Supersoldier from PU2 question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Supersoldier from PU2 question

Unread post by Razorwing »

I was going through the various tables in the Supersoldier section of PU2 when noticed something that was quite different from the original Supersoldier option in HU2... namely that apparently one gats both a random roll on a Super Abilities table and 1d4 rolls on the Enhancement tables.

In the original option for Experiments, the Enhancement table more or less replaced the super abilities one receives (only gets 1 minor power in addition to the Enhancements). Now it seems that it is possible that one can get a full array of powers (a combination of Major and Minor powers) and a number of Enhancements.

I'm just wondering if I am reading this right or if I might have missed something. Do the enhancements still replace some of the powers these characters get or are they in addition (because the latter seems to make them a fir bit more powerful).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Supersoldier from PU2 question

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I just flipped through my copy of PU2. It's the first print copy, so I don't know if they changed things there like they did for Eugenics, but it certainly looks like you can have the roll for powers (or the alternative Supersoldier options) as well as the 1D4 Special Enhancements.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

You get both. The supersoldier power category in PU2 was a deliberate upgrade/empowering of the class compared to the main book. It si suppossed to be possible to still make characters at that lower power level, it's just not the "norm" now.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Razorwing
Hero

So I can make a character with the Chemical Augmentation option (instead of Super Abilities) and still get 1d4 enhancements. That is a correct interpretation of the power increase, yes?
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

That is how I've seen it done, yes. I would get your G.M.'s opinion on the matter though as they may interpret it differently.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

Razorwing wrote:So I can make a character with the Chemical Augmentation option (instead of Super Abilities) and still get 1d4 enhancements. That is a correct interpretation of the power increase, yes?

Ehhh. If you're trying to make a 'Superjuicer'.... maybe. That's a GM call.

It's always been my read if you go the "Juicer" route, it supersedes the other stuff. Not 'in addition to'. The Juicer is "A different option" as to a super soldier. Not "Something to tack on on top of all the rest'.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Razorwing
Hero

I normally would say the Chemical Augmentation supersedes both super abilities and enhancements... except that on the tables provided it is grouped with the Super Abilities... meaning that the enhancements are separate from the Augmentation (just as they are now separate from Super Abilities).

And for the record... I am the GM of the group I play with... which is why I wanted to be sure of how all this worked before I let my group go wild with the possibilities.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

The new Super-Duper-Soldier does have the option of getting both, there are some contradictory text.

Evidence A: Chemical/endoskeletal/brain enhancements are in the same table as determining super abilities
Evidence B: Special Supersoldier Enhancement Table states "ALL supersoldiers"
Evidence C: Special Supersoldier Enhancement Table states "roll on the following table ... and/or Brain Chemical Endo"

Counter Evidence A: Special Supersoldier Enhancement Table states "roll on the following table ... and/or Brain Chemical Endo"
Counter Evidence B: Alternative Supersoldier Enhancment Table states "Instead of the above, the player may roll up one of the following three"

All that said I believe that Heroes Unlimited being the game it is, any and all the options are acceptable depending on the power level of your game.

... And I love the Endoskeletal Replacement Supersoldiers. Mine has that plus Brain Boost, Mind and Body attuned, and Internal Robotic Medical System
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What is the Number of Enhancements for the Supersoldier in Power Unlimited 2?
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

1D4 from a list, if memory serves.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Razorwing
Hero

In the PU2 that I have (First Printing) the Chemical Enhancement option is on the Number/Type of Super Abilities Table... which suggests that it is an option available instead of Super Abilities. There is no mention on the Supersoldier Enhancement table of the 3 Alternatives (Chemical/Brain Implants/Endoskeleton)... there is no and/or option. The only thing that is mentioned is that if one rolls the same Enhancement twice ignore it and get an extra roll on the Special Weapon Table.

It is mentioned in the Alternative Types section that explains the differences and bonuses of the Chemical Enhancement and other types that one can use these instead of the above. However, since these options are on the Special Abilities table (which is technically above this section), it could be referring to that table alone.

If one were to just take these Alternative options alone, the character created would be about as powerful as the Supersoldier option from the original Experiment section... which kind of defeats the power increase Supersoldiers got as their own Power Category here. To put it another way... why would someone take these options if one can get both Powers and Enhancements (the latter of which can give the character almost the same bonuses these options do; if one can get enough rolls)? Weighed against the possible combinations with having 1 Major Power, 2 Minor Powers and 4 Enhancements... none of the optional Augmentations come close to matching that on their own. Either the optional Augmentations replace the Super Abilities or they replace the Enhancement options... replacing both makes them weaker than characters that don't take these options.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”