Random superpower manifestation

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Random superpower manifestation

Unread post by acreRake »

Is there a way to create a character whose superpower(s) change(s) from time to time or even at will?
I know there's the mutant unstable mutation where one minor power changes (one major, one minor stays the same) at level thresholds. is there a way to have a major power (or all your powers) change randomly and more often?

/bythebook?
Last edited by acreRake on Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Razorwing
Hero

Re: Random superpower manifestation

Unread post by Razorwing »

So you want a Hero more like the "Dial H for Hero" setting/comic where each time a person activated the Hero Dial they got a different set of powers, yes?

Unfortunately, no power category actually allows for a "random" assortment of powers each time they are activated. That said, it would make for a rather interesting peculiarity of a hero... that can be both a blessing and a curse. The blessing is that since his powers are always random, the character will be hard to anticipate and deal with. However, since he can't control which powers he gets... he may never fully master them (always 1st level strength... maybe 1/2 character's level strength) even as he gets more experienced himself... but the amount of experience he gets with different powers can be impressive. This lack of fine control (that develops with practice of consistent powers) helps to balance the otherwise over powering nature of having random powers.

Personally, I find something a little in between to be intriguing... maybe a character with a random APS power... and/or a random Energy Expulsion power... where the powers themselves are random, but follow a certain theme. I could get behind either completely or semi random powers... if there was a logical reason for the randomness (like the Hero Dial provided in the comics).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
acreRake
Hero

Is having completely random powers really overpowering?
Seems like it could go the other way too and wind up being useless or at least sub-optimal, especially at low levels.

I mean, i'm not talking about someone like Legion (who technically has all those powers, just not always access), or even Jack Jack... well maybe from Jack Jack Attack, where his random powers don't exactly help him in any way. The character I'm envisioning would have no way of knowing what they can do before "powering up" and the possibility of never having that power again. Like early Ben-10 crossed with The Quiz.

Also: Random, but from a list seems like a good idea, especially for something like energy expulsion... have to think about that.

(i thought i might have overlooked something in either Skraypers or Mutant Underground -two books i don't reference much- nothing in there...)

Another idea: Grant Powers can instill one random (minor) super ability to a non-powered individual...
Maybe something like a Enchanted Object (which would have Grant Powers as it's lone superpower) could grant the use a random power?
Man, what a terrible power! At least in terms of the cost to reward ratio... 7-12 HP for a three minute (per level) enhancement. That's weaksauce. So the object wouldn't have HP, so safe there but make the power last lots longer...

Then pick a decent "other ability" like flight or invisibility, and maybe make it a mega hero so it could stack up against an average hero?
<that would use the super slow XP progression... and the superpowers would always be a single first level minor...>
Again, more thought required.
Last edited by acreRake on Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

acreRake wrote:Is there a way to create a character who's superpower(s) change(s) from time to time or even at will?
I know there's the mutant unstable mutation where one minor power changes (one major, one minor stays the same) at level thresholds. is there a way to have a major power (or all your powers) change randomly and more often?

/bythebook?

Not quite what you are looking for, but if they only have the power of "Mimic" alone. Could put a "defect" or "variant" on the power, that when activated it scans w/n a given radius (likely larger than listed, maybe even point of origin of scan isn't them but something else) and randomly assigns power(s) or appropriate category based on the scan.

To be random/will I would think you would need to have some type of transformation take place that activates the powers I would think (seen in Experiment Category and Mega-Hero Category and Enchant Weapon/Object). From there you simply have them roll on the power table(s) each time they attempt to activate powers by transformation. Basically instead of "Choice of [...] Super Abilities" for their Super/Magic abilities, they would roll each time on the appropriate table(s) for Super Powers.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

The potentially overpowering nature of this is in the fact that at least in theory such a character has access to nearly every power (and depending on how many Majors/Minors he gets... well some combinations are going to be very overpowering). By the same token... the chances of him getting an assortment of powers that don't mesh well with each other is also quite high.

Still... the fact that he doesn't know what powers he's going to get from one use to the next will prevent him from training with those powers to the degree that heroes with more reliable powers can. How can you expect to advance your experience with APS: Fire if the chances of you getting it on any activation of your powers is a mere 0.5% chance (1 in 200)? Okay... the forever at 1st level in terms of power may be a little extreme... but it is a plausible side effect of having so many potential powers and combinations.

One also has to take into account all the various bonuses the powers provide (to attributes, SDC, HP, and combat to name the more common bonuses)... which given the number of powers now in HU can make even the best GM's head spin when dealing with such randomness. Suffice it to say that the stats your character is going to have each time he activates his powers is going to be quite varied.

I would also include the Imbued Hero from PU2... each time you take the item that gives you powers it activates a random set of powers. The mystic object is a good option too... and it also has the built in power limit (level of experience for the powers)... very omnitrix/hero dial like.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

It would have to be worked into the story, and it would prove to be a lot of work for the GM and the player no matter how you handled it. I have a had enough time getting players familiar with their characters' powers without switching/swapping them out from time to time.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

You could make a 'Zodiac' char where what their powers are at any one time depends on what time of year it is.....or even where on earth they are...or even changing year from year. The Lycanthropy and control animals powers can be easily used for this type of power changing.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
acreRake
Hero

HAHA! I found it!
PU2 pg 46 "Super Abilities for the Physical Human Gestalt Being: Unstable!

You get a few minor powers and a random major every time the gestalt comes together.
"Over time, some of the same Major abilities will repeat, but the characters have no idea when. Obviously the constant change requires adjustment on the part of the Gestalt superbeing (and his players), but may also keep his adversaries guessing as well."

Cool. Now I just have to figure out how gestalt fits my character idea...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

acreRake wrote:HAHA! I found it!
PU2 pg 46 "Super Abilities for the Physical Human Gestalt Being: Unstable!

You get a few minor powers and a random major every time the gestalt comes together.
"Over time, some of the same Major abilities will repeat, but the characters have no idea when. Obviously the constant change requires adjustment on the part of the Gestalt superbeing (and his players), but may also keep his adversaries guessing as well."

Cool. Now I just have to figure out how gestalt fits my character idea...
Or you could just make that an option for your Experiment character. No reason that option has to be just for Gestalt. The side effect of the Experiement is that the character's body chemistry is in a state of flux, granting different powers at different times. You might want to limit the powers available for such an unstable effect, though.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”