Damage rolls!

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Dakchronos
Wanderer

Damage rolls!

Unread post by Dakchronos »

A bit confused so lets use Super Energy Expulsion as an example.
1d6*10+1d6 per level.
Would level 2 look like 1d6*10+2d6 or 2d6*10+2d6, or some other combination of equations?
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Damage rolls!

Unread post by eliakon »

Like this
At level one: 1d6*10+1d6
At level two: 1d6*10 +2d6
At level ten: 1d6*10+10d6 (or 2d6*10 if the GM allows)
and so on.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Dakchronos
Wanderer

eliakon wrote:Like this
and so on.

So at higher levels, the super blast begins to not mean much compared to the normal blast? Still a decent ability, for a lower level character, the newer abilities sadly outshine this one. Guess I've just been playing to much rifts. lol
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Dakchronos wrote:
eliakon wrote:Like this
and so on.

So at higher levels, the super blast begins to not mean much compared to the normal blast? Still a decent ability, for a lower level character, the newer abilities sadly outshine this one. Guess I've just been playing to much rifts. lol

Well the other way gets god like quickly.
Imagine a level 5 person who could do 5d6x10+5d6 or a level 10 doing 11d6x10! Including the range it would be pretty much a 'okay I shot you, your dead' type power. (the level 5 person is doing ~192 points of damage per shot on average. The tenth level does ~400 points!)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

And don't forget the Super Energy Expulsion also has
1) A really good range for an Expulsion power (600' +20'/level)
2) you can Absorb, Channel, and Fire ANY energy (
3) Comes with an AoE burst power
4) Comes with a Ricochet power
5) And energy reistance...

So the power isn't 'useless' and very little would 'outshine it' Its just not the #1 damage dealer.

Dakchronos
Wanderer

I find the other uses great. I just find something that uses all but one of your actions in a combat round really lacking compared to just using the regular blast in the power. I appreciate the responses folks. Thank You.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Dakchronos wrote:1d6*10+1d6 per level
Would level 2 look like
1d6*10+2d6
2d6*10+2d6

I see both as possible interpretations.

NPC examples I've seen all use the 1st though.

A similar vague phrasing occurs with number 3 'Aura Effect' from SEE, where 1d6+1 per level could be read as meaning 1d6+2 or 2d6+2 at second.

Palladium could probably clear this up through using parenthesis. Word it like:
1d6x10+(1d6 per level)
1d6+(1 per level)

Parenthesis separating 'level' from the initial amount would help to clarify that it is only the added amount to the base which is 'per level'.

Or barring that, even the use of a comma would be useful. Like if we look at Extraordinary Speed on page 222 it says:
"Speed XXX mph (XXXkm), plus XX miles (XXkm) per level of experience!"

A comma is also used in this way for Flight: Wingless, though it is absent for Flight: Winged... and neither get an exclamation mark :( Sonic Speed/Flight don't get exclamation either... maybe high speed is less fantastic when it's a major?

eliakon wrote:And don't forget the Super Energy Expulsion also has
1) A really good range for an Expulsion power (600' +20'/level)
2) you can Absorb, Channel, and Fire ANY energy (
3) Comes with an AoE burst power
4) Comes with a Ricochet power
5) And energy reistance...

So the power isn't 'useless' and very little would 'outshine it' Its just not the #1 damage dealer.

Plus number 6: one of the options you could choose was 'sound', something not available in any of the minor energy expulsion powers, and which allows you to inflict more sonic damage than the 2 other sound powers available as majors.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”