Is it a book-legal character?

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

PU2 Immortal Monster Alien Mutant Mega-Hero: Legal character?

Yay
21%
Nay
58%
Tacos
5%
Bacon
16%

Total votes: 19

13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Is it a book-legal character?

Unread post by 13eowulf »

The topic before you is regarding a certain character combination, and whether or not it is RAW or wrong, Legal or not, correct or incorrect interpretation of the rules.

The concept: PU2 Immortal Monster Alien Mutant Mega-Hero.

On one side: The PU2 Immortal Monster includes the text "Roll up as a Mega-Hero" before it goes into the list of bonuses one gets from the PU2 Immortal Monster. The Mega-Hero section of the main book says to 'Roll up as a normal super hero, then add these bonuses' (to paraphrase). This is concluded to mean make a super hero (in this example an Alien Mutant), make it a Mega-Hero, THEN bring in the PU2 Immortal Monster bonuses, in order to make the character an Immortal Monster.
The basic concept being the PU2 Immortal Monster is an 'upgrade' to the standard Mega-Hero process.

On the other side: The PU2 Immortal Monster includes the text "Roll up as a Mega-Hero", which means to add the Mega-Hero bonuses to the PU2 Immortal Monster. Under the Mega-Hero section of the main book where it says to 'Roll up as a normal super hero' the PU2 Immortal Power Category, using the subsection for the Immortal Monster, is the 'normal super hero' part, as not all subsections of the PU2 Immortal include the "Roll Up as a Mega Hero" text, making the instructions somewhat circular, or redundant, but not unexpected when combining parts of two different books.

Please, more than voting, discuss the situation.

Before anyone brings it up, YES it is a munchkin concept. neither side disputes that. That is not the question at hand.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Is it a book-legal character?

Unread post by eliakon »

No. I would say that the 'roll up as a normal hero' sections are supplanted by the PU2 part. I.E. 'immortal' is your 'normal hero category'. This is especially important since otherwise you get into an infinite recursion loop.
So use the PU2 section to make the character. Period. Dot. End of story. Otherwise you get into the silly 'I have 10 major super powers, and 3 Megapowers' zone of 'I win'
Also just remember XP is based on your power relative to the threat....so finding challenges hard enough to get you XP can be hard for people like this.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Bacon... Tacos... Bacon... Tacos... I've got it! Bacon tacos! Mmmmmmmm.

More seriously, this is the sort of thing that as a GM makes me reach for stuff like the Mulka. If the PCs want to be Galactus, I'm going to need to have an Ultimate Nullifier around somewhere.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

One roll up base char rolls.
Add Immortal and Mega-Hero bonuses.
That is it. No circular realms of thought.

For this topic...bacon.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Cybermancer
Hero

Unread post by Cybermancer »

Tacos.

That is all.
I was raised to beleive if you can't say something nice about a person, say nothing at all. This has led to living a very quiet life.

Someone who tells you what to think is trying to control you. Someone who teaches you how to think is trying to free you.

WWVLD?
Neorealist
Wanderer
Comment: 42

Unread post by Neorealist »

That particular combo is 'almost' very book legal, if munchkin-tastic.

Adding alien to immortal monster is probably legal, depending on the specific alien race selected. (many aliens can be any OCC, including immortal monsters as the case may be) Adding Mutant to that is not. (it is a separate OCC)

Mega hero is a separate OCC from Mutant, the 'roll up as a normal hero' part of it is referring to your characters stats, background, etc, not inviting you to add a second class of any kind to it.
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:One roll up base char rolls.

For this topic...bacon.

This would be correct. The other way should only if you got a nutty G.M. who'd agree to let you play
something that powerful. To which he would have to come up with something even more powerful
for you have any sort of discent adventure. Stay with rules and you shouldn't have an issue.
Jefffar
Supreme Being
Comment: Being a moderator doesn't mean I speak for Palladium Books. It just makes me the lifeguard at their pool.

Unread post by Jefffar »

Neorealist wrote:That particular combo is 'almost' very book legal, if munchkin-tastic.

Adding alien to immortal monster is probably legal, depending on the specific alien race selected. (many aliens can be any OCC, including immortal monsters as the case may be) Adding Mutant to that is not. (it is a separate OCC)

Mega hero is a separate OCC from Mutant, the 'roll up as a normal hero' part of it is referring to your characters stats, background, etc, not inviting you to add a second class of any kind to it.

Except none of those are OCCs they are Power Classes.

The Alien section indicates which Power Classes it can merge with, Immortal is not on that list.
Official Hero of the Megaverse

Dead Boy wrote:All hail Jefffar... King of the Mods

Co-Holder with Ice Dragon of the "Lando Calrissian" award for Smooth. - Novastar

Palladium Forums of the Megaverse Rules

If you need to contact Palladium Books for any reason, click here.
Neorealist
Wanderer
Comment: 42

Unread post by Neorealist »

Indeed, you are correct regarding the alien Power Class in the main rulebook. However if you refer to aliens unlimited, you'll find that it is possible to create an alien immortal monster with relative ease (by combining the alien creation rules with the Power class of your choice), as that restriction is not universally present in the latter sourcebook.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:One roll up base char rolls.

For this topic...bacon.

Just did some rereading....

While I believe I have stated the intentions of the the Immortals text....because the Immortals text has a table to assign powers.

If you ignore that the Immortals power cat is in itself a power cat, then it does look like in the strict reading of the text that you would roll up a char as normal w/a power cat., then adding on both the MH & Immortals bonuses on top of that.

However, If I was to look at things like that I would skip over the powers table in the Immortals power cat replacing it with the pre MH/Imm. power cat powers.

I do not condone the alternate reading of the text that has been brought up.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

Yes the reason it says mega hero is so you HAVE to take a weakness or two, maybe three or four if appropriate.
My immortal is a nasty brawler. Tough as hell. Isnt all that strong has lots of vulnerability easily manipulated and fun to play.
To quote musahi. " using a shorter blade increases speed, is speed enough to win?"
So is power enough to "win"?
I say no.
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Unread post by Severus Snape »

My not-so-needed-nor-wanted ham sammich on this issue:

• If you are starting with Immortal Monster, and then add the Mega-Hero option onto it, you stop right there. You end up with an Immortal Monster Mega-Hero.
  • If you are starting with a Mega-Hero, and then go to Immortal Monster, you stop right there. You end up with an Immortal Monster Mega-Hero.
  • If you are starting with an Alien, and then go to Mutant, and then go to Mega-Hero, you stop right there. You end up with an Alien Mutant Mega-Hero.
  • If you are starting with a Mega-Hero, and then go to Alien, and then go to Mutant, you stop right there. You end up with an Alien Mutant Mega-Hero.

Looking at the table on page 95 for Aliens, there is no way to get from Alien to Immortal Monster. Per the book, that cannot be done. However, you can get to Alien from Immortal, but the process stops right there.

Summary: You are either an Immortal Monster, or an Immortal Alien. You cannot be both as this would constitute being multiple power categories.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

in the book it says ROLL up as a megahero. you use the immortal powerset AND the megahero upgrade to create the character. THAT way YOU HAVE TO TAKE A WEAKNESS!!
zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Unread post by zerombr »

even if its legal, it doesn't look fun at all to me, so I think it's a moot point.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”