Biomechanical gun limbs issues...

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Biomechanical gun limbs issues...

Unread post by tsh77769 »

This is confusing and contradicting.

It says that the gun has the same stats as a regular gun. But then it says that the max damage is 6D6. Yet, it also says that you have to put the ammo in and that the max capacity is 100.

So what happens if you have a gun that does more damage than 6D6? What happens if you have a gun that holds more than 100 rds. For example a belt fed M240 machine gun (7.62 NATO, 200rd belts).

Even worse, if I paid the PPE sacrifice to get to 6D6 damage and I put a .22 Long Rifle in, does it do 6D6?

I'm thinking that we should fix it as follows...

Instead of saying that the damage is limited to 6D6, let's say that the largest ammo that can be put in is a 12 Gauge shell or a .50 Bmg shell and damage will be based on the ammo (this would also allow for specialty ammo, HP, AP, silver, flechette, etc.). Range will be based on examples of weapons chambered for that ammo (so it would behoove the player to look for example weapons in a given caliber with longer ranges, such as the Dragunov listed in the back of the book). The ability to accept belted ammo would be included. Capacity would either stay capped at 100 or be moved up to 200 in order to accommodate common length belts for belt fed weapons like the M249 SAW or M240.

Thoughts, ideas, suggestions?

tsh77769
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Re: Biomechanical gun limbs issues...

Unread post by eliakon »

The way I see it is as follows.
1) the maximum damage is 6d6. Thus you are limited to picking weapons that do 6d6 or lower, no 30d6 guns for example. IF the GM allows you to pick a gun that thematically fits the character, but does more than the damage that has been paid for and/or the cap... then the damage is reduced to the cap.
So your hypothetical machine gun will do 6d6 damage, because that is the maximum that it can do.

2) Your weapon has a maximum ammunition capacity of 100, because it has a maximum capacity of 100. Just because it looks like it has a large drum twisting off of your arm doesn't mean that it can hold 500 rounds.
On the flip side, if you have a 9mm pistol built into your arm you carry 100 rounds and not just the 7 that a pistol like that normally gets.

These rules combine to prevent people from wanting to mount 6d6x10+30 mini-guns in their arm with 500 round belts...

Of course as a GM if you want people to be walking around with that sort of firepower, go ahead and relax the rules and let them carry what ever you feel comfortable with.
I will just say that my experience is that the power as written is already vastly powerful and doesn't really need a boost.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

1) Remember that the damage is limited to 6d6 SD. And that the gun limb is a firearm.

There is also the problem of getting the ammunition for the gun-limb. If it fires a .50 BMG round then the char will have trouble even finding the rounds to fire out of it if not a part of a faction that can procure them for the char.

However, since the gun-limb is a firearm it should be able to make use of specialized ammunition. But even then this "cheat" has to be approved by the GM. But if the Char went to NA rifts they could conceptually change out to ramjet or explosive rounds to do MD attacks even thou that would be more then the base (ball)/max SD damage of the weapon.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
tsh77769
Dungeon Crawler

Unread post by tsh77769 »

Perhaps we could say the base damage of the cartridge would be limited to 6D6 but special ammo would be allowed?

Tsh77769
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

tsh77769 wrote:Perhaps we could say the base damage of the cartridge would be limited to 6D6 but special ammo would be allowed?

Tsh77769

That is how I see things.

However, there are GMs that have their own view points about what the RAW says.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

tsh77769 wrote:Perhaps we could say the base damage of the cartridge would be limited to 6D6 but special ammo would be allowed?

Tsh77769

To be honest...
...as a GM I have ruled both ways, depending on the game.

It tends to be a matter of what the player is trying to do, and the tone of the game. And of course, what the game is.
An action packed game full of stand up battles against hordes of minions? Go for it no question.
A low key game of drama and suspense where discretion is always the better part of valor? Not a chance.
A game some place in the middle? Maybe, maybe not. I would need to talk to them.

One of the big issues that comes up are shotguns and the various loads there. Especially in crossover games where you start getting access to stuff like micro grenades...
...but even stuff like tear gas rounds, and dragons breath, and explosive slugs, and Glasier, and the like can get out of hand quickly (or be just where the GM and Players want it).

It is, ultimately a matter of taste that needs to be done for each table.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Nightbane®”