ARs don't stack, but what about AR bonuses?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

ARs don't stack, but what about AR bonuses?

Unread post by Tor »

Gonna be mostly using PU as it it has more examples...

Although it'd be nice if there was some formula, with set amounts of AR there's no given way to stack them, so we just use the highest, basically...

if you had a character with the minors of Heavyweight (or perhaps APS quills), Earth Empowerment and Enlarge Body Parts, you could shift between 3 different ARs depending on context (you have the lowest base from being heavy, a medium base if you're grounded, and the highest if you puff out your chest in lieu of other body part fun) but there's no AR-enhancement to being puffy-chested from being super-massive or earth-inclined, even though there probably should be.

Some of the powers have both a base NAR along with a + per level enhancement. This is where I wonder if the store is opened to stacking. For example...

A level 2 mutant has the major power of Geo-Thermal Energy and the minor of Hardened skin. Sticking with the higher base (GTE, one higher) at level 2, rather than being 13, since they both gain one at level 2, perhaps it would be 14?

On a somewhat related note (though this wouldn't stack since it's a separate forcefield) I'm wondering how people interpret the AR of stasis field. Is it a body-armor type AR where if surpassed, you can damage the sleepers without depleting the SDC (like Armor of Ithan)? Or is it a natural one (like with Force Aura) meaning that the SDC must be depleted and it won't be damaged at all without a high roll?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SpiritInterface
Hero

Re: ARs don't stack, but what about AR bonuses?

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

According to Siembieda you take the highest AR.
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I stack it highest one gets +2 for two ar's if the Alien ( only case I've seen) add +1 for each additional AR bonus. Again NOT canon just common sense.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

SpiritInterface wrote:According to Siembieda you take the highest AR.
My point is that this statement could be referring to 2 fixed/base ARs. It doesn't explicitly say to use the higher of the 2 bonuses, or to calculate the ARs of powers separately and THEN choose the highest, so the bonuses could arguably stack.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

I've always stacked A.R. bonuses. Usually because strike rolls can get so high that A.R. can become irrelevant.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”