Aliens Unlimited

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Do we want more aliens written up and posted?

Yes
77%
No
14%
Don't care
10%

Total votes: 73

Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

Re: Aliens Unlimited

Unread post by Severus Snape »

I'm feeling creative. Not really a good thing as I don't have a creative bone in my body (unlike some people out here who, thankfully, are creative geniuses - yes, I'm looking at Iczer, Stone Gargoyle, Nimmy, and Leon Kennedy). I might try my hand at inventing a new alien race this weekend. Maybe.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

For a genius, I am suffering a lack of creativity of late. Any suggestions for new aliens people would like to see written up?
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Severus Snape
Hero
Comment: You ought to be careful. People will think you're....up....to something.

I was sick last weekend, and was therefore unable to post as much as I would have liked. I did, however, get an idea for a new type of alien that I'd like to post now. Most people are looking at this as a stand-alone, independent race of aliens. I, however, have not forgotten that even symbiotes can be an alien race. I therefore give you...

Elliipi
A tiny,worm-like organism not even considered to be the most dominant form of life on its own planet, this small slug is not your average hook of fish food. Ellipisarius Antesapiens, as named by the scientific community on Earth, is a completely sentient, highly intelligent, and somewhat compassionate (although mind-numbingly devastating) symbiotic organism from a planet that most of mankind has never even heard of (and less than .0000000000001% of man has even been within 50 light years of).

History & Origins
5 trillion years before Earth was formed, a small planet no larger than our own moon was already in its final throes of death due to hundreds of years of war. The dominant life forms, the Araguulaskis, were slowing destroying their own planet by killing each other off. A scientist in their history had found the answer to the very question that they were all seeking - how to live forever. In order for one to live forever, 2 had to die. And this started the largest war that part of their galaxy had ever seen. Who was to live, and who was to die? Nobody could answer that question, so everybody was constantly trying to kill everyone else off. Eventually, the last of the Araguulaskis died off, learning only in death that no one being could handle the responsibility of living forever.

What was left of the planet was a barren, almost life-less rock floating through space. It's natural orbit had been altered so that only 1 side of the planet ever received sunlight, and that was not enough to even keep the winters warm. All that remained was a tiny, underground community of the Elliipi, who had dedicated themselves to trying to right what had happened on their planet. The Araguulaskis had, over the course of the war, forgotten about them, and now that they were all dead the Elliipi were free to come out and try to rebuild. But they depended on other life forms to do for them what they could not do for themselves, and seeing the planet completely barren, they realized that they may too die off.

Leaving Their Home, and Spread through the Galaxy
Just when all hope seemed lost, a miracle appeared on the horizon. A small ship, bearing scouts and colonists, crash-landed on the small rock. Sensing that life may be aboard, the remaining Elliipi decided to crawl forth and investigate. Once upon the ship, they found that it indeed did harbor life, but the alien beings inside were not smart enough to fix their own ship in order to get off the planet. The Elliipi then decided that in order to save not only themselves but to save the wreckage survivors, a drastic measure had take place. The Elliipi, through a symbiotic relationship, took control of the survivors by wrapping themselves around the equivalent of the hypothalmus and cerebral cortex. With their superior intelligence, they were able to repair the wrecked ship and leave the planet.

Since then, the Elliipi have been travelling throughout the cosmos, mostly as unwanted cerebral guests, but providing advanced knowledge and science to those whom they inhabit. It didn't take long, either, for the Elliipi to realize that taking control of others in this way was the best way to live, and through their own process of reproduction they have been able to inhabit entire planets, stopping wars, bringing an end to famine, and generating a sort of peace throughout.

Symbiotic Relationship
The Elliipi form a symbiotic relationship with its host, providing mutual benefit for both. The Elliipi enter the host body (only 1 Elliipi per host body) through any opening it can find, preferring those nearest the brain. It then wraps itself around the hypothalmus and parts of the cerebral cortex. This gives the being complete control of the host, able to control its actions, emotions, and even its thoughts.

Elliipi Attributes
MA: 5d6+6
ME: 5d6+6
IQ: 5d6+6
PB: 5 (it's a slug)
PE: 5
PS: 2 (Although it is able to wrap around the hypothalmus/cortex area with enough strength to not be removable)
PP: 3
Spd: 2

Benefits Bestowed
Due to the presence of the Elliipi, and the surge of adrenaline that is constantly produced, the host receives the minor super ability of Adrenaline Surge, except that this ability is permanently "turned on". The Elliipi must concentrate at the expense of 2 actions per melee round to turn this power off.

A serious side effect of the amount of adrenaline running through the hosts body is that the body tends to run hot all the time. The Elliipi have been able to devise a way to grant the minor super ability of Immune to Fire/Heat to counter-act this effect.

An unfortunate side-effect of the Elliipi taking control is that the host body wants to shut down, but the Elliipi don't want that to happen. Too many of the early hosts died during the process, but the Elliipi have found a way to counter that too. The host body is granted the ability of Zombie Flesh, which tricks the host body into thinking it's already dead, giving up the fight to die. Nobody is sure how this is accomplished.

Unfortunate Side Effects
These are fairly serious, and should be considered by anyone who is thinking of being a host body.

First, the hosts intelligence is supplanted by the intelligence of the Elliipi. MA, ME, and IQ are all replaced by those of the Elliipi. The host personality no longer exists in the normal sense, and is instead relegated to being an unwilling voyeur in the life that the body is now living.

Secondly, while not immortal, the Elliipi are known to live for EXTENDED periods of time. Average life span of the Elliipi is just around 1,000 years, meaning most hosts die hundreds of years before the Elliipi dies. When the host is near death (within 6 months), the Elliipi will seek out a suitable new host to replace the current host with. When it does so, it waits until the moment is right and then leaves its current host for its new host. This has the very unfortunate side effect of killing the current host as the host body has survived for so long with the constant boost of adrenaline that it simply shuts down without it.

Diet
The Elliipi feed on emotions and adrenaline, except during times of reproduction, which makes heroes perfect hosts. The problem is that feeding on adrenaline has a side effect for the host, in the form of losing 1 point of PE per calendar year. This loss is permanent and is not reversible outside of divine intervention or magical use. Over time, this will kill the host body (see above for finding a new host).

Reproduction and Death
Elliipi reproduce by going into a type of torpor for a period of time (roughly 3-5 earth year), during which time they replicate and divide multiple times. When the torpor-like state has ended, only 2 Elliipi resurface - the others are consumed by the strongest two.

As stated, Elliipi live for around 1,000 years. However, nobody has ever witnessed an Elliipi dying, and nobody has ever tracked one from the time of reproduction through natural death. The amount of time that they live is pure speculation based on stories, accounts from space travelers, and myth. It is speculated that if one can find their original home planet, you may be able to trace their origins and true life-spans...
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Good one,maybe people can come up with ther own Alien race,with it own planet,ships and weapons.

So lest start making Aliens people.
DtMK
Hero

Unread post by DtMK »

I've been toying around with a new Mega alien race, something comparable to the Blhaze and even using its experience tables, but more solid. I'll have to write it up.
Bob Herzog from KoDT put it best: HOODY HOO! http://www.facebook.com/manyfacesofdave
Severus Snape
Hero

No comments on my new symbiotic race? Nobody has anything to add? Wow - I AM a thread-killer...
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Severus Snape wrote:No comments on my new symbiotic race? Nobody has anything to add? Wow - I AM a thread-killer...

I liked the concept but have not had sufficient time as to form an opinion. It looked intriguing.
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Interesting idea. I like using the symbiant category to create aliens like this, though, and would not generally stat one out like this. You seem to be combining the concept of an alien, a symbiant and a super-invention.
Severus Snape
Hero

Stone Gargoyle wrote:Interesting idea. I like using the symbiant category to create aliens like this, though, and would not generally stat one out like this. You seem to be combining the concept of an alien, a symbiant and a super-invention.

I like the idea of creating new aliens, but people seem to forget that symbiotes can be alien races as well. So I just went in a different direction than most people. :D
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

AU3 would be a good idea.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gaby wrote:AU3 would be a good idea.

Yes, I believe they have that coming out in the form of an Atorian Empire book.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

If the do the Atorian Empire,After it will they do the Other Factions like FAR?
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

Perhaps, but that is not what this thread was initially about.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I like New Aliens,ther enough space inbetween to big AU,s powers for a number of single race nations,going from still planet bond,to having a few soler systems.
When you make New Aliens,I hope you add things like ther Government,ther military and Ships.
But some of My aliens look like the Ones from Sci-fi,s movies like Star wars,Star trek and so On,but I change the name and some other things.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants

gaby wrote:I like New Aliens,ther enough space in between to big AU's powers for a number of single race nations,going from still planet bond,to having a few soler systems.When you make New Aliens,I hope you add things like their Government,their military and Ships.
I try to focus on their physiology and technology first and consider things like their government and such to be secondary.
gaby wrote:But some of My aliens look like the Ones from Sci-fi,s movies like Star wars,Star trek and so On,but I change the name and some other things.
You cannot post those in here, as they would be considered conversions.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I do Not Post them.
KillWatch
Champion

Unread post by KillWatch »

yes but less "seeder" aliens where everything looks like something from earth
and more Barlow's Guide to the Universe kind of aliens
The entire experiment may ultimately not work. But as Tiger Woods tears into the springbok, his mouth crimson with blood, he looks to have all the makings of a natural-born killer.
SolCannibal
Champion

Unread post by SolCannibal »

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Mephisto wrote:
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Mephisto wrote:I would not sticky it, until we get more alien species...as it is, aliens aren't really interesting to me, so I don't know how much I'd be contributing to this thread.

So demons and Oni don't qualify as aliens?

technically yes, but style wise, they don't come across as aliens. Aliens by my definition antagonize and fight humans, they don't infiltrate and control them the same way demons and Oni do.

You seem to want to distinguish interdimensional and intergalactic aliens as seperate, but really they are the same thing. By your definition, Visitors and Cylons are not aliens.

The differentiation seem to be one more by methodology than any particular origin i would say, equating demons, deevils, Oni and "diabolic" beings with a talent for corruption, infiltration, manipulation and subversion beside their inhuman appearance and mindset, while "aliens" would rely more in natural brute or military-technological power.

It is an interesting take on things too, as by these terms brutal creatures like Gargoyles, Brodkill and a number of "infernal" creatures might count as "alien" alongside Xenomorphs for example, while creatures reliant body-snatching, mind-control, shapeshifting and similarly insidious tool of domination, like Skrulls in Marvel Comics, Dopplegangers, Lotha and the psychic Zylik in Villains Unlimited & Galaxy Guide) be they from Hades or Pluto would certainly fit the "demon" bill, dimension-hopping resources or lack of them notwithstanding, with groups like Splugorth or the Vorlon & Shadows from B5 among others standing somewhere between both. Scientology and similar groups might count as demon front by that logic too.

Apollyon7 wrote:Land of the Damned (PFRPG, pg109) has a great random monster creation tables that would be useful to create wild and creepy alien creatures. Background info on where they come from and what they're like would be up to you.

The tables from Land of the Damned go well with everything. :mrgreen:
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

Maybe you can add the Governments for the Aliens you make or ther military.
SolCannibal
Champion

gaby wrote:Maybe you can add the Governments for the Aliens you make or their military.

Possible, but then some people prefer them vague and open-ended like that.
Also, what is to say a species will unify its states as it reaches for outer space and not the opposite?
Humanity itself has an interesting story of expanding, warring and nation-building in the face of "new worlds", without even leaving their homeworld. ;)

Or looking at it from another angle, who's to say for example that one or more of the "simian", "feline", "canid" or human-seeming people described in Aliens Unlimited are not branches of some older lost stellar civilization or were "seeded" in a variety of worlds across the galaxy (e/or Megaverse) by some transdimensional entities?

Old Ones, Splugorth, runaways from Mechanoid attacks, Mumm-ra or a bunch of other alternatives are possible.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

I hope they do the Atorian Empire and FAR,s books.

Maybe Aliens Unlimited2 with New Race and Ships,plus a time line update on the races from AU.

What do you think?
SolCannibal
Champion

gaby wrote:I hope they do the Atorian Empire and FAR,s books.

Maybe Aliens Unlimited2 with New Race and Ships,plus a time line update on the races from AU.

What do you think?

Well, the books and forums already offer a lot of options to tinker with - and wasn't there some stuff on the Atorians in one of the Rifters? I think it was previously mentioned even...
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

SolCannibal wrote:

What do you think?

Well, the books and forums already offer a lot of options to tinker with - and wasn't there some stuff on the Atorians in one of the Rifters? I think it was previously mentioned even...
2 Rifters. One on the Clan Thropo and character build options for the Imperial Apes. Another was a general overview of the Empire. Although both are written by the author of the Atorian Empire, they are minuscule compared to the unedited manuscript I have next to my home PC. :-)
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Megaversal Ambassador Coordinator
My GoFund Me - Help Me Walk Again
SolCannibal
Champion

NMI wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

What do you think?

2 Rifters. One on the Clan Thropo and character build options for the Imperial Apes. Another was a general overview of the Empire. Although both are written by the author of the Atorian Empire, they are minuscule compared to the unedited manuscript I have next to my home PC. :-)

I remember the one on the Thropos - must admit that the direction the author took with them, retconning the Thropos as presented originally (ronin movement and all) into a splinter state-faction of their race that is not even a part of the Empire, felt terribly underwhelming to me...

Hope the legendary unedited manuscript covers new ground instead of burning bridges and original ideas for the sake of fancy & retcon.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

So the general article in Rifter 14 is actually cannon (of sorts)? I recall I did not like that article and gladly dismissed it due to being Rifter material.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
SolCannibal
Champion

Glistam wrote:So the general article in Rifter 14 is actually cannon (of sorts)? I recall I did not like that article and gladly dismissed it due to being Rifter material.

AFAIK, Rifter material only counts as canon when outright said so in an article's introduction.
Can't remember it being so in either AU article, but it's better to check out if you want to.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

SolCannibal wrote:
NMI wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

What do you think?

I remember the one on the Thropos - must admit that the direction the author took with them, retconning the Thropos as presented originally (ronin movement and all) into a splinter state-faction of their race that is not even a part of the Empire, felt terribly underwhelming to me...

Hope the legendary unedited manuscript covers new ground instead of burning bridges and original ideas for the sake of fancy & retcon.

I think you might be remembering it wrong. maybe/maybe not.
It takes the Thropo as a whole and gives an actual reason for there being a "ronin" state.
Thropo who did not want to side with or become partners/slaves to the Atorians were mostly given the option to leave. As the main Thropo considered the Atorians their new masters, those Thropo who left became "masterless" or "Ronin". In my mind it adds more depth and detail to why there is a Ronin movement in the first place.
"Freedom is the recognition that no single person, no single authority or government has a monopoly on the truth, but that every individual life is infinitely precious, that every one of us put on this world has been put there for a reason and has something to offer."
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

SolCannibal wrote:
Glistam wrote:So the general article in Rifter 14 is actually cannon (of sorts)? I recall I did not like that article and gladly dismissed it due to being Rifter material.

AFAIK, Rifter material only counts as canon when outright said so in an article's introduction.
Can't remember it being so in either AU article, but it's better to check out if you want to.

I know it's not technically cannon, but if the person who wrote and submitted the Atorian sourcebook to Palladium is the same one who wrote the Rifter articles, that gives them a little more weight than I originally assumed.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
SolCannibal
Champion

NMI wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:
NMI wrote:
SolCannibal wrote:

What do you think?

I think you might be remembering it wrong. maybe/maybe not.
It takes the Thropo as a whole and gives an actual reason for there being a "ronin" state.
Thropo who did not want to side with or become partners/slaves to the Atorians were mostly given the option to leave. As the main Thropo considered the Atorians their new masters, those Thropo who left became "masterless" or "Ronin". In my mind it adds more depth and detail to why there is a Ronin movement in the first place.

Except the "ronin" were never a state - they were a civil disobedience movement within Thropos society that took form as a reaction to issues on the matter of a warrior's honor and duty and the personal misgivings of the movement's founder about his people's service as vassals of the belligerent expansionist power that is the Atorian Empire, thoughts and teachings partly influenced by his contact with a mysterious alien culture from unknown space (aka samurai literature & stuff on Earth).

Then comes Rifter and tells us that no, those are NOT the real Thropos, but a "state in exile" amidst the FAR, what makes no sense at all, seriously, what movement would accuse the FAR of being evil belligerent imperialists - and the Thropos in the Empire we get are a basically aping the Atorian high-tech artificial matriarchy.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

SolCannibal wrote:Except the "ronin" were never a state - they were a civil disobedience movement within Thropos society that took form as a reaction to issues on the matter of a warrior's honor and duty and the personal misgivings of the movement's founder about his people's service as vassals of the belligerent expansionist power that is the Atorian Empire, thoughts and teachings partly influenced by his contact with a mysterious alien culture from unknown space (aka samurai literature & stuff on Earth).

Then comes Rifter and tells us that no, those are NOT the real Thropos, but a "state in exile" amidst the FAR, what makes no sense at all, seriously, what movement would accuse the FAR of being evil belligerent imperialists - and the Thropos in the Empire we get are a basically aping the Atorian high-tech artificial matriarchy.
I am trying to see the difference where things break and your point of view, but I am not seeing it.

The original Thropos are those that existed in an area of space that eventually got conquered by the Atorians.
Clans of Thropo choose to stay with their new sisters and masters - The Atorian
Other Clasns of Thropo disagree or have misgivings of their people serving an alien power such as the Atorian.
Due to their races incredible sense of honor [and the fact that the Atorians didnt want to lose the lives of soooo many Thropos], those "Ronin" Thropo were allowed to leave peacefully --- as long as they left Atorian Space.

The original information is still accurate, but was/is lacking fluff and reasoning why they are now Ronin. That is all that changed.
SolCannibal
Champion

The key difference is EXACTLY that they are NOT an state or supposed to be one from their original write-up - the canon presentation of the ronins as a spark of disobedience and potential monkeywrench INSIDE the structure of the Atorian Empire and its rival vassal warrior races. The ronin are not "those who left" and a group in exile - they are a seed of unrest, one that could turn in one of rebellion depending on the actions of Thropos and Atorians. And because it was a movement and philosophy, it could resonate with other warrior races and influence or not groups inside them.

Anti-war, anti-draft university student protesters and youths migrating to other places to avoid conscription are NOT supposed to be Soviet Russia "because they have always been", if you catch my drift. A seed of la resistance does not a rival state on itself make.

The original fluff was pretty straightforward on their reason to be, the later stuff is that messed the issue.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

Nowhere does it say in the original material that the Ronin "STAYED" within the empire to carry on the good fight.

Why wouldnt they find a new place to live/call home for their families aka non-combatants?

We obviously do not see eye-to-eye on this, so I am bowing out.
SolCannibal
Champion

NMI wrote:Nowhere does it say in the original material that the Ronin "STAYED" within the empire to carry on the good fight.

Why wouldnt they find a new place to live/call home for their families aka non-combatants?

And nowhere in the original material that the Ronin were a movement "OUTSIDE" the empire.
Clearly we do not, but i already knew this.
NMI
OLD ONE

Unread post by NMI »

SolCannibal wrote:
NMI wrote:Nowhere does it say in the original material that the Ronin "STAYED" within the empire to carry on the good fight.

And nowhere in the original material that the Ronin were a movement "OUTSIDE" the empire.
Clearly we do not, but i already knew this.
:ok: Apparently so.

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”