Who wants a New Nightbane book on Magic?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Who want a New nightbane book on Magic?

Poll ended at Thu Oct 29, 2015 12:46 pm

(1)Yes:
82%
(2)No:
18%

Total votes: 11

gaby
Knight

Who wants a New Nightbane book on Magic?

Unread post by gaby »

Tell Me Who wants to see a New Nightbane book on Magic?

I do,they can give All New Spells to existing Magic OCC.

What do you think?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Who wants a New Nightbane book on Magic?

Unread post by Glistam »

I do - they should call it "Beyond Arcanum".
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
filo_clarke
Adventurer

Unread post by filo_clarke »

Glistam wrote:I do - they should call it "Beyond Arcanum".

This.
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Unread post by drewkitty ~..~ »

Agrees with Glistam.
May you be blessed with the ability to change course when you are off the mark.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Reading and writing (literacy) is how people on BBS interact.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

:roll: So why'd you all vote yes since that would be BtS not Nightbane.
Well since they stopped printing the nightbane book, its name escapes me, I think they should redo it, because the HF stuff was good and the living spells was interesting.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

While I would love more books on magic....
...I would not want it to be a Nightbane book, nor would I want a Nightbane book to be on magic.

Magic in Nightbane is so different than magic in the rest of the gamelines/megaverse that I would much rather get a book that was more universally useable.
If there were a 'mystic' Nightbane book I would much rather see one that was more 'holistic' that looked at a broader range of topics, such as what Talents are, or what the Nightbane, Nightlords, Hounds etc are, or why magic and psionics works differently in the Nightbane world than other worlds....
....Yet more 'here are some weird creepy spells that will only work in this game, and no other' is not really very useful to me.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

nightbane already has a book on magic. it's a rather nice one, and the rules are interesting enough that i've seen them get referenced in other settings on a semi-regular basis. it probably doesn't need another one. although, if it was as good as the first (as in, useful for any PB setting, lots of new and interesting stuff in it), i'd be ok with another one coming out. i just don't see it as being a terribly high priority.
abtex
Champion

Unread post by abtex »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:Agrees with Glistam.

That works for me as well.
I hate it when my mind wonders,
Because I have no idea what it will bring back with it.

taalismn says -- Librarians assume the role of scholar-priest-kings in an increasinly illiterate society...

taalismn says -- Abtex...Unofficial archival mole for the fictional arms industry again with the sites that make you blink... :shock: :-D
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

Zer0 Kay wrote::roll: So why'd you all vote yes since that would be BtS not Nightbane.
Well since they stopped printing the nightbane book, its name escapes me, I think they should redo it, because the HF stuff was good and the living spells was interesting.

Because the spells would be the same, and theoretically the BA book just needs to be edited.
Each question should be give the canon answer 1st, then you can proclaim your house rules.
Zer0 Kay
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Zer0 Kay »

drewkitty ~..~ wrote:
Zer0 Kay wrote::roll: So why'd you all vote yes since that would be BtS not Nightbane.

Because the spells would be the same, and theoretically the BA book just needs to be edited.

Well yes, and no. I'm sure there are different spells in Nightspawn. Enough different for a whole book... Probably not, then again the BtS book wont be enough different from The BoM. What, different damage in most cases little else? Nightspawn did have that unique living magic idea.
:thwak: you some might think you're a :clown: but you're cool in book :ok: :thwak:--Mecha-Viper
BEST IDEA EVER!!! -- The Galactus Kid
Holy crapy, you're Zer0 Kay?! --TriaxTech
Zer0 Kay is my hero. --Atramentus
The Zer0 of Kay, who started this fray,
Kept us laughing until the end. -The Fifth Business (In loving Memory of the teleport thread)
Rallan
Champion

Unread post by Rallan »

Shark_Force wrote:nightbane already has a book on magic. it's a rather nice one, and the rules are interesting enough that i've seen them get referenced in other settings on a semi-regular basis. it probably doesn't need another one. although, if it was as good as the first (as in, useful for any PB setting, lots of new and interesting stuff in it), i'd be ok with another one coming out. i just don't see it as being a terribly high priority.

Through The Glass Darkly is probably the best book on magic that Palladium has ever released. About the only real quibble I have with it is that while it's a great magic book, it's not much of a Nightbane book.
Lori
Wanderer

Unread post by Lori »

Glistam wrote:I do - they should call it "Beyond Arcanum".

:lol:
Shark_Force
Palladin

Unread post by Shark_Force »

Rallan wrote:
Shark_Force wrote:nightbane already has a book on magic. it's a rather nice one, and the rules are interesting enough that i've seen them get referenced in other settings on a semi-regular basis. it probably doesn't need another one. although, if it was as good as the first (as in, useful for any PB setting, lots of new and interesting stuff in it), i'd be ok with another one coming out. i just don't see it as being a terribly high priority.

Through The Glass Darkly is probably the best book on magic that Palladium has ever released. About the only real quibble I have with it is that while it's a great magic book, it's not much of a Nightbane book.

doesn't have to be mostly for characters that are nightbane to be a good nightbane book. it's great for the GM to enhance the feel of the setting, and it's great for characters that are more magically inclined. it has exactly the sort of feeling to it that magic in the nightbane setting should have.

it is also a great book to use for other palladium settings. but it is quite a good book for the nightbane setting, even if it isn't a great book for most nightbane themselves.

(to be honest, i rather wish more books that palladium produced were like TtGD. Between the Shadows is another example of a book that is good for the setting, and also great for use elsewhere in the palladium megaverse... those two books being referenced in a variety of discussions is actually the trigger that got me to buy my first nightbane book, and i would love it if more books were full of material that could be used in any setting).
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Perhaps a cross-product book, like how Skraypers was HU/Rifts and MiO was ATB/Rifts. Make it NB/BTS/PF and do spells broad enough to benefit all settings.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
drewkitty ~..~
Monk

I would not mind it being a SDC Book of Magic.....maybe converting some of the spells that are only found in the MDC settings for the SDC settings. But there might be a few that would have to be labeled as restricted to a certain setting. Like the spells that deal with just the nightbane. Or like leaving the Magic Caldron ritual as a class ability for the PF wizard class.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Would I want more spells for NB? Sure, who doesn't? But there is so much more to explore than just a book of spells. Give me locations in the world or darklands, flesh them out and then include spells and some new monsters.
Alrik Vas
Knight
Comment: Don't waste your time gloating over a wounded enemy. Pull the damn trigger.

Unread post by Alrik Vas »

Because we clearly need more mirror walking assassinations, yes, bring on the Nightbane magic. :roll:
Mark Hall wrote:Y'all seem to assume that Palladium books are written with the same exacting precision with which they are analyzed. I think that is... ambitious.

Talk from the Edge: Operation Dead Lift, Operation Reload, Operation Human Devil, Operation Handshake, Operation Windfall 1, Operation Windfall 2, Operation Sniper Wolf, Operation Natural 20
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Alrik Vas wrote:Because we clearly need more mirror walking assassinations, yes, bring on the Nightbane magic. :roll:

That's a reason a NB magic book isn't high on priorities. They don't need them frankly, also giving more Darkland creatures doesn't have to translate into more mirror walking. Just exlpore the Nightlands some more give it more detail and also give detailed city info for our world.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Honestly, my stance is "The groups I play with have always used spells from any game line interchangeably with at most an added rarity for being a spell invented in another dimension". Thus, yes, I would like a new nightbane book on magic, because to me it dosn't matter what game line the next magic book comes out for, i'll use it for all my games anyway. :)
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:Honestly, my stance is "The groups I play with have always used spells from any game line interchangeably with at most an added rarity for being a spell invented in another dimension". Thus, yes, I would like a new nightbane book on magic, because to me it dosn't matter what game line the next magic book comes out for, i'll use it for all my games anyway. :)

Seconded.

I find that a good 80%-90% or so of material in a book for one line is of use in the other lines. There is always stuff that is pretty Line specific, or that one bit of oddness that only works for the one specific time and location....but other than that I view everything as a resource to be utilized (possibly with a bit of conversion here and there) for other games.

Which means to me that a book on Nightbane magic is also a PF book of magic and a Rifts book of magic....just one that is likely to have a few spells that I can't use in those......just like while much of the Rifts Book of Magic works in Nightbane or PF not all of it does.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Return to “Nightbane®”