What are the Best magic O.c.c in Nightbane?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

gaby
Knight

What are the Best magic O.c.c in Nightbane?

Unread post by gaby »

Tell Me what Magic O.C.C ic the Best in Nightbane?

What are ther best Special abilities?
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Nightbane Sorcerer.

Best powers: Being a Nightbane and a Sorcerer in one. :D

Second favorite would be the Astral Mage.

Best powers: Being a Sorcerer and a lesser Astral Lord in one :fool:
Last edited by Tinker Dragoon on Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
dark brandon
Knight
Comment: I want you more when you're afraid of me.

Unread post by dark brandon »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Nightbane Sorcerer.

Concure
"We're trapped in the belly of this horrible machine And the machine is bleeding to death The sun has fallen down And the billboards are all leering And the flags are all dead at the top of their poles ...I open up my wallet And it's full of blood "~~Godspeed you black emperor.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

That is only if you're playing a NB char...if a human char, then what? a Sorcerer?

I would like to play a Mirror Mage with the mirror manipulation power in PU1. (in addition to the powers listed in the OCC).

Or to be a shadow warlock.

The Cybermage and Flesh sculpter mage type are a bit too much inherently evil (or just plane mean) for my taistes.
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Bah, the Cybermage and Fleshsculptor were the pick of the bunch as far as I'm concerned. They get a bit shortchanged thanks to a combination of clunky rules and not being combat-oriented (not being combat-oriented is a virtual death sentence when you're using the Palladium system) but they are without a doubt two of the most atmospheric magic-using OCCs in any Palladium game.

Rallan
Dr. Doom III
Knight

Unread post by Dr. Doom III »

Nightspawn/bane Sorcerer
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear."
-George Orwell
***Posting of articles does not imply endorsement of such***
Specter
Adventurer

Unread post by Specter »

I don't like having bane sourcerers just because they are over the top powerful.

You could call that being the best I suppose....
My dragon juicer died because of magical sock puppets. - ash_wednesday

hell id go on spectors pods- Cherico

keep Specter's ass out of my general area when he fells naked- Rayven

Specter "the poopy pants man"-CyberPaladin85

http://beautifuldiscord.blogspot.com My Poetry/Short Stories I want you to comment!
GaredBattlespike
Adventurer

Unread post by GaredBattlespike »

I like the Sorcerer as the best (most well-rounded,effective and just cool).
The Astral Mage intrigues me, but then the Astral Lord (Psychic) is what I want to play next in Nightbane. The connection to the Astral Plane is interesting as is the Domain Creation Power. The Astral Mage works best (in my own opinion) when paired with an Astral Lord. The next Man of Magic that holds my interest is Shadow Warlock. Access to Nightbane Talents is a real cool thing!!!!! 8) :ok: I,also, have seen Good Aligned Fleshsculpters-as-medics and they do work very well.

Thanks,
GaredBattlespike
"Save ARCHIE, save the world..."
-----------------------------
-Sigging of rungok-
-Scenario 2-
(Demon 1):Woah, the hell happened to you?
(Demon 2):got my ass kicked by some guy with a knife and a handgun
(Demon 1):What? you gotta be kidding me!
(Demon 2):Thats what i was thinking...

anapuna wrote:
i rarely play a mage, but when i do... i do what GaredBattlespike does.

or i am a TW.
David Esmale Hill

Unread post by David Esmale Hill »

I still think the Nightbane Sorceror is just the ultimate in terms of magical power. Spellcasting + Nightbane Talents + whatever abilities and bonuses come with his/her Morphus form = lots of power. Fleshsculpting and Cybermages are interesting, but I haven't had a whole lot of experience with them yet, and I think Nightbane are still just darn cool.
Mike Taylor

Unread post by Mike Taylor »

gwa1965 wrote:How abou thr Temporal Raider or Temporal Wizard who just popped in from the Riftiverse to cause trouble?

We're talking straight from the Nightbane books only.

For just villainous evil as a NPC, I like the Cybermage. Nothing quite like a bad guy who can take the player characters' best friend/significant other and turn them into Frankenstein's Monster. :demon:
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

First favorite Astral Mage
Second: bane sorcerer
I have a 5th level true atlantean astral mage that rocks
Ectoplasmic Bidet
Hero

Unread post by Ectoplasmic Bidet »

Holy crap, talk about resurrecting a dead thread...

Anyway, my favorite would be a NB Sorcerer, for reasons already stated, but if I had to be a human caster, I'd like to play a Shadow Warlock. It'd be cool to have access to some of the shadow spells from PFRPG's Library of Bletherad, too.
gaby
Knight

Re: What are the Best magic O.c.c in Nightbane?

Unread post by gaby »

I also like Arcane Detective.

I hope ther will be New O.c.c and P.c.c in Rifter.
Maybe something that cover Cities not cover in Nightlands.
Witchcraft
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by Witchcraft »

Nightbane Talentshaper -- not quite a sorceror but awesome and fun! It's in one of the Rifters.
There is no spoon.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Re:

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Nightbane Sorcerer.

Second favorite would be the Astral Mage.

Best powers: Being a Sorcerer and a lesser Astral Lord in one :fool:

:lol:
I can't disagree with these. :D
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Witchcraft wrote:Nightbane Talentshaper -- not quite a sorceror but awesome and fun! It's in one of the Rifters.

I searched viewtopic.php?f=4&t=77496 but 'Talentshaper' wasn't in the summaries, anyone know which one?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nightmask
Palladin

Unread post by Nightmask »

Talk about an old thread.

For myself Fleshsculpter is a favorite (can't really call a Nightbane Sorcerer a magic OCC btw, they're a race/class combination), they've some very nice magic and quite unique and given the setting someone who can repair the damage caused by the kinds of monsters you fight is a must. Helps though having a Nightbane or two around who can contribute PPE given the high costs for their best magicks. Astral Lord would be a fave but too much a pain having to deal with how to allocate PPE between the Domain you have to use and have PPE left over for spells.
Fair warning: I consider being called a munchkin a highly offensive slur and do report people when they err in doing so.

'Reality is very disappointing.' - Jonathan Switcher from Mannequin

It's 'canon', not 'cannon'. A cannon is a big gun like on pirate ships, canon is what you mean when referring to something as being contained within one of the books such as how many dice to roll for a stat.
gaby
Knight

Unread post by gaby »

What Nightban,s Magic O.c.c do you want to get New spells?

I hope New Spells for Nightbane,s Magic O.C.C will be in Rifter?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Sometimes I wonder, if a Shadow Warlock used Borrow Morphus, if he would only get the raw bonuses or if he would get the inherent things a morphus bestows like healing factor and stuff.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Personally, I always felt that the Nightbane Sorcerer was a little too powerful since there was litterally no downside to them splitting their attention between their mystic studies and developing their talents. True, they have to be careful how many talents they buy so they have enough PPE to use both, but shouldn't splitting one's attention between the two mean they are not quite as good as those who focus one one or the other (and gives players a reason to choose one of the other options)? I mean, why would a player choose to play a mere Sorcerer or a mere Nightbane when he can play a Nightbane Sorcerer and get the benifits of both with zero drawbacks?

Thus in the games I run, I reduce their starting number of spells from 12 to 8 (2 from spell levels 1 to 4). I justify this by the fact that they had to take some time out from their study of magic to hone their natural Talents... and it gives plain Sorcerers a little more versitility as they get more spells to start with. I've found that most players like this because it give those who play just ordinary Sorcerers and Nightbane a unique niech (sp?) where they excell at, but allows the Nightbane Sorcerer to fill the role too... just not quite as well.

The Nightbane Mystic is fairly balanced since the talents he develops replace the psionics the normal mystic would have.

As for the Nightbane Talentshaper... I think this needs to be made an official option (Rifter 44, pg 44).
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Aku-Arkaine
Wanderer

Unread post by Aku-Arkaine »

Astral Mage. Building your own astral realm is the bomb.
Sir Orin Neville Smythe: Blade with whom I have lived, blade with whom I now die, serve right and justice one last time, seek one last heart of evil, still one last life of pain, cut well old friend, and then farewell -- The Flight of the Dragons
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Razorwing wrote:always felt that the Nightbane Sorcerer was a little too powerful since there was litterally no downside to them splitting their attention between their mystic studies and developing their talents.
You mean besides not getting the free talents all Nightbane (or Mystics, in lieu of psionics) get?

Razorwing wrote:True, they have to be careful how many talents they buy so they have enough PPE to use both, but shouldn't splitting one's attention between the two mean they are not quite as good as those who focus one one or the other (and gives players a reason to choose one of the other options)?
Lacking the PPE to power it kind of does make you less useful with it.

Razorwing wrote:why would a player choose to play a mere Sorcerer or a mere Nightbane when he can play a Nightbane Sorcerer and get the benifits of both with zero drawbacks?
Well, ignoring the lower experience table and the usual issue with racial controversy (why play a human mage if you can play a dragon mage?) Nightbane Sorcerers compared to Human Sorcerers stand out to other Nightbane and those who can detect them (there are spells aimed at this). Nightbane Sorcerers compared to normal Nightbane stand out because they have magical abilities much like any mage would to a Psi-Stalker. So in both respects, they become more detectable than either group on their own.

Razorwing wrote:in the games I run, I reduce their starting number of spells from 12 to 8 (2 from spell levels 1 to 4).
I fail to see how reducing starting spells for a SORCERER is any real handicap, since they can just go buy them. If you really want to penalize them I'd reduce their spell strength or make them pay more PPE for talents and/or spells.

Razorwing wrote:I justify this by the fact that they had to take some time out from their study of magic to hone their natural Talents...
By this I expect you mean the 1 talent everyone gets for free at level 1?

Razorwing wrote:The Nightbane Mystic is fairly balanced since the talents he develops replace the psionics the normal mystic would have.
It's hardly an equal tradeoff, and that doesn't weigh in on how they compare to plain Nightbane.
Malleable
Wanderer

Unread post by Malleable »

Yeah, it does kinda rub me the wrong way that the Sorcerer is just so much weaker than a Nightbane Sorcerer. 1d6x10 PPE base vs 3d6X10+20. 2d6 per level vs 2d6+6.
All the innate bonuses and attributes.

BUT the XP tables balance things out in the end. I do think they should be the curve should be a bit steep for the NB Sorcerer and/or flatter for the Sorcerer.

Think I'll try a Shadow Warlock and some PCC. Get psionics, magic AND talents. :)

Mal
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Malleable wrote:I'll try a Shadow Warlock and some PCC. Get psionics, magic AND talents.
*eyes Drew warily*

Return to “Nightbane®”