Nightbane game through time

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Nightbane game through time

Unread post by Zenvis »

I was considering a game where Nightbane would fight against an escaped Nightlord and chase them through the avenues of time. Everyone likes a reoccurring villain so am I wrong in creating that style of story and how would you address it?
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Tinker Dragoon
Supreme Being

Re: Nightbane game through time

Unread post by Tinker Dragoon »

Are you talking about a time-travel campaign, or actually starting the campaign in antiquity and slowly progressing through history? Both are workable, but each has its peculiarities.
There you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles of trials with smiles. It riles
them to believe that you perceive the web they weave
and keep on thinking free.

-- The Moody Blues, In the Beginning
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

*would like to see Renet Tilley become a Night Priestess*
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Razorwing
Hero

Unread post by Razorwing »

Tor wrote:*would like to see Renet Tilley become a Night Priestess*

Savanti Romero seems like a more likely candidate.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Tinker Dragoon wrote:Are you talking about a time-travel campaign, or actually starting the campaign in antiquity and slowly progressing through history? Both are workable, but each has its peculiarities.

Not time travel but create a scenario that is not the present. Show a side of the secret war that brings out the myths and legends that we know today; like the legends of the Black Forest or wars of the crusades. Is Gangis Khan a night prince? Is Frankenstein's monster a nightbane? I want to explore an alternate version of time. If I dont have the time for it I want to at least create an article for it. I think that the Rifter would love it.
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
SlaytheDragon
D-Bee

Unread post by SlaytheDragon »

What if the Nightlords have developed Time Traveling technology or magics of some sort, and have replaced various figure heads from history with Doppelgangers, in some twisted scheme to alter the fabric of time so that the Nightlords may benefit?? It's just a thought that popped into my head. It could be very interesting to see players follow a Nightlord's journey through time. Maybe one of the players is actually seen in Nightbane form and actually helps create the idea of Frankenstein's Monster or what have you? Could be interesting.
Do not go gentle into that good night. Rage, Rage against the dying of the light. - Dylan Thomas
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

SlaytheDragon wrote:What if the Nightlords have developed Time Traveling technology or magics of some sort, and have replaced various figure heads from history with Doppelgangers, in some twisted scheme to alter the fabric of time so that the Nightlords may benefit?? It's just a thought that popped into my head. It could be very interesting to see players follow a Nightlord's journey through time. Maybe one of the players is actually seen in Nightbane form and actually helps create the idea of Frankenstein's Monster or what have you? Could be interesting.

Now that's a sweet idea! You would need a villain that is either one step ahead or is from an alternate time line that is trying to insure their success or something cool like that.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Razorwing wrote:

Guess I assumed he'd go Prince/Lord.

Given that she doesn't have psychic abilities and is pretty young, Renet might plausibly be a Latent Nightbane not yet undergone her Becoming. That'd be pretty neat.

The mutant girl in TMNT issue 16, it'd be interesting to wonder, is she a deformed girl with the Morphus that appears like a normal girl, or a normal girl whose Morphus somehow manifested at birth?
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Unread post by Glistam »

Tor wrote:
Razorwing wrote:

Given that she doesn't have psychic abilities and is pretty young, Renet might plausibly be a Latent Nightbane not yet undergone her Becoming. That'd be pretty neat.

The mutant girl in TMNT issue 16, it'd be interesting to wonder, is she a deformed girl with the Morphus that appears like a normal girl, or a normal girl whose Morphus somehow manifested at birth?

None of the above. She was a mutant who, through time travel, removed her mutation and her reason for time traveling in the first place.
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

In THAT timeline, yes.

But considering the paradox that creates, my theory is that this was corrected by one of the Time Lord bosses who know the reversion spell that cancels everything out, which explains why 16/22/23 are not a part of the canon timeline.

So in the post-correction timeline, maybe she ends up being a Latent?

Or what if the chemicals that she thought mutated her merely stressed her fetus enough to induce a premature Becoming?
Razorwing
Hero

Tor wrote:
Razorwing wrote:

I remember reading somewhere... can't remember exactly where off hand, that in the process of learning magic, a latent Nightbane will trigger will often trigger their Becoming once they cast their first spell. Something about the process of learning magic awakens whatever it is that is inside them that makes them Nightbane. Since Renet has learned to cast a few spells and hasn't Become, she won't.
There are three types of people in the world; those who can count and those who can't.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Huh... I don't see it under Nightbane Sorcerer, I wonder where else to find this if it's out there. Do you think in the main or a WB like Between/Through ?

Nightlands 88 has a NB sorc who had Becoming during a horse-riding lesson, doesn't specify if he had cast a spell yet, but had had been studying its principles and is described as learning to 'hone' his 'magical and natural' abilities. I would put Talents under 'natural' so 'magical' might refer to him already having spell-casting abilities.

Nightlands 94 has a NB mystic who had Becoming during a ritual ceremony done to awaken his powers, could that be where you got the impression? Seems more like coincidence than requirement.
Razorwing
Hero

Tor wrote:Huh... I don't see it under Nightbane Sorcerer, I wonder where else to find this if it's out there. Do you think in the main or a WB like Between/Through ?

Nightlands 88 has a NB sorc who had Becoming during a horse-riding lesson, doesn't specify if he had cast a spell yet, but had had been studying its principles and is described as learning to 'hone' his 'magical and natural' abilities. I would put Talents under 'natural' so 'magical' might refer to him already having spell-casting abilities.

Nightlands 94 has a NB mystic who had Becoming during a ritual ceremony done to awaken his powers, could that be where you got the impression? Seems more like coincidence than requirement.

Finally found the source... Rifter 48, FAQ, pg 25, last question. Basically states what I said... that casting their first spell usually causes a potential Nightbane to undergo their Becoming... forcing them to become either a Sorcerer or Mystic (of the Nightbane variety), which ever is more appropriate to the magical OCC they were trying to become. Those who don't Become, do master the specific OCC they were trying to be, but will never become Nightbane. Additionally, no Nightbane (potential or realized) can bond with an Alien Intelligence, Elemental Force or similar beings, thus they can never become Witches, Channellers or Warlocks in the first place... such paths to power will not work for them.

And yes, these are official answers.
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

Huh, okay, that's new =/ Mark/Irvin/Kevin... wonder if CJ had intended that.

I get confused when they put "Official" in quotes like that. Don't you normally do quotes like that to draw things into doubt?

This whole thing is clearly of the Nightbane 2.0 (Dark Conversions, Survival Guide) flavor, since it also talks about Nightbane having siblings and stuff, in contrast to the mysterious orphan origins CJ set up.

This also isn't the only new material, it adds the Mirrorwalk ability to Hounds/Houndmasters/Hunters (not sure about Great Hounds from Nightlands, not mentioned). This is in response to a question about Hounds being described as using Mirrors to travel. Does anyone know what that refers to? I'm wondering if it could be explained through other means like Nightlords hiring Mirrormages to transport their troops.

Also adding spell strength bonuses to non-Mystics is cool, can roll with it. Shadow Warlocks still lack any other bonuses though :)

The rules for body blocks and judo throws are also weird. Why is it that a normal person needs to roll pull punch to lower the damage of these maneuvers to 1 point, but someone with supernatural strength is able to do that automatically? Shouldn't they also have to make that roll?

Return to “Nightbane®”