Riathanor vs Nightlords

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Riathanor vs Nightlords

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Who wins?

The set up. A group of magic users (take your pick) summon some Riathanor to the nightlands. The mages are quickly eliminated and there are enough Riathnor to hand out some hurt. They quietly move towards a near by night land city, and start picking off dopplegangers to either feed on or add to their numbers. Remembering that Riathanor are smart, stealthy and cunning, when they first move openly against the nightlords proper, it will be with their full might.

Round One, ready, FIGHT!
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
jaymz
Palladin
Comment: Yeah yeah yeah just give me my damn XP already :)

Re: Riathanor vs Nightlords

Unread post by jaymz »

Honestly? I think in equal numbers the Raithenors are the only ones capable of an even up fight. They are supernatural beings with living armour and "tech" thus the whole 1/2 damage thing isn't applicable. They have SNPS iirc and use magic. They are by and large an equal to most nightlord minions. I call it 50/50 dependent full yon just how many Raithenors are in fact involved.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
The Artist Formerly
Champion

jaymz wrote:Honestly? I think in equal numbers the Raithenors are the only ones capable of an even up fight. They are supernatural beings with living armour and "tech" thus the whole 1/2 damage thing isn't applicable. They have SNPS iirc and use magic. They are by and large an equal to most nightlord minions. I call it 50/50 dependent full yon just how many Raithenors are in fact involved.

So work it out for me. How would you, as the Riathanor Dagotte, make the Nightlords **** their armored pantaloons?

Or if you like the Nightlords, how would you stop and eliminate the Riathanor threat?
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Its going to take a metric plot ton of Riathanor to make the Nightlords even NOTICE.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

eliakon wrote:Its going to take a metric plot ton of Riathanor to make the Nightlords even NOTICE.

Thus why i said if they had equal numbers. They;d need that to have straight up even odds chance of winning.
I am very opinionated. Yes I rub people the wrong way but at the end of the day I just enjoy good hard discussion and will gladly walk away agreeing to not agree :D

Email - jlaflamme7521@hotmail.com, Facebook - Jaymz LaFlamme, Robotech.com - Icerzone

\m/
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

jaymz wrote:
eliakon wrote:Its going to take a metric plot ton of Riathanor to make the Nightlords even NOTICE.

Thus why i said if they had equal numbers. They;d need that to have straight up even odds chance of winning.

Equal to what though. If you have just as many Riathanor as Nightlords, the Riathonor are going to get curbstomped. If you have as many as the Nightlords MINIONS....well that's pretty much a metric plot ton of forces :)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
jaymz
Palladin

Unread post by jaymz »

I meant as in equal numbers total. Nightlords are not to far of the Demon Lord level of power. The Raiths have no equivalent. So an equal number of Raiths (and the various types) in comparison to the Nightlords forces of Hounds, etc.

\m/
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Nothing beats Nightlord Super-TK.

Better battle worth talking about is 100 Riathenor v. 100 Night Princes.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

jaymz wrote:I meant as in equal numbers total. Nightlords are not to far of the Demon Lord level of power. The Raiths have no equivalent. So an equal number of Raiths (and the various types) in comparison to the Nightlords forces of Hounds, etc.

Well then I guess a few million Raithanor would be a threat to a few score Nightlords...But that's into the realm of Plot Tons of anything, and begs the question of where they all CAME from. Another important question is "can a Rianthor convert a supernatural creature" (Like a doppelganger, or hound)

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Too Close to call. ;)
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

eliakon wrote:
jaymz wrote:I meant as in equal numbers total. Nightlords are not to far of the Demon Lord level of power. The Raiths have no equivalent. So an equal number of Raiths (and the various types) in comparison to the Nightlords forces of Hounds, etc.

Well then I guess a few million Raithanor would be a threat to a few score Nightlords...But that's into the realm of Plot Tons of anything, and begs the question of where they all CAME from. Another important question is "can a Rianthor convert a supernatural creature" (Like a doppelganger, or hound)

Hounds could be taken, but it would exceedingly tough, and seems more likely to make one of the two variants Rianthenor, a Hertshi or a Kilm'aktro. Technically the text says they can't take such creatures at all, but only because it's really tough. It can be done, if you could beat them into submission, and hold them down for the duration of the bonding process (Seventy two hours). Trickey work.

Now a dopplerganger, they are a different story. While different from humans, it's not enough to make trouble for the Riathenor.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

eliakon wrote:

Hounds could be taken, but it would exceedingly tough, and seems more likely to make one of the two variants Rianthenor, a Hertshi or a Kilm'aktro. Technically the text says they can't take such creatures at all, but only because it's really tough. It can be done, if you could beat them into submission, and hold them down for the duration of the bonding process (Seventy two hours). Trickey work. There is easier prey out there.

Now a dopplerganger, they are a different story. While different from humans, it's not enough to make trouble for the Riathenor.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

The Artist Formerly wrote:
eliakon wrote:

Hounds could be taken, but it would exceedingly tough, and seems more likely to make one of the two variants Rianthenor, a Hertshi or a Kilm'aktro. Technically the text says they can't take such creatures at all, but only because it's really tough. It can be done, if you could beat them into submission, and hold them down for the duration of the bonding process (Seventy two hours). Trickey work. There is easier prey out there.

The real question is, would the process awaken the doppelganger?
And would that matter?
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:
eliakon wrote:

The real question is, would the process awaken the doppelganger?
And would that matter?

Considering the Riathenor basically absorbs the host as material to reconfigure into a new Riathenor warrior, i very much doubt it in either case.

And i must agree with eliakon ot would take ungodly lots of plot help for a Riathenor infestation to reach the stage of millions before being found out, unless it involved an impressive but much smaller number using some weird sort of ritual or secret trick to open the way to a planet-marauding army like the one that destroyed the world of Assin and 'enslaved' the Lassinike race in Aliens Unlimited.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Someone tell me how many Riathenor you think it would take to defeat a single Nightlord, I want to show you what they can do with their TK.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SolCannibal
Champion

Tor wrote:Someone tell me how many Riathenor you think it would take to defeat a single Nightlord, I want to show you what they can do with their TK.

That's a pretty good question actually, but overall my impression is that hardly anyone, be the Riathenor or any other group of supernatural raiders for that matter, could put a serious dent on the Nightlords beyond an individual level without the resources to bring a millions to tens of millions strong world-slaying monster army to the fray. Same might be said about most infernal or divine realms to some level.

The Nightlords might not be the most powerful infernal forces in the Megaverse but from what we can see in Nightbane their strong suit seems to be exactly keeping a lid on their territory and watching their frontiers, making the proposed scenario a challenging one to make happen.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

I'm not even considering minions, I'm talking a naked Foulseed/Ashtart/Magog here.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

It's an intriguing scenario, but if I were to contemplate this scenario the Riathenor would lose.

1. A pair of Riathenor can only create one offspring per year. The offspring, once they take over a host, must wait 50 years before they can mate as well. So only the initial Riathenor can increase the colony's numbers. This will keep their growth rate very slow and it will take this limited group way too long to build up the numbers necessary to challenge a Nightlord.

2. Dopplegangers have low P.P.E., Supernatural Strength, and enhanced healing. Any one of those three make them a bad choice for a host - all three combined make them not worth the trouble. The Hounds and Hunters are even less usable since they are basically animated metal golems with supernatural/magical attributes. The Riathenor would need to rely on human slaves, and after a while the constant disappearance of slaves would become noticed and investigated.

3. The Nightlords don't suffer Vampires in their domain lightly, and to them the Riathenor (once discovered) would be nothing more than another type of Vampire. While the Riathenor are good at hiding, they could never build up enough force to threaten a Nightlord for the same reason that Vampires can't build up enough of a force to become a true threat.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
SolCannibal
Champion

Glistam wrote:It's an intriguing scenario, but if I were to contemplate this scenario the Riathenor would lose.

1. A pair of Riathenor can only create one offspring per year. The offspring, once they take over a host, must wait 50 years before they can mate as well. So only the initial Riathenor can increase the colony's numbers. This will keep their growth rate very slow and it will take this limited group way too long to build up the numbers necessary to challenge a Nightlord.

2. Dopplegangers have low P.P.E., Supernatural Strength, and enhanced healing. Any one of those three make them a bad choice for a host - all three combined make them not worth the trouble. The Hounds and Hunters are even less usable since they are basically animated metal golems with supernatural/magical attributes. The Riathenor would need to rely on human slaves, and after a while the constant disappearance of slaves would become noticed and investigated.

3. The Nightlords don't suffer Vampires in their domain lightly, and to them the Riathenor (once discovered) would be nothing more than another type of Vampire. While the Riathenor are good at hiding, they could never build up enough force to threaten a Nightlord for the same reason that Vampires can't build up enough of a force to become a true threat.

What reinforces my point that any Riathenor group would have to count on opening a major rift for an invasion force to threaten the Nightlords - and keeping outsiders out of their neghborhood is exactly one of those things the Nightlords treat as very serious business indeed.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

SolCannibal wrote:
Glistam wrote:It's an intriguing scenario, but if I were to contemplate this scenario the Riathenor would lose.

What reinforces my point that any Riathenor group would have to count on opening a major rift for an invasion force to threaten the Nightlords - and keeping outsiders out of their neghborhood is exactly one of those things the Nightlords treat as very serious business indeed.

And we all know how well the LAST dimensional invasion of the Nightlands went right? (Hint the Nightlords collapsed the invaders dimension)

Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Yep, and it wasn't just some wimpy pocket dimension, it was the equivalent of Hades or Dyval. Considering the Nightlords aren't super-good at magic I think it's just that they have raw numbers on their side, good ritual co-ordination, plus I'm thinking the Dark has something to do with the dimension-collapsing ability.

Only Algor can save us!

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”