Instant Weapon Question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Instant Weapon Question

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I was looking over this minor power, when suddenly I realized this power can trivially negate bomb threats. The power says that it can store any kind of weapon in an extradimensional storage space in a kind of limbo. However, it also says under duration "The items in limbo do not age". This is good on the one hand--gunpowder and explosives and such will not degrade in it. however, does this mean that time is effectively stopped? What if something like a large bomb was ticking down.

So lets say Dr. Evil puts a 50 pound bomb in a mall surrounded by tied up orphans. the hero arrives on the scene after fighting off some minions, but the timer is ticking down. The weight limit is 50lbs+10 per level of experiance, so could the character simply shift the bomb into their personal limbo, out of time, and then later drop it off in an empty feild to detonate harmlessly?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Instant Weapon Question

Unread post by eliakon »

Just make sure you untie the orphans first. :P
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

I would allow it.
And award the player exp for critical thinking.
(The first time he did it...)
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Sure our Hero can throw the bomb into one of his weapons pockets, he just has to figure out which pocket has an equal weight in weapons and/or ammo he can exchange for the bomb...
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

While I would allow it, and call it very clever ... but I guess it depends on your definition of age.

While I think they intend for time to be stopped ... not aging is something different.

If it told you "You don't age in the dimensional pocket" would you assume that time was stopped for you? would you assume you couldn't count till ten, then yell? You would likely assume that it would be the effects of aging that would be stopped, time itself. Your gun powder wouldn't "go bad" but it shouldn't stop it from igniting if you took some action to ignite it.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:I was looking over this minor power, when suddenly I realized this power can trivially negate bomb threats. The power says that it can store any kind of weapon in an extradimensional storage space in a kind of limbo. However, it also says under duration "The items in limbo do not age". This is good on the one hand--gunpowder and explosives and such will not degrade in it. however, does this mean that time is effectively stopped? What if something like a large bomb was ticking down.

So lets say Dr. Evil puts a 50 pound bomb in a mall surrounded by tied up orphans. the hero arrives on the scene after fighting off some minions, but the timer is ticking down. The weight limit is 50lbs+10 per level of experiance, so could the character simply shift the bomb into their personal limbo, out of time, and then later drop it off in an empty feild to detonate harmlessly?

Yeah, that's a reasonable use of the power. :ok:
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Thanks for the imput, everyone! Glad I wasn't the only one who thought this might work :D

But now, the other side of the coin. What if it DOSN'T freeze the timer? Would it destroy all objects in the dimensional limbo, or just the nearest "Set", or are each sets seperate and nothing would be effected--or would the feedback hurt the hero directly?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Incriptus
Hero

If I had it explode in the pocket, I would not have it damage anything.

The dimensional pocket seems to be an exchange, one thing for another, I don't see the items sitting next to each other.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Each dimensional space is it's own thing, so if the space it's shunt to is empty, then boom, nothing damaged.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Matt
D-Bee
Comment: Let's all have fun our own way and maybe, if we're lucky, sometimes those ways will intersect.

Unread post by Matt »

I think someone already said it up above, but not aging and time stopping are two different things. Not aging simply means the deleterious effects of time are negated: the weapon isn't going to decompose or fall apart over the eons the way everything else does; it's spared the ravages of time--this doesn't mean it's frozen in time.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Matt wrote:I think someone already said it up above, but not aging and time stopping are two different things. Not aging simply means the deleterious effects of time are negated: the weapon isn't going to decompose or fall apart over the eons the way everything else does; it's spared the ravages of time--this doesn't mean it's frozen in time.

But the easiest and simplest explanation is the dimensional pockets are timeless rather than having some more complex physics that somehow let time pass so that for example a bomb could keep counting down and yet prevent the bomb's components from aging.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
Matt wrote:I think someone already said it up above, but not aging and time stopping are two different things. Not aging simply means the deleterious effects of time are negated: the weapon isn't going to decompose or fall apart over the eons the way everything else does; it's spared the ravages of time--this doesn't mean it's frozen in time.

But the easiest and simplest explanation is the dimensional pockets are timeless rather than having some more complex physics that somehow let time pass so that for example a bomb could keep counting down and yet prevent the bomb's components from aging.

Never mind getting into hair splitting questions of "where does ageing begin" and "what is aging"
I mean what about my nuclear weapon? Is the radioactive decay of the fuel aging? What about the radioactive decay of the atoms in my atomic clock?
Instead of making up a brand new physics that has 'aging'(whatever that is) separated from every other entropic function I agree with Nightmask that its simplest to just have it be a stasis. (and yes, I know that we have time holes. And there are reasons that many people call them plot holes)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Since we're talking about Instant Weapon I have another question... how do you use it? As per the Limitations it says, "Like the clothing limbo, the character must switdh one weapon or item of similar weight for the weapon in Limbo, it's just how the limbo power works." But it also notes ".... but if unarmed at the time of need, the character will have to find an item of similar weight and size to echenage for the desired weapon." So how do you 'switch' and load it in the first place? I assume it probably shouldn't matter to load it the first time but I always wondered about that.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Daniel Stoker wrote:Since we're talking about Instant Weapon I have another question... how do you use it? As per the Limitations it says, "Like the clothing limbo, the character must switdh one weapon or item of similar weight for the weapon in Limbo, it's just how the limbo power works." But it also notes ".... but if unarmed at the time of need, the character will have to find an item of similar weight and size to echenage for the desired weapon." So how do you 'switch' and load it in the first place? I assume it probably shouldn't matter to load it the first time but I always wondered about that.

Daniel Stoker

the best way would be to have a set of weighted cubes in your utility belt.

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

That's good for getting the gun out, but how do you put the gun IN the first time when there's nothing there to exchange it with.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Daniel Stoker wrote:That's good for getting the gun out, but how do you put the gun IN the first time when there's nothing there to exchange it with.

Daniel Stoker

I would, personally, assume that you get a 'freebie' load out with each slot.

[houserule] As a GM I would allow an attempt to 'load' an empty slot be a roll (probably roll under ME on 1d20, with a 20 always being something bad, even if your stat is 20+)[/houserule]

Nightmask
Palladin

Daniel Stoker wrote:Since we're talking about Instant Weapon I have another question... how do you use it? As per the Limitations it says, "Like the clothing limbo, the character must switdh one weapon or item of similar weight for the weapon in Limbo, it's just how the limbo power works." But it also notes ".... but if unarmed at the time of need, the character will have to find an item of similar weight and size to echenage for the desired weapon." So how do you 'switch' and load it in the first place? I assume it probably shouldn't matter to load it the first time but I always wondered about that.

Daniel Stoker

I really wouldn't bother with the limitation myself, it doesn't seem to serve any purpose but to unnecessarily limit an already minor power. You should be able to put things in and remove them without having to resort to any sort of swapping.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Your right the exchange limit is wrong,I call it storage limbo,it,s sizes is up to the player,who put or call any non-living object from at it.
that what I use for my character.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Seems legit. :bandit:
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Incriptus
Hero

Or if you want to have some real whacky fun ... decide there was something in the dimensional pocket before the player had the power ... perhaps the last thing someone else with the power placed in their before they died?
Nekira Sudacne
Monk

Incriptus wrote:Or if you want to have some real whacky fun ... decide there was something in the dimensional pocket before the player had the power ... perhaps the last thing someone else with the power placed in their before they died?

That'd make a lot of sense for a mystically bestowed/object character. the dimensional storage passes between holders.

Nightmask
Palladin

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Incriptus wrote:Or if you want to have some real whacky fun ... decide there was something in the dimensional pocket before the player had the power ... perhaps the last thing someone else with the power placed in their before they died?

That'd make a lot of sense for a mystically bestowed/object character. the dimensional storage passes between holders.

Something that could range from epic to funny to horrific depending on the GM (too bad that stored item was a smallpox-infected blanket that almost no one remaining still has inoculations against).

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”