Super Power to Super Tech Conversions

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

zenethos
Wanderer

Super Power to Super Tech Conversions

Unread post by zenethos »

I have been thinking of ways to make it easier to construct super-armors and other 'stock' comic book super technologies. I have come up with several conversions from Power to Tech, which should work with minimal to no tweaking required. Does anyone else have any powers they have converted to a super invention, and what did you name it?

Here is a sample of my own list:

Adhesion – Nano-Fiber Extrusion (or Electromagnetic Field Inducer) Gloves
    Bend Light – Photonic Displacement Field
    Flight: Glide – Integrated Sail-Wing System
    Flight: Wingless – Gravitonic Field Manipulator
    Healing Factor – Nano-Surgical Repair Array
    Horror Factor – Psychoactive Fear Induction Device
    Mental Stun – Neuromuscular Disruptor
    Underwater Abilities – Integrated Hydro-Motive Containment System
Power may corrupt, but I'd rather be corrupt than weak! - Zenethos

Rimmerdal
Knight
Comment: Official Member of the 'Transformers don't need Humans Club'

Re: Super Power to Super Tech Conversions

Unread post by Rimmerdal »

Good list.

I'd go nano fibers so you can climb more than just metal

would be high-tech and not government issue as they are relly cheap...but I can see fabricators whipping one up.

Talk to the guys as Wayne Tech

lex Luthor from "Injustice: gods among us" would have a similar system if he'd extended that artifical telekinesis to his flight system.

RIFTS!!! and highly do able.. would add some sort power system or fuel though to balance it out. Could store the bots right in the skeleton.

One flaw I'd see is poison/drug immunity would render this less effective. Most NPC villians took the "Chemical resistance factor" Still would be effective for the most part.

Again...energy resistance, absorbtion or channeling will be a factor. Though you might get by them if you have surprise.

self sealing/self processing lungs? sure I could see you'd need to add the eyelids trick frogs have, reinforce skin to handle temp, pressure and the bends. Would be a near full power set just to get this. But on the Plus side the SDC bonuses, PS and PE would be through the roof and the visual and audio range would massive. People laugh at Aquaman...but if he hit a guy it would hurt..Aquaman walks around and moves on the bottom of the ocean...and that means he's one tough guy. Hell in a comic he lifted the equivalent of a city block.

I tried tried artifical Telekinetic fields using variable energy to lighten or move objects.
taalismn wrote:
Rimmerdal wrote:mmm Rifts street meat..

Flooper. Fried, broiled, or chipped.
It's like eating Chinese.
FLOOP! And you're hungry again.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

zenethos wrote:I have been thinking of ways to make it easier to construct super-armors and other 'stock' comic book super technologies. I have come up with several conversions from Power to Tech, which should work with minimal to no tweaking required. Does anyone else have any powers they have converted to a super invention, and what did you name it?

Here is a sample of my own list:

These Gecko gloves are possible with today tech.
Sky diving wing suit. not quit the power but close as you are going to get w/o a hang glider.
Tasers
Water scooter with integrated air supply.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Extraordinary Physical Endurance already pretty much is the Bionic Implants supersoldier option, which stimulates glandular activity to raise PE and SDC; likewise, I'm pretty sure each of the Control Static Electricity effects -- the crackling static electrical field, the joy-buzzer shock, the 20'-range bolt that disrupts power tools, and so on -- could be extrapolated from the electrical discharge of the Bionic Weapon System.
Mediapig71
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Mediapig71 »

I'd really like to see the upcoming Hardware Unlimited book to add rules for designing "Prometheus circuits", mentioned in the Gramcery Island book, to robot and bionic characters. Give each power (or groups of similar powers) a cost per level, and some tech examples as above, and let players design their own.
zenethos
Wanderer

I really like some of the ideas that have been presented here. I guess what I am really looking for is tech that is separate from the character, not implants or cybernetics. Sort of like those 'wonderful toys' of a certain anthropomorphized winged rodent in that neo-Gothic city... Please, don't mistake my narrow focus for lack of interest in the ideas of others, however. I am keenly interested in any tech which models/mimics powers, so feel free to add those into the mix as well!

Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

I can't help but think Cloaking is a natural for this.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Mediapig71 wrote:I'd really like to see the upcoming Hardware Unlimited book to add rules for designing "Prometheus circuits", mentioned in the Gramcery Island book, to robot and bionic characters. Give each power (or groups of similar powers) a cost per level, and some tech examples as above, and let players design their own.

I had written up some rules about this before at some point. Made some notes for myself when I wanted to expand on the tech and potentially the in-game company that developed them. I'll see what I can whip up.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
zenethos
Wanderer

I have an entire list, but I'd like to see if anyone has something different from mine. I have always been a tech-hero fan. My favorite comic was Iron Man.
Deific, I would love to see what you have on the subject. I have been a fan of your stuff since back when you had The Deific NMI's Megaversal Database. And I'm always looking for updates in the Black Vault. Sorry. Fan-boy gush over.

abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

what about my coke power? see under new powers for details)
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how would comelion be used as tech?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

hello?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

abe wrote:how would comelion be used as tech?

Chameleon would work as a variation of Animal Abilities. Basically, a type or variation of a Morphogenic Field Resonator. You have to make a very different and very specific one for each "genotype" of abilities(each version of Animal Abilities needs an almost completely different device).
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

abe wrote:what about my coke power? see under new powers for details)

What coke power?
The search engine doesn't find any such power.
And you haven't linked to it.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

say652 wrote:.......

Don't get pouty. :roll:
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Sir_Spirit wrote:

What coke power?

Sorry, I don't know how to link to the power, it's under new powers thread on this site, again sorry.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I assume you mean "Chameleon"...

Let's break the power down as there are a few parts to it.

Chameleon: Either micro-camera's of some sort for smaller [human sized] objects or larger cameras for larger devices. These cameras would be mounted 360 all around the the device/clothing/person and record what is "behind" them. They would then transmit that same image onto the clothing/material on the other side of them, thereby blending the person/object/vehicle in to their background - You are looking at "Joe Schmoe", but the camera's mounted behind him are transmitting the image of the wall that is behind him to the clothing in front of him? or can be transmitting a few inches a way from, sort of like a holographic display.

Adhesion: See Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide - pages 152-153 "Grip Gloves/Boots" and "Suction Gloves/Boots".

Hold Breath: Scuba gear: Mini-Air tanks, etc...

Feign Death: Meditation techniques, chemicals/drugs/etc...
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

NMI wrote:
I assume you mean "Chameleon"...

Let's break the power down as there are a few parts to it.

Chameleon: Either micro-camera's of some sort for smaller [human sized] objects or larger cameras for larger devices. These cameras would be mounted 360 all around the the device/clothing/person and record what is "behind" them. They would then transmit that same image onto the clothing/material on the other side of them, thereby blending the person/object/vehicle in to their background - You are looking at "Joe Schmoe", but the camera's mounted behind him are transmitting the image of the wall that is behind him to the clothing in front of him? or can be transmitting a few inches a way from, sort of like a holographic display.

Adhesion: See Aliens Unlimited: Galaxy Guide - pages 152-153 "Grip Gloves/Boots" and "Suction Gloves/Boots".

Hold Breath: Scuba gear: Mini-Air tanks, etc...

Feign Death: Meditation techniques, chemicals/drugs/etc...

VERY nice!
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

any more power to tech convertions out there?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Well my "Grey Fox" Analit genius character used some of these techniques.

Flight: Glide was exactly as you put it. I used a modified Frag cape/vest armor and gave the cape that ability.

Adhesion, used a friction amplifier system that via handwavium processes amplified friction allowing one to overcome gravity.

Knock out attack. A lower grade tranquilizer (save DC 14+) set into small throwing knives ( 1d4+PS/DMG bump). As the character was a time traveler, killing was bad. So by eating a penalty on the non-lethal save DC, I added a defense against the odd allergic reaction killing some loser who might be important to the time stream later.

Swing line. Borrowing an idea from Mythbusters' Jamie Hyneman, I took my adhesion trick, added to a thin lightweight steel cable and a pneumatic thrower, and created swing line system.

Sticky bombs (globs). A liquid goo that when exposed to air (normal Oxygen/Nitrogen mix) expanded to several thousands of times it's area. It was porous so one could breath through it but a target who was caught was stuck to where he stood. Requires a strength of human 30 to break free from (or single displacement of 600 pounds, 30x20=600). Costume was built to negate the stick effect, and the bombs were less effective in different environments (significantly colder weather, increased air pressure, those sorts of things. Came in single throw 5ft AOE pellets (the size of a large pen cap) and 15ft AOE canisters (the size of a small bottle of pills, diminishing returns on that one).

Energy resistance. As a upgrade, the suit gained a outer coating that gave it energy resistance to the first 20 points of energy damage it took. Once that twenty point buffer was gone however, the coating had to be reapplied. A suit with continual energy resistance could have been built but would have been much heavier and required a more significant power source.

Heightened sense of Awareness. This was another upgrade to the suit, which through a sensor suite and relayed via physical stimulus to the wearer. Could be confused in "noisy" environments, with many moving objects. This ability consumed (replaced or expanded on depending on your view) the robotic system motion detector.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

abe wrote:
Sir_Spirit wrote:

What coke power?

Sorry, I don't know how to link to the power, it's under new powers thread on this site, again sorry.

sorry, just relized that it might be under soda, not neccarrally coke, again sorry.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Link to abe's soda power.
Hope that works.
A nano-infusion that converts the soda into power and gives you the super abilities, or a juicer-esque 'power harness' that is powered by the soda directly....
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

how would you fine people techafy the undead superpower?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
Vincent Takeda
Dungeon Crawler
Comment: 44 years in denver, but now in grand rapids.

Unread post by Vincent Takeda »

I like the idea of tech goggles/glasses that combine night vision, uv, ir, xray, living anatomy, telescopic, and impervious to control and posession.

I like the idea of a tech device like an arm bracer that combines venomous attack, disruptive touch and mental stun. A full tazer suite.

For 'power armors' I think the most useful ones are
Underwater abilities
Lifting field
Weightlessness, space native and perhaps space flight
Sidestep and defensive will (just silly)
Supernatural strength of course
But I could totally see supertech armors incorporating any of the the 'impervious to' powers...
Impervious to fire and heat suit for volcano workiers
Impervious to cold and freezing for arctic explorers
Impervious to energy and electricity for power plant workers

Perhaps a tech backpack with a flying force disk...

Anything that I dont really feel fits my brains biases towards what could or couldnt be done with tech I tend to go magical... I'm not sure why but there are just some mutations that I don't think fit properly into the realm of even 'super tech.' A tech device giving the 'feral' superpower doesnt seem to work in my head even when I think about it as if its a juicer chemical injection technology... I presume its possible but my mind doest like it at all...

'Shrink ray has been done a lot in movies, but I seem to have built some personal mental wall against that being 'within the realm of tech', while for some reason my brain doesnt balk at all at the idea of time travel or dimensional gate tech... My mind seems to draw a lot of wierd arbitrary lines...

The magical glasses variant I like is still impervious to control and posession, but instead uses the suite of sense death and destruction and paranormal vision.

A magic item with animal metamorphosis and polymorph...
A magic item with borrow power and regeneration ultima
A magic item with intangibility and invisibility
And my favorite funky magic item: speed tasking and rainmaker...

I know at least one player at my table that would love to get his hands on some supertech gloves with rocket fist...
Certainly all the expulsion powers can be built into pistols or rifles...
Catastrophic system failure would be a fun one to put into a device...

I have made a list of all what... 409 powers from the published books and notated them on whether I feel they are appropriate as a tech or fit more in my mind's view of a magic item instead... But again its all arbitrary and subjective.

The idea that someone out there is mass producing pistols with the disintegration superpower seems hillarious to me... natural 1 and the gun misfires, injuring or disintegrating its user... Finding these just lying around all over the place would be I'd think rather common all things considered. Such temptation!
Last edited by Vincent Takeda on Wed Jul 01, 2015 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

abe wrote:how would you fine people techafy the undead superpower?
See the movies:
Universal Soldier
Resident Evil 1-????

Simply, chemistry / radiation / voodoo science, nanobots and an implanted artificial intelligence.
SpiritInterface
Hero

Unread post by SpiritInterface »

NMI wrote:
abe wrote:how would you fine people techafy the undead superpower?
See the movies:
Universal Soldier
Resident Evil 1-????

Simply, chemistry / radiation / voodoo science, nanobots and an implanted artificial intelligence.

Frankenstein, re-animator...
Veni Vidi Vici
Una Salus Victis Nullam Sperare Salutem
Sic vis pacem, Para bellum
Audentes fortuna iuvat
O Tolmon Nika
Oderint Dum Metuant
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

what about magic weapons as high or ultra-tech?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

abe wrote:what about magic weapons as high or ultra-tech?

That's too broad; 'magic weapons'.

To a primitive, vibrolades, laser-swords, monomolecular-edged blades, and chainsaws are magic weapons. Or even steel weapons that don't break like woodm stone, or bone weapons. Heck, a steel GOLF CLUB could be seen a 'magic weapon' to somebody more used to flaked stone.
Then there are 'boomsticks' and 'fire arrows'.
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

taalismn wrote:
abe wrote:what about magic weapons as high or ultra-tech?

That's too broad; 'magic weapons'.

To a primitive, vibrolades, laser-swords, monomolecular-edged blades, and chainsaws are magic weapons. Or even steel weapons that don't break like woodm stone, or bone weapons. Heck, a steel GOLF CLUB could be seen a 'magic weapon' to somebody more used to flaked stone.
Then there are 'boomsticks' and 'fire arrows'.

sorry I meant enchanted weapons/objects.
think a flameblades and such.
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I have four nanopreprogrammed temporary genetic modifiers.

Bricks: 1D6+18 hour duration.
Superhuman Strength. Double existing strength.
Near invulnerablility. Double hp, times 10 sdc.
Jump ps times ten.
Lift and carry times three.
Only works on humans.no exceptions normal humans.

Blaster: 1D4+14 hour duration.
Aps Electricity.
Control Elemental Force:Air.
Spin at High Velocity.
Any sdc being Is able to benefit.

Sneak: 3D6 hour duration.
Nightstalking.
Concealment.
Intangibility.

Ultra: 1D4 hour duration.
FireBlast.
Invulnerablility.
Supernatural strength.
Quantum Teleport.
Regrow limbs.
Energy wings:Fire.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

say652 wrote:I have four nanopreprogrammed temporary genetic modifiers.

Bricks: 1D6+18 hour duration.
Superhuman Strength. Double existing strength.
Near invulnerablility. Double hp, times 10 sdc.
Jump ps times ten.
Lift and carry times three.
Only works on humans.no exceptions normal humans.

The way you described "Near Invulnerability", you would be better off just calling this "Extra-Ordinary Physical Endurance".
Jump PS times 10??? I assume you mean inches? yards? Feet?
Lift and Carry times three what?

say652 wrote:Sneak: 3D6 hour duration.
Nightstalking.
Concealment.
Intangibility.
What is "Concealment"?

say652 wrote:Ultra: 1D4 hour duration.
FireBlast.
Invulnerablility.
Supernatural strength.
Quantum Teleport.
Regrow limbs.
Energy wings:Fire.

You should denote where powers are coming from if not from the books. Linking to specific powers, would be polite.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Under my soda power there's the mighty burp, how would you duplicate that using super tech?
howdey folks!!!!!!!!
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

What about using the embued hero category?

Having up to 8 minor powers for a limited time would be super handy. Lol.
abe
Hero

Unread post by abe »

Any new thoughts on this subject?
13eowulf
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by 13eowulf »

Locked due to Necro-Posting, more than 7 (Seven!) years between posts.
Oderint Dum Metuant.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”