Magic Weapons...

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dakchronos
Wanderer

Magic Weapons...

Unread post by Dakchronos »

Looking for Rules regarding bows and crossbows for the Magic Weapon Power Category. I've been on a range fighter trend lately.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Magic Weapons...

Unread post by Glistam »

By the main book, the magic weapon can't be one of those because there's no option for it on the table. Personally I'd allow it and I do allow it (one of my players is a hero with the Bow of Artemis). I left all the other options the same and just ruled that part of the transformation included a quiver with basic arrows.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Use the energy blast rules and either attacks per melee or the archery attacks rules.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I also ruled that the arrows did the same damage that was rolled by the weapon, but only the arrows that the transformation provided. Any specialty arrows do their own damage, but will get the +6 to damage if that Magic Weapon option is selected.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Glistam wrote:I also ruled that the arrows did the same damage that was rolled by the weapon, but only the arrows that the transformation provided. Any specialty arrows do their own damage, but will get the +6 to damage if that Magic Weapon option is selected.

So how many arrows did the magic weapon you were dealing with provide with it when transformed into it's usable form?
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

An unlimited number, because it's magic and I wanted to keep things fast and loose with the game instead of being bogged down by inventory details. If I needed to limit it I'd probably say 20 and that they replenish 1 an hour or something. But also other arrows can be put in amongst the magical ones, and they disappear with the transformation back to normal but aren't lost - they re-appear when re-transformed. They don't automatically replenish, though.

This is the character

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Glistam wrote:I also ruled that the arrows did the same damage that was rolled by the weapon, but only the arrows that the transformation provided. Any specialty arrows do their own damage, but will get the +6 to damage if that Magic Weapon option is selected.

Sure, sounds good. Like the build from your next post too. SDC looks a little low, but that fits the concept.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

The most cannonical way to do a magic bow magic weapon (that I can think of) would be to take the "Spits Fire" option for the power, and convert it to arrows rather than a generic energy blob.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

The Artist Formerly wrote:

Sure, sounds good. Like the build from your next post too. SDC looks a little low, but that fits the concept.

It's funny you say that, because this character consistently manages to take big hits and get brought close to death on a regular basis.

fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

Maybe if the weapon is cocked (crossbow) or drawn back (bow) without an arrow, it creates a magical projectile that does the normal damage for that weapon- if a normal arrow or trick arrow is used then it has the normal effects of that arrow (allowing for the use of less-lethal standard arrows as well as high-power magical ones)?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

As I've refined this idea over time, the magic bow when it's not transformed looks like a regular staff with a slight curve. A close examination can spot nearly indiscernible magical runes. As a part of the character's transformation the staff curves more appropriately, the bowstring appears, and the staff itself changes shape to complete the look of a bow. The magic runes glow during this transformation but go back to being nearly indiscernible when the transformation is complete.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Glistam wrote:By the main book, the magic weapon can't be one of those because there's no option for it on the table.

We're actually told "the player can either select a type of weapon or roll on the following table" so you can pick a weapon that isn't on the table if the GM allows you to select it instead of rolling.

It says "the only limitation is that the weapon must be an ancient type of melee weapon" though, so I think that would exclude bows/crossbows since they aren't "melee" type ancient weapons.

Nothing specifically stopping me from opting to make it say a knife, bipennis axe, oncin pick, bull whip, cat-o-nine-tails, nunchuks, or that giant statue weapon from Mystic China, if I wanted, since they're ancient melee, even though they're not on the table.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Glistam wrote:As I've refined this idea over time, the magic bow when it's not transformed looks like a regular staff with a slight curve. A close examination can spot nearly indiscernible magical runes. As a part of the character's transformation the staff curves more appropriately, the bowstring appears, and the staff itself changes shape to complete the look of a bow. The magic runes glow during this transformation but go back to being nearly indiscernible when the transformation is complete.
That sounds pretty awesome.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”