Mystic Study (Wizard) & Psionics

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

knightgoblin
Wanderer

Mystic Study (Wizard) & Psionics

Unread post by knightgoblin »

Question: If a Mystic Study had psionic powers, would that make him/her a Mega-Hero? Would the player have to use the Mega-Hero experience table for leveling?

I’m thinking of making a PC this way, but I am unsure if this would make the character a Mega-Hero.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Re: Mystic Study (Wizard) & Psionics

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Two classes= mega character. T
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

knightgoblin wrote:Question: If a Mystic Study had psionic powers, would that make him/her a Mega-Hero? Would the player have to use the Mega-Hero experience table for leveling?

I’m thinking of making a PC this way, but I am unsure if this would make the character a Mega-Hero.

There is no provision in the game for Mystic Study characters to have psionic powers, so it's up to your GM to decide how to handle it.

I don't think the Mega-Hero route is appropriate unless you're talking about being both a full-powered Master psionic and a full-powered wizard at the same time. For Major psionics, I think deducting one skill program and reducing skill bonuses by 5%-10% is sufficient cost, and Minor psionics should have minimal cost (say a couple of secondary skills), if any.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

The Artist Formerly wrote:Two classes= mega character. T

What Taffy said.
For here and just here. Offer not valid in some states. Offer may be revoked if the Moon is in the 3rd house of Aquarius and is in fact not made of green cheese.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Mega Hero doesn't even go with Mystic Study. There are magic users in Rifts and PF with psionics all the time and not considered Mega Heros or have any other special rules assigned to them.

Just do what Tinker Dragoon said and don't worry about the Mega Hero rules.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Daniel Stoker wrote:

What Taffy said.
For here and just here. Offer not valid in some states. Offer may be revoked if the Moon is in the 3rd house of Aquarius and is in fact not made of green cheese.

Daniel Stoker

There are no classes in HU.
knightgoblin wrote:Question: If a Mystic Study had psionic powers, would that make him/her a Mega-Hero? Would the player have to use the Mega-Hero experience table for leveling?

The only power cat that it is possible for a char to have both magic and psionics is the Immortals (PU2) power cat.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The only power cat that it is possible for a char to have both magic and psionics is the Immortals (PU2) power cat.

You could get magic spellcasting as a Mystic Bestowed type who gets various psionic abilities -- Detect Psionics, Bio-Manipulation, Hypnotic Suggestion, et cetera -- through Gem Powers.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Regularguy wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The only power cat that it is possible for a char to have both magic and psionics is the Immortals (PU2) power cat.

You could get magic spell casting as a Mystic Bestowed type who gets various psionic abilities -- Detect Psionics, Bio-Manipulation, Hypnotic Suggestion, et cetera -- through Gem Powers.

Mystically bestowed are Granted powers chars, not learned abilities mage characters.

So there are two ways to have magic and psi. SFW, my point still stands, there is no way to be a Mystic Study and have Psi powers within the published canon text.

For text written by KS that covers multiple power cats, look at Rifter 9.5, Q&A, page 22 2nd column top. He even writes in his munchkin persona for a opposing opinion.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:So there are two ways to have magic and psi. SFW, my point still stands, there is no way to be a Mystic Study and have Psi powers within the published canon text.

Hey, no reason for us not to be friendly; I mean, if you and I ever wind up playing true-blue superhero teammates in an HU game together, and you're the Mystic Study character who casts spells, and I'm the Enchanted Object character who fires up Psi powers, I'd totally loan you my ring every day so we can both have Psi powers.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Daniel Stoker wrote:

What Taffy said.

Daniel Stoker

:eek: :mrgreen: :D

A post with will live in infamy.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Lukterran wrote:Mega Hero doesn't even go with Mystic Study. There are magic users in Rifts and PF with psionics all the time and not considered Mega Heros or have any other special rules assigned to them.

Just do what Tinker Dragoon said and don't worry about the Mega Hero rules.

In both Rifts and PF though, those mixed classes aren't as good as someone who was dedicated to one or the other. Bill Coffin gave us the mixed rule in Gramercy Island to streamline play. Then he quit Palladium Books. Two classes, two sets of powers, eat the massive X.P. Penility. Just that simple.

If the GM or PC have a class from another book, use that via the converstion book.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:

What Taffy said.

Daniel Stoker

There are no classes in HU.

The only power cat that it is possible for a char to have both magic and psionics is the Immortals (PU2) power cat.

Hero cat, same thing.

Look guys after a while of play all of our characters under go some transitions that might mix up our defined power set. For example, say Daniel was playing a mutant character in a game I'm running. And during a running fight to save the world, his character makes a heroic sacrifice to save the world. Hard game rules, he died. Took too many hit points of damage, blew past negative PE limit kind of dead. But as the GM, I dug his character, so I Deus exmachina him. Also killing Daniel's mutant might be a hate crime. He wakes up in a government hospital bed, they stitched him back together, after collecting his body parts with a squeegee. But he's got some cybernetic or Bionic upgrades. Lightwieght stuff. Less then the four/one limb rule.

In this case, he is as he was, a mutant class. Just with a bit of added character feature.

But say my Analitical genius is called in one day by SECTOR to look over some Techno-wizard hardware capture from a Brotherhood of Armagedon storehouse they raided. I start looking into it, and eventually start pursuing magic in equal parts with my hardware. I'm part wizard, and part Analitical genius.

That's two classes, and I need the Mega category XP table and a lot of book work to balance out game and my build. There in is the reason for the higher table use.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

If he simply has psionic powers but his pursuit is Mystic Studies it shouldn't be costing him anything, it's not like he's advancing as a psionic and a mage he's simply a mage that has some psionic powers (which contrary to some aren't a 'got to train to have them' kind of thing).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

While classes and power cats & ed rolls are similar they are not the same thing.

Other things that are similar but not the same: Dogs&Wolves, Men&Women, Toyota&Ford, Commercial Media & Public Radio.

Where classes are a fixed template with power/abilities and skills given for you, power cats are what powers the char has, having the char's skills separate from what powers.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Nightmask wrote:If he simply has psionic powers but his pursuit is Mystic Studies it shouldn't be costing him anything, it's not like he's advancing as a psionic and a mage he's simply a mage that has some psionic powers (which contrary to some aren't a 'got to train to have them' kind of thing).

What he has is extra assets in his character build, which palladium generally reflects with a higher XP cost. If we're talking about a few minor powers, no big deal. If we're talking about both a full blown mage and a full blown psionic, then we're talking about a mega-class. And remember in Rifts, if you get six or eight minor psionics, you have to give up some percentage points from your starting skill package to represent your "training" efforts.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:While classes and power cats & ed rolls are similar they are not the same thing.

Other things that are similar but not the same: Dogs&Wolves, Men&Women, Toyota&Ford, Commercial Media & Public Radio.

Where classes are a fixed template with power/abilities and skills given for you, power cats are what powers the char has, having the char's skills separate from what powers.

You're splitting hairs. What are power cats in Heroes are OCCs/RCCs in most other games. There is little functional difference. The roll for education level you reference is about the feel of a superheroes game as opposed to a fantasy setting or super spy setting.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Artist Formerly wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:While classes and power cats & ed rolls are similar they are not the same thing.

You're splitting hairs. What are power cats in Heroes are OCCs/RCCs in most other games. There is little functional difference. The roll for education level you reference is about the feel of a superheroes game as opposed to a fantasy setting or super spy setting.

It might seam to you that I'm "splitting hairs" but there is enouph differance between the class templates and power cats to reffer to them seperately.

I have no problem with classes per say, it is the words used that matter. Because of the IDEAS they convey are what matter.

If I do have a problem with anything, it is the infiltration of Rifts into the other settings because people are just Lazy.
the proverb about the Camel and Tent.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

Regularguy wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:So there are two ways to have magic and psi. SFW, my point still stands, there is no way to be a Mystic Study and have Psi powers within the published canon text.

Hey, no reason for us not to be friendly; I mean, if you and I ever wind up playing true-blue superhero teammates in an HU game together, and you're the Mystic Study character who casts spells, and I'm the Enchanted Object character who fires up Psi powers, I'd totally loan you my ring every day so we can both have Psi powers.

I like the way you think! Perfect example how a normal character could have both. Perhaps he got the ring off a fallen villian?

Another way to do this two power types concept but with Magic and Super powers is with two characters is through the "Imbued Heroes" rules in PU2. Have one player a mystic study per standard HU rules. The other an Imbued Hero with the following:

Step 3 - Super Abilities:
1.Nature of Imbuing Agent: Either Chemical: Pill, Injection, potion etc...or Mystic: Magical Potion
3. Who can gain the Super Abilities by using the Imburing Agent: Anyone and everyone or the tailored specially to the body chemistry
4. Who can make the Imbuing Agent: Instucted by Hero or Anyone with Lab
5. Super Abilities - Add what you want here!

So basically the Mystic Study could be taught how to make the Imbuing "magic potion" and us and gain the super powers from the potion without even Imbued Hero even being necessary! Munchkin anyone?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Lukterran wrote:
Regularguy wrote:

I like the way you think! Perfect example how a normal character could have both. Perhaps he got the ring off a fallen villain?

Another way to do this two power types concept but with Magic and Super powers is with two characters is through the "Imbued Heroes" rules in PU2. Have one player a mystic study per standard HU rules. The other an Imbued Hero with the following:

Step 3 - Super Abilities:
1.Nature of Imbuing Agent: Either Chemical: Pill, Injection, potion etc...or Mystic: Magical Potion
3. Who can gain the Super Abilities by using the Imbuing Agent: Anyone and everyone or the tailored specially to the body chemistry
4. Who can make the Imbuing Agent: Instructed by Hero or Anyone with Lab
5. Super Abilities - Add what you want here!

So basically the Mystic Study could be taught how to make the Imbuing "magic potion" and us and gain the super powers from the potion without even Imbued Hero even being necessary! Munchkin anyone?

My opinion is that that is an "in Game" issue, and up to GMs to work out themselves if they would allow it. Sort of like if a Special Training char got a "magic object".... *shrugs*

In Game things are as loose as that game's GM wants it to be.

I for one would not allow both magic power cat and psionics power cat in the same char (except maybe with immortals) because both represent years of training and dedication to expanding those abilities/powers.
Getting the opposing powers in a second hand nature like through a magic weapon, magic object, granted powers or Imbued powers.....those are things to be had 'in game' and "dealt with"/"give out" by GMs.
Nightmask
Palladin

Nightmask wrote:If he simply has psionic powers but his pursuit is Mystic Studies it shouldn't be costing him anything, it's not like he's advancing as a psionic and a mage he's simply a mage that has some psionic powers (which contrary to some aren't a 'got to train to have them' kind of thing).

What he has is extra assets in his character build, which palladium generally reflects with a higher XP cost. If we're talking about a few minor powers, no big deal. If we're talking about both a full blown mage and a full blown psionic, then we're talking about a mega-class. And remember in Rifts, if you get six or eight minor psionics, you have to give up some percentage points from your starting skill package to represent your "training" efforts.

And then they dropped that with the ultimate edition when they realized how silly that is.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:It might seam to you that I'm "splitting hairs" but there is enouph differance between the class templates and power cats to reffer to them seperately.

Why? A line walker, a PFRPG mage and a mystic study character are almost identical, and functionally the same in play in all aspects.

I have no problem with classes per say, it is the words used that matter. Because of the IDEAS they convey are what matter.
Right, splitting hairs. :) Relax Kitten, it's all good.

If I do have a problem with anything, it is the infiltration of Rifts into the other settings because people are just Lazy.
the proverb about the Camel and Tent.

That makes no sense at all. Rifts is full of ideas for game use. Character crossovers, tech crossovers, class crossovers, spell crossovers, ect, ect, ect. Using other Palladium books expands resources and gives both players and GMs a frame to build on when the rules aren't out of the book ready to go. Which they often are.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Nightmask wrote:

And then they dropped that with the ultimate edition when they realized how silly that is.

Alright then. Is the percentages still the same for Psi-chance?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Artist Formerly wrote:That makes no sense at all. Rifts is full of ideas for game use. Character crossovers, tech crossovers, class crossovers, spell crossovers, ect, ect, ect. Using other Palladium books expands resources and gives both players and GMs a frame to build on when the rules aren't out of the book ready to go. Which they often are.

It is the Rifts rules that are not the rules of other settings that are the problem when they are stated HERE in the boards as the canon for that other setting because the poster was too lazy to look things up in the setting being asked about, or pre-facing her post that they were stating that they were stating the rifts rules. (Talking about doing the same with house rules is not funny.)
What GM's import from another setting for their game is up to that GM.

There are so many differences between the MS and the LLW it isn't funny to say they are almost identical.
Yes, they share the some of the same core abilities since they are both generalized mages (at least the RMB LLW is a generalized mage), along with wizards. But the rest of it does not fit together. Sort of like saying a Binobo is practically identical to a great ape just because they are both primates.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
The Artist Formerly wrote:That makes no sense at all. Rifts is full of ideas for game use. Character crossovers, tech crossovers, class crossovers, spell crossovers, ect, ect, ect. Using other Palladium books expands resources and gives both players and GMs a frame to build on when the rules aren't out of the book ready to go. Which they often are.

It is the Rifts rules that are not the rules of other settings that are the problem when they are stated HERE in the boards as the canon for that other setting because the poster was too lazy to look things up in the setting being asked about, or pre-facing her post that they were stating that they were stating the rifts rules. (Talking about doing the same with house rules is not funny.)
What GM's import from another setting for their game is up to that GM.

There are so many differences between the MS and the LLW it isn't funny to say they are almost identical.
Yes, they share the some of the same core abilities since they are both generalized mages (at least the RMB LLW is a generalized mage), along with wizards. But the rest of it does not fit together. Sort of like saying a Binobo is practically identical to a great ape just because they are both primates.

Okay, I'll bite. The poster was looking for some guidance, asking around isn't weak post-fu, it's just asking for advice. Two classes, or power cats as you prefer, Mega-character. That's not lazy.

Second, in which way are mystic study character and the Line walker different?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The only text that says two power cats makes a Mega-Hero is in a Rifter in a regular Rifter article.

Leaving aside the Aliens PC, The canon text does not allow a char to have two power cats.
---------
More starting spells, higher level starting spells different standard skills, different leveling spell process.
All in all the MS char starts out better and grows faster(spells) even if learning spells from another mage takes longer. There are abilities that the LLW has that other generalized mages don't. Along with that there is also access to the LL specialty spells since the coming of RUE.

There is also the ability for the player to just make the MS as a specialty mage; without having to go though hoops and hurtles of "make a whole new class to cast this new magic" that would be needed to happen in a class template setting; by just taking only that specialty magic's spells. Which is why it is a power cat. it is just a generalized outline with the Player and GM shaping the end product.

Sort of like when ordering pizza in a real restaurant on the menu there are pre-designed pizza types and then there is the 'make your own pizza'.

Both, in the end, are round and have topping....but are different.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The only text that says two power cats makes a Mega-Hero is in a Rifter in a regular Rifter article.

Leaving aside the Aliens PC, The canon text does not allow a char to have two power cats.
---------

Raptor Red, Gramercy Island. Bill Coffin also reiterated it when we were pestering him about "Capitan not appearing in this book" on this very board.

More starting spells, higher level starting spells different standard skills, different leveling spell process.
All in all the MS char starts out better and grows faster(spells) even if learning spells from another mage takes longer. There are abilities that the LLW has that other generalized mages don't. Along with that there is also access to the LL specialty spells since the coming of RUE.

There is also the ability for the player to just make the MS as a specialty mage; without having to go though hoops and hurtles of "make a whole new class to cast this new magic" that would be needed to happen in a class template setting; by just taking only that specialty magic's spells. Which is why it is a power cat. it is just a generalized outline with the Player and GM shaping the end product.

Sort of like when ordering pizza in a real restaurant on the menu there are pre-designed pizza types and then there is the 'make your own pizza'.

Both, in the end, are round and have topping....but are different.

So, no real difference at all. Spell selection is a function of class level and starting choice, access to bonus spells are a in game event, and role within play group are player functions. The only difference you've got are setting variations, which are setting specific. Not siginificant.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

*sigh* I'm sorry you feel that way.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:*sigh* I'm sorry you feel that way.

About Raptor Red or the line walker vs mystic study?
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Since I have misplaced my GI book I will have to decline to answer that question.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Since I have misplaced my GI book I will have to decline to answer that question.

Okay.

Well for everyone else playing at home, Raptor Red (appearing on Century Station cover, they guy in red) was dubbed by the board "captain not appearing in this book". He's on the cover with the centurions but not in CS. Bill said it was a miscommunication between himself and the artists. That was supposed to be Haven. So when Bill put G.I. together, Raptor Red was born. He's a physical training character, with experiment powers added over the top. Plus, to overcome his poor eyesight, he is considering getting bionic eyes. The guy is a combat monster. He will mess you up.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There are no classes in HU.
Sure there is, page 48 of HU2 allows you to dual-class in less time than it takes to work a full-time job.

The Artist Formerly wrote:Bill Coffin gave us the mixed rule in Gramercy Island to streamline play.
Two classes, two sets of powers, eat the massive X.P. Penility.

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The canon text does not allow a char to have two power cats.
Raptor Red, Gramercy Island.

Does Gramercy also have this rules about XP penalty though? Raptor Red (page 186 to 187) doesn't mention that.

My first instinct would be for multiple categories, just treat them like multiple OCCs and advance separately.

I'm actually confused that RR has only a single experience level. Based on his background (initially just physical training, became experienced, got powers later) it sounds like he would have initially been high-level in combat but low-level in his powers.

I suppose it could be possible that it lists 1 level because he's the same level in his new category as his old one though.

Looking to Century Station, it appears that Halcyon Protocal, beyond giving bonus abilities, also makes people Experiment-Category, which I would treat as a category change similar to OCCs (ie if Mystic Study got Halcyon-ified, they could train their new powers but not advance their magic while doing so, etc).

Of course, this gives a huge advantage with no downside to characters who select super-powers that are fixed and not level-based. Wish I could think a way to balance that out.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nightmask
Palladin

I have to wonder why some keep thinking the discussion is about a character that's both a Mystic Study and a Natural Psychic when that's not the question, a mystic study with psychic powers is not the same thing as a combined Mystic Study/Natural Psychic. The former is a Mystic Study who has some psychic powers the latter is an actual combination of two classes, one that learns magic and the other that develops psychic powers and adds to them as you level.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Nightmask wrote:I have to wonder why some keep thinking the discussion is about a character that's both a Mystic Study and a Natural Psychic when that's not the question, a mystic study with psychic powers is not the same thing as a combined Mystic Study/Natural Psychic. The former is a Mystic Study who has some psychic powers the latter is an actual combination of two classes, one that learns magic and the other that develops psychic powers and adds to them as you level.

The little thing nightmask is forgetting is that there are no minor psions in HU nor are there any major psions in HU. So how does he think the char is a Mystic Study going to have ANY psionics canonly.

While the Enchanted Object, Immortals and Mystically Bestowed Abilities power cats have been mentioned as possible ways for a char to have both magic and psionic powers. They are not the Mystic Study power cat with psi powers....they are other power cats.
--------------
However, there are the power cat powers/abilities. Some of them "can be considered to be psionics". So there they have psionics....but limited to what comes with the power cat because there is no mechanism for the MS to gain more in the power cat.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tor wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:There are no classes in HU.
Sure there is, page 48 of HU2 allows you to dual-class in less time than it takes to work a full-time job.

Knowing where drewkitty is going with their comment, technically, drewkitty is right. There are NO classes in HU, HUr, or HU2 [which is really HU3]. "Classes" in HU are referred to as "Power Categories" not "Classes".

Though I think we are smart enough to know what people around the HU-niverse means when they say "classes" unless they precede the word with "school" or something related to education.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

NMI wrote:we are smart enough to know what people around the HU-niverse means when they say "classes" unless they precede the word with "school" or something related to education.

So if a player says to their GM "I'm going to change classes" even if they are actively attending a college course and may be discussing that, we should assume it's a power category change? :)

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:there are no minor psions in HU nor are there any major psions in HU.

Does seem to be the case, page 297 only lists 15/10 saves, not a 12 in sight.

It's odd, I would've figured the mutants who only get a couple to be majors.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tor wrote:
NMI wrote:we are smart enough to know what people around the HU-niverse means when they say "classes" unless they precede the word with "school" or something related to education.

So if a player says to their GM "I'm going to change classes" even if they are actively attending a college course and may be discussing that, we should assume it's a power category change? :)

Seeing that in this hypothetical situation of yours that the current topic of discussion was the discussion of college courses, then "I'm changing classes" would presumably be taken as being related to college courses. A decent GM who may or may not be confused, could ask the player to clarify.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
The Artist Formerly
Champion

Tor wrote: Does Gramercy also have this rules about XP penalty though? Raptor Red (page 186 to 187) doesn't mention that.

My first instinct would be for multiple categories, just treat them like multiple OCCs and advance separately.

I'm actually confused that RR has only a single experience level. Based on his background (initially just physical training, became experienced, got powers later) it sounds like he would have initially been high-level in combat but low-level in his powers.

I suppose it could be possible that it lists 1 level because he's the same level in his new category as his old one though.

Looking to Century Station, it appears that Halcyon Protocal, beyond giving bonus abilities, also makes people Experiment-Category, which I would treat as a category change similar to OCCs (ie if Mystic Study got Halcyon-ified, they could train their new powers but not advance their magic while doing so, etc).

Of course, this gives a huge advantage with no downside to characters who select super-powers that are fixed and not level-based. Wish I could think a way to balance that out.

No, such rules. And without Bill's posts, I couldn't produce them for you, however the point of Red, other then to clear up the Captain Not Appearing bit, was to give GMs a tool for dealing with stacking classes, power cats if you prefer. Because you've doubled your playable resources, you're paying the Mega-XP table.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Tor wrote:

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:there are no minor psions in HU nor are there any major psions in HU.

Does seem to be the case, page 297 only lists 15/10 saves, not a 12 in sight.

It's odd, I would've figured the mutants who only get a couple to be majors.

It does not seam odd when you remember PB's over use of Copying and Pasting.
acreRake
Hero
Comment: Greatest Rune Gardenweasel

Unread post by acreRake »

I think if you had a small number of psionic powers (like a Lachinelian or Camlean mystic study character would have; eg 1-4 minor) you don't really need to go mega table, but if you have any super psionics*, it would be gracious to use the slower progression.

*especially if you have a lot of ISP.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:does not seam odd when you remember PB's over use of Copying and Pasting.
In this case I think it resembles TMNT then.
The Artist Formerly
Champion

acreRake wrote:I think if you had a small number of psionic powers (like a Lachinelian or Camlean mystic study character would have; eg 1-4 minor) you don't really need to go mega table, but if you have any super psionics*, it would be gracious to use the slower progression.

*especially if you have a lot of ISP.

Well if you want a small mix, as you suggested, then the GM should have little problem coming up with a trade out to balance. Bill coffin's goal was to add to the versatility of games by adding a mechanic that would allow another build or a way to convert a character who had been X but through the course of the game, added Y. For example, a superspy who's brain is placed in a alien tech cyborg body.

In Century Station, Aliens Unlimited/AUGG, Gramercy Island, and Villains Unlimited there are dozens of ways that a character with one power set gains another power set. This provides the how to part.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”