I.Q. Bonus and Special Skills

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

I.Q. Bonus and Special Skills

Unread post by Razorwing »

Recently I came across an interesting situation... namely I was wondering if the bonus a character gets for having a high I.Q. (16+) is also added to the special skills some characters get in addition to their Scholastic and Secondary Skills. Special Skills such as those gained from the Hardware category, the magical lore skills for Mystic Study, not to mention many of the skills from the Special Training category.

Personally I am in favor for this for a number of reasons.

1) The description under I.Q. (pg 15 HU:R2E) states that characters with 16+ receives a one-time bonus to ALL skill percentages (including Secondary Skills). These special skills are still skills and as such should benefit from a high intelligence. I don't buy the argument that the high initial starting percentage a lot of these skills have is a reflection of their high intelligence because even a character with the minimum needed I.Q. (usually 9) would have the skill at that level.

2) Compared to more power-house characters, applying this bonus doesn't really unbalance such characters... it even helps close the gap between them and more powerful characters (though only by a little bit to be honest).

3) Most of these categories had to give up an entire Skill program to gain these skills... or had special training from the get go. In other words, these special skills came at the cost of a number of regular skills they would otherwise have had... skills that would have received the I.Q. bonus.

4) Many of these specialized skills are allowed to go above 100% due to the fact that penalties are likely to be added to the roll, bringing the percentage back down. This is more common in the Hardware category, but other areas also present possible penalties to some of their special skills.

So... the question remains... would you allow a character with a high I.Q. to add the bonus to any special skills they may have due to their Power Category?

Oh... and sorry if this topic was already discussed but I couldn't find a thread dealing with this... my search-fu is weak.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: I.Q. Bonus and Special Skills

Unread post by Glistam »

I allow it.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Unless there is something in the skill description that says it does NOT benefit from IQ, then the blanket statement that IQ adds to all skills applies to all abilities added to a character defined as a 'skill' (not all %s but all skills). Just because a skill is added from a source other than the regular education portion of character creation does not make it any less of a skill.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Snake Eyes
Hero
Comment: Living in Florida, soon to be Dinosaur Swamp

Unread post by Snake Eyes »

I allow it, plus only the special skills are allowed to be above 100%
The Dragon Has Spoken
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

That or cooks from PRPG.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”