Prometheus Armor Package

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

NMI
OLD ONE

Prometheus Armor Package

Unread post by NMI »

The following is something I worked up for a player in my HU2 campaign. The player is a Hardware: Analytical/Super Invention power category.
The ideas for the various parts of this "suit" came from multiple source; Gramercy Island, Century Station, my own head and various other places.

Prometheus Armor
Type: Wire-Framed Exoskeleton Mesh Suit
Power Supply: Kinetic Energy Reclamation Generators + Onboard Battery (charged wirelessly)
Armor Rating: 15 (Natural/ Robotic)
Structural Damage Capacity: 300
Legs:
• Speed – Increase natural speed x5.
• Leaping – 30’ across x 15’ high
Arms:
• Strength – Extraordinary Physical Strength: 30
• Carry – 3,000lbs
• Lift – 6,000lbs
Special Systems:
• Reflex Enhancement Technology (equal to the Lightning Reflexes minor super-ability)
• Kinetic Underlay (all “physical” attacks do ½ damage).
Bonuses:
• +3 Initiative, +1 Attack, +3 Auto-dodge, +1 Disarm, +2 Roll w/Punch/Fall, +3 Pull Punch, +15 Damage.

Prometheus Helmet

The helmet is constructed out of nanotechnology. It can shift forms from a full helmet to a “loose” mask of sorts that can collapse into a somewhat thick collar about 2” high and ½” thick.

The computer system that controls the helmet is an Advanced Artificial Intelligence that refers to itself as “Prometheus”.

Armor Rating: 14 (Natural/Robotic)
Structural Damage Capacity: 200
A.I.:
• Type – Advanced Artificial Intelligence
• I.Q. – 20
• Name – Prometheus
• Skills – Communication & Science Programs.
Systems:
• Combat Computer
• Bio-Scan (self)
• Micro Radar: Identify & Track up to 15 targets
• Laser Targeting System: +3 Strike for ranged attacks.
• Multi-Optics System: Night vision, Infrared, Ultra-violet & Thermal vision. All with a range of 3,000 feet.
• Telescopic Vision: x10 magnification. 2 mile range.
• 1 Terabyte hard drive. Universal Language Translator. Wireless digital modem.
• Frequency Absorption (equal to the minor super ability).
• Bonuses: +3 Initiative, +2 strike (melee), +5 strike (ranged), +1 parry, +1 dodge

Prometheus Gauntlet Defense System

Armor Rating: 12 (Natural/Robotic)
Structural Damage Capacity: 130
Weapon Modes –
• Variable Blade System
•• Katar Blade – 5D6 + 15. Bonus: +6 Strike, +7 Parry.
•• Wing Blade – 4D6 + 15. Bonus: +6 Strike, + 7 Parry, Lower defenders A.R. by 2 points.
•• Shield – 3D6 + 15. Bonus: +4 Strike, +5 Parry.

• Variable Frequency Laser Cannon Assault System
•• Laser – 1D4*10 Range: 3,000 feet. Bonus: +8 Aimed.
•• 3 Shot Pulse Spread – 5D6 Range 2,000 feet. Bonus: +6 (considered a burst). Target is -4 dodge.
•• Flashlight – No damage. Can go from standard brightness to flood light strength.
•• Blinding Flash – Same as spell.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
NMI
OLD ONE

Re: Prometheus Armor Package

Unread post by NMI »

Added to the Black Vault Wiki
I should note that the bonuses to strike/parry by the various weapon systems are based on the NPC's/PC's attributes and skills.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Sweet. I like it!
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
wolfsgrin
Adventurer

Unread post by wolfsgrin »

Hmmm. Maybe there's something to this Deific thing :P
again nice work
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

I am working on another idea "Legion" Armor and "Centurion" Armor (which was originally called "Sentinel" Armor, but for obvious reasons, I had to change it).
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

Keep up the good work!
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
TechnoGothic
Knight

Unread post by TechnoGothic »

Sweet I like it.
I have been thinking of creating a Hardware/Robotics character too. I love the Exosuits.
Do you combine the budgets ?

I've been thinking of calling my new one "The Spartan Armor" and gearing it for total warefare. Max out armor/ar, weapon systems all over it, etc... :D
TechnoGothic
END OF LINE

"The best things in life are to crush your enemies, drive them before you, and hear the lamentations of their women."-Conan
PapaMambo
Dungeon Crawler
Location: Winter-peg.. or Winnipeg for those not in the know..

Unread post by PapaMambo »

Mr. Deific NMI wrote:I am working on another idea "Legion" Armor and "Centurion" Armor (which was originally called "Sentinel" Armor, but for obvious reasons, I had to change it).

Just looking over some old dead threads and I had to comment on this - what would be wrong with calling your armor "Sentinel" armor?? AFAIK there is no copyright on the name Sentinel anywhere.. It's like trying to trademark "You're fired". It's a common phrase that people have been using for years - I see no difference between that and your armor.

If you were to create a giant mutant catching robot and call it a Sentinel, then I could understand your trepidation..

Personally, I think these forums take things a little too far sometimes. I understand no conversions, but using the name most people associate with one thing and applying it to another shouldn't be a big deal. If I decided to create a character and call him Wolverine, would I not be able to post it? What if that same character was an actual mutant wolverine (fur and all) that had nothing to do with our favorite adamanium laced mutant? Granted - it isn't the most unique of names, but it doesn't infringe on anything.. I might even make light of it during intro's.. "For the last time - NO, I'm not THAT Wolverine!! You got the wrong guy officer!"
"It isn't the bullet with his name on it that the professional soldier has to fear. It's all those addressed 'To Whom it May Concern'" - Anonymous
Hawk258
Adventurer
Comment: Chuckie Sullivan "Applesauce B!%@#"

Unread post by Hawk258 »

wer Supply: Kinetic Energy Reclamation Generators + Onboard Battery (charged wirelessly)

NMI, is there such a system in the books if so can you share those pages and books or if they are your idea might i get further details? I am working on a similar mdc d3o armor that would use some of this aspect except as regeneration.
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Hawk258 wrote:
wer Supply: Kinetic Energy Reclamation Generators + Onboard Battery (charged wirelessly)

NMI, is there such a system in the books if so can you share those pages and books or if they are your idea might i get further details? I am working on a similar mdc d3o armor that would use some of this aspect except as regeneration.
Nope, I sort of made this up. There is a similar system in one of the newer Robotech RPG books... I think for CVR-3 Riding armor, though I can't confirm as I don't have the books with me at work.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

NMI wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:

Nope, I sort of made this up. There is a similar system in one of the newer Robotech RPG books... I think for CVR-3 Riding armor, though I can't confirm as I don't have the books with me at work.

I'll see what i can find thanks
When I post an idea, game balance is my only concern. For rules see rule zero and for canon look at RUE PAGE 372. Only 2 questions need consideration is it fun? Is it balanced?

Gamblers fallacy:(Example): Coin flips are the most common example of the gambler's fallacy. For instance, in a game of heads or tails, many people will bet on tails if there have been several heads in a row.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Hawk258 wrote:
NMI wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:

The idea behind the Kinetic Energy Reclamation Generators was that as the armor/wearer moved, tiny, micro-generators within key join areas of the suit would move/spin/build up a charge of energy. The same energy would then be used to charge/top-off the suits batteries. Plain and simple.
Hawk258
Adventurer

Unread post by Hawk258 »

NMI wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
NMI wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:

The idea behind the Kinetic Energy Reclamation Generators was that as the armor/wearer moved, tiny, micro-generators within key join areas of the suit would move/spin/build up a charge of energy. The same energy would then be used to charge/top-off the suits batteries. Plain and simple.

Makes sense, my idea was more along the molecular level as the kinetic energy would actually cause the bonds to reform (a few steps up from real world d3o)

fbdaury
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by fbdaury »

I really like the idea, I just have two questions, related to the Shield-
1)Shouldn't it have a higher Parry bonus than a blade?
2)What is the SDC of the Shield itself? I ask because use of it to parry energy/projectile attacks would likely whittle it down, even if it took reduced damage from parried attacks.

Otherwise, nice work!
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

1. The bonuses listed above were based on the PC that I designed the suit for. He/She did not have W.P. Shield. I can edit the original post to reflect JUST the bonuses from the suit/weapon systems.
2. The shield: I would say about 50-75 SDC. This is based on the SDC of the "Air Densifier Pistol/Wrist Band"? Keep in mind, the shield should probably only actually take damage when it is specifically targeted.
Ranger
Adventurer
Comment: Tucker Did It!

Unread post by Ranger »

NMI wrote:1. The bonuses listed above were based on the PC that I designed the suit for. He/She did not have W.P. Shield. I can edit the original post to reflect JUST the bonuses from the suit/weapon systems.2. The shield: I would say about 50-75 SDC. This is based on the SDC of the "Air Densifier Pistol/Wrist Band"? Keep in mind, the shield should probably only actually take damage when it is specifically targeted.

Yes please.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

NMI wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:
NMI wrote:
Hawk258 wrote:

You know, you could use thermal collection to the same effect, gain more power while you're at it, and it works on existing real world technology. I used that idea for my Grey Fox combat armor and Kage Power Armor suits. That way, even a sleeping body is recharging the battery. In science fiction, that was the basis of the war between the bots and humans in the Matrix films.

The real life version using body heat isn't terribly efficient, which is why it isn't in large scale use, but engineering students keep tinkering with it. Deep space probes, ones that are too far away from the sun to use solar power, use heat generated from a nuclear material source and a thermal couple for power.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

The Artist Formerly wrote:
NMI wrote:

You know, you could use thermal collection to the same effect, gain more power while you're at it, and it works on existing real world technology. I used that idea for my Grey Fox combat armor and Kage Power Armor suits. That way, even a sleeping body is recharging the battery. In science fiction, that was the basis of the war between the bots and humans in the Matrix films.

The real life version using body heat isn't terribly efficient, which is why it isn't in large scale use, but engineering students keep tinkering with it. Deep space probes, ones that are too far away from the sun to use solar power, use heat generated from a nuclear material source and a thermal couple for power.
Yes, but I wasn't trying to create your Grey Fox Combat Armor or Kage Power Armor [never saw this one posted]. I could have done any number of things, including "handwavium", but I didn't. Instead I used the idea that I posted. I believe I got the idea for the power system from one of the armors in the revised Robotech RPG. This was also an expansion of the same concept that I used for a Power / Combat Staff I posted in the Hardware Unlimited thread.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

NMI wrote:Yes, but I wasn't trying to create your Grey Fox Combat Armor or Kage Power Armor [never saw this one posted]. I could have done any number of things, including "handwavium", but I didn't. Instead I used the idea that I posted. I believe I got the idea for the power system from one of the armors in the revised Robotech RPG. This was also an expansion of the same concept that I used for a Power / Combat Staff I posted in the Hardware Unlimited thread.

Okay. It was just a suggestion. Something to keep in mind for when you revise your ideas for the next go round or if you submit them for a Rifter article or maybe your own source book. Not to mention if you need to sever the links and references to Robotech because the license goes away again. The thermocouple is a real thing and I'm not talking about Lady Arson and Zippo from Rifts Mercs. The basics were invented or discovered by some German guy back in the late 1700s. I was looking at the Wiki article when I posted the first post. NASA uses the system I described for real space probes. It works on any temperature difference at all. I always like building my game tech stuff with roots in real science. Feels more authentic and my GMs both like the effort to explain these things, even though in game terms, such efforts are meaningless. As you point out, handwavium says we can do whatever we want. But if you wrote up a mark 2 (the next go round), and noted that the design team had moved from the motion feed back recharge set to a thermocouple system to achieve the same effect with fewer moving parts, you could note a higher SDC (fewer moving parts=harder to break). Thus using flavor text to support a second model, which could be featured on the center of the cover art for Nimmy's weapons vault, book 2 ($19.95 US/$22.95 Canadian, supplies are limited order now!).

The Kage armor series were a bunch of the power armors my First Analytical Genius built and wore for the Los Angles Ark Angels group. I posted about the suits a looooooooooong time ago. Nothing special, but I haven't reposted any of that stuff for fear of it looking too Iron-manish. Iron-manly? Whatever. He'd seem like a conversion in light of the more recent marvel movies rather then work inspired by Bill Coffin's writing. I took the name Kage from the concept of using the armor to protect the pilot from crashing while using the jet pack flight system, a sort of roll cage. Bu there was already a comic character named Cage, so I swapped a letter.
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”