Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Post subject: Re: We Gots The Skills
Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:05 pm

Champion

taalismn wrote:
And on the heels of Bloviate:

BS Recognition(Communications)
The ability to detect BS in speech and manner. This skill teaches the ability to quickly parse through stilted verbage and phraseology to diiscern true meanings, or the lack of substance. Pattern recognition in the ideas and themes of speech, as well as body language, is sharpened. Some practitioners of this skill develop low levels of cynicism and sarcastic manner when dealing with large amounts of BS(especially at political rallies). Also helps in resisting snowjobs, advertising, telemarketing, scams, kiss-ups, and bloviation sessions.
Modifiers: +15% if the Common Sense skill is also possessed
Bonuses:+1 to IQ. +10% to resisting Seduction attempts.+1 Save Vs Telemarketers at every level of experience.
Base Skill: 25%+5% per level of experience.
Note: The ability to detect science- or technical-based BS is covered by possessing knowledge of the fields being promoted/exploited by the BS

Please tell me that there is a Common Sense skill somewhere!

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:06 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
And on the heels of Bloviate:

BS Recognition(Communications)
The ability to detect BS in speech and manner. This skill teaches the ability to quickly parse through stilted verbage and phraseology to diiscern true meanings, or the lack of substance. Pattern recognition in the ideas and themes of speech, as well as body language, is sharpened. Some practitioners of this skill develop low levels of cynicism and sarcastic manner when dealing with large amounts of BS(especially at political rallies). Also helps in resisting snowjobs, advertising, telemarketing, scams, kiss-ups, and bloviation sessions.
Modifiers: +15% if the Common Sense skill is also possessed
Bonuses:+1 to IQ. +10% to resisting Seduction attempts.+1 Save Vs Telemarketers at every level of experience.
Base Skill: 25%+5% per level of experience.
Note: The ability to detect science- or technical-based BS is covered by possessing knowledge of the fields being promoted/exploited by the BS

I was gonna write one about mud-slinging but then I remember Rifter 28 already did that.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:00 pm

Priest

The Oh So Amazing Nate wrote:
[

Please tell me that there is a Common Sense skill somewhere!

Yes, yes, there is.

But here it is reposted, so you don't have to go out searching for it:

Common Sense(Technical)
Normally an inherent talent in people, though in some individuals and societies this has degraded so much as to require actual training in it to acquire it. Common Sense is the skill and knowledge to discern blatant boneheadedness, bad behavior, Darwinian counter-productive decisions, and self-preservation contradicting actions in others and avoid doing them oneself. Things like sticking live firecrackers in one’s mouth, driving while texting, lighting a hibachi in the middle of your deep-ply carpet, dialing ‘9-1-1’ for pizza delivery, or consistantly failing to punctuate sentences. Failing a Common Sense roll doesn’t necessarily automatically earn you a Darwin Award, but it may adversely affect others’ impressions of you, leading to a reputation for being simple-minded, possessed of poor judgment skills, or voted ‘least likely to be held up as a positive role model by your former school system’.
Common Sense carries with it the burden of being able to judge others; making one’s own Common Sense roll on an action, and then seeing another person badly botch theirs may require a subsequent roll under M.E. to avoid dumbstruck shock and Facepalming.
Base Skill: 50 % + 5% per level of experience

For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:23 pm

Champion

These last 4 skills (I'm counting common sense) have made my day. Thank you.

Razzinold wrote:
And the award for best witty retort to someone reporting a minor vehicular collision goes to:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Nate, you sir win the internet for today! You've definitely earned the "oh so amazing" part of your name today. :lol:

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:55 pm

Priest

Now just imagine the sort of game where a GM would actually ALLOW those skills to be taken....and USED.

Or maybe pity the GM.

"Let's see, the last ten NPCs who approached us all tried to sell us a line of patter to go do something insanely stupid and dangerous, but between the three f us we saw right through the BS and saw it for what it was...an attempt to lure us into great danger for little reward. Obviously, the GM is itching to try out the new world book with ourselves as the guinea pigs for the new monsters."
"I didn't know you had genre-savvy."
"I do. Right here at the bottom of my character sheet."
"QUIT METAGAMING ME!!!!!"
"Made your roll for savvy too."
"Nah, that was my psychology roll. If I'd made my genre roll, the GM would be obliged to let me look at his game plan notes."

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:58 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
13eowulf wrote:
Over-analyze Minutiae
This skill helps one select a single small part of an overall concept or idea, often an insignificant or irrelevant portion, and inflate its perceived significant through long winded and sometimes spread out lectures, rants, essays, or debates, with others who either also posses this skill, or are desperately trying to get the conversation back on point. The thoroughness, lengths, and depths one can go when focusing so narrowly to the exclusion of all other ideas knows almost no bounds. Requires the literacy skill to be applied to text or the written word. Add +6% to this skill if the Research skill is known by the character, and another +6% if the Creative Writing skill is also known by the character.
Base skill: 35%/25% +4% per level of experience. The first number is for identifying a sufficiently small enough portion of a given information or data set to exploit in this manner, the second is for one's ability to actually exploit this identified minutiae.
What skill category does this fall into, technical?

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:21 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

Stone Gargoyle wrote:
13eowulf wrote:
Over-analyze Minutiae
This skill helps one select a single small part of an overall concept or idea, often an insignificant or irrelevant portion, and inflate its perceived significant through long winded and sometimes spread out lectures, rants, essays, or debates, with others who either also posses this skill, or are desperately trying to get the conversation back on point. The thoroughness, lengths, and depths one can go when focusing so narrowly to the exclusion of all other ideas knows almost no bounds. Requires the literacy skill to be applied to text or the written word. Add +6% to this skill if the Research skill is known by the character, and another +6% if the Creative Writing skill is also known by the character.
Base skill: 35%/25% +4% per level of experience. The first number is for identifying a sufficiently small enough portion of a given information or data set to exploit in this manner, the second is for one's ability to actually exploit this identified minutiae.
What skill category does this fall into, technical?

I would say it should be put into both Communications and Technical categories.

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:40 pm

Champion

taalismn wrote:
Now just imagine the sort of game where a GM would actually ALLOW those skills to be taken....and USED.

Or maybe pity the GM.

"Let's see, the last ten NPCs who approached us all tried to sell us a line of patter to go do something insanely stupid and dangerous, but between the three f us we saw right through the BS and saw it for what it was...an attempt to lure us into great danger for little reward. Obviously, the GM is itching to try out the new world book with ourselves as the guinea pigs for the new monsters."
"I didn't know you had genre-savvy."
"I do. Right here at the bottom of my character sheet."
"QUIT METAGAMING ME!!!!!"
"Made your roll for savvy too."
"Nah, that was my psychology roll. If I'd made my genre roll, the GM would be obliged to let me look at his game plan notes."

When the players break the 4th wall lol!

Razzinold wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Priest

[q

When the players break the 4th wall lol!

When the GM's cool hits it like a bug against a windshield.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 1:21 pm

Priest

Trolling(Communcations)
The practiced skill of driving other people to the edge of aggravated frustration through deliberate action, usually through seemingly casual innuendo, apparently unthinking acts of intellectual malfeasance, and the intentional use of habits known to be berserk buttons for people. The skill version of the superpower Annoyance Factor, Trolling is a -deliberate- practice in techniques meant to agitate. Such actions include(but not limited to): always interrupting a conversation to answer one’s cellphone, use of verbal tics like ‘You know-’, blatant constant mis-punctuation; or refusol t spellCheck(note, however, that some people do any or all of the above, and then some, -unconsciously-, and so cannot be said to be overtly Trolling).
A successful troll roll means that the troll has either brilliantly zingered the intended target, or blown their cool. Successful trolling has the target writhing in frustration, wanting either an escape or an excuse to challenge and hopefully get rid of the troller, but unable to do so.
A failed roll means that; 01-75% the Trolling attempt has fallen flat and the intended targets have taken no notice of it, 76-95%, the troll has succeeded in turning general sentiment against themselves and look either like a total idiot or a bully, or 96-00% the Troll attempt has overstepped the line of good taste and the target and bystanders now have perfect justification to take action, such as banning the troll from a web forum, having a restraining order issued, having them arrested, or physically defenestrated(forget the challenge to a duel).
Base Skill: 25 % + 5% per level of experience. +5% from both Public Speaking and Performance.+7% from Over-Analyze Minutiae(for those troll efforts posing as in-depth and at-length critical analysis)

Acoustics(Communications/Science)
The study of the behavior of sound. Covers infrasound, ultrasound, echo effects, and speed and range of sound under different conditions.
Acoustics gives a +10% to the operation and interpretation of sound-based sensor systems such as sonar, and a +10% to designing and engineering sound-associated equipment, including sonar systems, synthesizers, ultrasound gear, stereo systems, and architecture meant to amplify sound(such as concert halls) or dampen it(anechoic chambers).
Base Skill: 35 % + 5% per level of experience.

Crystallography(Science)
The study of atoms in the formation and properties of (non-mystic) crystalline structures. Researchers become familiar with the laboratory means to analyze crystal structure, especially x-ray or neutron beam diffraction. Those with this skill can better predict the properties of various crystals and can better design(with advanced technology) artificial crystals, such as those used in some forms of microcircuitry.
Prerequisites: Chemistry, Chemistry: Analytical
Bonuses: +10% to Gemology for purposes of identifying counterfeit gemstones. +5% to Microcircuitry and Chemistry: Analytical.
Base Skill: 30%+5% per level of experience.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Last edited by taalismn on Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:09 pm

Champion

taalismn wrote:
Trolling(Communcations)
The practiced skill of driving other people to the edge of aggravated frustration through deliberate action, usually through seemingly casual innuendo, apparently unthinking acts of intellectual malfeasance, and the intentional use of habits known to be berserk buttons for people. The skill version of the superpower Annoyance Factor, Trolling is a -deliberate- practice in techniques meant to agitate. Such actions include(but not limited to): always interrupting a conversation to answer one’s cellphone, use of verbal tics like ‘You know-’, blatant constant mis-punctuation; or refusol t spellCheck(note, however, that some people do any or all of the above, and then some, -unconsciously-, and so cannot be said to be overtly Trolling).
A successful troll roll means that the troll has either brilliantly zingered the intended target, or blown their cool. Successful trolling has the target writhing in frustration, wanting either an escape or an excuse to challenge and hopefully get rid of the troller, but unable to do so.
A failed roll means that; 01-75% the Trolling attempt has fallen flat and the intended targets have taken no notice of it, 76-95%, the troll has succeeded in turning general sentiment against themselves and look either like a total idiot or a bully, or 96-00% the Troll attempt has overstepped the line of good taste and the target and bystanders now have perfect justification to take action, such as banning the troll from a web forum, having a restraining order issued, having them arrested, or physically defenestrated(forget the challenge to a duel).
Base Skill: 25 % + 5% per level of experience. +5% from both Public Speaking and Performance.

A skill in Trolling? Oh Mylanta, Christmas has come early this year!

taalismn wrote:
The study of the behavior of sound. Covers infrasound, ultrasound, echo effects, and speed and range of sound under different conditions.
Acoustics gives a +10% to the operation and interpretation of sound-based sensor systems such as sonar, and a +10% to designing and engineering sound-associated equipment, including sonar systems, synthesizers, ultrasound gear, stereo systems, and architecture meant to amplify sound(such as concert halls) or dampen it(anechoic chambers).
Base Skill: 35 % + 5% per level of experience.

I'm sure this could have all kinds of useful and fun applications. The one that springs to mind is somehow using it to silence/mute a Mage and prevent them from doing the vocal component of their spells. I can't figure out how they would do this, but it sounds like a neat idea.

taalismn wrote:
Crystallography(Science)
The study of atoms in the formation and properties of (non-mystic) crystalline structures. Researchers become familiar with the laboratory means to analyze crystal structure, especially x-ray or neutron beam diffraction. Those with this skill can better predict the properties of various crystals and can better design(with advanced technology) artificial crystals, such as those used in some forms of microcircuitry.
Prerequisites: Chemistry, Chemistry: Analytical
Bonuses: +10% to Gemology for purposes of identifying counterfeit gemstones. +5% to Microcircuitry and Chemistry: Analytical.
Base Skill: 30%+5% per level of experience.

Did anyone else immediately have Breaking Bad references pop up in their head when reading this?

Razzinold wrote:
The Oh So Amazing Nate!

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:06 pm

Priest

[

I'm sure this could have all kinds of useful and fun applications. The one that springs to mind is somehow using it to silence/mute a Mage and prevent them from doing the vocal component of their spells. I can't figure out how they would do this, but it sounds like a neat idea.?

Jail-room cell with a white noise generator that effectively silences speech?

And I wonder if I should have given a bonus to Trolling if Over-Analyze Minutiae is also taken? :P

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:24 pm

Megaversal® Ambassador

taalismn wrote:
[

I'm sure this could have all kinds of useful and fun applications. The one that springs to mind is somehow using it to silence/mute a Mage and prevent them from doing the vocal component of their spells. I can't figure out how they would do this, but it sounds like a neat idea.?

Jail-room cell with a white noise generator that effectively silences speech?

And I wonder if I should have given a bonus to Trolling if Over-Analyze Minutiae is also taken? :P

Yes, yes you should. But it has to be +3% or +7%, really anything BUT +5%

Huntmaster

Unread postPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:12 pm

Priest

13eowulf wrote:
[

Yes, yes you should. But it has to be +3% or +7%, really anything BUT +5%

Done and added. So if you're deliberately using acute scrutiny and overweening attention to detail to drag out a troll-stroll on somebody, having some experience in detail BB-stacking helps.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 11:51 am

Adventurer

Comment: I don't know what i'm doing, that's for realities GM to figure out
taalismn wrote:
Trolling(Communcations)

Crystallography(Science)

I have characters i'd take acoustics and crystallography on, especially for science or cause I have a sonic power. As for trolling...I think I have the subconscious version of this skill.

cool!

Unread postPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:21 pm

Priest

Nightmartree wrote:
[

I have characters i'd take acoustics and crystallography on, especially for science or cause I have a sonic power. As for trolling...I think I have the subconscious version of this skill.

cool!

Fear the UNconsciously natural trolls....Because you can't find a true excuse to render them ACTUALLY unconscious.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------

Unread postPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:17 pm

Priest

Forestry(Wilderness)
The practice of conscientious forest and woodland management. Aspects of forestry include identifying various forest types, niche environs, assessment of forest health, and evaluating risk factors in the environment. Practical applications of the skill include sustainable harvesting of forests, maintenance of game parks and wildlife conservation areas, replanting efforts, and managing forest fires(knowing how and when to set controlled burns for instance).
Requirements: Identify Plants and Fruits
Bonuses: +5% to Firefighting(specifically forest fires) and Landscaping.
Base Skill: 30%+5% per level of experience. +5% if Botany is also taken.

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------