How do Doppelgangers, Hounds etc get to our world?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

ghost2020
Adventurer

How do Doppelgangers, Hounds etc get to our world?

Unread post by ghost2020 »

How do Doppelgangers, Hounds, etc get to our world from the Nightlands?

I don't recall them having any mirrorwalk abilities.
BookWyrm
Champion
Comment: Mondos non cogitarus, Consilium!

Re: How do Doppelgangers, Hounds etc get to our world?

Unread post by BookWyrm »

With the Nightlands now more aligned with Earth since Dark Day, a number of Nightlord & Night Princes have sent squads to Earth, mostly at the command of Moloch but a few also send forces to bolster their own position in the Nightlords' hierarchy.
Without the capacity to MirrowWalk in most of their forces, some Nightlords & Princes have Shadow-Mages & Witches open portals from secure locations in the Nighlands equivalents of each city (Moloch rules Doom's Harbor, the Nightlands counterpart to New York City) wihich open on the same locations on Earth. Most are underground with connecting abandoned or 'closed for maintenance' subway tunnels. These provide excellent sites to move large numbers quickly around a city with little to no interference (who's going to miss the odd maintenance worker in these troubled times?). Not to mention the odd random portal that pops up occasionally in the Nightlands that sweeps the odd pack of creatures to Earth unexpectedly.....
"Yes, I know I'm going to hell; I'm bringing marshmallows."
BookWyrm aka The Horn'd One
Str-8 male Dom/Top;
Honourable but not gullible;
a Hero of the Megaverse. :D
ghost2020
Adventurer

How about the mirror walk? A few pics show doppelgangers coming through mirrors, was that an omission or they actually do not have that ability?
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

I don't recall seeing that ability. Nightlords might employ some Mirror Mages to Create Scroll and give the scrolls to dopplegangers they're gonna send.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
ghost2020
Adventurer

Nightlords already have the ability.

I would imagine the doppelgangers, masters, ashmedai,and hounds, etc get through via 'official means', and renegade types get through via other portals or gates.
Tor
Palladin
Comment: If you have something to say, back it up with thoughts and reasons. Simply posting to agree or disagree tends to be a waste.

Unread post by Tor »

Maybe they just use big Dimensional Portal dumps.

Or a 2-step Astral Portal means would be cheaper.

Could be a major function of the Nightlords' astral realms: act as a mid-point for astral-portal dropping of Dopplegangers.
"1st edition? 2nd edition? It doesnt matter! Let's just talk" -Forums of the Megaverse
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

I always thought temporary rifts.
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Tor
Palladin

Unread post by Tor »

That's what Dimensional Portal creates, Astral Portal more cheaply.
SittingBull
Hero
Comment: "Its not the destination that matters, its the journey along the way."

Unread post by SittingBull »

Oh sorry, same thing different title. ^^
"Understanding is a three-edged sword."
Kosh from Babylon 5
"You don't understand, so you find excuses."
Doctor Who
"Peace has made you weak. Victory has defeated you."
Bane
Sir_Spirit
Invisible Pink Unicorn

Unread post by Sir_Spirit »

Hounds and hunters can mirror walk.
Damn ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol! Damn everyone who won’t damn ICE/BCP/Border Patrol!! Damn everyone that won’t put lights in his windows and sit up all night damning CE/BCP/BorderPatrol!!!
If you support ICE/BCP/BorderPatrol at this point, you would have called the Gestapo on the people surreptitiously moving into your neighbor's attic and huffed that you were only following the law.
flatline
Knight

Unread post by flatline »

Tor wrote:That's what Dimensional Portal creates, Astral Portal more cheaply.

Could you expand on this a bit?
I don't care about canon answers. I'm interested in good, well-reasoned answers and, perhaps, a short discussion of how that answer is supported or contradicted by canon.

If I don't provide a book and page number, then don't assume that I'm describing canon. I'll tell you if I'm describing canon.
Ed
Adventurer

Unread post by Ed »

flatline wrote:
Tor wrote:That's what Dimensional Portal creates, Astral Portal more cheaply.

Could you expand on this a bit?

I took it to mean an astral portal from the night lands to the astral, then from the astral to the "real" world.
Ed
Lord Loppage
D-Bee

Unread post by Lord Loppage »

Sir_Spirit wrote:Hounds and hunters can mirror walk.

No they can not. This has been a talked about so often due to the pictures. Although the pics are cool looking, they are incorrect. They were commissioned before all the rules were set in the game. So they are send by a Nighlord, Avatar, or summoned by a night priest, or Mirror mage (or anyone really with a summon spell).
Lord Loppage
D-Bee

Unread post by Lord Loppage »

And now I’ve been corrected. Hounds, Hunters, and Houndmasters do have the mirror walk ability as per Rifter #48.
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Lord Loppage wrote:And now I’ve been corrected. Hounds, Hunters, and Houndmasters do have the mirror walk ability as per Rifter #48.

:ok:
Great! Thanks, I was not aware of that! Thanks for bringing it to everyone's attention.
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Axelmania
Knight

Unread post by Axelmania »

Lord Loppage wrote:And now I’ve been corrected. Hounds, Hunters, and Houndmasters do have the mirror walk ability as per Rifter #48.

>Mark Oberle, Irvin Jackson and Kevin Siembieda
>not Carella

We should honestly consider this and Survival Guide to be "Nightbane 2nd Edition". Without Carella they've basically been taking his content in new directions.

"the same as Nightbane" suddenly makes mere Hounds more proficient with Mirrorwalking than Shadow Warlocks.

If you must give it to someone, give it only to the Hound Masters IMO and require them for transporting normal hounds and hunters across.

Return to “Nightbane®”