Psychic Body Field

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Psychic Body Field

Unread post by zerombr »

In a HU setting, would you just have the Super Psionic be just 10 SDC/lvl as per the spell, or would you upgrade it to be more like Armor of Ithan is in an SDC setting, both in Rifts give 10 MD/lvl.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Re: Psychic Body Field

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

My first thought was compare the SDC/MDC between Psi-Shield and Telekenetic Force Field but apparently Psi-Shields don't get any SDC at all in Heroes Unlimited unless they revised it from the copy I had.

That leaves us with just Telekenetic Force Field which in HU gives the user 30 SDC per level and in Rifts it's 25 MDC so with a ratio like that I'd say it gives 12 SDC per level of experience.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Seems reasonable to me to give it the same stats as the Armor of Ithan in an S.D.C. setting... Body Armor A.R. of 18, 100 S.D.C. + 10 S.D.C. per level.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I like sdc settings for the equalizer...Armor Rating.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Well to make sure the conversion of Using Armor of Ithan-like stats in Heroes, lets take a look at the MDC/Rifts equal.

Psychic Body Field in Rifts provides 10 MDC per level.
What does "Armor of Ithan" provide in Rifts? If it is the same, then sure, use the Armor of Ithan AR/SDC for the equal of Psychic Body Field in a SDC environment.

I would not incluide any of the resistances that AoI provides though.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I think it could be fun, instead of making the A.R. just equal to 18, make it equal to 12 + the M.E. attribute bonus.

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Glistam wrote:I think it could be fun, instead of making the A.R. just equal to 18, make it equal to 12 + the M.E. attribute bonus.

I like this!
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Noon
Champion

Unread post by Noon »

NMI wrote:Well to make sure the conversion of Using Armor of Ithan-like stats in Heroes, lets take a look at the MDC/Rifts equal.

Psychic Body Field in Rifts provides 10 MDC per level.
What does "Armor of Ithan" provide in Rifts? If it is the same, then sure, use the Armor of Ithan AR/SDC for the equal of Psychic Body Field in a SDC environment.

I would not incluide any of the resistances that AoI provides though.

Armour of Ithan uses the same in Rifts.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I don't like this, because outside of RUE, AoI is a spell which takes longer to cast than Psychic Body Field, so the extra protection should be a benefit from spending that time. We shouldn't just boost PBF up to it.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Tor wrote:I don't like this, because outside of RUE, AoI is a spell which takes longer to cast than Psychic Body Field, so the extra protection should be a benefit from spending that time. We shouldn't just boost PBF up to it.

How would you handle it?

NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Tor wrote:I don't like this, because outside of RUE, AoI is a spell which takes longer to cast than Psychic Body Field, so the extra protection should be a benefit from spending that time. We shouldn't just boost PBF up to it.
Dont forge t that AoL gets additional benefits and resistances that PBF does not get. So for PBF getting the A.R. and SDC, I think works just fine. Though that is just my opinion and I won't charge you a dime for it. :D
Daniel Stoker
Knight

I have issue giving it that much SDC compared to TK Force Field which seems to have been intended to be the more powerful (damage protection wise) ability in Rifts.

Daniel Stoker
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

AoI costs 10 PPE in HU2, starts with 100 SDC, a high AR (but not a natural AR, just to note), and has resistances.

PBF costs 30 ISP in HU2, starts with 10 SDC, and has no other features. But does have double the duration of AoI

My 'Fix" to Psychic Body Field: Halve the ISP cost, give it 100 SDC to start (keep the same level progression), and explicitly state that damage comes off of it first, like a force field, instead of having an AR that can be penetrated with a high strike roll.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Where are you seeing PBF at all in the HU2 Book? My copy doesn't have it at all.

Daniel Stoker
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Daniel Stoker wrote:Where are you seeing PBF at all in the HU2 Book? My copy doesn't have it at all.

Daniel Stoker

Ack, sorry, I meant to say in the "HU2 Setting" for PBF, it is in Powers Unlimited 1
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Huh, so it is. Well that makes my conversion above useless and with just 10 SDC per level and all it's cavet's I'd much rather have TK Force-Field with it's own limits then PBF in HU.

Daniel Stoker
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Daniel Stoker wrote:Huh, so it is. Well that makes my conversion above useless and with just 10 SDC per level and all it's cavet's I'd much rather have TK Force-Field with it's own limits then PBF in HU.

Daniel Stoker

Which is why I modify PBF the way I do above.
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

These things shouldn't be balanced. Keep in mind that PBF can be mentally activated, whereas AoI usually needs talking and waving and shouting the names of imprisoned beings of darkness who will consume our souls and one day they might just wake up.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”