PU2 Question - Super Abilities & Magic

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

PU2 Question - Super Abilities & Magic

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

I'm looking for some advice on the Immortal power "Super Abilities & Magic" selection. In it it lists the spells the character can start with, 8 from levels 1-5 and then 5 from levels 7-9 as well as their starting PPE, but it doesn't give any indication about what increase in PPE they may get or what additional spells they can learn (if at all). Now the Wizard Supreme and the Magic & Psionics both list PPE increases, but only the Wizard Supreme offers both more spells and PPE and the "Magic: A Spell Casting Wizard" doesn't get either additional spells or PPE which seems wrong as well. I'd think it would be less then the Wizard Supreme for all of them, but it seems wrong that that's the only one that gets more spells and and I don't see why the 'Spell Casting Wizard' wouldn't get more PPE.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Re: PU2 Question - Super Abilities & Magic

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Is there a question in there somewhere?

I think that magic is just much more limited in HU. Possibility or maybe there are general rules on gaining PPE for magic classes listed somewhere else, meaning the Wizard Supreme has a special amount of increase worth noting separately.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Gaining PPE is a function of the power cat/class. There are no general rules about gaining "Level Up" PPE.

PU2 Immortals get base of +1d6+4 PPE per level. As stated on page 59.
Last edited by drewkitty ~..~ on Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Sorry it was at the beginning there before all the comparison, "I'm looking for some advice on the Immortal power "Super Abilities & Magic" selection.... what increase in PPE they may get or what additional spells they can learn (if at all)"?

Edit - And that answers half of it I guess, I totally missed that thank you Drew.

Daniel Stoker
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Tadaaaa. Leave it to Drew to handle the SDC side of Palladium with efficiency.
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Still curious about additional magic. I'm going to assume they're not like a mystic and can learn new spells even if they don't get any spells per level, but I'd like anyone else's opinion on it.

Daniel Stoker
Alrik Vas
Knight

I don't see an issue with that. Does the class description talk about them not learning spells and only getting them intuitively? I'd say they can learn if they find them.

drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Daniel Stoker wrote:Still curious about additional magic. I'm going to assume they're not like a mystic and can learn new spells even if they don't get any spells per level, but I'd like anyone else's opinion on it.

Daniel Stoker

That would be a GM thing to decide if she is going to include any additional items to the stats giving for the powers options that do not include them.

Or...
You could sneak in text on the char sheet about it while keeping an innocent face on while you hand it to the GM.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Alrik Vas wrote:I don't see an issue with that. Does the class description talk about them not learning spells and only getting them intuitively? I'd say they can learn if they find them.

The problem is they don't actually flesh out what 'type' of magic user they are. Even the Wizard Supreme one doesn't say anything about being able to buy new spells to learn and it seems likely at least they would if not the other ones.

Daniel Stoker
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Personally I would let them "learn" new spells as per the 'learning from a teacher' format with out any blinking of the eyes.

But the automatic 'level up' spells....<see previous post>
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Alrik Vas wrote:I don't see an issue with that. Does the class description talk about them not learning spells and only getting them intuitively? I'd say they can learn if they find them.

The problem is they don't actually flesh out what 'type' of magic user they are. Even the Wizard Supreme one doesn't say anything about being able to buy new spells to learn and it seems likely at least they would if not the other ones.

Daniel Stoker

Do you have to be told they can learn new spells before accepting that as a default they would? They're WIZARD Supremes after all, not MYSTIC Supremes, and wizards tend to be on the 'can learn any spell that can be learned given access to it' side of things.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

The ability to gain spells is much more vague in HU than in places like Rifts or Palladium Fantasy. The Mystic Study has rules for gaining new spells, but they don't really mesh with those from any of the other lines (what a surprise, its like its a whole different game line.....). HU also isn't as big on the 'kinds of magic' thing, since all the casters get lumped under one or two Power Categories, as opposed to the multiple highly nuanced classes of the other lines. The best way to handle gaining new spells is to probably ask your GM ahead of time how/if it will work in their game, which will likely be heavily influenced by the individual character concept.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Nightmask wrote:Do you have to be told they can learn new spells before accepting that as a default they would? They're WIZARD Supremes after all, not MYSTIC Supremes, and wizards tend to be on the 'can learn any spell that can be learned given access to it' side of things.

Nope, I'd hope they'd be able to but my point is it doesn't say any of them including the Wizard Supremes can so I'm not sure if other ones like the Super Powers + Magic could or not, and I was hoping to get others opinions.

Daniel Stoker
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Daniel Stoker wrote:Still curious about additional magic. I'm going to assume they're not like a mystic and can learn new spells even if they don't get any spells per level, but I'd like anyone else's opinion on it.

Daniel Stoker

That would be a GM thing to decide if she is going to include any additional items to the stats giving for the powers options that do not include them.

Or...
You could sneak in text on the char sheet about it while keeping an innocent face on while you hand it to the GM.

This destroys trust. How long do you think a Player/GM relationship can be maintained without trust?
Oderint Dum Metuant.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Seems reasonable to me to allow the character to purchase/be taught spells as per the magic section of HU2.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Daniel Stoker
Knight

Honestly I thought so too, but it's my character and I admit I'm biased in favor of a yes answer.

Daniel Stoker
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

eliakon wrote:The ability to gain spells is much more vague in HU than in places like Rifts or Palladium Fantasy. The Mystic Study has rules for gaining new spells, but they don't really mesh with those from any of the other lines (what a surprise, its like its a whole different game line.....).

Or perhaps more simply, a whole different character class?

HU is lacking in guilds you can go buy spells from to supplement your level-up ones, so that's why rules were introduced for self-study, which takes a lot longer (weeks?) compared to learning it from guilds (days?) but is at least faster than inventing your own spells from scratch (TTGD, months)
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Tor wrote:
eliakon wrote:The ability to gain spells is much more vague in HU than in places like Rifts or Palladium Fantasy. The Mystic Study has rules for gaining new spells, but they don't really mesh with those from any of the other lines (what a surprise, its like its a whole different game line.....).

HU is lacking in guilds you can go buy spells from to supplement your level-up ones, so that's why rules were introduced for self-study, which takes a lot longer (weeks?) compared to learning it from guilds (days?) but is at least faster than inventing your own spells from scratch (TTGD, months)

Except that you get stuff like taking 1d4 MONTHS to learn a spell from your master. In every other game line that's 2days per level. At that rate a level 15 spell would take one month, four months is insane unless your learning something like a level 60 spell.....
....Or your in the canon HU universe where magic seems to work differently.....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

13eowulf wrote:
drewkitty ~..~ wrote:

Daniel Stoker

Or...

This destroys trust. How long do you think a Player/GM relationship can be maintained without trust?

Gee...did I forget to put in a " :P ". :D :lol: :wink:
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Tor wrote:

One of the adventures in the GM's Guide introduces two guilds.

Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

Daniel Stoker

I use the rule that they get at least one spell level per every year of age. Over and above what they have listed from the book.
green.nova343
Adventurer

Unread post by green.nova343 »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Gaining PPE is a function of the power cat/class. There are no general rules about gaining "Level Up" PPE.

PU2 Immortals get base of +1d6+4 PPE per level. As stated on page 59.

Just as a quick clarification, all Immortals get that base for P.P.E. Immortals with spell-casting get additional P.P.E. to their starting base (although not per level), as noted in the random table on p. 64. Note that some descriptions state they get extra P.P.E., while others list it as a base.

As for learning new spells, I would divide them into 2 categories:
-- the Immortals who combine spell-casting with another source of power (i.e. Magic & Psionics, Super Abilities & Magic) can gain spells as they advance. However, the only way they should learn the spells is either the 'shortcut' option (HU2, p.151 -- chance for 1 mid- to high-level spell,or more likely 2-4 low-level spells) or option #1 under "Learning Other Spells" (i.e. each time they advance,they can learn 2 spells of their same level or lower). The only other option might be option #3 (supernatural entity grants them 1D4 spells), but that should be a maybe once-in-a-lifetime experience.
-- Immortals who only have spell-casting (i.e. Spell-casting Wizard or Wizard Supreme) have all of the options available for learning spells, including both automatic spells, learning from a mentor, granting, translation, etc. Of course, in the case of learning from their mentor, one would hope that the mentor was also immortal (nothing like trying to find your mentor 300 years after he died...).

Of course, looking at HU2 now, it bothers me that there are essentially two methods for a wizard to automatically learn spells: the "shortcut" & the "option 1". Was that supposed to be an "either/or" type of option? Because you could end up with a wizard easily learning 3-6 low-level spells every time...or a mid-range wizard learning 3 spells every time, all without any effort.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

In the Mystic Study power cat it is "ether/or", "one or the other".

The Immortal power cat does not share anything with the MS PC as per RAW.
GMs of individual games may change this for their games through GM fiat.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Perhaps settings like Rifts allow you to learn magic faster because the magic energy in the air is so saturated.

It's harder to get the sparks flying in HU.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

The Being Taught a spell options in HU2 are different because it fits the genre of the setting where magic is :crane: rare and hard to get.

It also fits the genre of the setting in that there is time between scenarios where a mage can go 'back to the master' to learn a new spell or two. Or to explain why the mage hero is substituted with another hero.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Genre-fitting is our out-of-universe explanation. We still need in-universe explanations to justify author fiat. Which is why I propose PPE-saturation.

Perhaps PPE saturation, though helping with learning magic, interferes with SDC regeneration, which is why SDC is regenerated so quickly in N&SS and TMNT, because magic sucks there.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Meh, don't see why you can't figure put a spell per level.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

The spells are limited because you already have superpowers. They are essentially giving you two classes for the price of one, so they limit it by not allowing you to learn spells. Personally my house rules are different, but that is how it is in the books.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Stone Gargoyle wrote:The spells are limited because you already have superpowers. They are essentially giving you two classes for the price of one, so they limit it by not allowing you to learn spells. Personally my house rules are different, but that is how it is in the books.

Since they don't say you can't learn spells, claiming you can't is an unproven assumption.
So, as I said, I don't see why you can't learn spells.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Sir_Spirit wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:The spells are limited because you already have superpowers. They are essentially giving you two classes for the price of one, so they limit it by not allowing you to learn spells. Personally my house rules are different, but that is how it is in the books.

Since they don't say you can't learn spells, claiming you can't is an unproven assumption.
So, as I said, I don't see why you can't learn spells.

It doesn't say you can either. So your back to 'GM must make a house rule' Remember that 'can learn spells' is NOT the default setting for magic in palladium, only for 'academic' sorts of classes, which this may or may not be.

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

eliakon wrote:It doesn't say you can either.

The rules for spellcasters in HU does specifically say they can learn new spells. See Mystic Study in the magic section of HU.
Being an immortal doesn't make you less competent at spellcasting.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Sir_Spirit wrote:

The rules for spellcasters in HU does specifically say they can learn new spells. See Mystic Study in the magic section of HU.

Being an Immortal doesn't make you a Mystic Study, either.

Nightmask
Palladin

Glistam wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

If you're a mage it does, since we aren't told the spell-caster Immortals spontaneously learn spells or can't learn new spells then they do have the ability to do so.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

If you're a mage it does, since we aren't told the spell-caster Immortals spontaneously learn spells or can't learn new spells then they do have the ability to do so.

That's a flawed argument. The exact same logic can be used to say "Since we aren't told the spell-caster Immortals don't spontaneously learn spells or can learn new spells, then they do not have the ability ability to do so." I can also say "since we aren't told the spell-caster Immortals spontaneously can turn into avocados then they have the ability to do so."

They have the abilities they are listed as having. Any further extrapolation based on completely separate power categories is a house rule and a G.M. decision.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

Incorrect. Again there is nothing in the rules that says the default condition is "can learn spells". The fact that one Power Category can learn spells, as an explicit power of that category, does not mean that all magic users in HU can learn spells. All that can be generalized is that Mystic Studies can. Note that Mystic Imbued can start with spells and can NOT gain new spells. So base book, two classes and one of each. Being an Immortal may let you, it may not. I doubt there is a blanket rule and that it should be ruled on, by the GM on a case by case basis.

Nightmask
Palladin

Glistam wrote:
Nightmask wrote:
Glistam wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

That's a flawed argument. The exact same logic can be used to say "Since we aren't told the spell-caster Immortals don't spontaneously learn spells or can learn new spells, then they do not have the ability ability to do so." I can also say "since we aren't told the spell-caster Immortals spontaneously can turn into avocados then they have the ability to do so."

They have the abilities they are listed as having. Any further extrapolation based on completely separate power categories is a house rule and a G.M. decision.

The flaw is in trying to treat both arguments as being equal, they aren't (as well as tossing out a fallacious comparison to confuse the issue). The spell-casting options for the Immortal imply them to be mages, learned abilities, not spontaneous or unable to learn more. They have the abilities of a mage they learn like mages.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Nightmask wrote:The flaw is in trying to treat both arguments as being equal, they aren't (as well as tossing out a fallacious comparison to confuse the issue). The spell-casting options for the Immortal imply them to be mages, learned abilities, not spontaneous or unable to learn more. They have the abilities of a mage they learn like mages.

That is a reasonable house rule and I hope it serves your games well.

Daniel Stoker
Knight

The problem is it's not the only one that's limited, even the Wizard Supreme one doesn't say anything about being able to buy new spells to learn and it seems likely at least they would if not the other ones.

Daniel Stoker
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Daniel Stoker wrote:

The problem is it's not the only one that's limited, even the Wizard Supreme one doesn't say anything about being able to buy new spells to learn and it seems likely at least they would if not the other ones.

Daniel Stoker
I would agree that it is poorly written, which is why I have House Rules to compensate and correct that.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Daniel Stoker
Knight

See I think they both would be able to learn new spells that they buy but I think they wouldn't get any new spells per level like the Ley Line Walker, but that's me and I admit the rules don't say that at all.

Daniel Stoker
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Let's apply a little realism to the game. You mean to tell me this "wizard superme dragon",
learned all his magic 1000 years ago, at 1st level, and for the next 1000 years, he can't learn
another spell? Why? I am under the logical assumption that a wizard supreme is a wizard of
mystic study, meaning he can learn new spells, now if you are one with super powers then you
probably are not going to gain new spells. All of this again really depends upon G.M., if he lets
you then it's okay, and that is the way Kevin says all Palladium games should be run.
Slight001
Hero

Unread post by Slight001 »

Reagren Wright wrote:Let's apply a little realism to the game. You mean to tell me this "wizard superme dragon",
learned all his magic 1000 years ago, at 1st level, and for the next 1000 years, he can't learn
another spell? Why? I am under the logical assumption that a wizard supreme is a wizard of
mystic study, meaning he can learn new spells, now if you are one with super powers then you
probably are not going to gain new spells. All of this again really depends upon G.M., if he lets
you then it's okay, and that is the way Kevin says all Palladium games should be run.

Personally I find it total BS that not all mage classes don't at least learn spells per level. This crap about relying upon the GM to be fair and let the mages gain new spells is a BS approach to creating a game. The development of a player's character shouldn't rely upon the whim of another.
"If your plan relies upon chance to succeed, then you've already failed."
"Sometimes to achieve the greatest good, one must commit great evil."
Nightmask
Palladin

Slight001 wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Let's apply a little realism to the game. You mean to tell me this "wizard superme dragon",

Personally I find it total BS that not all mage classes don't at least learn spells per level. This crap about relying upon the GM to be fair and let the mages gain new spells is a BS approach to creating a game. The development of a player's character shouldn't rely upon the whim of another.

But unfortunately that's the way it too often is. So you end up with cases where mages never grow or improve over time or do so so slowly that you don't feel like you're gaining and developing your character at all.

eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightmask wrote:
Slight001 wrote:

But unfortunately that's the way it too often is. So you end up with cases where mages never grow or improve over time or do so so slowly that you don't feel like you're gaining and developing your character at all.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Palladium and the Front Loaded character. Its not just mages, huge swaths of the Palladium character landscape are totally or nearly so Front Loaded. In many ways its a surprise that more magic classes aren't like that actually.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”