looking for a power

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

quertas
D-Bee

looking for a power

Unread post by quertas »

im looking for a power that allows one to build/fix/etc according to the skills. Such as taking a half destroyed power armor and making it new again. sorta like the reconstruction power in pu1 i think. i have played with the reconstruction power by taking it twice so the duration is permanent. I have also played games where i could transform materials into other materials; basically being able to fix something or build something without tools and by just focusing or using a power.

thanks
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: looking for a power

Unread post by Glistam »

Reconstruction combined with Power Touch? Manipulate Metal could work for you too.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Dont forget
Transmutation
"Grant Powers" in the 4th paragraph mentions that Bionic heroes can be granted powers... says nothing about Robots cant... give a Robot "Healing Factor".
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

not quite what im looking for but thanks.. a robot can have healing factor..just turn it into a mechanical..such as nanobots being the healing factor
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Power Touch and Manipulate Metal let you repair things... how are they not what you are looking for?

quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

i just skimmed through them.. i look over them again, but i thought i saw that they werent permanent
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

and with those powers i could build things as well ?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Power Touch, #2 says right at the end "Duration: Permanent."
Metal Manipulation, #5 clearly states "Duration: Instant results."

quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

ur right and thanks
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

how bout a magical solution (or psychic) 5ppe/10lbs of material manipulated and something simliar for ISP. An ability to manipulate material (possibility molicules) without having to have tools on hand. Concentration to shape material, fix mdc or sdc. i still prefer the reconstruction power just made permanent. :)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Reconstruction is permanent as long as you stay within range.

quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

ya i know.. i want to be able tobe a mechanic/engineer without the range penalty so i can be a legit businessman.. sumthing like that
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

If your character has the proper Engineering skills he doesn't need a power... are you trying to have a power give you those skills? Extroadinary I.Q. may be the power you seek then, as (IIRC) it gives bonus skills, bonuses to skills, and lets some skills increase past 98%. It wouldn't be too difficult to use this power to create a mutant inventor.

quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

nope i got the skills to start with, like i want to be able to take scrap and turn it into something usable without having to use tools.. i know i said that already :) as well so it doesnt take so much time to build things.. i guess i want to be able to create something in less time than it normally would take
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

maybe with that metal maniulation and power touch if i were only taking a few of the abilities listed.. would they still be considered major powers
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

as well.. the stuff in rifts.. are they metal or space age plastic?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

quertas wrote:nope i got the skills to start with, like i want to be able to take scrap and turn it into something usable without having to use tools.. i know i said that already :) as well so it doesnt take so much time to build things.. i guess i want to be able to create something in less time than it normally would take

The minor power "Speed Tasking" will let you use those skills faster. Taking scrap and turning it into something useful without tools will be a challenge with the powers currently available. Animate Object sould let you manipulate objects to assemble themselves, letting you get away without using any tools. Junkyard is an interesting power that may also have applications that apply to your goals as well.

quertas wrote:maybe with that metal maniulation and power touch if i were only taking a few of the abilities listed.. would they still be considered major powers

You're solidly in the realm of house rules there. Different G.M.'s may rule differently. Maybe enough powers are removed that they both become, effectively, minor powers? Or maybe the G.M. rules they would count now as one major power, rather than two. Or perhaps even the G.M. wouldn't allow it, but may offer another power in consideration of the fact that you'd be shortchanging two major powers by not taking all their abilities.

quertas wrote:as well.. the stuff in rifts.. are they metal or space age plastic?

What "stuff?" Body armor is typically ceramic, plastic, metal, M.D.C. skin or bones/shells, and such. Each armor says what it is. Also, look at the Conversion Book 1 listing for the Magentism power - in that updated description they discuss a little more what is metal and what is new-age non-metallic materials.

quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

thanks i appreciate ur info..speed tasking is nice. alot to think about... i dunno what else to say right now. guess i just wanted it to be fast.. like reconstruction having being able to build something in 10 min instead of several days or hours..
so speed tasking is appropriate
quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

ok tahts it.. speed building is what im looking for :)
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I think, as a G.M., I could be convinced to allow the repair/construction of Reconstruction to be permanent if the Power Touch power to repair S.D.C. objects was used on the device. I would rule that all S.D.C. of the (seemingly normal) device made through Reconstruction has to be "repaired" by Power Touch, though, and complex devices may require the expenditure of even more PTP - perhaps an extra 100 points.

And if only that aspect of the Power Touch power were selected (ability #2, "Restore by Touch," and a special version of ability #5), I could see cutting the PTP received in half and allow it as a minor power. PTP might regen slower, too, rather than refill automatically at daybreak.

(An idea that just occurred to me would be to link that with Catastrophic System Failure - for every device that a character "breaks" they could gain the ability to make one device made/repaired by Restoration permanent.)

Now the character could make limited use devices that will break when he's not around, but if he wants to make something last then he has the ability to expend some extra energy to make that possible.

quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

indeed and thanks
any other way of speeding up a task liek speed tasking?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

quertas wrote:indeed and thanks
any other way of speeding up a task liek speed tasking?

Multitasking would let you do two things at once - depending on the task that might make it go faster. Extraordinary Speed, Extraordinary P.P., and/or Sonic Speed could be allowed to let a character build/repair things faster. By that token, Slow Motion Control and/or Stretch Time could also be useful in this regard. Nothing else comes to mind right now.

quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

awsome the mind juices are flowing once again.. i will use the super speed... i never thought of using that power as is. thank you so much.. speedy building genius thast what i alwasy wanted...
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Glistam wrote:Reconstruction is permanent as long as you stay within range.

That's not permanent, that's about as temporary as it gets. It's impossible for someone to remain within that range to keep something they've repaired functional unless it's like a watch or gun that they can keep next to them at all times so it's a given that the object 'fixed' by the misnamed Reconstruction power will degrade.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Nightmask wrote:

That's not permanent, that's about as temporary as it gets. It's impossible for someone to remain within that range to keep something they've repaired functional unless it's like a watch or gun that they can keep next to them at all times so it's a given that the object 'fixed' by the misnamed Reconstruction power will degrade.

So it is possible if it's a watch or gun. That's good to know. And even once you walk away out of range, it still takes 2D6 hours for it to break down, so it's not like it immediately breaks.

Nightmask
Palladin

Glistam wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

So it is possible if it's a watch or gun. That's good to know. And even once you walk away out of range, it still takes 2D6 hours for it to break down, so it's not like it immediately breaks.

But the item still isn't permanently repaired, it's just being held together by the power making it work (kind of like how in some super-hero settings mad scientist technology is nonsense and is really just a focus for the scientist's super-power to subconsciously manifest in devices that defy physics), and once you get outside that range the item's decay is irreversible and after I think 3 repairs the item's totally screwed and almost instantly decays into unrepairable scrap.

Myself I consider the power to be what it really should be, the ability to permanently repair something by making anything work through his fabulous super-powered repair skills. it's only fair when you look at all the other massively powerful and useful powers around that someone who wants an ability like that to at least get a power that works rather than fakes it, complete with a delusion that you're doing proper repairs and blame everyone else for the items breaking down.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

There is no limit to the number of times you can re-fix a broken item using Reconstruction - I don't know where that "three times" limit came from. If you want to make super-science devices to make yourself rich and famous then Reconstruction is not the power for you. You'd be better served with Extraordinary I.Q. (with the focus on the appropriate inventing skills), Speed Tasking and Multitasking if that's what you're looking for.

Nightmask
Palladin

Glistam wrote:There is no limit to the number of times you can re-fix a broken item using Reconstruction - I don't know where that "three times" limit came from. If you want to make super-science devices to make yourself rich and famous then Reconstruction is not the power for you. You'd be better served with Extraordinary I.Q. (with the focus on the appropriate inventing skills), Speed Tasking and Multitasking if that's what you're looking for.

Unless they've changed something about the power from my copy a reconstructed object crumbles into complete unrepairable rubble after something like three or five times being repaired and leaving the range of your power. As the power states the item is completely dependent on the power at that point to remain intact and functional.

In regards to building super-devices you may not have noticed that many high-tech creators in comics both heroes and villains their inventive abilities are explicitly a super-power and instinctive rather than a result of education and training (like Forge or Tweedledum) but such powers are missing from Heroes Unlimited where you can only be an inventive genius through education and training and the power closest to that really isn't as it's a power that basically makes something work because 'I BELIEVE I fixed it' rather than actually fixing it.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:There is no limit to the number of times you can re-fix a broken item using Reconstruction - I don't know where that "three times" limit came from. If you want to make super-science devices to make yourself rich and famous then Reconstruction is not the power for you. You'd be better served with Extraordinary I.Q. (with the focus on the appropriate inventing skills), Speed Tasking and Multitasking if that's what you're looking for.

Unless they've changed something about the power from my copy a reconstructed object crumbles into complete unrepairable rubble after something like three or five times being repaired and leaving the range of your power. As the power states the item is completely dependent on the power at that point to remain intact and functional.

My copies of Powers Unlimited 1 shows no such limitation. I'm looking at the first printing and the third printing.

Nightmask wrote:In regards to building super-devices you may not have noticed that many high-tech creators in comics both heroes and villains their inventive abilities are explicitly a super-power and instinctive rather than a result of education and training (like Forge or Tweedledum) but such powers are missing from Heroes Unlimited where you can only be an inventive genius through education and training and the power closest to that really isn't as it's a power that basically makes something work because 'I BELIEVE I fixed it' rather than actually fixing it.

I don't know who Tweedledum is but I just looked up Forge on Wikipedia and I think his powers are totally doable with what's available in Heroes Unlimited and the Powers Unlimited books - I don't see the issue.

quertas
D-Bee

Unread post by quertas »

well super-speed building isnot allwoed ina game im in.. but ona different char i have it and will use as so.. still like speed tasking.. .. hmm
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Chronic_GreenHorn wrote:I aswell am looking for a power i dont know if it is held somewhere within the black vault and my search has been terrible but if someone could help me find it i would be thankful its like object fusion but instead of objects im looking for the animal fusion power thank you
:D

Is "Absorb Bio-Mass" from page 52 of Powers Unlimited 1, combined with "Copy Animal Attributes" from page 67 of Powers Unlimited 1 what you seek? I really don't know the intention of the two power names you mentioned. Perhaps the "Gesalt" power category from Powers Unlimited 2 would be what you want?

EDIT: Oh, I see the power you're talking about now, from the Black Vault Wiki. The closest I could find in my quick search was Animal Alteration. Doesn't seem like what you're looking for, though.

Nightmask
Palladin

Glistam wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

My copies of Powers Unlimited 1 shows no such limitation. I'm looking at the first printing and the third printing.

My bad, finding my own copy I was clearly remembering the more stringent penalties the mutant animal psionic version that the super-power version is based off of has. That version after several repairs something becomes so dependent upon the power it will literally disintegrate into a pile of useless rubble after you leave its presence the last time.

Glistam wrote:
Nightmask wrote:In regards to building super-devices you may not have noticed that many high-tech creators in comics both heroes and villains their inventive abilities are explicitly a super-power and instinctive rather than a result of education and training (like Forge or Tweedledum) but such powers are missing from Heroes Unlimited where you can only be an inventive genius through education and training and the power closest to that really isn't as it's a power that basically makes something work because 'I BELIEVE I fixed it' rather than actually fixing it.

I don't know who Tweedledum is but I just looked up Forge on Wikipedia and I think his powers are totally doable with what's available in Heroes Unlimited and the Powers Unlimited books - I don't see the issue.

Not seeing how, since Forge is a mutant intuitive genius and doesn't really know how he created something without having to reverse-engineer what he actually built. You really can't do Forge or someone like him using the powers and set-up for Heroes Unlimited at least not using just the canon powers.

Also seems I'm having several memory faults as I meant Tweedledope, a member of the Crazy Gang. An IQ like 3, can't even manage classic Hulk Hulk-speak but can create fantastically powerful devices from scrap (created a sentient AI in a head-shape that could fly around and consume metal and reshape it to create vehicles and even dimensional portals as well as a device to switch minds to name a few). Something of an extreme example but clearly an archetype that you can't really recreate in Heroes unlimited, someone whose powers do the work and can't understand advanced technology otherwise.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I still feel the powers that exist currently in cannon suffice for such characters, but I agree you won't be able to recreate them perfectly. You can justify the "breakdown" that occurs to Reconstruction devices after 2D6 hours in any number of ways, not the least of which being that the device is so futuristic that the T.E. of this era destroys it once it's too far away from its creator. Skill bonuses provided by powers also make a character more skilled than they should otherwise be, and without those powers would have a reduced understanding of the skill.

It all seems to work out to me but I can agree to disagree here. After all, you are right in that Forge or Tweedledope cannot be recreated exactly by using the cannon Heroes Unlimited rules. However, I do still believe the archetype they're based on is possible.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

NMI wrote:Dont forget
Transmutation
"Grant Powers" in the 4th paragraph mentions that Bionic heroes can be granted powers... says nothing about Robots cant... give a Robot "Healing Factor".

This was kind of glossed over earlier but looking at it I'm kind of liking the idea of a character who "repairs" machines by giving them an automatic healing ability and just letting the healing power do its job.

Nightmask
Palladin

Glistam wrote:I still feel the powers that exist currently in cannon suffice for such characters, but I agree you won't be able to recreate them perfectly. You can justify the "breakdown" that occurs to Reconstruction devices after 2D6 hours in any number of ways, not the least of which being that the device is so futuristic that the T.E. of this era destroys it once it's too far away from its creator. Skill bonuses provided by powers also make a character more skilled than they should otherwise be, and without those powers would have a reduced understanding of the skill.

It all seems to work out to me but I can agree to disagree here. After all, you are right in that Forge or Tweedledope cannot be recreated exactly by using the cannon Heroes Unlimited rules. However, I do still believe the archetype they're based on is possible.

Still not seeing how you think that actually makes sense, inventive genius is supposed to be superior to non-powered genius/education not inferior and again the power of Reconstruction you're not really repairing anything your power is making the device work and the devices quickly fails once you're no longer in range for your power to keep making your non-repairs able to fake the work a problem someone like a Hardware: Analytical doesn't have because what he repairs is actually workable. Also while you may be building a device considered futuristic it's not actually from the future and Temporal Energy issues don't apply.

Really, Reconstruction simply doesn't qualify as a 'super building genius' power, it's a 'I tossed together some stuff to do something but it's really just a crutch I focus my power through to make it work' power. The character would have to be able to build stuff due to the power that's at least as good and as permanent as something built by someone who's a Hardware category or regular educated sort to qualify. Since it's guaranteed to fail as soon as they aren't around for their power to keep it running they clearly aren't even as good as someone who graduated a trade school to fix cars with the minimum IQ to attend.

Again, what your powers let you build should be at least as good as someone with formal training and education to build the items in question, if not then you aren't actually demonstrating the 'super-powered genius' category of character you're the super-powered version of the Psi-Mechanic whose devices aren't actually functional and instead are basically psionically imprinted with a power with the device being a physical crutch. As it is the game currently only allows people with a formal or hands-on education to actually construct or repair devices whether it be a bicycle or an orbital death ray, you have to house rule things (like having a Hardware: Weapons Major Super Power) to cover a super whose super-power is a super-genius like a Hardware character.

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

the spell Mend the Broken'd work too. One might argue that mechanolink and telemechanics will both increase the rate of repair.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

A character with the super power of "Extraordinary I.Q." as presented in Powers Unlimited 3 would meet your criteria for an inventive genius. The power boosts their I.Q., giving them greater intelligence and understanding in general (reflected in RP and in a skill bonus to all skills). The power also allows them to select two skills that get a +20% bonus, and will be able to increase above 98% (similar to the Hardware category special skills).

The character could pick the appropriate engineering skill and begin inventing using the rules from the Hardware category (which are applicable to all characters), and have similar success when compared to those from the Hardware category. However, should the Extraordinary I.Q. power be negated or lost, the character would revert to their pre-power I.Q., their two skills would lose the +20% bonus and those skills would now be capped at 98%. If they only gained those skills because of this power, they would lose the skills altogether! If you want the character to invent things and then when done have to reverse-engineer it in order to understand it, that's just an R.P. quirk that the G.M. and player would have to implement. It'd be easy to look at the character's skill with the power, and without, and say if the skill roll was in the area where they only succeed because of the power then they don't actually understand it, even though it works as intended.

Adding speed tasking to this character would let them use their skill faster than a normal person, and adding multitasking would let them contemplate the wisdom of the Buddha or hang upside down (or generally do something totally unrelated) while inventing.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”