Build off! When house hold appliances come alive!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Build off! When house hold appliances come alive!

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

In another thread, Eliakon said this
, an a sentient ex-household appliance.....

Which got me thinking, we should have a build off for the best conceptual build. Standard ye old'e build off rules apply.

1) Must be book legal, HU2E, all three of the PU books, GM's guide, Villains, the Aliens and Galaxy and Anarchy are all workable, Ninjas and Superspies, and any and all TMNT books. No on the Rifters, too many of them and you can get some ... different out comes out of them, let's say no to Rifts stuff too. Recon rules are out as well, too old and they don't really comply with HU2E stuff, and the same with PFRPG, because, you know, Kobolds. I fricken hate Kobolds.

2) You have one week to build it, so your build isn't finalized until 2PM Eastern Standard time. 2-19-15. You can post it, edit it, rebuild it, add a whole new build. Start a new post for a new build and put at the top of your build, first words "NEW BUILD" or something to draw attention to it. Multiple entries are allowed. Figure average rolls for all numbers, if you have a decimal, round down to the nearest number. Powers, number of powers and over all power level maybe be chosen by the creator. Same with budgets or similar concerns.

3) The award is a FABLOUS imaginary WW...WWW....W style belt you can wear in your imagination every time you come here to post. Unless someone takes it from you in a cage match and/or hits you with a chair when you're not looking. You'll know it's the real thing and not a cheap knock off because it will have the Mighty Static Man giving you the double thumbs up, cast from solid lead and asbestos.

Categories:
A} Most awesome and imaginative origin story. How exactly did a house hold device become self aware and gain super powers? (This is the writing portion of your work)
B} Combat ability/butt-stomping. (Show off your build skills! Damage output, ability to take punishment and how adaptable to different fight types and locations)
C} Playability. Skill sets, ability to have a life outside of being a super hero(you know, to get in the way of being a super hero for that whole schtick). So a job, a life, that kind of stuff. Try and use the optional rules.

Edit: added eastern standard time. Added notes on power selection and power levels, added notes about budgets.
Last edited by The Artist Formerly on Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Build off! When house hold appliances come alive!

Unread post by Glistam »

I love it! Question: You said assume "average" rolls for all numbers and that it has to be book legal. That seems to make a sort of sense for stats and rolled bonuses, but what about tables - such as the super power tables, the power category tables, budget tables, etcetera?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Glistam wrote:I love it! Question: You said assume "average" rolls for all numbers and that it has to be book legal. That seems to make a sort of sense for stats and rolled bonuses, but what about tables - such as the super power tables, the power category tables, budget tables, etcetera?

That's up to you, added notes about that in the original post. If you use less power or resources to better effect, that's worth more in the build category (#2).
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin
Comment: 24 was the start... We are Legion.

Unread post by Pepsi Jedi »

This seems like a fun little thought project.

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

James Tiberius Kirk: Well, not _only_...
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Draft 1: Jack "The King" Kirby

Once upon a time I was the superhero known as "The King", today I'm better known as Kirby. For as you can see, I'm a Kirby vacuum cleaner! As silly as my old King Costume was, it was much superior to being a living vacuum. How did I end up in this form? Well I guess it happened when I died. You remember that big fire back in 89'. I was a member of the Crimson Commandos, we were locked in a battle against the Agony Alliance. They had taken hostages and had decided they weren't going alive. While the rest of the Commandos were saving civilians I was tasked with keeping Psi-an-ide and Captain Combustion occupied. My powers are useful because I can control the building from anywhere inside of it, so I don't have to be close enough to the action to keep these things undercontrol. However I guess we underestimated how powerful a psychic Psianide was. They found me. Thankfully I don't remember much of what came next. If I were to guess Psi-an-ide melted by brain while Captain Combustion melted my body.

However I guess my powers were still active. My mind was detached from my body, I guess Psianide was really much more powerful than any of us could know. My body was never found. Everyone assumed i was so throughly consumed by the flames that all that was left of me was dust. When they were finally done, all the hostages were saved, I was the only casualty. I'm told the funeral was very moving. Eventually repairs to the building began. Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust, Dust to the vacuum. I guess that when my remains were all brought together in this vacuum, my conciousness reasserted itself. I could animate this Kirby Vacuum Cleaner the same way I could animate other objects in life. It is a very odd experience to be a sentient house hold appliance, however I have faith that I'm still on this earth for a reason. I will continue to be a hero, until it is time for me to pass on.

2 major powers
Inhabitation
Animate Objects
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

Early in the morning of 1/12/15 around 3:30am alarms all over the US, and in fact the world lit up space monitoring facilities, and emplacements. As humans rushed to see what had triggered the alert, a point in space over the US opened up. Two alien vessels came through the warp gate, engaged in a massive battle. Each the size of a star destroyer, they were not little girls. Energy cannons on each vessel hammered on the other. missiles fired and exploded as the ships came fully through the gate and into close earth orbit.
Armed forces on the ground were mobilized as quickly as possible as the star-ships continued their battle. Huge chunks of each being blown apart and vaporized. The pair plowed through the orbital paths of many a satellite throwing communications and such into disarray on the ground below. People came out of their houses and looked at the night time sky lit with flashes of the battle so high above.

Before anything could really be done, other than panic on a rather large scale the battle was over. One of the ships scored a direct hit on the other's power core, rupturing it and causing it to blow. The explosion took that ship and 95% of the attacker with it. The explosion sent the majority of debris out away from earth, but as it was in space, the 'sphere' of the explosion meant some rained down on the US. Thankfully only 5% of the ships had survived the explosion. That said 5% of two star destroyer sized ships was alot of crap.

Much burned up in orbit, but still some survived, hitting the US with burning shrapnel from NYC all the way to Sandiego. 1000s died.

But not everyone. Not everything.

A bit of the debris rained down on a small town in Northern Michigan. Flaming from space the debris burned as it came in and slammed into a snowy yard in a rural neighborhood. Sizzling as it cooled, the object twitched.

The owner of the house had been awake and saw the space battle on TV. When the ships exploded he'd gone out to watch the rain of Debris from space. When a chunk came flying down to land in his yard, he'd dove for cover. As he pulled himself out of the snow, he saw the smallish crater and the smoke rising from it. Inching closer he small the small bit of metal debris there.

Glancing to the heavens he grinned and once it was cool enough he picked it up to carry it inside, and got on the internet to tell everyone about it. He placed the object in the garage, not thinking it was dangerous but if it had a ton of radiation on it or something he didn't want it in the house with the kids. It was placed on a work bench beside a drink machine that he kept out there and a fridge. Also... adjacent to all the tools.

As the human crowed about witnessing the space battle (From earth) and the bit of space junk that rained down, the bit of space junk itself twitched again. It then rolled over... and over again and across the bench till it came into contact with the soda-machine.

In an instant, the consciousness was transferred and the Soda machine lit up. There was a rumble inside as the alien consciousness took over the mechanical workings of the machine. It whirred, it clunked things moved inside as they were accessed explored and tried out. After a few minutes it went silent.

Then it went crazy. Noise filled the garage and the human heard it from with in the house. Getting his shot gun he went to investigate. Had aliens come to reclaim their bit of space stuff? Oh this wasn't funny at all. Entering the garage he inched around the SUV. The space junk was gone off the work bench but the drink machine was lighting up.

"Um.... Freeze!!" The guy aimed the shot gun at the drink machine. Which caused it to lurch and shudder and move across the floor. The human screamed and shot it. BOOM!

That proved to be a tragic mistake. The drink machine took the shot to the side and stopped moving. The human inched closer. Suddenly the Machine turned. "CHA-CHOOM! A can of Dr Pepper fired out at immense velocity and hit the man in the head, hard enough to crack his skull and send him flying back into the wall. The machine lurched and suddenly a leg came froth from the side. Then an arm. Another arm and another leg. It stood. Morphing into roughly a humanoid shape. One arm formed like a mini gun, but with barrels big enough to shoot out cans of soda. Blinking lights for eyes looked around the garage and then it went about assimilating the tools and such there. Before it was done it had done so with the SUV as well.

Police responded to the home an hour or two later. The space junk had been tracked by Norad and the guy's posting on Facebook and crowed about finding the space junk, then "hearing something in the garage" and going to investigate. He'd never returned. When the police arrived they approached the garage with guns out and lifted the door.

The machine, or "The Doctor of Pepper" as it now considered itself came tearing out of the garage on tank tred type legs. The cops opened fire on it and the Doctor returned fire. CHOOM CHOOM CHOOM CHOOM! Hitting the cops in the face or chest with the soda cans, knocking them down, out, or out for ever depending. It rammed into a police cruiser and flipped it out of the way as it tore down the street, escaping into the night.

Over the next few weeks and months, it learned of the human race though tv and intercepted transmissions. It's learned that it's actions that first night were not very social and the Dr Feels kinda bad about it. In his defense the human DID shoot him first. Cops too. Still he feels pretty terrible about it all and has decided to join the earth's super heroes, to make up for the actions of self defense that he engaged in on the first night on this planet.

He uses his innate powers to camouflage himself when needed, forming back into the Dr Pepper Soda machine. Sometimes in very strange places. His other abilities give him a veriety of options to help the superhero community.

Major:
Techno Form:
Allows the Doctor to assume a roughly humanoid form, comprised of machine parts and what not, looking robotic.
Immune to mind altering powers, drugs, poisons and disease
Perfect sight, long range sight, night vision,
Superhuman strength
Increased AR and SDC : AR:13, SDC:400 (Eating 10lbs of metal heals 4D6sdc, per10lbs eaten)
Immune to Gasses, poisons, toxins, diseases, cold based attacks, and vaccume. Doesn't need to breathe.
Vehicular Transformation: From a sports car to a battle tank but doesn't often use this option

Alter Limbs:
Body Weapons Modified: Stabby, cutty, poky, hacky weapons at +1D6 on top of their normal damage
Mechanical Body Weapons: Everything from a pencil sharpener to a rifle, or grenade launcher.
Shield arms:
Stretch limbs: Triple normal length.
Locomotion and limbs: Can create wheels and tank treds,

Minors:
Gun Limbs: Seems redundant, but having this power means that the gun limbs don't always have to take Hit points to load. Which is good. After second or third level you can create enough bullets per round 'free' so all your attacks could be used with it.

Mechanical Awareness: Allows him to know about the machines around him and gives a good number of bonus and such.

Energy Expulsion: EMP

Lt. Nyota Uhura: I'm impressed. For a moment there, I thought you were just a dumb hick who only has sex with farm animals.

The Artist Formerly
Champion

Love them both! Keep them coming.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Max Hetzenhauer, the Soup Nazi:

At the height of the WWII, the Nazis were deeply involved with various forms of human augmentation, in their Ubermensch Program. Many different methods were employed, from chemical augmentation, mystic enhancement, biological engineering, but none found as much success as mechanical replacement.

A volunteer, Max Hetzenhauer, was subjected to radical surgery, removing more than 90% of his flesh and blood self, and replacing it with state-of-the-art mechanical bionics. Standing a colossal 9 feet tall, and weighing over a ton, this behemoth was armed with rotating Gatling canons, grenade launch-tubes, and a flame thrower! This was to be the ultimate soldier; strong, fast, with unlimited endurance and near indestructibility. The Iron Nazi design would win them the war!

Or so it would have been, had a bombing raid not struck the bunker housing the secret project, killing all of the scientific staff, and sealing the monstrosity underground with no way of escape. Years passed, as Max wandered the halls of the buried scientific complex, suffering from despair and loneliness. His power core, an experimental design, would keep his life-support systems alive for decades, maybe centuries, but his mechanical parts would eventually wear out and fail. Years passed, and faced with the prospect of being left as a conscious brain in an immobile body, he set to work maintaining and repairing his worn out parts. But as the military equipment ran out, he had to begin to look to more creative ways to keep himself repaired.

When the modern city of Dresden, hundreds of feet above, began constructing a new subway line, the workers breached the walls of the old bunker, and released a long-forgotten evil on the world! Having restored his systems with the appliances he found in the bunker's kitchen, he has emerged into the modern world as: THE SOUP NAZI!!!!

Replacing his rotating Gatling cannons with industrial food-mixers he is capable of delivering a slightly-damaging melee attack. Filling his grenade-launch tubes with soup cans, he can strike with less-than-deadly accuracy. And filling his flame-thrower reservoir with tomato soup, he can deliver a scalding blast of vitamin-rich liquid onto his enemies!

Let the world once more tremble in fear!!! The Soup Nazi is free!!!!
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

MISTER YTTRIUM

A} Most awesome and imaginative origin story. How exactly did a house hold device become self aware and gain super powers? (This is the writing portion of your work)

Once upon a time, there was a whole world where life arose and become self-aware; in a sense, in a very real sense, the biosphere is alive -- and a sentient living organism, insofar as sentient thought evolved, as surely as the day came when the first astronaut journeyed forth into space.

I'm not talking about us; I'm talking about tiny, tiny life. Like the "minute speck" setting of Shrink, for organisms about the size of the period at the end of this sentence. A whole civilization emerged and lived and loved and feared the towering race of human giants because, honestly, people are terrifying. I mean, have you seen people? Now imagine people a thousand times bigger. Yeah.

So they're aliens of the common-to-all-members-of-that-alien-race type, with natural-aspects-of-the-alien's-biology powers; they're all minute specks on a backyard sundial long overgrown by moss. And one among them is their first astronaut, journeying forth to explore the vast universe for the good of his people; that's one small step for a small man, and one giant leap for the small people he keeps safe from us while keeping us safe from each other.

Among us, he's only truly comfortable making a household appliance his houseboat, and so lives on a ship that (a) we'd call a can opener, but (b) to him it's a home; it looks like an inanimate object, but it's inhabited; there's a spark of life there...

B} Combat ability/butt-stomping. (Show off your build skills! Damage output, ability to take punishment and how adaptable to different fight types and locations)

...and that life is an Experiment; add Invulnerability and Sonic Flight to minute-speck Shrink for someone who doesn't need to breathe, so he's adaptable to different fight types and locations -- be it underwater, or in a burning building, or over the rooftops; he can do hit-and-run stuff from range, easy as ignoring slippery ice and murderously intense cold, or ignoring the conditions of leverage while handling enclosed spaces with little room to maneuver, or battling in the heart of a volcano, because why not?

Because, of course, he can just take punishment while slugging it out -- invulnerably shrugging off physical attacks, sure as he's got the immune-to-psi perk for withstanding mental attacks.

And if he ever comes up against a super who can shrug off his kinetic strong suit -- and even at a mere 200 mph, that's a +4 to damage for every 20 mph, plus a 75% chance of trip/knockdown, which is pretty good for a guy with a bonus to his superhuman strength; honestly, he'd be golden even with just Wingless Flight -- he instead relies on the can opener he inhabits and operates: stat it as a humble knife, but of the Energy Melee Weapon type, so it's virtually indestructible and can fire 5D6 energy blasts from a 1000-foot range. And it, like our 99% prowler with scholastic-level surveillance skills, is simply too small to be seen with 20/20 vision from that range. And so cue the snipery.

And he gets a bonus to dodge, on top of folks having a penalty to hit him. And as an astronaut, he's an athlete in top condition, so he gets the extra attack and bonuses from boxing, on top of the extra attacks from HtH training and the bonuses from acrobatics and so on. But as an astronaut, he also...here, hang on a sec...

C} Playability. Skill sets, ability to have a life outside of being a super hero(you know, to get in the way of being a super hero for that whole schtick). So a job, a life, that kind of stuff.

...as an astronaut, he's a science specialist: the equivalent of an advanced mathematician who earned a degree in astronomy and astrophysics, and archaeology and anthropology, because, honestly, to him, it's the same thing; he's just studying the movements of strange and ominous giants wheeling through colossal distances.

And as a curious scientist who grew up surrounded by lush greenery -- to him, it was a Vegetation World! -- he's a student of herbology who creates drugs from vegetation as per holistic medicine, which he (a) used to power the experiment that granted him his nifty abilities, and (b) built the full-on paramedic skill around.

But even that's underselling it; he's fascinated by those he lives among, using the research skill whenever he has a free moment to learn more about anything and everything. (Heck, as an alien he's bound to automatically learn additional secondary skills upon befriending a human; I'm thinking he maybe cultivates a professional-level domestic skill, plus develops talented-amateur status as an artist? Or maybe it depends on who befriends him when we role-play it out.)

I was thinking of maybe making him a Mega: not for more power, but because I love the idea of him having the God Syndrome for all the wrong reasons; he'd be underestimating his enemies in particular, and forgetting about the vulnerability of humans in general, because he's a minute speck in awe of what appear to him as mighty giants. He believes he's above the law, but only because the ends justify the means when your people are minute specks in the shadow of mighty giants. And so on; it doesn't even really matter which mega-power he takes, just like he doesn't really need the special vehicle he gets at no charge.

Try and use the optional rules.

A rules stickler might quibble with me over using WP: Knife for the Energy Melee Weapon can opener he flies around -- and how dare you rule out the Swiss Army Knife! -- but, hey, there's always WP: Weapon Improvisation. And a rules stickler might insist on the "beings from other planets who possess unusual and extraordinary powers" phrase -- even though it's of course possible to build an Alien with no powers -- but if so, I'd (a) note that the section in question helpfully spells out that "the setting is (an alternative) Earth", which means it's technically already another planet; and then I'd (b) shrug and say, okay, there's a whole Counter-Earth forever on the other side of the sun, much like the Earth only minus the terrifying race of giants, and the people of Sundial One were flown there by their greatest hero, who then flew from there to Earth, because, hey, explorer-and-scientist who came to study Earth extensively and now can speak and read and write five different Earth languages fluently, right?

In which case the special vehicle was -- his civilization's ark? Yeah, okay; it all hangs together.
Pepsi Jedi
Palladin

So who wins?

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

We do. Duh...
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Pepsi Jedi wrote:So who wins?

Sorry, had the worst cold I've ever had in my life. :(
The Artist Formerly
Champion

So, in terms of back story and over all concept, I like Pepsi's build the best. That is to say, most playable, so he get's the number two award.

Regular guy is the only one to enter the number three category, so win for him there.

I like Incriptus' back story, and his is the only truly mundane house hold object, so he get's the number one category win.

Filo built the only villain and a Seinfeld reference, who likely stole the prize belt, so there we go. :)
Regularguy
Adventurer

The Artist Formerly wrote:So, in terms of back story and over all concept, I like Pepsi's build the best. That is to say, most playable, so he get's the number two award.

I just don't get why he didn't call the guy Pepsi Jedi. :wink:
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Regularguy wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:So, in terms of back story and over all concept, I like Pepsi's build the best. That is to say, most playable, so he get's the number two award.

I just don't get why he didn't call the guy Pepsi Jedi. :wink:

Let's see you work a light saber and force lightning into that build. :)
Regularguy
Adventurer

The Artist Formerly wrote:Let's see you work a light saber and force lightning into that build. :)

If you want to see folks get zapped with blasts as a rippling-with-energy blade weapon loops around that vending machine like a telekinetically-wielded lightsaber, then I figure Pepsi Jedi's superhero and mine are just teaming up buddy-cop style to save the day; it's the visitor from beyond and the astronaut from the backyard against the ubermensch himself when THE DOCTOR OF PEPPER and MISTER YTTRIUM foil THE SOUP NAZI!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Forget the household appliance! Let's just go for the whole damn house.

Have it as one of those "smart home" but in this case, the central "core" of the house is an AI. Give it whatever appropriate programs you think are right - Engineering and Business?

Super Abilities for the AI / smarthome:
Inhabitation
Frequency Absorption
EO IQ
Healing Factor? [in the form of mini-robots/self cleaning systems
Solar Powered? [uses solar energy to recharge batteries, generator, etc..
Mechano-Link?
Machine Merge?
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

NMI wrote:Forget the household appliance! Let's just go for the whole damn house.

Have it as one of those "smart home" but in this case, the central "core" of the house is an AI. Give it whatever appropriate programs you think are right - Engineering and Business?

Inhabitation
Frequency Absorption
EO IQ
Mechano-Link?
Machine Merge?

Transfer intellegence? Say to a smartphone, cloud ect?
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Hawk258 wrote:
NMI wrote:Forget the household appliance! Let's just go for the whole damn house.

Inhabitation
Frequency Absorption
EO IQ
Mechano-Link?
Machine Merge?

Transfer intellegence? Say to a smartphone, cloud ect?

I would see a transfer to a "smartphone" being limited -- more of an fragmented essence or "avatar" as I that unless the phone was designed for it, I doubt the phone could support holding an AI... regardless of super-science.

Now if the AI was remotely accessing the smartphone, say over a cellular or wifi network and what a person saw on the phone was more of just the avatar, then sure.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

Makes sense
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

On my first run through of the mad machine, I had DelSeN build a copy of his core and install it into a cell tower. When the PCs destroyed his body, he uploaded to it, and a few stories later, he took control of the Delta Eight Two body and started all over again. :)

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”