Enhanced Leaping Speed?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Enhanced Leaping Speed?

Unread post by wyrmraker »

say652 wrote:The superjump damaging the take off and land zones.
Not the character.

I'm really not seeing that conclusion. Not unless everything is made of highly breakable obects. While I can understand the forces involved, the core of the genre doesn't usually have that occurring. The Hulk doesn't crater a street upon takeoff, although he can upon landing, depending on the artist. This is understandable since the Hulk weighs at least 1000 pounds (depends on the version). But a 200 pound guy isn't going to damage a street, roof, or too many other structures by his weight and speed of descent.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

wyrmraker wrote:
say652 wrote:The superjump damaging the take off and land zones.
Not the character.

I'm really not seeing that conclusion. Not unless everything is made of highly breakable obects. While I can understand the forces involved, the core of the genre doesn't usually have that occurring. The Hulk doesn't crater a street upon takeoff, although he can upon landing, depending on the artist. This is understandable since the Hulk weighs at least 1000 pounds (depends on the version). But a 200 pound guy isn't going to damage a street, roof, or too many other structures by his weight and speed of descent.

That's what I said. People killing themselves by jumping off buildings don't often leave craters in the ground. Maybe a crack. Usually it's just 'splat'.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

flatline wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:"Your" power (where ever it's from or made of) doesn't fry your hand when you produce it, so it doesn't fry you if you are hit with it.

Premise: "your power doesn't fry your hand when you produce it"
Conclusion: "your power doesn't fry you if you are hit with it"

The conclusion doesn't follow from the premise.

--flatline

Sure it does. "This fire I produce doesn't burn me when I make it. Why would it suddenly burn me seconds later. Is it some how more 'firy'? No. It's the same fire I just made that didn't burn me a bit.

You're projecting some sort of change in the energy expulsion, during it's 'life time.'. I.E. when I make it I'm fine and not burned but suddenly the fire that didn't burn me changes and now can burn me?

Where are you seeing the change? Is it a micron from the hand? seems too close, You'd still get burned. An inch? Still pretty close. A foot out, does the fire suddenly acquire the ability to burn you after a foot of distance? Why A foot? Why not 9 inches? Or 24? Or 10 feet? Where's the cut off point for "Doesn't burn me" that turns into "OH CRAP THAT BURNS!"

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Pepsi Jedi wrote:
flatline wrote:
Pepsi Jedi wrote:"Your" power (where ever it's from or made of) doesn't fry your hand when you produce it, so it doesn't fry you if you are hit with it.

Premise: "your power doesn't fry your hand when you produce it"

The conclusion doesn't follow from the premise.

--flatline

Sure it does. "This fire I produce doesn't burn me when I make it. Why would it suddenly burn me seconds later. Is it some how more 'firy'? No. It's the same fire I just made that didn't burn me a bit.

You're projecting some sort of change in the energy expulsion, during it's 'life time.'. I.E. when I make it I'm fine and not burned but suddenly the fire that didn't burn me changes and now can burn me?

Where are you seeing the change? Is it a micron from the hand? seems too close, You'd still get burned. An inch? Still pretty close. A foot out, does the fire suddenly acquire the ability to burn you after a foot of distance? Why A foot? Why not 9 inches? Or 24? Or 10 feet? Where's the cut off point for "Doesn't burn me" that turns into "OH CRAP THAT BURNS!"

If the conclusion followed from the premise, then I could add other premises without changing the conclusion as long as my new premises don't contradict the existing premises.

Let's try that, shall we?

Original Premise: "your power doesn't fry your hand when you produce it"
New Premise: "the energy doesn't manifest until it's a safe distance away from you"

But wait! If you're hit by the energy, then you're no longer a safe distance from it!

If you feel that the new premise contradicts the original premise, then you are probably mentally inserting other premises (aka "hidden premises") that do contradict the new premise. However, if the original argument requires additional hidden premises for the conclusion to follow, then that means that the conclusion does not follow from the given premise in the absence of the hidden premises.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Nothing indicates that you point your hand and fire appears 3 feet out and shoots in the direction you point your hand. Your Energy Expulsion comes out of you, be it your hands or your eyes or what have you.

You're now trying to move the goal posts and change the debate.

Answer the question, if you're shooting fire from your hands or eyes, it's coming out of you/being generated from your hands or eyes and doesn't burn you, when does that SAME FIRE become burny, and why?

flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

You made an invalid argument.
I told you it was invalid.
You disagreed.
I demonstrated how it was invalid.
You accuse me of moving the goalposts.

We're done.

Have a great week.

--flatline
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

And because people can't play nice, we find ourselves now in a locked topic.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”