Healing the facade

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Niji

Healing the facade

Unread post by Niji »

Been reading the forums for info on this, and obviously taking a talent to deliberately regenerate the facade is an option, the rules seem to imply the facade regenerates as per a normal (albiet particularly hearty and vital/fortitude human (maybe, depending on your disability/victim choices). That damage to the facade transfers point for point to the Morphus, and the morphus recovers 10 SDC/HP per end of melee (so a greviously wounded facade would becoming to 'bane amd then the bane would rapidly heal).

We always took this to mean the facade regenerates WHILE in morphus but does not regenerate outside the peak human norm otherwise. But thinking about it lately seems like a pretty fishy idea, like if the last time someone saw your facade you were greviously wounded han a day later perfectly fine, there is no explaining that away withhout drawing heavy supernatural suspicion. So it makes more sense it only regenerates as per a healthy/stout human normal.

So given the info on "5000 year old nightbane can't revert to facade because it is on the verge of day/old and decrepit" that i paraphrased from facade vs morphus descriptions found in the lore (older nightbane, etc). It seems like the facade would regenerate per the human norm WHILE in morphus so you could just stay in morphus for 10 years to heal 2 hp 4 sdc a year from verge of death/coma type deal. This seems the most logical given the "dual forms" almost like you are swapping your spirit (conciousness) betwen two souls (physical bodies/experience) and each are seperate but intimately intwined it would make more sense mechanically they have seperate health pools, but of course the rules refute this with "adding on" the morphus like its "soul armor" so it feels more like an APS power in HU, as such it would implie the facade regenerates while in morphus just at the normal human rate no? (So if no one has seen your facade for 10 days and it shows up healed from grevious injury as a heart person would after 10 days, CINEMATICALLY/THEMATICALLY this makes the most sense)

If there has been official (nightbane/sdc world) commentary on this since 2012 (last discussion on the matter) that would be great. But let me know what your group did to resolve this quandry and how it felt.

It is impractical to stay in the morphus very long when you are toting a grotesque/STATEMENT MAKING appearance OR running around with an HF of 18 if you need to maintain your facade's life/secret identity(for the HU influenced game) for in character/story reasons, so figuring this out is relevant. Obviously the way its left is to be up to the GM and players to decide what is more iteresting for the game (unearthly regeneration to the facade would be deadly impairment to keep identity concealed thing, would have to be roleplayed carefully (reinflicting the wounds, make up and stage play in public till a normal human would be healed, etc).

See if you can help out!

(Lets not bring other settings into the mix, rifts already handwaved the complexity away for rules lite berevity).

Personally i think always normal but regens at the normal human rate in morphus is the most rational (but might be more interesting to not heal the facade at all in morphus, so decision of your facade idenity being revealed comes at the cost of having to be stuck in the hospital for 4 weeks and not stay in morphus conspicuously long). Official word of course would make this all much easier.

This problem is linked to Mystically Bestowed and Enchanted Weapon granted regeneration abilities as well.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Re: Healing the facade

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

If there has been official (nightbane/sdc world) commentary on this since 2012 (last discussion on the matter) that would be great. But let me know what your group did to resolve this quandry and how it felt.

Rifter 48 has an offical Q&A with anwers from Kevin Seimbeda and the current authors of nightbane specifically. All the answers in that section are considered canon. This is one of the questions answered.

Facade heal 10 HP/SDC an hour. they do so even in morphus form. likewise the morphus heals 10 HP/SDC per melee round while in facade form. so if a nightbane in Facade gets shot for 20 SDC and then turns into morphus, the morphus is unhurt, and if he stays in morphus for 2 hours, his facade form will be completely recovered when he changes back.

It also clarifies that damage taken in one form never effects the other. Your damage taken in facade form does NOT effect your Morphus form in any way. Likewise no damage taken in morphus form effects your facade form. Death is the only exception as dying in one form kills the other as well. (Dying in facade leaves a body, dying in morphus does not)

Yes, this does mean if someone sees your facade in a bad car accident with two broken legs one day and you are perfectly fine the next day, they will be suspicious. It's yet another thing Nightbane have to juggle.

it also says in another question that if a nightbane switches to Morphus form to avoid something terminal in facade form that cannot be healed by damage healing, such as terminal cancer or severe illnesses or poison--they have a bonus to save but are not immune), they CAN live indefinately in Morphus form, but will die if they return to Facade, and so may be stuck in morphus form permanently or die as soon as they revert, unless magical healing is used to remove the problem. The Morphus is immune to Disease and Poison, the facade is not, and so while they can't die from illness in morphus form, they can die when they go back.

I'm glad Kevin & Co decided to actually give us cannon answers at last.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Even though 10 SDC or HP is pretty swell, I'm not sure if that would translate to healing broken legs in a day.

Consider the HU minor power Healing Factor lets you recover 18 SDC and 4 HP (total 22 points) per hour, yet broken bones only heal 10x as fast, 6-10 days instead of 11-15 weeks.

Considering the facade healing is roughly half as much, I'd just double those times. Suspicious but still less extravagant.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Tor wrote:Even though 10 SDC or HP is pretty swell, I'm not sure if that would translate to healing broken legs in a day.

Consider the HU minor power Healing Factor lets you recover 18 SDC and 4 HP (total 22 points) per hour, yet broken bones only heal 10x as fast, 6-10 days instead of 11-15 weeks.

Considering the facade healing is roughly half as much, I'd just double those times. Suspicious but still less extravagant.

True, it dosn't say slower either, but that's a fair ruling.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

I dislike the idea of the facade being it's own thing. Its just a mask, so it can't be vulnerable to things(disease/poison). Wearing it does weaken you, so you have less sdc in it. But once you've healed your true self, you mask is healed, period. Not cannon, even without the rifter FAQ, just my home rules/opinion.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
Warwolf
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Thanks to Nekira for referencing our article. Additionally, Dark Designs tackles how damage or other attacks are dealt with when Nightbane are transitioning between forms.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Sir_Spirit wrote:I dislike the idea of the facade being it's own thing. Its just a mask, so it can't be vulnerable to things(disease/poison).

Where exactly is this 'just a mask' from? WB2 (Nightlands) pg 23 describes Nightbane as "half human, half supernatural being".

Half of you being something sounds like more than a mere mask.

You can still exist under a mask, but Nightbane are vulnerable and can be easily killed while in Facade (which is merely a semantic classification) so that seems more fundamental than a mask.

Return to “Nightbane®”