Robots with Superpowers

If Super Heroes/Heroines & Super Villains are your game, discuss them here.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Bill
Megaversal® Ambassador

Robots with Superpowers

Unread post by Bill »

Under the existing rules, how would you go about imparting a superpower to a robotic category hero? There are many examples of this in the genre including androids that can manipulate their density, robots that can control the movement of air, and shape-shifting assassin bots.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Robots with Superpowers

Unread post by Glistam »

There's a couple different ways to handle this:

The closest to a canon way to handle this is to just use the Alien category. One of the options for race/appearance is to be an incredibly advanced robot. Then select superpowers and away you go. Most of your examples are easily emulatable through this method. Remember too, that Aliens don't have to mean from another world - they can be from another dimension or even another time! It's also just a good way to represent "highly advanced technology."

From a non-canon perspective, here's some thoughts:

1. Use the Eugenics category for baseline prices of powers, and for powers that write-up doesn't cover just go with a flat $500,000 per minor and $1,000,000 per major. Heavy G.M. discretion is needed here to avoid allowing game-breaking stuff to be done.

2. Use the super-invention category. It allows a hardware character with no budget to use this category instead, and I think it could be fair to allow a robot pilot or an A.I. access to this category if they sacrifice half their available budget. The results will be a weaker suit/model, but beefed up by the number of powers one can take.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Another option is to use the Rifter idea of the "dual class mega hero"
And make more or less a Mutant Robot. You can explain the 'mutation' as "unique technology, one off design, being bitten by a radioactive nano-assembler, mystic potion put in the clear coat..." what ever
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
taalismn
Priest

Unread post by taalismn »

eliakon wrote:Another option is to use the Rifter idea of the "dual class mega hero"
And make more or less a Mutant Robot. You can explain the 'mutation' as "unique technology, one off design, being bitten by a radioactive nano-assembler, mystic potion put in the clear coat..." what ever

As a GM I'd want to hear a good fluff story to justify it. Entertainment value for everybody rather than just "I wanna make things go boom or get lots of bonuses". :D
-------------
"Trouble rather the Tiger in his Lair,
Than the Sage among his Books,
For all the Empires and Kingdoms,
The Armies and Works that you hold Dear,
Are to him but the Playthings of the Moment,
To be turned over with the Flick of a Finger,
And the Turning of a Page"

--------Rudyard Kipling
------------
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

taalismn wrote:
eliakon wrote:Another option is to use the Rifter idea of the "dual class mega hero"

As a GM I'd want to hear a good fluff story to justify it. Entertainment value for everybody rather than just "I wanna make things go boom or get lots of bonuses". :D

I agree with Taal. If you want it make a good story why your char has it. You'll have a better chance getting it by the munchkin-o-meter.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

taalismn wrote:

Oh I certainly agree...
That is one of my perquisites for allowing in Mega-Hero's in the first place anyway.
But if you can come up with a good story... well I am flexible if you can sell me (and by extension the rest of the group) on the idea that this will enhance the story.

Even if its just well for this game of The Legion of Super Clones I was really hoping to play a knock off of <insert character here>, but that needs a robot with <insert super powers here> so I was wondering if maybe we could....
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
ShadowLogan
Palladin

Unread post by ShadowLogan »

Bill wrote:Under the existing rules, how would you go about imparting a superpower to a robotic category hero? There are many examples of this in the genre including androids that can manipulate their density, robots that can control the movement of air, and shape-shifting assassin bots.

I think Glistam's observation about the Super-Invention Category is the best way to go for both Robotics and Bionics, though I am not familiar with that book, if the Super Invention has a cost I would allow it at double (x2) the cost for minor powers and ten times (x10) the cost for major powers. I'd probably suggest limiting slot availability to avoid abuse.

Additionally to what has also been suggested there are a few other options/precedents I think megaversally for what you are looking for:
1. Use Techno-Wizard devices, this requires a PPE generator/battery (and probably importing of options from the Rifts 'bot OCC in SB1) to get a close approximation.
2. In some cases there might be a tech example that works similar or can be used to explain a function (ex Rifts Phase Technology for Intangible, nano-machines for shape-shifting either rebuild or change configuration, etc), though determining cost will be tricky
3. Possibly a Nightbane with a tech bent on the morphous? I'm not familiar with this setting much (IIRC an early rifter had it as an option)
4. Transferred Intelligence Bots IINM allow the TI in the 'bot body to use their psi powers, so perhaps it can also work for other power categories (spell, super powers) at GM call
5. Mutation event like Archie-3 in Rifts (who IS a mutant AI with psi-powers) for a neural intelligence, which means they could also be cross-members with the Mutant or Experiment categories.
6. There is an organic component with Super Powers, and the technology going into the bot doesn't interfere (think Mechanoids and their Psi-Powers)
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Could always have the robot be the 'vehicle' that a Hardware Mechanical makes via the PU2 class of Empowered Super-Item.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Bill wrote:Under the existing rules, how would you go about imparting a superpower to a robotic category hero? There are many examples of this in the genre including androids that can manipulate their density, robots that can control the movement of air, and shape-shifting assassin bots.

Honestly, the best way to handle this in my opinion is the Alien power category. A result of 97-98% on the appearance table makes the Alien a Humanoid but Artificial Life Form/Robot. Besides the bonuses and restrictions noted in that appearance result, nothing else changes about the character. They still roll for physiological modifications. They still roll for power categories. They can still get a result of 11-40% on the super abilities table in Step Four, where the super abilities selected can be natural to the character/race/robot.

Specifically for the examples noted in the original post, this option will create the character you are looking for. Since nothing changes about character creation, the "robot" character still heals damage at the normal rate (an advanced self-repair system?). You won't have a LOT of super powers, but you will have some, and this emulates several different comic-book style advanced robot characters whom I cannot name due to the conversion policy.

Regularguy
Adventurer

Unread post by Regularguy »

Not a conversion of any character I'm aware of, but let me just add that going that route can also get you an Alien Robot Wizard.

(With a flying car and an energy sword, if you want.)
Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Regularguy wrote:Not a conversion of any character I'm aware of, but let me just add that going that route can also get you an Alien Robot Wizard.

Which I've done before and was actually a lot of fun.

The only 'issue' I've had with the Alien Robot is players oftentimes want to upgrade the character or add photographic memory and other 'robotic like' powers to the character which can quickly get to be a bit of an issue depending on the power level you're playing with.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

Daniel Stoker wrote:
Regularguy wrote:Not a conversion of any character I'm aware of, but let me just add that going that route can also get you an Alien Robot Wizard.

Which I've done before and was actually a lot of fun.

The only 'issue' I've had with the Alien Robot is players oftentimes want to upgrade the character or add photographic memory and other 'robotic like' powers to the character which can quickly get to be a bit of an issue depending on the power level you're playing with.

Daniel Stoker

I personally would direct such players to use their power options on appropriate powers, or make a robot per the Robot Power Category instead.

Daniel Stoker
Knight
Comment: Non Impediti Ratione Cogitationis

Unread post by Daniel Stoker »

Oh I agree and I have, but I've also had players come back afterwards wanting stuff like that or upset they'd have to use slots for that as opposed to say Sonic Flight.

Daniel Stoker
Judaism - More Old School than either Christianity or Islam.
The Artist Formerly
Champion
Comment: Time Magazine's person of the year, 2006.

Unread post by The Artist Formerly »

Super Invention from PU2, with the battle armor template. You could use the robot build from the core book for buying attributes, or just have the player roll them up as normal (which is how I'd do it).
When I look in the dictionary and see the word Cool...I see Taffy's picture...-Shady Slug
Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. -Abraham Lincoln
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

While not a "robot" the Alien power category with a Robotic humanoid character.
RockJock
Knight

Unread post by RockJock »

I had a "robot" character built as an advanced android using the Symbiote category. Basically it was just a background/character thing. The character wasn't all that powerful, basically a mix of base physical abilities added to some machine control powers (Mechanolink I think?). Just another angle.
RockJock, holder of the mighty Rune Rock Hammer!
glitterboy2098
Rifts® Trivia Master

Unread post by glitterboy2098 »

note that you could also just make the robotics bit be fluff and roll up a regular hero. if the mechanical systems are advanced enough and emulate organic systems closely enough the difference between flesh and blood and "psuedoflesh and transfer-solution" is more a matter of roleplay..

look at the Androids of bladerunner or the alien series for example. the 2nd Avenger's film has basically an hybrid organic/non-organic android as well.

for a more exotic and non-organic-chemistry example in the novel Saturn's Children by Charles Stross, the androids are made mainly of non-organic equivalent's of cells that are made via nanotechnology, called mechanocytes. which give the androids the ability to self-repair, and allow them to be using neural nets that function much like organic brains (except for the memory backup features.)
Author of Rifts: Deep Frontier (Rifter 70)
Author of Rifts:Scandinavia (current project)
* All fantasy should have a solid base in reality.
* Good sense about trivialities is better than nonsense about things that matter.

-Max Beerbohm
Visit my Website
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

The Rifter 37 dual class Megahero could do this as well.

I also remember Stonegargoyle creating a robot mage type character.
Stone Gargoyle
Virtuoso of Variants
Comment: "Your inferiority complex might be justified."
Location: Lurking on rooftops like a proper gargoyle should, in and around Tacoma, WA.

Unread post by Stone Gargoyle »

say652 wrote:The Rifter 37 dual class Megahero could do this as well.

I also remember Stonegargoyle creating a robot mage type character.
Yes, I did special robotic parts which were semi-organic to allow a robot to have a PPE battery for using spells. I have the link to the material which was posted in the Black Vault Wiki. http://wiki.thedeificnmi.com/index.php? ... pellcaster
"SG, you are a limitless fountain of Butt-Saving Advice. You Rock, Stone and Concrete." ~ TrumbachD

Return to “Heroes Unlimited™”