Century Station and Ley Lines

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Century Station and Ley Lines

Unread post by Glistam »

One of the players in my game is looking to possibly play a Mystic Study character, and I suddenly realized that for as wonderfully detailed the Century Station books is, I didn't see anything about Ley Lines. Did I miss mention of Ley Lines? If not, should there be any? If so, where might be a good spot? Or some good spots? I'm going to look over the maps and think on this myself once I can sit down with the book, but I thought I'd collect other opinions on the matter as well.
Last edited by Glistam on Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Re: Century Station and Ley Lines

Unread post by Tor »

I don't recall the main book doing it, but I heard part of Armageddon Unlimited deals with CS again, and I haven't had time to go through all of it yet so I'm wondering if it might mention that somewhere.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Reagren Wright
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: The greatest part of the writer's time is spent in reading, in order to write: a man will turn over half a library to make one book. - Samuel Johnson, 1775

Unread post by Reagren Wright »

Century Station says nothing about ley lines. Armageddon Unlimited "doesn't" say there are ley line
in the city, but typically the Chaos Generators are put in places where they are located. So I'm
wondering if Carl "unofficially" is saying ley lines are there without saying so.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Reagren Wright wrote:Century Station says nothing about ley lines. Armageddon Unlimited "doesn't" say there are ley line
in the city, but typically the Chaos Generators are put in places where they are located. So I'm
wondering if Carl "unofficially" is saying ley lines are there without saying so.

I thought perhaps there was a ley line mentioned in one of the 101 Adventures, but I guess I am wrong.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Looking through the description of the City, I'm thinking that Century Station may have two Ley Lines.

One is around 5-10 miles long (what's really the scale of these maps?) and it goes from somewhere within the Rattle Ridge District, extending through all the other boroughs of the city and into the water to end on, within, or just North of the grouping of 5 islands off of Victoria Beach. It goes through or remarkably close to a couple of notable points: The Hannigan Junkyard (Brisby Flats), The old Zericho Wax Museum (Brisby Flats), Bloody Monday Memorial (Center City), Theater District (Center City), Century Park (Society Hill), and Brass Castle Estates (Society Hill).

The second is smaller at 1-2 miles long and is only in the Society Hill Borough. It begins at or just North or Century Street, extends through Century Park and ends at or just South of Century Plaza. Those few mages/wizards in the City who know of this line refer to it as the "Century Line."

This creates a nexus point in Century Park, not unexpectedly at the area in the park known as The Grand Lady & Her Hand-Maidens - an area of trees long rumored to house supernatural or magical creatures, such as faeries.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

NMI wrote:
Reagren Wright wrote:Century Station says nothing about ley lines. Armageddon Unlimited "doesn't" say there are ley line

I thought perhaps there was a ley line mentioned in one of the 101 Adventures, but I guess I am wrong.

In the G.M.'s Guide there's an adventure called "Trouble Down the Line" which features a Ley Line, perhaps you were thinking of that one?

In Century Station, the only magical sort of adventures I could find were an adventure idea that involves a cyber-pagan ritual (#16), a supernatural creature coming to town (#37), a kid with a magical stone (#40), a re-animated dead artist and a mysterious building (#48), a demon living in the Silver Hill Arcology (#49), mystical benefactor conference (#70), ritualistic murders (#73), and vampires (the "bonus" adventure). And you're right, none of them involve Ley Lines.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Glistam wrote:Looking through the description of the City, I'm thinking that Century Station may have two Ley Lines.

One is around 5-10 miles long (what's really the scale of these maps?) and it goes from somewhere within the Rattle Ridge District, extending through all the other boroughs of the city and into the water to end on, within, or just North of the grouping of 5 islands off of Victoria Beach. It goes through or remarkably close to a couple of notable points: The Hannigan Junkyard (Brisby Flats), The old Zericho Wax Museum (Brisby Flats), Bloody Monday Memorial (Center City), Theater District (Center City), Century Park (Society Hill), and Brass Castle Estates (Society Hill).

The second is smaller at 1-2 miles long and is only in the Society Hill Borough. It begins at or just North or Century Street, extends through Century Park and ends at or just South of Century Plaza. Those few mages/wizards in the City who know of this line refer to it as the "Century Line."

This creates a nexus point in Century Park, not unexpectedly at the area in the park known as The Grand Lady & Her Hand-Maidens - an area of trees long rumored to house supernatural or magical creatures, such as faeries.

So... Assuming the map of the Century Station boroughs comprises the entirety of the 300 square miles that Century Station is listed to be, and assuming that the water is NOT included in that square mileage, then the map in the book on page 38 of Century Station scales such that each side is about 20.5 miles. Based on that, the first Ley Line I described earlier would actually be around 18 to 19 miles long. The Century Line would still be 1-2 miles long.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I'm still working to turn the Century Station book maps into one quality map; until I do, I drew an approximate map for the Leylines running through Century Station and uploaded it here: Century Station Ley Lines

EDIT: File is no longer uploaded, link removed
Last edited by Glistam on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

AFAIK, IIRC, they do mention that magic users are attracted to the city?
Which wouldn't make sense if there were no ley lines.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

A couple of the adventures from the back of the book mention a group of Wizards, and one in particular says "There are more here than one might think!" I've decided that there will be the two Ley Lines I've been discussing and I placed them on the map of the city I've been piecing together.

As far as "more wizards than one might think," I'll probably have between about a half-dozen to a dozen or so spell casters, all different classes. Definitely a Heroes Unlimited Mystic Study or two, but probably also a Sorcerer (from the Nightbane book), one or two folks with spells from Magic Objects, possibly a Flesh Sculptor and/or Cybermage (from the Nightbane book), an Illusionist (from HU Revised), and maybe a Channeller (from the Through the Glass Darkly Nightbane book) or a Chaos Wizard (from the Chaos Earth Rise of Magic book). I also think it could be neat to have a Wu Shih (from the Mystic China book) and an Arcanist (from the first edition of Beyond the Supernatural) also, but the Wu Shih I need to be extra careful with since I really don't want to pull in N&SS and Chi into this game.

The player who has chosen to play a mage will be a Nightbane Sorcerer, so I look forward to being able to slowly introduce some of the subtle (and not-so subtle) aspects of the Nightbane setting into the game. In a world of modern super heroes I don't want to have an official "Magic Guild" so to speak, but I want the player to be able to have mystical support/friends so I'm going to have most of these mages I mentioned above affiliated in a loose organization called "The Telestic Society." My working idea for them is that they're a "support group for wizards in a modern world".
Last edited by Glistam on Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

This reminds me, did ArmaUn upgrade the PPE levels from ley lines to the massive RUE/PF levels? Or are they still at the low RMB/Nightbane levels?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I don't believe so.
Spoiler:
Though if the Deevil's plan succeeds then the ley lines will increase to Chaos Earth levels.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Here's my first pass at the group known as The Telestic Society.

Regarding Ley Lines in Century Station, I looked at the adventures in the back again and saw that #70 mentions something that I consider odd (bold emphasis mine):
Xian plans to steal their life essences (P.P.E.) to rip wide the interdimensional gate lying dormant in Arcadia and truly make Century Station Hell on Earth when he invites his lords, the Yama Kings, to come by for a visit.

Looking through the book, the only mention of "Arcadia" is in reference to the Archipelago, and no-where in that district's description is there a mention of an interdimensional gate. I wonder if this is another changed reference, like the "109 freeway," that didn't get properly reflected/edited everywhere in the book? But if there is an interdimensional gate laying dormant somewhere in the city that would attract an immortal sorcerer, that would seem to me to be another candidate for a Ley Line Nexus. Thoughts?

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I've decided to ignore that comment in the adventures section. This is my current map, with the scale hopefully correct this time and showing the Ley Lines I've inserted into the city. It's not perfect but it gets what I want to have displayed across.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Glistam wrote:Here's my first pass at the group known as The Telestic Society.

Regarding Ley Lines in Century Station, I looked at the adventures in the back again and saw that #70 mentions something that I consider odd (bold emphasis mine):
Xian plans to steal their life essences (P.P.E.) to rip wide the interdimensional gate lying dormant in Arcadia and truly make Century Station Hell on Earth when he invites his lords, the Yama Kings, to come by for a visit.

Looking through the book, the only mention of "Arcadia" is in reference to the Archipelago, and no-where in that district's description is there a mention of an interdimensional gate. I wonder if this is another changed reference, like the "109 freeway," that didn't get properly reflected/edited everywhere in the book? But if there is an interdimensional gate laying dormant somewhere in the city that would attract an immortal sorcerer, that would seem to me to be another candidate for a Ley Line Nexus. Thoughts?

Gamewise: Since it's described as dormant, I'd say a mage would have to be almost on top of it to have a chance of detecting it. Even then, the mage would have to be actively looking for it, not just stumbling across it.

Reality: Yeah, it was probably changed during editing of the book.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Since its an optional adventure hook anyway I'm not going to worry about it and just keep things how I have them for now.

FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

The Bloody Monday Memorial should be a Prime location for a nexus.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Personally, I didn't see it as Nexus worthy, but I did ensure one of the Ley Lines went through there. I think if any other location was to be a nexus it would be the Zericho Wax Museum. The description for that place is more mystical. In my game I left both locations as "places of power" though. The two places came to that designation by very different means, however.

Making another Nexus would mean making another Ley Line, and what notable locations in the city (if any) would lend themselves to having a Ley Line pass through them?

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Okay, so if I were to make the Bloody Monday memorial a Ley Line Nexus, then looking at the map I'd have the connecting Ley Line start North at the stadiums, run through the memorial and then continue on to Sun Street.

If I remember right the locations I chose the Ley Line to run through were just a little off from being a straight line (the map I put together for my game shows this). I could also see breaking that Ley Line into two separate Ley Lines that run nearly parallel, but both end shortly after intersecting with the Zericho Wax Museum.

There's a bunch of different options for this, ultimately. There could also be stand-alone Ley Lines in the city or surrounding area as well. It's a city around the size of Chicago - how many Ley Lines should such a city have?

I have ruled in my game to have just the two that impact the game, and those are the two I drew on the map. I wanted to keep the mystical low-key, but still have a presense. Due to the odd (mystical?) nature of the grove of trees in Century Park I also rule that these Ley Lines only provide half the usual energy, because the other half is constantly being taken.

FreelancerMar
Adventurer

Unread post by FreelancerMar »

I may have rethink the location of a nexus. The Site of the Ground Zero Explosion might be a better location.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Well what I wrote above was all just my interpretation, and what I came up with based on the game I wanted to run. The book doesn't mention Ley Lines in any way so you're free to come up with whatever works best for your game.

The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Considering the number of magically empowered characters in the two books (CS and GI) a line or two, at the minimum, is definitely the right call.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

FreelancerMar wrote:I may have rethink the location of a nexus. The Site of the Ground Zero Explosion might be a better location.

If there was a nexus at Iron Mike's base of operations then you might want to consider what effect, if any, the explosion and death of everyone at that compound had on the connecting ley lines. Were there any ripple effects from the sudden release of all that P.P.E. at a Nexus? Did that in any way contribute to the Bloody Monday riots and chaos?

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”