Board index » SDC Worlds » Heroes Unlimited™

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 4:31 pm

Virtuoso of Variants

Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Magic and psionics are not popular with my players because they involve keeping track of points. They prefer powers which can be used as needed with almost no math involved. As a GM, I don't mind it, but neither is it used that extensively.

Unread postPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:02 pm

Palladin

Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.
Stone Gargoyle wrote:
Magic and psionics are not popular with my players because they involve keeping track of points. They prefer powers which can be used as needed with almost no math involved. As a GM, I don't mind it, but neither is it used that extensively.

Doesn't mean that the inclusion of magic is wrong though.
Nor does it mean that adding magic to HU was some sort of token "they added magic to make the game Megaversal/the added magic as a token nod to the phrase unlimited"
It just means that your players don't want to keep track of points. No more no less.
They are entirely different kettles of fish.
The first is a statement of how the game IS. The second is a statement of how your particular group of players prefer to play. UTTERLY different things.

And for the record I would say that the claim that magic needs to be totally re-written so that it doesn't need those points and that until it does so its useless is flat out wrong.
The magic system we have right now may not be what a specific group desires in their particular game. But unless people are able to realize that this is not "The best game system for me personally and if it doesn't do exactly what I want then it is wrong" then discussions like this just become ego contests where people show up, preach to everyone how they are Playing It Wrong, and condescend to tell them how to correct their games so that they can play correctly.
And yes, I see that a LOT in here. I saw it in this thread, I saw it in the power stunts thread, I see it in virtually every discussion about 'fixing' any part of the game. Too many people can't separate "what I want" from "what the game needs"

The Palladium universe has magic.
That is a flat, non-negotiable given.
The entire Palladium Megaverse has magic operate a certain way. That way is the reason that they changed magic in HU2. To reflect that it was being brought in line with how magic now operates in the Megaverse as a whole since the previous system was how magic operated at the time it was introduced.
Which is why I would like to reiterate that the calls for re-writing the magic system so that it 'works better' and 'represents the right way to play' are Not Going To Happen. The Palladium games are designed to be compatible with each other with a minimum of conversion. Its that whole "compatible with the entire Megaverse" thing. This is a deliberate feature not a bug. Making the HU game have a unique and totally incompatible magic system is going the opposite direction. Frankly one of the reasons that N&SS is not getting any more material is that it isn't very compatible with the rest of the game. Why would Palladium do that to one of their better selling lines? Why would the fans of the Heroes line WANT them to kill off/damage the HU line by deliberately making it no longer compatible with the rest of the Megaverse?

It's RIFTS Earth; the impossible happens before breakfast, twice on Tuesdays. And if it hasn't, then the GM hasn't tried hard enough and the players are lazy. :D -DhAkael

Knowledge is Power, Power Corrupts, Study Hard

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:40 am

Knight

A suggestion for a MU book would be small upgradables from the megaverse at large. Not revamping the whole spell caster, but adding more flavor along with more classes and spells. I'm talking little things that many people already bring into HU like 1-6 Atlantean tats, minor/major pyschics, minor talismans and so on. I've always treated things like the above similar to upgrades for Mega Heroes.

Unread postPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:39 am

Explorer

In the intro to the revised heroes unlimited Kevin said that when asked about why the original heroes unlimited had no magic he replied "I personally dislike magic in superhero comicbooks so I didnt put it in my game." But after receiving numerous letters about it he decided to give in and include it. This could explain why very little has been done with it.

Unread postPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:16 am

Priest

Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis
I admit I've found that if you make the power pool regen faster it helps a lot, you still can't have your mage or psychic toss everything at their problems all day, but it makes it so you're not looking at having to spend 5 hours to recoup the loss for one summoning of the power and let's you have the versatility of a broader range of abilities.

Daniel Stoker