Channeller Question: How is the Source Affected?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Antimony
D-Bee

Channeller Question: How is the Source Affected?

Unread post by Antimony »

On page 14 of Through the Glass Darkly, near the bottom of the page under the heading, Random Source of Channeller's Powers, subsection 26-35, it lists a "powerful Guardian" as a potential source. Presuming that Guardian in question (ideally, I imagine, an NPC) has a character sheet with all stats and powers included, would she be affected in any way, if at all? How would you go about translating that into "game terms"?

Was this ever addressed in any Rifters or later Nightbane books? (I only have Nightbane, Between the Shadows, Nightlands, and Through the Glass Darkly.)

If it's never been explained how it affects Guardian (or Nightlord, or anything that has stats, for that matter), how would it affect them?How powerful would said Guardian have to be before she could induce such an event?

My (rough) thoughts on the matter, if it hasn't ever been considered:

1. The Guardian (Nightlord, whatever; though I'll use Guardian as the example) must be willing to sacrifice, or otherwise "invest" her powers to the Channeller, essentially leasing her powers out to another. In this fashion, the Guardian's own powers, like sharing a pitcher of water, are reduced. So, if she "leases" 45 P.P.E. to the channeller as a "reserve," she no longer has access to that P.P.E.

2. The Channeller cannot "learn" an ability from the source that the source doesn't know. So, if the Guardian doesn't know the spell, "Magic Armor" (level 3), then neither will the Channeller. If she cannot draw on ley line energy, neither can the Channeller. While this may cause a "loss" of powers the Channeller may ordinarily have, it can also provide a few more that he doesn't: healing by a touch, creating light force fields, flight, etc. Whatever the Guardian is willing to lend.

3. While her Channeller is infused with such power, the Guardian's own powers will be reduced, rather than nullified. Perhaps by the level of her Channeler? For example, if she's level 10 and her channeller level one, her powers work as though she were level 9 (minus the P.P.E. she's lent).

4. Since investors do so expecting a return, there may or may not be one. While "invested," the Guardian receives 10% of all experience earned by her Channeller (tithing, if you will). She can try to take more, but in the heart of Nightbane, there is a chance her Channeller will be adversely affected (create a living spell, transform him into a mirror of her greed, kill him, turn him into a vegetable . . .). Furthermore, she gains a further 50% of his experience if she takes all her power back.

5. An ability the Guardian also receives is to experience what her Channeller experiences. Five P.P.E. or I.S.P. grants her one sense of choice (Sight, Touch, Hearing etc) for one minute per her real level. So, 25 points would allow her to experience everything her Channeller does. Fifteen points allow her to read his mind, no saves allowed. (Woe betide the Channeller whose Source is The Dark, a Nightlord, or any other evil being. :twisted: )

The Guardian could be "any" level beyond one, provided she's willing to part with her powers.

Disclaimer: I don't have Dragons & Gods yet, though I presume similar, probably better, ideas could be found there, as well.
:rose:
Dlanaan
D-Bee

Re: Channeller Question: How is the Source Affected?

Unread post by Dlanaan »

When speaking of a powerful Guardian, my thought is that this Guardian is one of the Elders, possibly one of the ones that resides in or around the Void in the Astral Plane. The channeler's source should absolutely not be a PC, as the power level necessary to even provide the ability would be inappropriate for almost any campaign.

I note your disclaimer about not having Dragons and Gods, but the book, as I recall, answers how most 'gods' divvy their powers. Unlike priests, though, Channelers typically are not going around spreading the word of their source, especially if they do not know who or what the source is. Nevertheless, as you note, their is likely some form of investment that the source is seeking. It is up to the GM to decide how that investment will be achieved.
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Nothing indicates that giving a Channeler powers effects the granter in any way, although there is nothing saying one way or the other.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Antimony
D-Bee

Guess depends on the Source?

Cool. Thanks for the answers. :)

I can definitely see only a powerful (Elder) Guardian being able to grant a Channeller powers.

My thoughts on a Nightlord doing this, however, have always been centered around the why factor. As in, why would a nearly omnipotent being deign to give an insect powers? There's got to be a catch or a fine print to this "deal," acknowledged or otherwise. If there's something the Nightlord gets out of it, whether it's simple, dream-inspired blackmail (Do this, or you'll lose all these amazing powers . . . ) Or experience (a paltry prize, considering all the power they already have).

Golly, I had many sudden thoughts on how a reputably immortal being could make an unsuspecting, empowered human squirm . . . :twisted: (With or without power number 4 on my potential examples for benefits to the Source.)

I was also under the impression that a Source could cast a spell through the Channeller even if the Channeller was unaware or unwilling to cast that spell. :-?
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Antimony, you can PM Warwolf and get an "official" answer. But, I warn you he's rarely on the boards anymore, so you may have to wait awhile.
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Nekira Sudacne
Monk
Comment: The Munchkin Fairy

Unread post by Nekira Sudacne »

Mr. Jays wrote:Antimony, you can PM Warwolf and get an "official" answer. But, I warn you he's rarely on the boards anymore, so you may have to wait awhile.

Actually warwolf is a freelancer. he isn't able to give "offical" answers for anything that hasn't been cleared with Kevin and Co, though he could probablly get one.
Sometimes, you're like a beacon of light in the darkness, giving me some hope for humankind. ~ Killer Cyborg

You can have something done good, fast and cheap. If you want it done good and fast, it's not going to be cheap. If you want it done fast and cheap it won't be good. If you want something done good and cheap it won't be done fast. ~ Dark Brandon
Mr. Jays
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Mr. Jays »

Nekira Sudacne wrote:
Mr. Jays wrote:Antimony, you can PM Warwolf and get an "official" answer. But, I warn you he's rarely on the boards anymore, so you may have to wait awhile.

Actually warwolf is a freelancer. he isn't able to give "offical" answers for anything that hasn't been cleared with Kevin and Co, though he could probablly get one.

True. That's why "official" is in quotes. But he is the current main (and only) writer for Nightbane at the moment.
--- author of "All Quiet on the Western.....What?" Rifter 84
Antimony
D-Bee

Thank you!

Cool. Thanks for responding, guys. :)

Return to “Nightbane®”