Best source for more spells?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: Best source for more spells?

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

Both books are good sources for spells. Yes there is some overlap but the Spells in the HU-GMG will have the SDC versions of spells where as the Book of Magic will have the MDC versions along with other types of magic.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

PF2 Basic Book, PF: High Seas has necromancy for SDC setting, and PF: Library of Bletharad has a bunch more SDC spells, as does the Nightbane Through the Glass Darkly. All of which have the great advantage of already being SDC.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

SpiritInterface wrote:Both books are good sources for spells. Yes there is some overlap but the Spells in the HU-GMG will have the SDC versions of spells where as the Book of Magic will have the MDC versions along with other types of magic.

Other types of magic is a bit of an understatement.. There are over 220 pages of spells listed in the RIFTS Book of Magic.

For a good magic user in Heroes Unlimited though, you can do well for a long time with just the main book and the HUGMG; likewise there is a mystic order described and a few magic NPCs in that book in one of the adventures. As mentioned above by eliakon, Nightbane: Through the Glass Darkly has some spells, but it also has some excellent rules for creating and modifying spells, well worth the purchase price.
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Rifts Book of Magic has the greatest concentrations of magic spells, common/invocation magic and other spell types, of any of the PB game books. However, they are all optimized for use in the Rifts setting and thus most need to be converted to be used in a SDC setting.
The overlap between the RBoM and other settings' spells are the ones that are the common set of spells found in the Main books.

Other then the HU, NB & PF Main Books And the rifters for canon SDC common magic Spells
HUGMG
PF:MoM1
HU:AU
AU:GG
PF:LOB
NB:TtGD

For the Rifter magic I've made a listing Here--->http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=131372
This just lists all magic spell and stuff classes in the rifters that I have a copy of. (disclaimer:can't find my copy of 49 so I had to skip it. and I only have up to 62.) The list does not say which is for MDC settings or for SDC settings.

Canon space magic is found in RDB F3G, but is is for the 3G setting, thus MDC optimized.
Blood magic is found in one of the 3G Minion War RDBs.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

The Heroes Unlimited: Game Master's Guide is a great addition to Heroes Unlimited gaming, not just for the extra spells it introduces but because it's a great resource. Aliens Unlimited Revised and the Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide also have a couple of pages worth of spells, some of which are unique only to those books (not reprinted anywhere else). Here's a list of what that final spell list looks like.

Those three books would cover all the Heroes Unlimited setting magic, and would also be good resources for Heroes Unlimited games beyond just the spells they have.

Outside of Heroes Unlimited, the Rifts: Book of Magic does contain a bunch of spells. Not just regular invocations, but also Necromancy, Bone Magic, and Temporal Magic - all of which a regular invocation mage can learn. Many of the spells in that book do require some sort of conversion to make them appropriate to an S.D.C. world like Heroes Unlimited, but that can be as simple as replacing all instances of 'M.D.C.' with 'S.D.C..' If you're looking to get just one book with spells, you can't go wrong with this resource.

The Nightbane book "Through the Glass Darkly" has some new spells, some new spell casters, and rules for researching, modifying, an creating new spells. It also has rules to "converting" spells from one magical discipline (like Biomancy, Elemental Magic, or Ocean Magic) to invocations. That book is a great magical resource for any Palladium game. Most of these new spells can't be found anywhere else. The book is also good for giving a darker tone to magic, should you wish to.

There's some new spells as well in the Palladium Fantasy books "Library of Bletherad" and "Mysteries of Magic." These books both contain magical spells not reprinted anywhere else, but outside of those spells they don't offer a lot to a Heroes Unlimited game (Mysteries of Magic offers more than Library of Bletherad does).

I'm also going to throw out there the book Chaos Earth: The Rise of Magic, because there are many spells in that book which are great for a tech environment and aren't duplicated in any way anywhere else. You would have to make a judgement call as to whether or not a Heroes Unlimited Mystic Study character could learn those spells, as the rules aren't clear in that regard.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

The Chaos Magic Spell in CE:TRoM need conversion to common magic before a invocation mages can use them. BLW's have a link to LL's that let them be able to cast them at the Chaos magic PPE costs.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:The Chaos Magic Spells in Chaos Earth:The Rise of Magic need conversion to common magic before an invocation mages can use them. Blue LZone Wizard's have a link to Ley Line's that let them be able to cast them at the Chaos magic P.P.E. costs.

Chaos Magic P.P.E. costs are only different for Chaos Wizards while in a blue zone (a ley line or nexus area). Chaos Magic has no "spell level" so conversion to common magic using the Nightbane: Through the Glass Darkly rules is not possible. That's why it's a G.M. call.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
MADMANMIKE
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The Emolancer

Unread post by MADMANMIKE »

Glistam wrote:The Heroes Unlimited: Game Master's Guide is a great addition to Heroes Unlimited gaming, not just for the extra spells it introduces but because it's a great resource. Aliens Unlimited Revised and the Aliens Unlimited Galaxy Guide also have a couple of pages worth of spells, some of which are unique only to those books (not reprinted anywhere else). Here's a list of what that final spell list looks like.

Those three books would cover all the Heroes Unlimited setting magic, and would also be good resources for Heroes Unlimited games beyond just the spells they have.

Outside of Heroes Unlimited, the Rifts: Book of Magic does contain a bunch of spells. Not just regular invocations, but also Necromancy, Bone Magic, and Temporal Magic - all of which a regular invocation mage can learn. Many of the spells in that book do require some sort of conversion to make them appropriate to an S.D.C. world like Heroes Unlimited, but that can be as simple as replacing all instances of 'M.D.C.' with 'S.D.C..' If you're looking to get just one book with spells, you can't go wrong with this resource.

The Nightbane book "Through the Glass Darkly" has some new spells, some new spell casters, and rules for researching, modifying, an creating new spells. It also has rules to "converting" spells from one magical discipline (like Biomancy, Elemental Magic, or Ocean Magic) to invocations. That book is a great magical resource for any Palladium game. Most of these new spells can't be found anywhere else. The book is also good for giving a darker tone to magic, should you wish to.

There's some new spells as well in the Palladium Fantasy books "Library of Bletherad" and "Mysteries of Magic." These books both contain magical spells not reprinted anywhere else, but outside of those spells they don't offer a lot to a Heroes Unlimited game (Mysteries of Magic offers more than Library of Bletherad does).

I'm also going to throw out there the book Chaos Earth: The Rise of Magic, because there are many spells in that book which are great for a tech environment and aren't duplicated in any way anywhere else. You would have to make a judgement call as to whether or not a Heroes Unlimited Mystic Study character could learn those spells, as the rules aren't clear in that regard.

:ok:
Minions - Character Sheets <---- UPDATED LINK TO MY DA PAGE!!!
Must repeat my mantra: As a genius, I am not qualified to make the assessment "it doesn't take a genius to figure this out."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Through The Glass Darkly is the one Nightbane book I wish I had kept when I got rid of my Nightbane books. It is an excellent resource for creating spells. The Rifts Book of Magic is also excellent. I grab up anything I find with spells and new types of magic because you can never have too mant spells and just using the ones in the HU2 main book is too limiting, IMO.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”