The American Privacy Protection Act (APPA) of 2003

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

Due to growing concern among the public of the increased use of "spy cameras" embedded in ubiquitous devices such as cellular phones, congress and passed and the president has signed the American Privacy Protection Act.

The law has special provisions regarding the size of cameras, and the type of devices they can be embedded in. In addition to restrictions on manufacture and ownership of such devices the law allows individuals to bring suit against individuals taking unauthorized videos/pictures of them on private property.

The Police Protection Amendment

Early in 2003, several police officers and NSB agents were targeted for assassination, the suspects (who were killed in a shoot out) had video and pictures of the law enforcement personnel which they used to determine their routines in order to set up the deadly ambush.

As such the law declares that recording on law enforcement officials constitutes a possible threat to their safety and is probable cause for questioning and possibly arrest.

--------------------------------------

There are no cell phone cameras in my Nightbane game!
Rallan
Champion

Re: The American Privacy Protection Act (APPA) of 2003

Unread post by Rallan »

That's a bit anachronistic. At the start of the noughties, cell phone cameras were extremely uncommon and were only available on a handful of expensive and relatively obscure phones that were basically just toys for rich kids. And they were for still shots only, the resolution was terrible, and you couldn't share them with your friends or post them online unless you ported them across to your PC first. In 2003 it would be years before every man and his dog owned a phone camera (let alone one that could do video footage), and even more years before smartphone recordings of police brutality would be common enough to become a media phenomenon that law'n'order conservatives with repressed fascist tendencies would see as a threat to the police.

And in the Nightbane world it would take even longer, since it's canon that technological progress and the economy are increasingly stagnant in that world.
Incriptus
Hero
Comment: Hey, relaaaax. Pretend it's a game. Maybe it'll even be fun
Shoot the tubes, Dogmeat!

Unread post by Incriptus »

For what it's worth Wikipedia says

"By 2003, more camera phones were sold worldwide than stand-alone digital cameras."

"In 2005, Nokia became the world's most sold digital camera brand. In 2006, half of the world's mobile phones had a built-in camera"

I guess I was a few years early, so probably closer to 2005.

My intention is for the nightlords would realize that too many cameras makes it to difficult to keep up with the great lie and actively discouraged such technology.
Marcethus
Champion

Unread post by Marcethus »

Interesting Idea, I may have to borrow parts of it for my campaign that I am working on.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

I wouldn't worry, check the rule book, this is a game world where an IMB compatible MS DOS comptuer costs 1800$ and a Full Color monitor costs 800, and a pocket tape recorder costs 100$, and an internet modem for dial-up costs 150. and the cannon year is 2006.

By the rules, the Nightlords didn't have to outlaw cell phone cameras, Cell Phones cameras simply don't exist. in fact Cell Phones themselves should be bulky bricks that weigh 5 pounds, overheat, get crappy connection anywhere not a major city, and cost as much as a used car.

Given that by Nightbane's timeline, computers have not moved out of the MS-DOS era by 2006, and assuming you want to set it in present day, you might be justified in having California Preserver Party Leader bill gates announce his company's long-awaited release of windows 3.1. :lol: :D

It only makes sense that the Nightlords would replace all the major Eggheads with dopplegangers or similar and deliberately slow or stop the development of any technology which might help people organize against them))
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon

Return to “Nightbane®”