Heroes in other countries

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zerombr
Adventurer
Comment: Rifter Contributer 79, 81,82,83,84

Heroes in other countries

Unread post by zerombr »

My friends and I have played Heroes as our overall campaign style for quite a while. Sure we've dabbled with other settings, but overall after we made the switch from Ninjas and Superspies (which needs a new edition!), we've found our home in HU.

And after Century Station was published, we found a new world to play in, all sorts of high tech stuff to look at, to familiarize ourselves with...

and then after a few years of that, One of my players, playing a Japanese youth named Hiro, gave me an interesting thought. His char was getting deported, and I said to myself 'why not run something for him in Japan?' So I did, and I talked to the other players about just doing a one-shot or two-shot for Japan high school, using all the classic anime tropes, and let Hiro steal the scene, and get his OCC change he wanted.

Well Hiro only showed once before that player stopped gaming, and yet...we found ourselves entranced with the idea of high school super heroes, just practically bathing in the tropes we knew from anime.

We have:
a catgirl ninja spirit
a saiyan equivalent
a creepy dead psychic girl
a power armor genius
a classic priestess
a wooden sword master

and others.

All of which really believe in their school, have pride in Japan, and strive to present the proper front for being Japanese AND a hero.

Currently they're in Century Station, and my psychic just loathes the horrid aura of the city. Everyone else is exploring America, and so forth.

So the reason I'm mentioning this, is because in Century Station or in standard HU, we have C-Swat or SCRET around to help police superhumans, but Japan and other countries don't have that power (at least in our game), and so it desperately falls upon the heroes to do the job, there's no backup, no failsafe. They are the only line of defense.

Wherein lies my question. Do you prefer having a somewhat realistic game where the governments and police would be at least marginally capable at fighting villains, or not?

Picture playing heroes in Mexico, which really doesn't have canon heroes, or dare I say...Japan?

In short, a change of scenery can do wonders for a game.
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
"Saving the World", and "On the Hunt" - Rifter 83
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Re: Heroes in other countries

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Mexico might have some "undead" looking types, Desert Warriors or mystic types. Definitely a scorpion or arachnid inspired hero or villain.

South America:
for water types Piranha and snake type hero.

As for in game help I have most governments with some sort anti-Meta human force. Not all are well funded and some just a group of Meta-humans that for one reason or another help the government. Whether as a sponsored team or as there versions of Legionaries. For my japan I have a group of allied clans of Samurai/Ninja that are all from family lines with Meta-human powers that operate similar to the X-men. to help keep the meta gene going they actually arrange marriages and such.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

I did part of my campaign in Japan, but I did a Megatokyo type city and there were giant mecha patrolling outside the city. The story went that way since some of my NPCs were linked to a Japanese organization and one of the players wanted their character's background to be linked to the NPCs. I just worked it so that the father of one of the NPCs ordered them all home to Japan.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:I did part of my campaign in Japan, but I did a Megatokyo type city and there were giant mecha patrolling outside the city. The story went that way since some of my NPCs were linked to a Japanese organization and one of the players wanted their character's background to be linked to the NPCs. I just worked it so that the father of one of the NPCs ordered them all home to Japan.

I remember someone with a similar name writing blog stories a few years ago, fond memories.

Anyway back on track, we're edging towards Megatokyo also, though Japan currently is far far closer to modern day, aside from Shadowlaw, the Mischima Corporation et all
"The Guides to the Megaverse(tm)" Podcast at https://guidesmegaverse.podbean.com/
Author of "Setting the Stage" - Rifter 79, "Hitting the Streets" - Rifter 81, "Hitting the Gym" - Rifter 82
and lastly, my baby, my long term project... The Dark City of Cascade - Rifter 84.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

zerombr wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:I did part of my campaign in Japan, but I did a Megatokyo type city and there were giant mecha patrolling outside the city. The story went that way since some of my NPCs were linked to a Japanese organization and one of the players wanted their character's background to be linked to the NPCs. I just worked it so that the father of one of the NPCs ordered them all home to Japan.

I remember someone with a similar name writing blog stories a few years ago, fond memories.

Anyway back on track, we're edging towards Megatokyo also, though Japan currently is far far closer to modern day, aside from Shadowlaw, the Mischima Corporation et all
If you can, pick up a guide to Japan and read up on its history that led up to its involvement in World War II. I made my Japan have a large number of superpowered characters due to mutagenic storms in and around Japan due to the bombs being dropped.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
zerombr
Adventurer

Unread post by zerombr »

That's one other thing thats fun about gaming there, you learn more about the culture.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

zerombr wrote:That's one other thing thats fun about gaming there, you learn more about the culture.
It is if you actually base it on the real Japan and don't just make up your own version based on what you've seen on TV.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

The criminal organization I used in my campaign was based off of the Black Dragon Society.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dragon_Society
parkhyun
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by parkhyun »

Check out the chapter on International Relations and how it can be worked into HU games:

http://palladium-megaverse.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=142544

Yes, I am using your thread to promote my thread, but you might like to use some of the tables and NPCs. And I agree - heroes should be thrown into situations all over the world. Google Earth is your friend!
Iczer
Prince of Powers

Unread post by Iczer »

I've never appreciated ethic superheroes personally. I'm from Australia, and whenever I see 'Australian' superheroes my blood boils, mostly because if it's not a boomerang slinger, it's invariably named after some misbegotten Australian animal.

I can't see why other countries can't seem to enjoy a broad hero base without a solid chunk of them being lurid pastiches of misrepresented culture.

Besides. In Australia, we're all superhuman ;)

Batts
"Sorry Drewkitty, the laws of physics were defeated by Iczer way back in like, the first ten pages of this thread." A.J. Pickett
“Iczer, you are a power generating machine.” - Mr Twist
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Well I try to keep the Stereotyping low.
But it,s Good to have Heroes and Villains outside the US.
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Iczer wrote:I've never appreciated ethic superheroes personally. I'm from Australia, and whenever I see 'Australian' superheroes my blood boils, mostly because if it's not a boomerang slinger, it's invariably named after some misbegotten Australian animal.

I can't see why other countries can't seem to enjoy a broad hero base without a solid chunk of them being lurid pastiches of misrepresented culture.

Batts

Well you can't help but have a few super-heroes (and villains) look like stereotypes, even US-derived heroes and villains include some stereotypes like American Eagle (native American super-hero). There's even an in-comics justification for it as sometimes super-powers are shaped by your personality/beliefs (hence why Basil Elks ended up becoming the Basilisk with various eyebeam powers), and so some people will end up empowered based around a stereotype.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Rimmerdal
Knight

Nightmask wrote:
Iczer wrote:I've never appreciated ethic superheroes personally. I'm from Australia, and whenever I see 'Australian' superheroes my blood boils, mostly because if it's not a boomerang slinger, it's invariably named after some misbegotten Australian animal.

Batts

Well you can't help but have a few super-heroes (and villains) look like stereotypes, even US-derived heroes and villains include some stereotypes like American Eagle (native American super-hero). There's even an in-comics justification for it as sometimes super-powers are shaped by your personality/beliefs (hence why Basil Elks ended up becoming the Basilisk with various eyebeam powers), and so some people will end up empowered based around a stereotype.

And that is why Captain Canuck is such a tool. Its a very transparent effort to be "Politically" fair to all sides and that is not always a good thing. Besides we Canadians have Alpha Flight and of course Wolverine.
taalismn wrote:

Rimmerdal
Knight

Batts

Dude, you live in a country were anything and everything can kill if you look at the wrong way. You need to be superhuman..
taalismn wrote:

Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Rimmerdal wrote:
Nightmask wrote:

Batts

And that is why Captain Canuck is such a tool. Its a very transparent effort to be "Politically" fair to all sides and that is not always a good thing. Besides we Canadians have Alpha Flight and of course Wolverine.

I actually have some issues of his comic actually, although not being Canadian can't speak to how he appears in Canada only how it looked to me which wasn't that bad really. I also have nearly all the original run of Alpha Flight, generally good material although sadly Northstar fell into stereotypical homosexual character writing after his reveal battling that other Canadian super-hero.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Rimmerdal wrote:And that is why Captain Canuck is such a tool. Its a very transparent effort to be "Politically" fair to all sides and that is not always a good thing. Besides we Canadians have Alpha Flight and of course Wolverine.

Noooo it's Captain Hammer who's a tool. ;)

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Rimmerdal wrote:And that is why Captain Canuck is such a tool. Its a very transparent effort to be "Politically" fair to all sides and that is not always a good thing. Besides we Canadians have Alpha Flight and of course Wolverine.

I prefer Captain Canadia. He's so polite. :P
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”