Alternate Realities and You?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

knightgoblin
Wanderer

Alternate Realities and You?

Unread post by knightgoblin »

Over 25+ years ago I was reading a DC comic in high school and saw President Reagan in it. And it got me to thinking: If President Reagan is in the DC Universe, than I must be in the universe too. Since there are superheroes in the DC Universe, there would even be a possibility that I would be one too! What if I was a superhero in the DC Universe!?! What would I be?

So I set out for a hike to my local RPG store (Off The Wall, at the time) and picked up DC Heroes Roleplaying Game (you know the black one with Superman and Batman on the cover). Shortly after, I started a campaign where my friends and I were superheroes in the DC Universe.

It’s been about 20 years since I GMed that campaign, but I’ve decided to bring it back using the Heroes Unlimited books and my own generic universe.

My question to you is, what type of super you would be in an alternate universe where super beings exist? What would your abilities be? What would be your origin story? Would you be a hero or villain? Let you imagination flow. :-D
Last edited by knightgoblin on Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
guardiandashi
Hero

Re: Alternate Realities

Unread post by guardiandashi »

if I could define my "reality" or super power set I would prefer to be a "tony stark/ironman" type hero, or the other option would be a "good/controlled Werewolf" style char.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

My character PowerSurge of course.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

What type of super would you be in an alternate universe where super beings exist?
An Experiment category superhuman, initially with a High School education and with the side effect of Increased Mass. Name: Barricade.

What would your abilities be?
Three Majors: Create Force Field, Sonic Flight, and Vibration

What would be your origin story?
Given his powers by a refugee from the future. Four people in total were empowered in this way, and a fifth person (also from that future) leads the team.

Would you be a hero or villain?
Hero.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Re: Alternate Realities and You?

Unread post by Incriptus »

Well my name Incriptus is based on a character I created for a high-cosmic Marvel adventure

In the begining of the universe the laws were more of "guidelines" and much of reality was still being sorted out. Life & Death, Order & Chaos, Love & Hate ... those kind of big theories, and other smaller abstracts were coming into being. The cosmos was looking for a balancing force between Life and Death. Eventually "Hunger" as embodied by Galactus was choosen. The living must kill to survive, balancing life & death. However Galactus's Hunger was not the only possiblity. There were two others, one purposed by Chaos, the other purposed by Order. Chaos sculpted the Phoenix Force, representing Fire & Rebirth. Those that Live may Die, Only to Live again, creating a possible balance between life and death. Order created Incriptus, representing Cold & Undeath. By creating a third option both alive and dead there could be a balance between the two. When Galactus was choosen the Pheonix shrugged and went off towards a different task (protecting the M'Kraan Crystal) ... Incriptus on the other hand was not very happy and went to war against the cosmos. Incriptus was defeated. It was decided that as an abstraction Undeath should still exist, however it did not need a will/conciousness assigned to it. The Will was imprisoned not to be distrubed by any cosmic force, and since that time the majority (but not all) Undead were mindless or under the sway of the will of others (Cthon was a big one). Eventually through the actions of mortal Incriptus's prison was broken and he has escaped. However the pact stands no cosmic force may directly interact with him, it must be the actions of lesser beings that imprison him once again.
*Note* This storyline I made was before Annihilation, I guess if I were to run this now he would be one of the Proemial Gods along the lines of Aegis & Tenebrous, and his prison would likely be the Kyln

I would likely be using a Mega-Hero Alien or a PU2 Immortal to craft Incriptus; clearly a high powered character focused on Cold & Death/Undeath.

... As for me personally

I have a reoccurent super power in my dreams. I have a form of telekenisis, although telekenisis may not be the right word for it, it's more of a tractor/repulsor force. I can't seem to master fine manipulation of items, but I'm pretty good at bringing things to me and repelling them. I can make things hover but it's more of a constant attraction/repulsion that makes it appear to be relitively stable. I can also move things laterally and vertically but only in conjunction with attraction/repulsion. I have a hell of a time with door knobs, ever tried turning a nob with a stick, it's kinda like that. I can't quite fly, but i levatate pretty well by repelling myself from the ground. Recently i've developed a form of "web slinging" I can attract myself from building to building, and i can repell myself for super jumps. I only feel the weight when i'm trying to move myself, but i don't get any feedback when moving other objects. For Example if I levatate myself I feel like I'm lifting my body weight, or even climbing through the air, but when I push a car out of my way I feel nothing. Which brings me to the subject of repulsion fields, it's scary! I don't feel any weight or pressure or any feedback, so I don't really know if it's on or not. I haven't mastered an on/off switch for the field it takes some sort of concentration to do it, but i've been having some luck tying it mentally to my heart beat. Everytime I feel my heart beat a short pulse goes out. Another trick that i've learned is that I can determine how wide my beam is. Super thin beams have allowed me to puncture or cut through things pretty well. I also don't seem to have a limitation on the size or distance of objects I can move. I actually feel bad about some of the things i've done, i've thrown around people, launched cars, I pulled an airplane out of the sky, toppled skyscrapers, one time I was in a really bad mood and started pulling the Moon into the Earth. While not having feedback allows for this limitless force, I have a lot of difficulty determining how much force i'm using. I'll try to push someone back a short distance and end up slamming them into a wall. Lastly the power is highly variable, some times it'll simply decided not to work. It's not like I run out of Power Points or Uses Per Day I think certain targets maybe protected from it, or they're negapychics.

So I'm looking at the force powers from HU to try and determine which would be the best way to go.

HU2
[Minor] Power Channeling: Low Damage Personal Attack. [Minimal Theme Appropriateness, Low Superheroic Usefulness]

[Major] Create Forcefield: Awesome Personal Defense, Great Innocents Defense, Low/Moderate Ranged Damage, No Target Movement/Manipulation [Low Theme Appropriateness, Very High Superheroic Usefulness]

[Major] Force Aura: Great Personal Defense, Slight Physical Offense, No Target Movement/Manipluation [Mid Theme Approprateness, High Superheroic Usefulness]

PU1
[Minor] EE Force: Low Ranged Damage. (Really why so low!) [Mid Theme Approprateness, Low Superheroic Usefulness]

[Minor] EE Force Blast: Low Short Range Area of Effect Damage. Decent Debuff. [Mid Theme Approprateness, Moderate Superheroic Usefulness]

[Minor] Lifting Field: Personal Range Object Manipulation. Slow. [Minimal Theme Appropriateness, Low Superheroic Usefulness]

[Minor] Personal Forcefield: Weak Personal Defense (Really this is much lower bonuses than say Ex PE or Increased Duribility or Hardened Skin . . . and those powers are always on and don't cost you an attack per melee round!) [High Theme Appropriateness, Low Superheroic Usefulness]

[Minor] Tractor Beam: Decent Object manipulation. A very close match to my dream self. Also the last sentence of limitations suggests you can repel objects as well. [Very High Theme Appropriateness, Mid Superheroic Usefulness]

[Major] Create Force Constructs: Good Personal Defense, Good Innocents Defense, Low Ranged Damage, Good to Great Object Manipulation [Minimal Theme Appropriateness, Very High Superheroic Usefulness]

PU2
[Major] Directed Force: Low/Moderate Damage, Low Object Manipulation, Moderate Debuff. [Mid Theme Appropriateness, Low/Mid Superheroic Usefulness]

PU3
[Minor] Force Strike: Low Damage, Low Range [Low Theme Appropriateness, Low Superheroic Usefulness]

[Major] APS Human Forcefield: Incredible Personal Defense, Moderate Range Damage. [No Theme Appropriateness, High Superheroic Usefulness]

[Major] Force Manipulation: Decent Object Manipulation, Low to Extreem Ranged Damage, Questionable Debuff. [High Theme Appropriateness, High Superheroic Usefulness]

Reviewing: I think that that in many respects Dreamself looks like a Minor Hero. With Tractor Beam, EE Force, & Personal Forcefield. . . In other respects he looks like a Major Hero with Force Manipulation, Force Aura & Directed Force. I also guess that one of the biggest sticking points is what exactly can Force Manipulation do? Can I force lift myself to levitate myself. Can I "Pull" Myself towards an Object? Also how well can an opponent fight while being held? Crushed?

If I were to every try to make the character for play, I would probably go with Force Manipulation, Force Aura, & EE: Force Blast. That way I would still be theme appropriate and be powerful enough to play in my normal groups.

Oh ... my superhero identity would simply be me waking from a dream and still having the powers in the real world ... I'd work it out from there
wyrmraker
Hero

Unread post by wyrmraker »

The Palladium system does not include the powers that I would prefer/use in the modern era. The old Marvel Superheroes or GURPS Supers would do properly to refine and/or define the appropriate power levels of what I would prefer.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Immortal godling.

Brick tricks.
Quantum Teleport.
Aps:Electricity.
Slow Motion Control.
Radar.
Godlike Hit points.

A living weapon of incredible power little intelligence and no focus.

I would break stuff, save the people that cheered and since I don't need to eat drink or breathe. Do it for free like a real hero.
Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Bill »

I'd be aware of all of my alternate selves in all alternate realities, able to access all of their memories at will, and temporarily exchange consciousnesses with them one at a time. Not useful on the surface, but imaging the vast amount of knowledge available to me in an infinite universe of alternate realities!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Current version of "myself" is

Mutant - Cause of mutation: Experimentation - Grows with experience
Former Army Calvary Scout
2 Majors and 2 minors
Majors: Monstrous Form and Massive Damage Capacity
minors: Battle Rage and Giant
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
guardiandashi
Hero

Unread post by guardiandashi »

I ended up with this as one:
Megahero
megahero immortality
weakness must transform
1 major 3 minors
major, lycanthropy wolf
minors ex pp, ex pe, flight wingless
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

NMI wrote:Current version of "myself" is

Mutant - Cause of mutation: Experimentation - Grows with experience
Former Army Calvary Scout
2 Majors and 2 minors
Majors: Monstrous Form and Massive Damage Capacity
minors: Battle Rage and Giant

I would insist that only my monstrous form has giant. Be easier that way.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”