Mega-Hero question

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Razorwing
Hero

Mega-Hero question

Unread post by Razorwing »

Would giving up some of the base enhancements common to Mega-Heroes work as an Achilles' Heel/Vulnerability for said Mega-Hero?

A concept I am working on doesn't require the character to have the Supernatural PS or even the increased SDC (+50%) common to Mega-Heroes. So, would downgrading these or eliminating them be an acceptable vulnerability? The reason for this is that the current vulnerabilities (including those found in Rifter #37 just don't seem to fit the concept either.

Yes, the character is "technically" considered a Mega-Hero due to the Mega-Power of Wealth (described in Rifter #37) it will possess, but being significantly weaker (not as strong or durable) than most Megas should balance that out, yes? Such a character would need to "think" more on how to best use their abilities (including vast wealth) rather than just wade into combat (relying on their strength and durability to bring them victory).

To use a simple example... Batman would be considered such a Mega-Hero, due to his vast Wealth (and the limitless super-inventions he seems to have), yet physically he couldn't go toe to toe with powerhouse Megas like Superman. He doesn't have the raw strength or durability (without some form of armor) to do so. He uses his wealth, connections and gadgets to make up for this... vulnerability/weakness.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
wyrmraker
Hero

Re: Mega-Hero question

Unread post by wyrmraker »

I would say that that's something to be negotiated with your GM. I completely see where you're coming from with this, and that one really comes down to in-group rulings.
knightgoblin
Wanderer

Unread post by knightgoblin »

I agree with wyrmraker!

Unfortunately, the Mega-Hero rules are vague on this matter. Probably because, when created, the creator had power gamers that think on the physical side, in mind. From reading his essay (rant) on Mega-Heroes, it seems like he was focusing on appeasing them. Rifter 37, is pretty good at expanding it, but I wish they would go into detail about it some more. Mega-Heroes are only about P.S. P.E., and SDC. I want to hear more about what crazy amount a Mega-Psionic could lift with their mind, or some other lifting powers for other power categories.
Razorwing
Hero

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that this is a unique case where the overall power-level of Mega-Heroes tends towards the Superman-type character rather than the Batman-like ones... those who are Mega in ways other that purely physical.

In that respect, I do believe that making a "Mega-Hero" without some of the standard benefits of the power category would be an acceptable limitation/vulnerability for the benefits they gain... provided it furthers their story, makes for an interesting character and creates opportunities for role-play. Without the vast strength and increased durability, such a Mega will have to rely on other abilities, skills and such to accomplish what most Megas do with shear brute force.

Yes, I could make this character incredibly wealthy without resorting to the Mega-Hero rules... and I had considered so many times (especially before I rediscovered the expanded/optional rules presented in Rifter #37), but there are few guidelines in regards to wealth in any of Palladium's games... at least in how it can affect the game in anything but negative ways (almost all references are warnings not to let it replace the need for players to do any work themselves, such as investigations and such). This Mega-Power is the closest I have found that actually provides useful and more positive uses for such a level of wealth.

Besides... many hero groups tend to have the backing or support from some sort of wealthy individual... who is often a member of the team. Professor X of the X-Men; Tony Stark for the Avengers; Bruce Wayne and Oliver Queen for the Justice League... just to name a few.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
knightgoblin
Wanderer

Unread post by knightgoblin »

Razorwing wrote:Thanks for the replies.

I agree that this is a unique case where the overall power-level of Mega-Heroes tends towards the Superman-type character rather than the Batman-like ones... those who are Mega in ways other that purely physical.

In that respect, I do believe that making a "Mega-Hero" without some of the standard benefits of the power category would be an acceptable limitation/vulnerability for the benefits they gain... provided it furthers their story, makes for an interesting character and creates opportunities for role-play. Without the vast strength and increased durability, such a Mega will have to rely on other abilities, skills and such to accomplish what most Megas do with shear brute force.

Yes, I could make this character incredibly wealthy without resorting to the Mega-Hero rules... and I had considered so many times (especially before I rediscovered the expanded/optional rules presented in Rifter #37), but there are few guidelines in regards to wealth in any of Palladium's games... at least in how it can affect the game in anything but negative ways (almost all references are warnings not to let it replace the need for players to do any work themselves, such as investigations and such). This Mega-Power is the closest I have found that actually provides useful and more positive uses for such a level of wealth.

Besides... many hero groups tend to have the backing or support from some sort of wealthy individual... who is often a member of the team. Professor X of the X-Men; Tony Stark for the Avengers; Bruce Wayne and Oliver Queen for the Justice League... just to name a few.

True dat! :-D
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Myself I've never seen why anyone would think having lots of money would count as a super-power, by that logic Bil Gates is a super. It's just a thing that some people have a lot more of than others do. So if the character's thing is he's fabulously wealthy he's not a mega-hero he's just a really wealthy guy who happens to be a hero so obviously he wouldn't have the natural enhancing bonuses that an actual use of the mega-hero add-on would provide.

As far as the negative things about wealth go, many still are focused on 'keep them poor' thinking from the AD&D fantasy setting, even though for the super-hero genre being wealthy is a somewhat common feature of heroes and villains alike up to and including having their own countries (Dr. Doom being the main one people think of for that). A hero with lots of wealth should be allowed to actually use it to fast-track past some issues, to get things around to where it's exciting for the players faster and move the story along. There are certainly enough examples of how extremely wealthy characters still are active heroes rather than letting their money do it all (since after all their mindsets don't let them leave others to do the hard stuff that's for them).
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Agrees that the questions you asked are ones that you and your GM need to discuss between yourselves.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Although these questions ultimately will need to be asked between you and your GM, asking here is just fine as well. Personally, I would probably allow the trade-off, though I would probably want to know what you plan on doing with the increased wealth from "Mega-Wealth".

As for option Mega-Vulnerabilities, since you are already going outside the book so to speak, take a look at the Black Vault - http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com -- tons of vulnerabilities that have been collected from users that created them here on the HU2 forums.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

If you were my player and asked me this ...

First instinct would be to say 'no'. As "less advantages" does not equal "vulnerability". To me that vulnerability is something that makes you worse than a "normal" hero in some way. However I'm usually up for negotiation. So I'd continue to think about it. I guess the Mega Hero XP table is a weakness to a degree. Everyone else would have a level on you*. That probably isn't enough a balance for my tastes, especially with the number of options that are not level dependent. I want something "punishing" something a normal man could use against you.

*is the rest of the group Mega-Heroes? In that case I think I would allow it since you would still be less than everyone else your main advantage would be lack of a weakness. To reiterate I think the main problem is that a watered down Mega-Hero is still more than a standard Hero one to two levels below.
Lukterran
Adventurer

Unread post by Lukterran »

I don't know why you are putting yourself under the Mega-Hero rules. Basically you just want a really wealthy character. That is something to decide with the GM. Or you could just play it out and become a wealthy character.
Damian Magecraft
Knight
Comment: Evil GM
Master of Magics
Defender of the Faith

Unread post by Damian Magecraft »

As a GM I would allow it but with the provision that you the player understand that I view Mega-Wealth (In my games we call it "dirty rotten filthy stinking rich" or... the Stark/Wayne option) as much a vulnerability as it is an advantage.
DM is correct by the way. - Ninjabunny
It's a shoddy carpenter who blames his tools. - Killer Cyborg
Every group has one problem player. If you cannot spot the one in your group; look in the mirror.
It is not a good session until at least one player looks you in the eye and says "you sick twisted evil ****"
Razorwing
Hero

Well... I wanted to avoid giving details of the character away, but it will probably help explain the situation better.

First off, the character is going to be a Mutant (mutant animal actually... a Pleasure Bunny from ATB) who has used her powers to become one of the greatest performers the world has ever seen. She has invested that initial fortune into many different ventures to become one of the richest people on the planet... not unlike how a lot of today's stars are actors, performers and fashion moguls.

However, she has recently had a life altering experience... namely through a series of misadventures she has seen first hand how the vast majority of mutants (especially the more deformed kind) are often forced to live. She soon realizes that if it wasn't but for the lucky breaks she had (even before her birth), she would be much like them. She also realizes that despite the vast wealth at her disposal, she hasn't really done anything with it... except make her life easier. This experience has changed her... for the better in her opinion. Now she has dedicated herself to the Mutant Rights cause and has become a backer of the Mutant Underground while lobbying governments to acknowledge the existence of the problem the bio-tech industry has created rather than just blaming it all on the creations of that industry.

As part of her goal, she has created a Sanctuary(s) for mutants... and is in the process of building a front team (the other players) that can show the world that Mutants (of all sorts) can be a positive force. She realizes that many mutants distrust humans as much as humans distrust them, but hopes that these attitudes can be changed over time... otherwise there may be a major conflict that neither side can win.

As I said before... I do realize that all of this can be done without the Mega-Hero rules... it is just the only place where such a level of wealth is even discussed in a somewhat positive light (everywhere else it is either avoided or seen as an extreme negative for RP due to the high probability of abuse).

@Incriptus... Vulnerabilities should not make a Mega-Hero worse than a normal hero... it goes against the very nature of the Mega-Hero. Vulnerabilities are meant to balance the advantages gained... not punish the player for being on a higher tier. As for something to use against such a character... well a gun would work (she isn't as powerful or as durable as most Megas).

Damian has a better idea of how to deal with it in that having such wealth can be as much a vulnerability as it is an advantage. Look at what characters like Bruce Wayne or Oliver Queen or even Lex Luthor have to go through to maintain their wealth. Ultimately they have to deal with investors and make sure the source of their wealth is maintained to some degree. Even a recession like the one we had in the early 2000s could be a source of problems for such a character. More importantly, such a wealthy character can become a target for criminals out to make a quick fortune... (more so if they don't realize the character is a superhero as they will think it is an easy mark). The often high visibility of such people also draws the attention of the Media to their actions... and we all know how much tabloids love a juicy story (even if they have to bend the truth to their satisfaction).

@ Nightmask... wealth alone isn't a super-power, but rather it is how one uses it that can make it so. Bruce Wayne uses his fortune to help him make all those fabulous toys he uses in his war on crime. Tony Stark used his to create a long series of battle armors that made him a superhero. True, both could have been done without the wealth aspect... but not to the same degree. Their wealth is as much a defining feature of their characters as their gadgets are. Sure there are some story arcs where they have been impoverished to some degree... but those are usually not a permanent situation and eventually they manage to recover their vast fortunes in time.

Hopefully this will give some insight into what I and the rest of my group were thinking. I'm even thinking of writing up some of our sessions as stories for possible publication in the Rifter. We'll see how things turn out.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”