, or quarter staves, or missile launchers.....
You still need the specific W.P. for the kind of weapon you want. Same here, you need the W.P. for the super power you want.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

The Artist Formerly wrote:Yeah, I always kind of wondered at why revolvers were considered different from pistols. There aren't any mechanical properties I can think of that would alter shooting styles.

The only I can think would be the reloading.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Daniel Stoker wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:Yeah, I always kind of wondered at why revolvers were considered different from pistols. There aren't any mechanical properties I can think of that would alter shooting styles.

The only I can think would be the reloading.

Daniel Stoker

Eh.... Sure. :|

Kind of one of those things, it's not worth house ruling, but no one seems to know why. Using a revolver does give you style points, so maybe we say 'adds to play value'?

Just a thought.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

eliakon wrote:W.P. Swords covers all swords. From Katanas to long swords to short swords and everything in between.

But it doesn't cover maces, or energy rifles, or quarter staves, or missile launchers.....
You still need the specific W.P. for the kind of weapon you want. Same here, you need the W.P. for the super power you want.[/quote]

But a WP covers everything in a given range, or, all likes together. A sword isn't a shotgun, but an energy blast of X is fairly similar to an energy blast of Y.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

eliakon wrote:W.P. Swords covers all swords. From Katanas to long swords to short swords and everything in between.

You still need the specific W.P. for the kind of weapon you want. Same here, you need the W.P. for the super power you want.

But a WP covers everything in a given range, or, all likes together. A sword isn't a shotgun, but an energy blast of X is fairly similar to an energy blast of Y.[/quote]
Obviously not close enough. The official character with this skill needed to buy three separate skills for each of her three powers.
And since we have examples such as W.P. Automatic Pistol and W.P. Revolver or W.P. Rifle and W.P. Shotgun or W.P. Staff and W.P. Blunt the precedent is already for needing separate W.P.s for things.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Revovlers are more accurate designed to give +1 iniative and uh Cowboy.
You can't look oldschool in heavy deadboy armor using a laser pistol.
Its about style.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

eliakon wrote:Obviously not close enough. The official character with this skill needed to buy three separate skills for each of her three powers.
And since we have examples such as W.P. Automatic Pistol and W.P. Revolver or W.P. Rifle and W.P. Shotgun or W.P. Staff and W.P. Blunt the precedent is already for needing separate W.P.s for things.

Another super hero series I'm reading has a character who's an absorber and absorbs things like fire and kinetic energy and halfway through the first book learns how to absorb electricity. The problem is fire spreads and goes out one way, but electricity is totally different and it takes him months to learn how to not only release it so it doesn't all go out at once, but how to release it so it goes at one target not at anything nearby that's grounded.

Daniel Stoker
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

say652 wrote:Revovlers are more accurate designed to give +1 iniative and uh Cowboy.
Its about style.

I thought revolvers were +1 to hit not +1 initiative.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
eliakon wrote:Obviously not close enough. The official character with this skill needed to buy three separate skills for each of her three powers.

Another super hero series I'm reading has a character who's an absorber and absorbs things like fire and kinetic energy and halfway through the first book learns how to absorb electricity. The problem is fire spreads and goes out one way, but electricity is totally different and it takes him months to learn how to not only release it so it doesn't all go out at once, but how to release it so it goes at one target not at anything nearby that's grounded.

Daniel Stoker

That is a very good reason, that makes sense, for there to have each super power need its own skill then. Thank you for sharing.

flatline
Knight

say652 wrote:Revovlers are more accurate designed to give +1 iniative and uh Cowboy.

I've always wondered by the rules give an extra +1 for revolvers. It make no sense. Do they ever explain why that is?

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

eliakon wrote:That is a very good reason, that makes sense, for there to have each super power need its own skill then. Thank you for sharing.

My pleasure and if you get the chance I totally recommend the Drew Hayes Super Powereds series.

Daniel Stoker
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

SittingBull wrote:
Its about style.

I thought revolvers were +1 to hit not +1 initiative.

Sittingbull - you are correct. They get an additional +1 strike [+4 at 1st level]. They do NOT get an initiative bonus.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Its about style.

a: There is no initiative bonus in HEROES UNLIMITED for revolvers. They get an additional +1 strike on aimed shorts. ie: They get a total of +4 strike/aimed at 1st level whereas an automatic pistol has a +3.

b: This is not Rifts. There is no "Heavy Deadboy armor
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Daniel Stoker
Knight

NMI wrote:b: This is not Rifts. There is no "Heavy Deadboy armor

I'm pretty sure he knows that, but I think his point was about looks and style NMI, the Heavy Deadboy armor was an example of how you can't look 'oldschool' while you can with a revolver.

Daniel Stoker
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Daniel Stoker wrote:

Daniel Stoker

Okay.

In effect though, rather then characterization for novelization, what's the difference? I point my hand at someone and a jet of flame goes shooting at them. I point my hand at someone and a arc of electricity leaps to them. I point my hand at someone and a blast of untyped energy hits them. I would argue that like with WP pistol, while subtly different, like a Glock shooting FMJs or Berretta shooting hollow points, they are functionally the same.

Perhaps the character in the book is describing his basic learning curve on his way to the next level. That's how I'd read that.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

That was a rationalization for why they're not functionally the same even if the rules don't actually address that. If you don't care and want to say it doesn't matter then that's not a problem, I was just giving an example for someone to use if they did.

As to the character, no, he’s pretty clear on electricity working different then fire and not being able to use the same skills to get it to ‘go’.

Daniel Stoker
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Daniel Stoker wrote:

Daniel Stoker

Okay.

In effect though, rather then characterization for novelization, what's the difference? I point my hand at someone and a jet of flame goes shooting at them. I point my hand at someone and a arc of electricity leaps to them. I point my hand at someone and a blast of untyped energy hits them. I would argue that like with WP pistol, while subtly different, like a Glock shooting FMJs or Berretta shooting hollow points, they are functionally the same.

Perhaps the character in the book is describing his basic learning curve on his way to the next level. That's how I'd read that.

I think Daniel was just trying to share an example of a rationalization for the canon rule of 'spent one skill for each power' as to why they need to buy strike by power and instead not the more efficient W.P. Energy Blast.

SittingBull
Hero

Daniel Stoker wrote:

Daniel Stoker

Okay.

I, as a GM, try to encourage that character discovering new powers and how to use them in game. Makes them feel a much better earning than just "oh, by the way, you learned how to do this, you have the power".
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
SittingBull
Hero

Daniel Stoker wrote:That was a rationalization for why they're not functionally the same even if the rules don't actually address that. If you don't care and want to say it doesn't matter then that's not a problem, I was just giving an example for someone to use if they did.

As to the character, no, he’s pretty clear on electricity working different then fire and not being able to use the same skills to get it to ‘go’.

Daniel Stoker

Those various energy form wps could allow some trick shots in certain situations. Due to the different characteristics of the different energies.
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Daniel Stoker wrote:That was a rationalization for why they're not functionally the same even if the rules don't actually address that. If you don't care and want to say it doesn't matter then that's not a problem, I was just giving an example for someone to use if they did.

Daniel Stoker

Eh. I can't say I'm married to the idea one way or the other.

When authors of novels try and talk out game mechanics as character bits, they tend to come out a little weird. Cough*Salvatore*cough.

At the mechanical level, I don't see a sufficient difference to warrant a different skill. As it relates to Palladium's rule system anyway. All pistols use the same skill, all swords use the same skill. A fire blast and a electricity blast are different critters, no doubt, but under this rule set... eh.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

SittingBull wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:

Daniel Stoker

Okay.

I, as a GM, try to encourage that character discovering new powers and how to use them in game. Makes them feel a much better earning than just "oh, by the way, you learned how to do this, you have the power".

Gaming logic. By sneaking and fighting my through a Dracula castle, I have become better at sewing. Why does that work? Because the game system uses leveling rather then XP buys. You're not wrong by any stretch of the imagination. The assumption the system takes is that a given character is doing more then the just flexing in the mirror when he isn't actively saving the day.
flatline
Knight

We instituted a points based system to replace leveling. It was pretty crude, but we liked it better than RAW.

Another GM used a system like the old call of cthulu where you had a chance to improve skills by using them. Totally threw levels out the window.

Daniel Stoker
Knight

The Artist Formerly wrote:Eh. I can't say I'm married to the idea one way or the other.

When authors of novels try and talk out game mechanics as character bits, they tend to come out a little weird. Cough*Salvatore*cough.

Well you can’t blame the author as he’s writing a book, I’m the one who offered his description of how that character’s power worked as something one could if they wanted to use to explain why you might need a different WP.

At the mechanical level, I don't see a sufficient difference to warrant a different skill. As it relates to Palladium's rule system anyway. All pistols use the same skill, all swords use the same skill. A fire blast and a electricity blast are different critters, no doubt, but under this rule set... eh.

Which is fine, but if you did, the bit above is a good way to explain it away.

Daniel Stoker
SittingBull
Hero

Here, here!
Kosh from Babylon 5
Doctor Who
Bane