Dervish Dance attack options

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Axelmania
Knight

Dervish Dance attack options

Unread post by Axelmania »

When someone using this Talent attacks everyone in the radius, is there anything preventing them from doing called shots during these attacks? Like say to try and hack off the arms of all approaching attackers? Or is there something about this which would limit it to being only attacks against the main body?
Marcethus
Champion

Re: Dervish Dance attack options

Unread post by Marcethus »

Which book is that one in?
Axelmania
Knight

WB1 Nightlands pg 133

Whenever you get attacked you launch an attack at everyone in a 5 foot radius. Great when swarmed by melee attackers, pretty much makes you a sitting duck against ranged opponents (or even someone with a decent pike) or if anyone knows enough about DD that they should just hold back until the Bane exhausts their PPE (very expensive to maintain) although I don't know if there's an explicit way to tell if it's active. I think you'd need to send in at least 3 guys, since if you send in 2 and they get hit it might just be a twin strike from paired WP or something.

I think you'd have to spend an action to activate it in the first round but I don't know if you'd have to keep doing that in subsequent rounds to maintain the ability or just keep spending the PPE, or if you could spend 40 PPE up-front to prep it for 2 rounds.
Marcethus
Champion

You had the Book Title wrong. WB1 is Between the Shadows. Granted you have the page number correct for BtS so I was able to find it. I would say no called shots are not possible due to the fact that you don't roll to strike. The strike and parry numbers are fixed at 10 +1 per level of the Nightbane (or Shadow Warlock) using the Talent. Also it doesn't matter whether one attacker rushes or 5 they all suffer the effects of coming into range of the ability once it is activated. Since the Power has to be activated on the first attack of the melee round and uses all of the 'bane's attacks for that melee that answers the question of whether it costs an action to maintain the power. To use it again it would just be a reactivating of the power since it ends at the end of the melee round.
Axelmania
Knight

Ah you're right, I at first thought it was Nightlands but realized it wasn't and found it in Between the Shadows but must have still had Nightlands on the mind when I wrote it.

I think Nightbane's called shot rules are the classic 12+ requirement so that means you couldn't do them at first level, but at higher levels once the roll is higher couldn't you make them?
Marcethus
Champion

With it's set die roll I wouldn't allow called shots. If the player made the roll at the beginning of the round. Then I might allow it. But with a set formula for the die roll. I would call it a no go on called shots.
Axelmania
Knight

It says "as if you rolled" though...

This would certainly be simpler issue if we adapted the recent modern fire rules from RUE/Dead Reign where called shots cost an extra action.

The impression I get is that the attacks use with this ability must cost a single action, ie no doing a 'power punch' as your automatic attack to everyone, standard punch only.

Of course... a Nightbane with paired weapons can make 2 hits on one guy with 1 action... and Dervish Dance provides its own automatic parry so I don't think you'd even lose your parry if you did this.
Marcethus
Champion

The power burns all your attacks for that melee and must be your first action of the melee.

Return to “Nightbane®”