Bio-Regeneration: physical vs super in Between the Shadows

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Bio-Regeneration: physical vs super in Between the Shadows

Unread post by Tor »

It seems to me like the physical power is better in every way than the super psionic. How do we fix this?

About the only purpose in the super I can see is that you aren't limited to using it every other minute, but I don't think that makes up for the ridiculous cost, delay time, and lack of versatility.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Bio-Regeneration: physical vs super in Between the Shado

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

The lesser form of Bio-Regeneration is completely broken as written. Although it can only restore H.P. OR S.D.C. at one time (not both), it does so every melee round, rather than every minute, and there is no indication of a cutoff point, so the power has an effectively infinite duration. I seriously doubt this was the designers' intent.

IMHO, the obvious fix would be to change the Healing power to restore H.P./S.D.C. only once per USE (every two minutes). I would also consider lowering the cost of the Super version to 10-12 I.S.P.

The RUE version of lesser Bio-Regeneration has the additional limitation of weakening the user if more than half of the user's H.P. or S.D.C is regenerated in one hour. Still doesn't fix the "per melee" problem, though.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Huh, didn't even notice until now but Rifts (original) 115 had that 'per melee' too. I think I overlooked it because it happened with a continuation into the right column, so it wasn't obvious.

Huh "Bio-Regeneration does not restore missing limbs, but does not restore 2-12 (2D6) hit points, or 3-18 (3D6) physical SDC" k make that 2 things I didn't notice about RMB's presentation of the power.

What would balance it is to take the super's lack of "does not restore missing limbs" present in the lesser Healing version to mean that the super psi does let you regen limbs :)

I could accept the inferior 4h+4s vs 8h/12s ratio if it came with that benefit. Also maybe house-rule something like the Super immediately stops blood loss while the lesser only stops it when you've gotten back up to full health?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

Tor wrote:Huh, didn't even notice until now but Rifts (original) 115 had that 'per melee' too. I think I overlooked it because it happened with a continuation into the right column, so it wasn't obvious.

Huh "Bio-Regeneration does not restore missing limbs, but does not restore 2-12 (2D6) hit points, or 3-18 (3D6) physical SDC" k make that 2 things I didn't notice about RMB's presentation of the power.

What would balance it is to take the super's lack of "does not restore missing limbs" present in the lesser Healing version to mean that the super psi does let you regen limbs :)

I could accept the inferior 4h+4s vs 8h/12s ratio if it came with that benefit. Also maybe house-rule something like the Super immediately stops blood loss while the lesser only stops it when you've gotten back up to full health?

Or if you had the missing limb, then reattach the limb. I wouldn't do a restoration per magic but definitely be 'super' power.
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
say652
Palladin
Comment: Avid Cyborg and Braka Braka enthusiast.

Unread post by say652 »

I actually agree with that.

Super Bio regeneration, restores limbs and stops bleeding damage.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

What if the missing limb was itself cauturized off? Like someone decided to play around with a laser torch and there are no living endings to attach to?

How long could it have been removed and still be viable? a day? a week? As long as it's not visibly rotting?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

I would say instead of reattach they regrow at full hp or mdc.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

say652 wrote:I would say instead of reattach they regrow at full hp or mdc.

Wouldn't that mean any cybernetic implants would also be rejected?
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
say652
Palladin

Unread post by say652 »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
say652 wrote:I would say instead of reattach they regrow at full hp or mdc.

Wouldn't that mean any cybernetic implants would also be rejected?

I would guess so.
At least for those that take Super Bio regeneration.
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

What I get from the power as written is this.

A Psychic uses Bio-Regeneration (Healer), healing 2d6 HP or 3d6 SDC over the course of 1 melee round for the cost of 6 ISP. That's it. It doesn't persist past the melee round when it was used and healing more the next round will again, cost 6 ISP.

Now, compare this to the Master/Super Psionic version

Healer: 6 ISP per melee to heal 2d6 HP or 3d6 SDC
Master: 20 ISP per minute to heal 4d6 HP and 4d6 SDC.

In theory, the Master has a slightly better cost ratio as over the course of 1 minute, the Healer would spend 24 ISP total. However, the Healer also has the advantage that he heals damage every melee round where as the Master has to wait a full minute (4 melees) before any healing is done. Additionally, the Healer version would heal an additional 2d6 SDC in the same amount of time.

So, it is a judgment call as to which is superior to the other. Do you have plenty of time to heal? If yes, then the Master version will cost less in the long run. If no, then the Healer version will give you results faster.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

WB1p116 admittedly I had assume the healing/melee occurred over the course of the 'one full minute of concentration' which is how I came to the 4 melees conclusion.

Taking the approach of the 1 minute of concentration (during which no healing) PRECEDING the healing/melee is certainly more balanced, particularly if it's just 1 melee round you get to do it for.

I think we assume the 4 melees because otherwise, a duration of how many melees actually isn't specified, and it it were intended to be just 1 then 'per melee' is an odd way to present it.

I don't think your analysis takes into account the "can regenerate as often as once every other minute" bit in the lesser healer power. If it just lasted 1 minute then you'd definitely be slower.
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

If it doesn't have a duration listed, why not assume its a one shot.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.

Return to “Nightbane®”