Dark design? Is it still going to come out?

For the discussion of Nightbane™ and its supplements.

Moderators: Immortals, Supreme Beings, Old Ones

Nytemare Rhosyn
D-Bee

Dark design? Is it still going to come out?

Unread post by Nytemare Rhosyn »

Just wondering, because no word on the dark design progress forums. Has it been shelved? or is it still just being examined for spelling errors?
would love a word from someone up there of the fate of this book for nightbane. Is it real or is it that nightbane/nightspawn, is bieng killed off?
Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador
Comment: The silent thief of Rozrehxeson.

Re: Dark design? Is it still going to come out?

Unread post by Glistam »

What is Dark Designs?
Zerebus: "I like MDC. MDC is a hundred times better than SDC."

kiralon: "...the best way to kill an old one is to crash a moon into it."

Temporal Wizard O.C.C. update 0.8 | Rifts random encounters
New Fire magic | New Temporal magic
Grim Gulf, the Nightlands version of Century Station

Let Chaos Magic flow in your campaigns.
auyl
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by auyl »

Glistam wrote:What is Dark Designs?

It's a book that Warwolf was working on. Haven't heard anything about it lately but I believe he's still working on it.
Nytemare Rhosyn
D-Bee

no clue theirs been no words. id not be surprised if it got axed. rifts is top dog ya know... makes me sad nb is a fun as hell game
Nytemare Rhosyn
D-Bee

also iv msg'd warwolf a bit back iv gotten no repsonse im assuming its dead
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Nytemare Rhosyn wrote:also iv msg'd warwolf a bit back iv gotten no repsonse im assuming its dead

"It's not dead. Its just pining, for the Fjords." :lol: :angel:
(Sorry, couldn't resist. On a more serious note considering the turn around on books I would not be surprised to see it come out next month, next year, or next decade. The release schedule is....spotty. Especially where Freelancers are concerned.)
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Nytemare Rhosyn
D-Bee

well i could care less really when as long as its soon. an actual notice that yes its coming out or something. i reference the 2 bts books that are still coming soon....
Shawn Merrow
Palladium Books® Freelance Writer
Comment: For the glory of Zeon and Zerebus, Sieg Zeon!

2D6 Palladium Forum History Geek Points

Unread post by Shawn Merrow »

Warwolf has posted before do to a busy schedule he does not come here very often. The last post he made about the book says he was still working on it.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Nytemare Rhosyn
D-Bee

reread it got finnished actually 100 % just no word what became of it when it got done
Shawn Merrow

Post subject: Re: Dark Designs Progress

That post says he is still playtesting it and has not submitted it yet.

"Flandre, no Molotov cocktails indoors, please." - Hime from Princess Resurrection
Nytemare Rhosyn
D-Bee

week ot two till i submit final draft an while waiting iv been playtesting... plz reread what he posted. were most likly waiting on palladium to decide if it wants the book or not
Zenvis
Megaversal® Ambassador Coordinator

Unread post by Zenvis »

What ever happened to the Blood Moon manuscript?
Everything you can imagine is real. - Pablo Picasso
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
My Blog and My Other Blog
Shawn Merrow

Zenvis wrote:What ever happened to the Blood Moon manuscript?

That was cancelled a long time ago.

Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Shawn Merrow wrote:

Awe man.
Imagination is more important than knowledge." but knowledge does help. - Albert Einstein
The gift of fantasy has meant more to me than my talent for absorbing positive knowledge. - Albert Einstein
eliakon
Palladin
Comment: Palladium Books Canon is set solely by Kevin Siembieda, either in person, or by his approval of published material.

Unread post by eliakon »

Zenvis wrote:
Shawn Merrow wrote:

Awe man.

Was that the one that was going to be the weres based on the Rifter article?
The rules are not a bludgeon with which to hammer a character into a game. They are a guide to how a group of friends can get together to weave a collective story that entertains everyone involved. We forget that at our peril.

Edmund Burke wrote:The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

Yup. Rifter 5 & 6.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Zenvis wrote:Yup. Rifter 5 & 6.

Yeah, then that would be pretty much a non-starter for an actual game book. There is pretty much no way that you could get those worked up with out running into massive legal problems. To be honest I was surprised that they were able to do the Rifters.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

I think Nightbane might benefit from a high-level world book, discussing the Nightlord invasion and various factions across the world, not just North America.

Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

I think you are right.
eliakon
Palladin

Unread post by eliakon »

Nightbane, right now, has a couple major problems going for it. The first is that the various different authors have tried to take things in various different directions. This culminated in the Shadows of Light book that may (or may not have) be 'de-canonized'. The different books have been pretty cool, but they are almost like they are for different games. The world assumptions in 'Between the Shadows' is hard to reconcile with the world assumptions in Nightlands. Neither of those really meshes well with Shadows of Light or Through the Glass Darkly. The Survival Guide goes back and tries to retcon things even more.....
To be honest I love the setting....but it REALLY needs some serious love. The start of that would probably have to be a total reboot to make sure that the story line fits all the stuff that has been added (If there are there are all these astral PCCs...why is the Beach Head supplied by a pyramid? That's just one trivial example) Part of this would probably require that some of the basic questions actually be answered. Its cool to say that The Dark is something mysterious, or that Darkday is a mystery, or that no one knows where the Nightlords really comes from....IF your going to do just one book and leave it at that. But every book SINCE then has offered some sort of 'official' view on most of these...most of which are incompatable. You cant have BOTH the government totally unaware of the supernatural AND about to invade the nightlands. You cant have the Dark be a trapped abomination, AND be the embodiment of un-life. You can't have the cult of night be a tool of the nightlords AND a tool used to usurp them. I could go on and on.

Glistam
Megaversal® Ambassador

Unread post by Glistam »

What helps in dealing with this is that all the Nightbane books are written from a pseudo third person in-world perspective which presents its information as "this is what we know." Based on observations and collected data, the info presented is what has been "best guess" figured out. In some cases it contradicts because newer info came to light. In other cases the contradiction is caused by just wild speculation.

Of course that just masks the underlying problem, of the people who write the books having different ideas and taking things to different places. Unfortunately, it'll never go back to the first book's ideas. Kevin has already decided to distance himself from them and I think at best, we just hope and pray he doesn't decide to make the drivel in the Dark Conversions book canon for Nightbane.

I think a new book that could address these questions (if they aren't already addressed in the books today) would be a welcome addition to the Nightbane world:
  • Across the world, how are the various factions represented? Is there cooperation across national and continental borders?
  • What new factions are there, and are some of the factions we're familiar with just ultimately a subset of a larger, more global faction?
  • How has the Nightlord invasion strengthened or weakened national identity in various countries and throughout the factions?
  • Are there countries where the rulers are protected (either secretly or openly) by Nightbane? Could such a place become a safe haven free from the Nightlord rule? Could such a place last, or would Nightlord-controlled global politics destroy it?
  • Do the Nightlords have global goals? Are they instigating wars?
  • Are there any other Nightlords opposed to Moloch, and are they more successful in their machinations than the ones we currently know about?
  • I found this old thread about naming Nightland cities across the country and the world, something like this would be cool information to include.
  • A small section/note which discusses suggestions for how to adjust the Nightbane timeline forward (or backwards), and how changes in technology might affect a campaign where Darkday happened in a different (more recent?) year.
  • An updated equipment list.
  • Instead of new O.C.C.'s (thought there will probably be at least a few), discuss how to adjust the current O.C.C.'s to fit in different parts of the world. Include some new skills appropriate to those parts of the world.

I'd also be happy with a book focusing on adventures (like how BTS1 had "Boxed Nightmares"). Just some pre-made adventures, N.P.C.'s and scenarios for G.M.'s to either use in their campaigns or as one-shots.

The Beast
Demon Lord Extraordinaire
Comment: You probably think this comment is about you, don't you?

Unread post by The Beast »

Sinding stole Hircine's ring.
Zenvis

Unread post by Zenvis »

The Beast wrote:

What does that mean?
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Nytemare Rhosyn wrote:week ot two till i submit final draft an while waiting iv been playtesting... plz reread what he posted. were most likly waiting on palladium to decide if it wants the book or not

Actually, what I wrote was that it should only take a week or two of work once I got back all of my proofreader comments. For a change, I was right on the money with that prediction as I got the last installment of feedback at the beginning of January, spent a week down with the flu and another working overtime without time to devote to editing.

As to whether or not the book will come out I obviously can't guarantee, but I'm 7-for-7 on submissions so far.

So, long story short, NOW we wait to see what Palladium does with it. But I'm pretty confident we'll see it in print sooner rather than later. :)

For more info, check out the progress thread.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me
Warwolf
Comment: I am the Alpha of the Omega...
...The First of The Last...
...and this is the beginning of your end.

Unread post by Warwolf »

Zenvis wrote:
The Beast wrote:

What does that mean?

It was an Elder Scrolls joke from what I gather.
Yeah, everytime I see a blazingly obvious moron walking the streets... I think, "score one for the creationists..." ~ DLDC
Warwolf is right... you can sig that. ~ TGK
I refuse to participate in a battle of wits with an unarmed man. ~ Me

Return to “Nightbane®”